daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Old June 13th, 2008, 09:47 PM   #101
rolybling
CAN'T BE ARSED

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Longford View Post
Talk is cheap.
Correct.

This has dragged on for..how long?

Will the council grow some balls and sort it out?

Sponsored Links

Old June 13th, 2008, 11:00 PM   #102
GShutty

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolybling View Post
This has dragged on for..how long? Will the council grow some balls and sort it out?
I think it's a bit harsh blaming the council (not havin' a go or owt Roly). They have been plenty vociferous and outspoken in their criticism of the neglect and apathy that the current owners have shown and they're giving them every chance to take the initiative and get on with the redevelopment/ restoration of this architectural gem. I think in these circumstances a CPO would be a massive deal and something that could 'probably' be successfully contended and thus both a massive fruitless expense for the council and reinforce the current owners position.

I think with the current raft of redevelopment in this area, Piccadilly Place, Piccadilly Tower & Sleeperz to name 3 in immediate vacinity and Picc Basin, just around the corner, it will surely make commercial sense for the current owners to either sell, or indeed redevelop themselves. It fast becoming city centre rather than city fringe.

Here's hoping....
Old June 14th, 2008, 07:17 AM   #103
rolybling
CAN'T BE ARSED

Fair comment GShutty, I suppose it was my frustration at watching this beautiful building being left to rot that made me blame the council, but after reading what you say I think you're probably right. I just wish it was sorted sooner rather than later.
Old June 14th, 2008, 12:40 PM   #104
uklad1979
BANNED

Likes (Received): 122

Well they may have £250m at the council soon so why not buy the building and move it brick by brick to Eastlands and use it as a music venue. It will create jobs, a music venue will be more useful to the people of Eastlands and everyone who loves that building will be happy. Then Britania can use the empty site to build a hotel that resembles that crap concrete block they call their Airport hotel and even add a few cockroaches to kitchen intime for the hotels opening.
uklad1979 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2008, 01:20 PM   #105
GShutty

Quote:
Fair comment GShutty, I suppose it was my frustration at watching this beautiful building being left to rot that made me blame the council, but after reading what you say I think you're probably right. I just wish it was sorted sooner rather than later.
It is a disgrace, that such a grand building should be left in such an ill state of repair and that we effectively have to rely on the owners who leave it in this state to do something about it.

I'm encouraged though that the Council are showing a consistent interest and seemingly have a commercial alternative at the ready with the Piccadilly Partnership. They obviously believe there is a commercially viable operation in some form, therefore I don't think we'll be stuck with this debacle indefinitely.

In the meantime it's very frustrating and sticks out like a 'sore thumb' at such a prominent gateway and next door to the main railway station! Aaaaah!
Old June 14th, 2008, 07:37 PM   #106
garethwyn
Manc manqué

Likes (Received): 5

Mmm, what's the betting there will be a very convenient fire there in the future?
garethwyn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2008, 10:04 PM   #107
rolybling
CAN'T BE ARSED

My only problem with the council is maybe their feet aren't moving quickly enough, this thread goes back 3 years give or take, so in 3 years, zilch. And the council was threatening a CPO back then I think.

It's such a "jewel" of a building and I don't think it's being treated with the respect it deserves.

It should be "The Raffles" of Manchester by now, something really upmarket befitting it's wicked architecture.

Don't you agree?
Old June 14th, 2008, 10:17 PM   #108
GShutty

Empty threats I know what you're saying I just don't think the council has the genuine authority or powers to follow through their threats without the strong risk of abject failure and subsequent criticism for taxpayers money being wasted and have resorted to audible expressions of discontent and seemingly fruitless dialogue with the present owners who, when they have bothered to respond have offered the carrot that they are 'drawing up plans'.

As you say it is a jewel and off the top of my head and without attempting to justify my answer, would probably be in the top 10 Victorian buildings in the city (when restored).

Do you think the music museum/expo/venue/hotel was ever a realistic proposal? Old and slightly unrelated topic, but the music, particularly popular culture theme is surely something that the city should be celebrating in a more tangible way than decorated car park railings on the apartment block that used to be the Hacienda and this suggested that it may be it.

I've only seen it from the outside, but Liverpool's Beatle's Hotel (is it called a Hard Day's Night or have I made that up??), seems at first sight to suitably acheive something along these lines for L'pool. I noticed a memorabilia shop and of course they already have a Beatle's museum.
Old June 14th, 2008, 10:24 PM   #109
rolybling
CAN'T BE ARSED

NO! Heaven forbid. I'd really hate to see Manchester have to grasp at straws by having a hotel of all things dedicated to a pop band, the Beatles are the [only] obvious choice for Liverpool but WHO would it be for Manchester?? A tough one.
Old June 14th, 2008, 10:25 PM   #110
uklad1979
BANNED

Likes (Received): 122

Quote:
NO! Heaven forbid. I'd really hate to see Manchester have to grasp at straws by having a hotel of all things dedicated to a pop band, the Beatles are the [only] obvious choice for Liverpool but WHO would it be for Manchester?? A tough one.

Take That the Hotel. They could use Relight My Fire as the wake up alarm.
uklad1979 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2008, 10:30 PM   #111
rolybling
CAN'T BE ARSED

exactly

*shudders*
Old June 14th, 2008, 11:04 PM   #112
Bachy Soletanche

Likes (Received): 1372

Welcome to Atrocity Exhibition, the worlds only Joy Division themed Hotel!

This is the way, step inside!
Bachy Soletanche está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2008, 11:53 PM   #113
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 2578

I know!

A fire museum.
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2008, 02:28 PM   #114
GShutty

I was more trying to draw comparisons with a unique- in terms of the intrinsic link between the city of Liverpool and the Beatles and a seemingly successful boutique hotel with an idea previously muted by the City Council.

For Manchester, there was the added proposal of a music venue and a museum, that rather than a single group would be formed around the city's musical heritage over the decades.

This proposal as said, seemingly had the commercial backing of the Piccadilly Partnership, so there was a workable idea, on paper at least (making the stance of the current owner's ever more frustrating).
Old July 8th, 2008, 11:36 PM   #115
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 2578

BBC NW tonight.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7496547.stm
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 11:40 PM   #116
Chogmook
Mancunian Member

Likes (Received): 50

Some well needed publicity!
Old July 9th, 2008, 12:30 AM   #117
MrGatch

Likes (Received): 0

I've always assumed that I'm missing something with the fire station building - that there must be something that we're not privy to.

It's a great building, it's large, it's in a prime location particularly in light of the city centre focus moving slightly south and it's near Piccadilly Station.

Why has it no been bought and revamped as a hotel??

I have come to the conclusion that it must be haunted!
MrGatch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 12:41 AM   #118
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 126

Brittania Hotels own it and don't want the competition I guess.
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 12:49 AM   #119
Chogmook
Mancunian Member

Likes (Received): 50

Competition? It's outside the door of Piccadilly Station, in a beautiful listed building. If they did it right, it could be one of, if not, the best hotel in Manchester.
Old July 9th, 2008, 10:57 AM   #120
macc

Likes (Received): 20

Brittania have been told by the council in no uncertain circumstances that the courtyard must be available to the public in some form or other. There is no problem with the building itself being a hotel (indeed this is what Brittania want to do) but it must incorporate a scheme that will offer public access to the courtyard, else it will not getting planning permission.

Ideas of a music venue have been batted around but I don't see how this will work with the hotel and apparently neither do Brittania.

There's some talk on another thread about a theatre looking for a home. Could the courtard be used for that, Royal Exchange Style? Either way I think the courtyard should be glassed over to form an atrium. It broadens the options for use.

I think Brittania are holding off until they get their hotel-only way, by threatening to let it dilapidate into rubble.

I'd like to see the coucil make real threats to issue it with a Compulsory Purchase Order and see if that gives the the kick up the arse they need.