daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Old March 9th, 2006, 04:46 PM   #41
rolybling
CAN'T BE ARSED

Likes (Received): 20

nice one longy, that'll do me

can see jrb's point and NB's, the last we heard the owner was opposed to these plans and wanted it for himself, although he has had long enough and done f*** all.

I wasn't keen on these plans myself at first but on reflection its better than yet more flats, it would be good if the public got use out of it.

Sponsored Links

Old March 9th, 2006, 05:04 PM   #42
GShutty

Likes (Received): 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbeach
Still not entirely sure what the current owner's motives are mind. I know he is opposed to this idea and would prefer the option of having this building as offices (his own HQ) and a hotel, but then why hasn't he done anything about that? Slowly dilapidating by the day it needs a signature asap.
I like this idea though - hopefully the courtyard would be open to all during none events/daytime. I hope they draft in a responsible architect for the glazed roof, the last thing the building wants is a plastic glass roof a la piccadilly station.
Sounds like it would be opened to the public most of the time, with eating space and music shops. Sounds reminiscent of the Old Corn Exchange, independent traders et al (now Traingle), but shinier and music based. Also I have faith that the roof would be of high quality, hopefully along the lines that the Royal Mills promises (that can't be far off).

With the Piccadilly Partnership and the council well behind it and using the 2007 International Festival as the excuse they've needed to get things going, i'm optimistic about this scheme. It also fits into the Music Museum idea that was bandied about ~12months ago.
Old March 9th, 2006, 05:51 PM   #43
Northbeach
A roussos is for life.

Likes (Received): 1

It's you Shuttleworth isn't it...you are the owner.
Any tasters as to the quality of architects/developers Longfellows?
Northbeach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 06:05 PM   #44
Northbeach
A roussos is for life.

duplicate post

Last edited by Northbeach; March 9th, 2006 at 06:14 PM.
Old March 9th, 2006, 06:08 PM   #45
Northbeach
A roussos is for life.

Good point Shutty - I'd forgotten about the museum idea.
Aye, as I mentioned in the past I was rather hoping for such quality along the lines of the great court at the british musuem rather than the one over my mums neighbours car port.

'Lets rock'.

Old March 9th, 2006, 06:41 PM   #46
The Longford
Benefit Scrounger

Likes (Received): 7

Sworn to secrecy at the moment - sorry guys - but being in the civic society has its benefits sometimes. The civic society have been campaigning on this one for a while. I'll let you know as soon as we get the nod (although i suspect it will be announced to the press at the same time as the civic society). This will be resolved very soon - unless a certain individual cuts his nose off to spite his face.
Old March 10th, 2006, 10:28 AM   #47
BeardedGenius
Clean-shaven and foolish

C'est possiblé?

Compulsory purchase order (CPO) is a legal function in the United Kingdom, and also in the Republic of Ireland. It is, more specifically, a Private Act - it allows certain bodies which need to obtain land or property to do so - without the consent of the owner. It may be used when building motorways where a land owner does not want to sell, they may be given a compulsory purchase order. Similarly, if town councils wish to develop a town centre - they may hand out compulsory purchase orders.
insane love of football, of celebration and of music."
Eric Daniel Pierre Cantona
BeardedGenius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 06:58 PM   #48
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 2190

A few interesting articles from this week's EGI. I'll scan and post them this evening.
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 07:10 PM   #49
Northbeach
A roussos is for life.

We owe you a lot JRB - many thanks 'ah kid'.
Old March 27th, 2006, 08:48 PM   #50
jrb
10th February 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbeach
We owe you a lot JRB - many thanks 'ah kid'.
£3.95 precisely mate.

Give us half an hour.
Old March 27th, 2006, 10:24 PM   #51
jrb
10th February 2008

Chris you have mail.

Old March 27th, 2006, 10:30 PM   #52
The Longford
Benefit Scrounger

Likes (Received): 7

I think the key phrase is "Ultimately the council has powers....."
From what i understand there is a 'force of will' to get this sorted and what Sir Howard wants he usually gets.
Old March 27th, 2006, 11:22 PM   #53
Farsight

Likes (Received): 131

That's a shot across the bows if ever I saw one. Thanks jrb. You're a veritable mine of golden nuggets.
Farsight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 11:47 PM   #54
jrb
10th February 2008

A few points from the article.

Quote:
But the future of the £280m scheme hangs on a hotel prelet. Last November, the developer said that a deal with an operator for the 220 bed Hotel was close to completion. Today, the company said it was two months away.
Is this true or just opportunistic journalism? If it is true, surely Albany's plans to include a 5* Hotel in their Crown Tower Scheme could be deterring any would be Eastgate Hotel operator? Don't forget the City Inn Hotel is already under construction, and there are also plans for hotels at the London Road Fire Station and the former BT building, also on London Road.

Anyone?

Quote:
Sir Howard is also favoring Liverpool-based developer Albany Assets proposed redevelopment of the Crown Buildings into a 44 storey containing flats and offices. The plans are at an early stage.
No mention of the 5* Hotel, and the plans are at an early stage. Early stage?
Old March 28th, 2006, 12:04 AM   #55
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 45

If shouldnt really put off hotels, there are already afew around town but there arnt that many that are top class. Most of them are your £50 one night things. If you go to somewhere like London, Paris or New York, there are 100s of hotels that arnt in Manchester. I would have throught most hotels would be killing for the chance to be such a building, that is best location that you could have in the city. Its next to the main train station which handles over 50,000 people a day.
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2006, 05:50 AM   #56
rolybling
CAN'T BE ARSED

thanks jrb you're a star on this forum,

also noted those things you pointed out, Early stage for Albany? that doesn't sound right, they said work would start on it early this year so that doesn't sound like early stages to me.

I don't think Mr Langsam is gonna budge, he's sure to dig his heels in, I reckon the council will need to go the CPO route with that one.
Old March 31st, 2006, 10:48 AM   #57
macc

another mention of the fire station and a possible apartment block opposite, though I'm not exactly sure where he's talking about.

http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/ho...ooking_up.html
posted 22nd March
---
Across town, the Piccadilly area is buzzing with developments including the towers of Albany and Inacity. While these skyscrapers will provide the swanky accommodation for Manchester's new downtown area, David Partridge, deputy chief executive of developers Argent and chairman of the Piccadilly Partnership, is more worried about where the key workers and first time buyers will live.

His answer is a new build block, , on a prominent site opposite the London Road Fire Station where 150 one and two beds apartments will be offered on a shared equity basis of 75 per cent with the option to be able to buy the other 25 per cent over the years.

The land is jointly owned by the city council and the GMPTE who could also benefit from the development. Partridge said: "We want key workers and young people to be able to live in the heart of the city. We want them to be able to put £50 down and move in! There will be no rent to pay on the remaining quarter and they will be able to staircase up."

And he is also gathering support for Argent's plan to turn the listed but lifeless old Fire Station building into a music `hub' with live music, big events, recording studios and hotel.
macc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2006, 04:35 PM   #58
jrb
10th February 2008

Straight in, straight out, SAS style.

For those of a sensitive nature, look away now.

Shocking!

Old March 31st, 2006, 05:36 PM   #59
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 333

It could be great!
Accura4Matalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2006, 11:44 AM   #60
Latic

Likes (Received): 0

The potential there is amazing! Just imagine a glass domed roof, cafe's, a fountain in the middle with a little stage for music. It could be a great place.
Action must be taken now!!!