daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Cultural and Sporting Venues

Cultural and Sporting Venues From Football Stadiums to Opera Houses.

Old January 9th, 2012, 02:31 PM   #61
CharlieP
Prepare to die.

Likes (Received): 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy-i View Post
Man Utd's reserves also play at Altringham, which may be a factor.
Ah, that makes things different. I just couldn't work out why being in the same league as Altrincham would be a problem - if anything it would ensure games every weekend rather than, say, a Stockport game on Friday night and Altrincham on Sunday because two different leagues published their own fixtures.

Sponsored Links

Old January 9th, 2012, 03:39 PM   #62
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 125

Is Woodley Sports' ground upto Conf North stadards? Otherwise Stalybridge or Curzton Ashton are the only two games in town I guess. Hyde would probably have been the best option is Man City reserves (or Elite Squad or whatever they call them) didn't play there too.
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 02:09 AM   #63
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by traffordboy View Post
Watch out Salford, Sale are coming and I'm sure it's not long before they are treated as the principal home team!!
Why would they be?
krudmonk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 02:38 PM   #64
The Sloth

Likes (Received): 8

Please could somebody explain to me how Langtree Park, St helens cost £25 Million, and this smaller throw-back cost £26 Million?

Saints: A well designed, classy looking town centre based 18k stadium for £25 Million!
Salford: An out of town 12k stinker (literally) for £26 Million.

Such a shame, the figures are wrong, or somebody is seriously taking the pi$$!

Why didn't Salford make a nice terrace opposite the main stand instead of a tiny seated stand, something to add atmosphere and character like at the Halliwell Jones. Such a missed opportunity, so frustrating as we're stuck with this now!

The added expanded designs a couple of pages back look excellent, but it'll never reach 20k and realise that potential!

To add insult to injury, Rotherham are building a stadium which looks like what Salford were promised, for £25 Million. It's like a joke!
The Sloth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 04:24 PM   #65
Andy-i

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sloth View Post
Please could somebody explain to me how Langtree Park, St helens cost £25 Million, and this smaller throw-back cost £26 Million?

Saints: A well designed, classy looking town centre based 18k stadium for £25 Million!
Salford: An out of town 12k stinker (literally) for £26 Million.

Such a shame, the figures are wrong, or somebody is seriously taking the pi$$!

Why didn't Salford make a nice terrace opposite the main stand instead of a tiny seated stand, something to add atmosphere and character like at the Halliwell Jones. Such a missed opportunity, so frustrating as we're stuck with this now!

The added expanded designs a couple of pages back look excellent, but it'll never reach 20k and realise that potential!

To add insult to injury, Rotherham are building a stadium which looks like what Salford were promised, for £25 Million. It's like a joke!
The stadium itself cost £16 million.
Andy-i no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 11:49 AM   #66
traffordboy

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Why would they be?
Because from what we're hearing, Brian Kennedy plans to take on a large proportion of borrowing that Salford City Council took out to fund the stadium as his own. This would make him/Sharks more than tenants!!
traffordboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2012, 05:00 PM   #67
The Sloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMB2007 View Post
Renders of the stadium with the additional tier:

With Sale Sharks moving into the COSS next season, do you think the above expansions may be a possibility? It would certainly make the stadium look classier and more unique. I hope it happens.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 03:05 PM   #68
heatonparkincakes

Likes (Received): 279

That looks great, but it would be entirely dependent on Kennedy Kash.

I can see expansion as Sale or whatever they will be called now will see the ground filled. And having tried all three home sides now, the only half decent stand is the main/ north stand. The rest are bus shelters with crap low views of the pitch.

I maintain this ground is at the moment is a disaster. Three bus shelters and one decent stand, in th middle of no where, minimal public transport. An abysmal ticketing arrangement.

They should have looked at a central Salford slot near Trinity or The Crescent and replicated the big popular stand as at the Willows. But no.

It wouldn't surprise me if Kennedy develops the ground off, Salford end up moving out and funding a smaller ground in city Salford with the University or worse share with small time Swinton at Agecroft.
Old June 4th, 2012, 02:32 PM   #69
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 125

If only a decent ground had been built somewhere nearer the rest of Salford (either a partnership with the Uni near the Crescent or else near Manchester City Centre, Middlewood perhaps) then could've really seen Salford go from strength to strength... Not here though, this ground and it's location is everything that rugby league isn't about.
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2013, 02:11 PM   #70
36_ste

Likes (Received): 0

Looks like Salford will have an new owner next week and is buying the councils share of the stadium - Great news for the club!
36_ste no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2013, 03:27 PM   #71
Infinite 3D
Architectural Photography

Likes (Received): 17

Photographs of city of salford stadium 3d visuals and 3d animation.

heatonparkincakes liked this post

Last edited by Infinite 3D; March 13th, 2013 at 10:00 PM.
Infinite 3D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2013, 08:00 PM   #72
heatonparkincakes

Likes (Received): 279

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite 3D View Post
Sadly the reality is me sat amongst 2000 foolhardys, me sat with a section of 500 seats and four London fans making all the noise, lots of hairy lower middle class lads getting annoyed when the real ale runs out, Cipriani hot and cold, Salford just cold, waiting 30 minutes for a bus home, the fog, the smell of the nearby sewer works, watching the traffic on the Barton bridge when the ball goes to a scrum and then wondering how long will it be when one of the light planes crashes as it misses it's approach to the aerodrome.

Paste them on the respective Sale and Salford fans forum 3Der.
Old March 14th, 2013, 04:56 PM   #73
The Sloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatonparkincakes View Post
Sadly the reality is me sat amongst 2000 foolhardys, me sat with a section of 500 seats and four London fans making all the noise, lots of hairy lower middle class lads getting annoyed when the real ale runs out, Cipriani hot and cold, Salford just cold, waiting 30 minutes for a bus home, the fog, the smell of the nearby sewer works, watching the traffic on the Barton bridge when the ball goes to a scrum and then wondering how long will it be when one of the light planes crashes as it misses it's approach to the aerodrome.

Paste them on the respective Sale and Salford fans forum 3Der.
The location really does suck...

It's a shame Dr Koukash didn't find his love for RL earlier, maybe he'd have secured Middlewood or whatever it's called. The most prime location and probably easy to nab now the housing market has fallen apart.

Would it be possible to move the ground to a better location for a few million, take a small hit to aid the long term strategy. I know stands from the McCain stadium in Scarborough were moved...

Or could a direct road to the Trafford centre, along with the Metrolink expansion upto the ground be rushed along?

Sale & Salford have such potential, I just feel it'll be hard to realise in the awkward location when others were available. I really hope they grow and things come good.
Old March 15th, 2013, 09:22 PM   #74
CharlieP
Prepare to die.

I'm going to be there exactly one week from today - I shall reserve all judgement until then.
CharlieP no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 05:11 PM   #75
CharlieP
Prepare to die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieP View Post
I'm going to be there exactly one week from today - I shall reserve all judgement until then.
Or maybe not, with heavy snow predicted over the Pennines tomorrow.
Old March 26th, 2013, 03:14 PM   #76
CharlieP
Prepare to die.

Well, I decided to chance it (and got back home safely despite the M62 getting worse and worse around midnight. There were a lot of similarites to my visit to Edgeley Park last season (same opposition, same end, same result, roughly the same point in the season and similar weather), which makes for a good head-to-head comparison.

Travel: Last year I parked on a side street about 750 metres away and walked to the ground. This time, because I'd heard horror stories about getting out of the ground, I parked at Chill Factor, popped into Airkix to see if I knew anybody flying there, had a meal at Nando's and walked to the ground. I thought I'd done a decent recce on Google Maps and thought I could walk along the canal towpath after crossing the ship canal, but this turned out not to be the case, and I ended up walking 4.5 km in the snow.

Environs: Edgeley Park is in the middle of Stockport, with pubs and food places nearby (not that I tried any), whereas Salford City Stadium is, to say the least, a bit detached. I'm not sure what the plans are for development around it.

Facilities: At Edgeley Park there was a big marquee behind the west end full of fans. At Salford there's a big "fan bar" in the West Stand, but I didn't have time for a pint as my circuitous route to the ground meant I arrived about five minutes before kick-off. At Edgeley Park I was in the East (uncovered) Terrace, so had to queue outside at a hatch in the South Stand for food, and go into the North Stand to use the rather pokey gents. At Salford I was in the North Stand, and once you go back through the nearest vomitory into the concourse, the bar and toilets are right in front of you.

Comfort: At Edgeley Park I was sat in a cramped seat as the rain pissed down on me. At Salford I could stand and wander around the terracing (and indeed sought out the few fellow Bath fans that had made the trip north). Even though the snow was often blown under the roof, it wasn't at all unpleasant.

Atmosphere: There were 8,042 at Edgeley Park in April 2012 (Sale's penultimate game at Stockport), and 6,541 at Salford on Friday - despite this the atmosphere seemed better this time, with the home fans a lot more vocal, especially at the far end.

Leaving the ground: At Stockport I simply walked straight to my car and drove off. At Salford there was an announcement about ten minutes from the end pointing out that cars would not be allowed to leave the car park for 15 minutes following the final whistle, for crowd safety reasons. I imagine that, depending on your position in the car park, it could take an absolute age to finally get out onto the A57, so I was quite glad I decided not to drive. Instead I walked around the West Stand and saw a bus with "Trafford Centre" on the front - I wasn't sure if it was free (like Twickenham) or if I had to pay, but when I jumped on and stood looking blankly neither the driver nor the marshal even acknowledged I was there, so I just walked to the back thinking I'd probably just embarrassed myself (later, as more people boarded, I realised they were paying the driver, but at this point it was getting a bit crammed). The bus took about 10-20 minutes to get to the Trafford Centre (I wasn't really paying attention), then I had a five minute walk to my car and was away.

Summary: Better facilities, atmosphere and match-day experience, shame about the remote location.
Old March 26th, 2013, 03:25 PM   #77
CharlieP
Prepare to die.

I mentioned the crowd figure earlier - here are Sale's home Premiership attendances by season:

2011/12 - 2012/13
1 - 6,547 - 7,451
2 - 6,250 - 7,479
3 - 8,088 - 8,212
4 - 8,673 - 5,723
5 - 6,877 - 5,307
6 - 9,045 - 6,347
7 - 5,926 - 8,232
8 - 7,829 - 7,103
9 - 9,476 - 6,541
10 - 8,043 -
11 - 10,149 -

So Sale are actually down a total of 6,000 fans on the same point last season and can't beat the aggregate even with two full houses to finish. It looks as though their dire form in the middle of the season put a lot of supporters off after the new stadium effect wore away...
Old September 9th, 2013, 06:44 PM   #78
RMB2007

Likes (Received): 2661

From @NPAS_Barton:

https://twitter.com/NPAS_Barton
RMB2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 08:44 PM   #79
Toadboy

Likes (Received): 827

Went on Friday.

Awful location, Salford Red Devils should be in the community, surrounded by people for a walk up gate.

Decent little ground though, I was in the main stand in the posh seats - it's a cracking place with really good facilities. The small covered terraces provide a point for fans to get together with their mates and make for decent atmosphere, Widnes fans managed to get through an away game without a kick off, I put this down to good, sensible stewarding - just doing enough to calm the exuberance without confrontation. Parked in the car park, getting out wasn't a problem as we'd access to the lounge so had a chat with the locals and a load of Widnes lads who ended up in there. The locals were great on the whole, very friendly.

I enjoyed my evening but the concern of the location remains and without Koukash what is Salfords future? 3700 in attendance with up to 1,500 Widnes in the ground won't sustain a professional Super League team. I can't but help wonder if there's a coupe of thousand more that would walk up on a Friday night if the ground was better located.
Old September 11th, 2013, 12:35 PM   #80
Andy-i

Likes (Received): 33

Looks like there will be 2 sets of Red Devils playing at the SCS now.

Man Utd's Under-19's will play their first fixture in the new Uefa Youth league (basically a U19 champions league) there:

http://www.uefa.com/uefayouthleague/...hes/index.html
Andy-i no está en línea   Reply With Quote