daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Skyscrapers & local issues > Projects, Construction, Skyscrapers & Statistics > Queensland > Everything else

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 28th, 2005, 09:24 AM   #1
1_gtar
the gtar man

Likes (Received): 0

Queensland daylight savings

An Ipswich councilor has discovered a loophole in the constitution (or a legal document of some sort) that grants the power fo the federal government to inforce daylight savings without the concent of the Queensland authorities.

Polls that I've heard so far show popularity for the movement.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by 1_gtar; October 29th, 2005 at 03:36 AM.
1_gtar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 28th, 2005, 09:40 AM   #2
NCC1701D

Likes (Received): 10

I'd like it to happen again but I doubt it will happen for a while. I hate the fact that the sun gets up at around 5am in summer and by about 7am it is already 30c. At least it will delay the heat a bit longer if reintroduced. As far as the extra hour of sunlight in the evening, im all for that too but then again it means that it will be hotter till later at night. As far as splitting Queensland into different timezones I dont think that will happen either although there was a push for SEQ to go into daylight savings a while back.

Something interesting: When the sun comes up in say Cairns at around 5am in the middle of summer, the sun is actually coming up at the same time in the South East corner of W.A at the same time (3am WST).
NCC1701D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 09:41 AM   #3
Aussie Bhoy

Likes (Received): 1312

The Feds wouldn't do it, why risk being more unpopular when Beattie is justifiably doing such a magnificent job of it at the moment, so let him make the call (which he won't). Also the Nationals are more powerfull in Qld than in any other state, they would never go for it.

We had it before, and it was voted out
Aussie Bhoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 10:51 AM   #4
BrizzyChris

Likes (Received): 754

It should be brought back, it's friggin stupid that we don't have it.
BrizzyChris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 10:54 AM   #5
neilo63

Likes (Received): 139

I guess i don't have an opinion because i'm not affected.
Old October 28th, 2005, 12:02 PM   #6
Orfeo

Likes (Received): 32

I support daylight savings in the SE, but I really doubt it will be introduced again soon.
Orfeo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 01:23 PM   #7
GMAC
Yeah but No!!

Likes (Received): 19

I grew up in Canberra and its the only thing that I miss in summer. I completely understand that it means the heat lasts for longer but I reckon its worth it. My sister in law doesnt want it cos she reckons she cant eat dinner till its dark, just one of the many stupid arguements against it.
GMAC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 01:38 PM   #8
JayT
Like whatever....

Likes (Received): 538

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_gtar
An Ipswich councilor has discovered a loophole in the constitution (or a legal document of some sort) that grants the power fo the federal government to inforce daylight savings without the concent of the Queensland authorities.

Polls that I've heard so far show popularity for the movement.

Any thoughts?
He should do it. The south east at least needs daylight savings. It pisses me off that the sun comes up at 4 in the morning. Its funny most SEQers voted for daylight savings and yet we were just beaten out by the rural/northern parts of the state. I bet if they did it now we'd win for sure. I've always said they should just cut the state in two during summer, daylight savings in the south east and EST in the north and west. SEQ is already mapped out and we have our own traffic laws - why not different time zones.
Old October 28th, 2005, 01:49 PM   #9
nagelixin
D grade celebrity

Likes (Received): 13

Daylight Savings E~Petition

This online petition you may of seen in numerous emails in the past week. If you support daylight saving vote in the E~petition.

This has had the most votes ever for any online petition by the state.
nagelixin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 02:44 PM   #10
JayT
Like whatever....

Likes (Received): 538

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagelixin
Daylight Savings E~Petition

This online petition you may of seen in numerous emails in the past week. If you support daylight saving vote in the E~petition.

This has had the most votes ever for any online petition by the state.
Just signed and sent a copy off to about 100 people.
Old October 28th, 2005, 02:46 PM   #11
ABS
Captain Awesome

Likes (Received): 6

I DON'T want daylight saving. Getting up in the dark sucks and I really DON'T want to change my clocks. If they implement daylight saving I'm not changing my clocks and I'll just be an hour late for everything. Then again I'm already an hour late for everything anyway...
ABS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 06:57 PM   #12
Malt
Its a sleepy little town

Likes (Received): 119

I hate it,

Time is time.

NSW and Vic are retarded for using it.
Malt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 07:05 PM   #13
ABS
Captain Awesome

For once I ACTUALLY agree with Malt on anything...
Old October 28th, 2005, 07:07 PM   #14
Malt
Its a sleepy little town

Likes (Received): 119

lol :P

And yes, changing clocks etc. its all bs!
Malt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 01:06 AM   #15
nagelixin
D grade celebrity

Push for vote on daylight saving
Malcolm Cole, Emma Chalmers and Michael Corkill
29oct05

PRESSURE for a fresh referendum on daylight saving in Queensland is mounting as 41,000 residents echoed a call by key politicians to demand an end to the time-zone turmoil.

As the southern states prepare to set their clocks forward tonight, Prime Minister John Howard and Labor Party members from all levels of government called for Queensland to join them.

The pressure has been compounded by more than 41,000 people who signed an on-line petition on the Queensland Parliament website calling on the Government to act. It is the largest petition gathered for Queensland's Parliament on any subject.

But Premier Peter Beattie remains steadfastly opposed to the proposal, saying it is not a burning issue for Queenslanders.

"Prior to the last election I gave a commitment (not to introduce daylight saving) and I'm sticking to my commitment," he said.

The issue has been reignited by a letter from Ipswich Councillor Paul Tully to the 226 members of the Federal Parliament urging the Commonwealth to use its constitutional powers to force Queensland to change its clocks in summer.

Mr Howard yesterday responded to Cr Tully's call, saying Queensland should consider implementing two time zones to overcome regional opposition to daylight saving.

"I do think that there is a difference between people who live in say Mount Isa or way out in western Queensland and in north Queensland, and people who live in the south-east corner," he said.

However, Mr Howard declined the call for federal intervention on the issue.

Several Labor members for federal seats in Queensland yesterday encouraged Mr Beattie to officially reopen debate on the subject.

Oxley MP Bernie Ripoll said it was time for Queensland to "get in step with the rest of the country" and he called for a new daylight saving trial.

"I know we had a referendum but that was a fair while ago," Mr Ripoll said. "I think it's time to have a serious look at it again and just get on with it."

Opposition frontbencher Kevin Rudd, member for Griffith, said the issue should be put to voters again in a referendum.

The Labor member for Rankin, Craig Emerson, said Queenslanders should debate the merits of two time zones, with the state divided at the Noosa River.

"We got from the 1992 referendum that people south of the Noosa River support it, but people north of the Noosa River intensely dislike the idea," Dr Emerson said.

One of Mr Beattie's state Labor MPs, Broadwater's Peta-Kaye Croft, said she thought daylight saving would be "terrific" for tourism and for the Gold Coast, but she understood the Premier's position.

Gold Coast mayor Ron Clarke and deputy mayor David Power did not return calls. The mayors of southeast Queensland rural shires including Kilcoy, Gatton, Beaudesert and Esk were vehemently opposed.

"My opinion on daylight saving is if someone wants to start an hour earlier, just do it but don't stuff with the clock," Esk mayor Graeme Lehmann said.

"The cows don't let their milk down any earlier yet you have got the guy driving the milk tanker to pick it up on daylight saving."

Beaudesert Mayor Joy Drescher said: "Personally, I loathe it with a vengeance. It is hard enough to get up in the morning."

North Queensland mayors urged the southeast to go it alone, but said they wanted nothing to do with it.

Townsville Mayor Tony Mooney said opinion in the north was strongly against daylight saving.

"Frankly, the last time this was debated in Queensland and put to a vote, even southeast Queensland voted it down," he said.

Acting Cairns Mayor Margaret Gill said: "We are so far west that we already have our own inbuilt daylight saving."

Mr Beattie's refusal to budge on the issue has been endorsed by Queensland Nationals senator Barnaby Joyce, who said the issue already had been decided in the referendum held in 1992.

The issue has split the newly formed state Coalition. The Nationals are steadfastly opposed to the idea and the Liberal Party is in favour. Deputy Opposition Leader Jeff Seeney said the Nationals were prepared to listen to Liberal calls for a zonal system but "will take a lot of convincing that Queensland needs to be split into two time zones".

Cr Tully said he was pleased his letter had "taken the debate to another level".

http://www.couriermail.news.com.au/c...55E952,00.html
Old October 29th, 2005, 01:07 AM   #16
marty_k
Rant Machine

Likes (Received): 1

Bring daylight savings in now. It really is a major problem with Queensland. So many Mexicans move here and say "it's great, but I really miss daylight savings!" I was one of them.

To anybody who opposes daylight savings, move to another state where they do have it for the entirety of the summer and come back to me. You'll love it.

And don't come back and argue with me; that was an order!
marty_k no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 01:11 AM   #17
nagelixin
D grade celebrity

The online poll has a long time to run before it closes. If the figure gets over say 150k that would be huge. Otherwise I cannot see the current government doing anything. They do not want to rock the boat as they are having enough trouble in the polls regarding the hospitals etc.

2007/8 I think it may happen - IF Beattie is gone and Labor are still in power.
Old October 29th, 2005, 03:10 AM   #18
ABS
Captain Awesome

marty_k if your so in favour of daylight saving piss off and go back to Mexico!

What gives ex-Mexicans the right to whinge about not having daylight saving?
Old October 29th, 2005, 03:28 AM   #19
Orfeo

Likes (Received): 32

^
the same right as you have for expressing your oppinion....

I was born here, but I agree with daylight savings after living in countries which use it. Have you even experienced it for the full period? If not, how can you express an oppinion? At least Marty does have the experience.
Orfeo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 03:38 AM   #20
notra

Likes (Received): 0

I like daylight saving. If Brisbane is pro-development, it also makes good economic sense to have Queensland in-line with doing business in New South Wales and Victoria. Besides to have the time difference for flights between Melbourne and Brisbane ranging from one to 3 hours is madness.
notra no está en línea   Reply With Quote