daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 28th, 2005, 11:28 AM   #1
angel

Likes (Received): 0

maltese skyline...its dynamism and protection

I'm an Architecture student at the University of Malta. At present I am preparing for my dissertation about the Maltese Skyline. The heritage sites are at risk at the moment because of the change in the skyline.

Our skyline was never documented and we have no law to protect it. I'm looking at foreign cities i.e. london, cologne and vienna which at present have the same problem.

I was wondering if anyone can give me any idea of how I can continue my research (i.e. of any books I read or people that i can contact who can help me in the subject) and even your ideas about this particular skyline.

For those who doesn't know of which are i'm talking about attached you will find a photo showing Valletta's skyline. Valletta is our capital city. It is a fortified city listed by UNESCOas a World Heritage Site. At present our planning authority is receving alot of applications about many of valletta's building that want to built extra floors. Except from the aesthetic point of view this creating a problem with the fortifications cos they are losing their significance.
angel no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 28th, 2005, 12:22 PM   #2
c0kelitr0
Resident Whore

Likes (Received): 21

where's the photo?
c0kelitr0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 01:09 PM   #3
angel

sorry cannot attach photos!!
you can only see it next to my nick
Old October 28th, 2005, 02:30 PM   #4
JDRS
Against ID Cards

Likes (Received): 4

When I went to Malta I remember one tall thin building very prominent on the skyline. I'm not sure what the name of it was? There were alot of new tall apartment blocks springing up everywhere.
JDRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 07:43 PM   #5
DeKaL
Starkitekt

let me know how your project comes along, I would be interested in seeing your project if it in digital format. Malta is a very beautiful country.

Also what is the website for the faculty of architecture in Malta, as I am in architecture too, do they have a masters program there?

For your project: you could start by disecting the heritage and origin of the traditional architecture and its influences and building methods ex. mainly a port country with building material from local stone. etc. and contrast it with the new generation of contemporary architecture it inlfuences, its benefits and negative impacts on the historicism and traditional heritage. You could also incorporate the culture into your synthesis (arabic, european backgrounds). When I was in malta there were no large contemporary office complexes, so I wouldnt know how to contrast them...but hope you get some inspiration...let me know how your project is going.

Last edited by DeKaL; October 29th, 2005 at 07:50 PM.
DeKaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2005, 05:55 PM   #6
angel

there is no web site for the faculty of architecture.
however you can obtain some info through the website of the university of malta
which is www.um.edu.mt

thanks for your ideas