daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > Ontario

Ontario » Toronto

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: I prefer..
Hamilton 61 49.59%
London 55 44.72%
Tie 4 me! 7 5.69%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 2nd, 2005, 08:30 PM   #41
worldwide

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by algonquin
agreed.

The escarpment provides countless vistas, views, winding roads, interesting and bizzare infrastructure, and tons of greenspace. No other city in Canada is anything like it. I can drive 20 minutes from my house and think I'm in Pennsylvania, or Northern Ontario. Most people have no clue as to how much Hamilton has to offer.

what about the countless mountain cities that have all of these things on a much larger scale?

Sponsored Links
Old December 2nd, 2005, 09:14 PM   #42
doady

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwide
what about the countless mountain cities that have all of these things on a much larger scale?
You are referring to small towns, not large cities on the scale of Hamilton. The Niagara Escarpment runs through the heart of the city and it really is unique.
doady no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2005, 09:55 PM   #43
Steeltown

Likes (Received): 143

That's an example of the Escarpment cutting through the city.
Steeltown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2005, 04:47 AM   #44
algonquin

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwide
If you can think of another city that has a 300' high UNESCO biosphere reserve running right through it, once and then back again in a horseshoe shape, with over 60 waterfalls within it's limits, then please enlighten us.

It's undeniable that the Niagara escarpment has shaped Hamilton in a unique and urban way. Just study a map of the city. Hamilton was forced to develop a dense lower city becuase travel to the top of the escarpment was not practical until the mid 20th century. At one point Hamilton had three incline railways to move commuters and goods. Now people ascend/descend the escarpment by driving on a number of bizzare winding roadways, or by climbing over a dozen endless staircases, or by meandering through the many trails that traverse this vertical greenbelt.

Last edited by algonquin; December 3rd, 2005 at 05:04 AM.
algonquin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2005, 05:11 AM   #45
algonquin

Old December 3rd, 2005, 05:15 AM   #46
algonquin

^ as I said before, no other Canadian city comes close in this regard. But Hamilton may as well be Timbuktu as far as most Canadians are concerned. Extremely underrated.
Old December 5th, 2005, 09:41 AM   #47
worldwide

looks like hamilton would be a good place to start up an underground downhill longboarding scene. untill that happens id rather be in vancouver. ever been?
Old December 5th, 2005, 09:47 AM   #48
worldwide

by the way, i meant nothing by my coments, i was just stirring up some shit. seriously hamilton looks nice all those waterfalls remind me of the finger lakes area of new york state. ill visit some day. look for some idiot skateboarding down the escarpment
Old December 28th, 2005, 05:54 AM   #49
NEWUSER
ITS COLD

Likes (Received): 318

London is better then Hamilton, because in Hamilton the water smells most of the time not to froget all of the city smells most of the times thanks for the factories!

London could use Hamiltons view thats for sure..
NEWUSER no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 09:13 PM   #50
aplz
Oh.

Likes (Received): 1

Edit: I change my mind. Hamilton owns. Industrious, dense, and natural beauty all packed into one. Expect a new resident in the next 5 years. :>

Last edited by aplz; January 18th, 2006 at 09:21 PM.
aplz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 09:31 PM   #51
Tony
You Suck and That's Sad

Likes (Received): 0

I'm going with Hamilton. It has grit, density and height and possibly better ethnic diversity. (I'm too lazy to check Stats Can right now).

London's skyscrapers to me seem short and stubby for some reason.
Old January 19th, 2006, 07:42 AM   #52
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 846

I like the situation of Hamilton but its not the only one to have a steep ridge surrounding the core. I obviously am referring to Montreal. Look what MountRoyal has done for that city and how it has shaped it.
London is just pleasant rolling hill but I've never seen a city with more trees in their downtown area then London. London truly is a beautiful city.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 07:49 AM   #53
ssiguy2

Also forgot to mention that beautiful ThamesRiver right at the downtown core and its one that people actually go to for recreation not an industrial waterway or freeway.
People in London really do punt on the Thames and then go to maybe CovenentMarket for shopping or go down Richmond to Piccadilly for something to eat or the other way down York to WortleyVillage for a coffee.
London really is so cute I can't stand it.
London has a real character to it, although so does Hamilton but a very different one.
Old January 19th, 2006, 08:05 PM   #54
Blitz

The river setting in London is nice but I wouldn't call the Thames River beautiful. Most of the time it's an ugly greenish brown colour.
Blitz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 09:41 PM   #55
rousseau
Es mejor en el campo

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2
London has a real character to it, although so does Hamilton but a very different one.
I would disagree strongly here. Hamilton is a lunch-bucket city full of unpretentious, rough-hewn characters down on their luck. It's a hard place where people do not stand for bullshit. It's Canada's Glasgow.

London, Ontario has no discernible character than I can make out other than a bland pleasantness to its tree-lined streets. The personality (or lack, thereof) seems as flat as the landscape surrounding it. What stands out about London? Nothing, as far as I can tell.
rousseau no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 09:50 PM   #56
DC

Wow... Someone's bitter!
Maybe you should try living in either city, then you could appreciate how much better each one is in their own right.
I voted for Hamilton, but I'm not gonna lie, London is a very nice, fun city as well. If anything, they're equally as GOOD.

It seems as though "rousseau" is from Heaven, or perhaps the "Centre of the Universe" Toronto. (which by the way SUX)
DC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2006, 10:40 AM   #57
miltopolis
Shawn69

your crazy

To doesn't suck. That's crazy talk, you are crazy...
miltopolis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2006, 05:02 AM   #58
ssiguy2

Well I love London and I love its quaint, homey atmosphere.
Downtown London really is a neighbourhood. No freeways or industry cutting thru the core. Just a nice, vibrant downtown surrounded by parks, the Thames, and georgeous big Victorian and Edwardian homes on tree-lined streets.
Preppy? Sure it is but that part of being old wealth city with a large old wealth university.
Inner city London reminds me of Cabbagetown except Cabbagetown is more gay but not by much. London has such a massive gay community for its size, I swear there is something in the water in that little metropolis.
Old January 21st, 2006, 11:27 PM   #59
worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau
I would disagree strongly here. Hamilton is a lunch-bucket city full of unpretentious, rough-hewn characters down on their luck. It's a hard place where people do not stand for bullshit. It's Canada's Glasgow.

London, Ontario has no discernible character than I can make out other than a bland pleasantness to its tree-lined streets. The personality (or lack, thereof) seems as flat as the landscape surrounding it. What stands out about London? Nothing, as far as I can tell.
hey lets all taunt the stupid guy! you couldnt be more wrong dude have you ever lived in london, have you been to the west side, snake hill, springbank park, all down oxford hills everywhere. and as far as i can tell downtown london is unlike any other downtown in southern ontario
Old January 22nd, 2006, 12:39 AM   #60
Blitz

He's partially right though, London is rather bland - that's what makes it London.
Blitz no está en línea   Reply With Quote