daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > Ontario

Ontario » Toronto

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: I prefer..
Hamilton 61 49.59%
London 55 44.72%
Tie 4 me! 7 5.69%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 22nd, 2006, 07:11 AM   #61
Jaybird

Likes (Received): 600

I actually haven't been to Hamilton or experienced it enough to know what it's truly like. Last time I was there was when I saw a band I know play at the Mermaids Lounge in Hess Village, that was a good time. I should make a return sometime, but I don't know when, I'd like to meet the cool forumers from there. But it's only an idea.

I also agree a bit on the "bland" part of London, it's like another city which I won't care to mention now.
Jaybird no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 22nd, 2006, 08:25 AM   #62
rise_against
Olde Guard

Likes (Received): 8

Hamilton i guess, i think both cities are underrated though.
Old January 26th, 2006, 04:14 AM   #63
algonquin

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC
It seems as though "rousseau" is from Heaven, or perhaps the "Centre of the Universe" Toronto. (which by the way SUX)
What is with this absolute perverse notion that Hamiltonians seem to share? Toronto sucks? Remember the Y-108 campaign... so embarassing. My god, the difference between Hamilton and Toronto is night and day. I've never seen such denial in my life.

I should know, I've spent enough time in both cities to make my observations.
algonquin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 04:21 AM   #64
algonquin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau
I would disagree strongly here. Hamilton is a lunch-bucket city full of unpretentious, rough-hewn characters down on their luck. It's a hard place where people do not stand for bullshit. It's Canada's Glasgow.
I would like to applaud your clarity and honesty. I would suggest one thing, though. It's not that Hamiltonians are unpretentious... no no no. It's absolutely full circle; Hamilton is a city with no taste whatsoever. No taste, no sense of aesthetics. To risk personification, Hamilton has pretty poor hygiene as well. It's not that people don't stand for bullshit.. they just don't give a ****. There are few exceptions.

All of which is very sad, since the city has the potential to be an amazing urban centre in a remarkable natural setting. It falls far short of this presently.
Old January 26th, 2006, 06:04 AM   #65
Lucky 24
Former Toronto *********

Likes (Received): 4

Without a doubt Hamilton has more character and urban feel than London due to its physical makeup...both naturally and architecturally. But London is just a more vibrant city and I think that's the most important thing to me when doing a versus thread like this. You can actually go downtown London 6 nights of the week and it will usually be packed with people going to the bars, the JLC, the theatres, smoking up in Victoria park...outside of downtown, Hamilton wins hands down.
Lucky 24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 06:07 AM   #66
algonquin

^ suprisingly, Hamiltons downtown is constantly busy with pedestrain traffic, day or night. It's a phenomenon thats eludes explanation, considering it's current precarious state.
Old January 26th, 2006, 06:28 AM   #67
Lucky 24
Former Toronto *********

Likes (Received): 4

I've only been to Hamilton like 5 times, so my experiences are limited, but everytime I walked around shooting pics, it was quite dead....hess village being the exception. Albeit, the weather wasn't that co-operative. Maybe if I go back on a bright summer day, things will be better.
Lucky 24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 08:11 AM   #68
doady

Likes (Received): 5

Downtown Hamilton is very vibrant place, there are people everywhere. Or at least there were the last time I was there.

doady no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 03:56 PM   #69
algonquin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky 24
I've only been to Hamilton like 5 times, so my experiences are limited, but everytime I walked around shooting pics, it was quite dead....hess village being the exception. Albeit, the weather wasn't that co-operative. Maybe if I go back on a bright summer day, things will be better.
To be more accurate, the area around Gore Park see's the most ped traffic. Anywhere else downtown could be dead at any given time, I suppose.
Old February 14th, 2006, 04:21 AM   #70
Irlandako
My Irish locks...

Likes (Received): 0

London
Old March 7th, 2006, 05:50 AM   #71
flar
____

Likes (Received): 56

I've lived in both London and Hamilton. I didn't know anything about Hamilton before I moved there, its very underrated. One thing I can tell you is that these cities are not comparable. Hamilton is way, way, bigger, it feels more urban, it has a lot more density, and to my biggest surprise, Hamilton probably has more parkland and greenbelts than London. I thought London couldn't be beat as far a green areas and trails, but Hamilton has several conservation areas within the city and more trails than I can even check out, along with dozens of great waterfalls and rocky natural areas that make you feel like you're up north somewhere.

The biggest difference living in these cities is that in Hamilton you can't possibly know the whole city, it's too big. In London, I was all over the city all the time. In Hamilton, there are many parts of the city I've never even seen.

Another difference is that Hamilton has actual suburbs that are cities unto themselves (like Dundas, Ancaster, Stoney Creek) where London has Byron, and further out, places like Lambeth and Dorchester, that are small and mainly residential and don't really have their own dynamic.

As far as skylines, London's is nice, and London has many nice newer buildings, but London's skyline is sparse. Hamilton has a good cluster of highrises downtown, but many are residential, older and uglier. For the record, I don't think London has any buildings over 30 floors, where Hamilton has several, including one that is 47 floors.

Also, Hamilton doesn't smell bad unless you're in the industrial areas. I lived in downtown London, and the Labatt brewery stunk the place up all the time.

When all is said and done, I enjoyed living in London more because it feels very homey, with a smalltown feel, yet still a bit cosmopolitan and most of all, it feels prosperous. Hamilton is still great though. They are both great cities.
flar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2006, 06:16 AM   #72
Steeltown

Likes (Received): 143

Read this article in the Spec I think two days ago and thought it's perfect here lol

Quote:
Western launches sneak attack at Mac

By Peter Van Harten
The Hamilton Spectator
(Mar 4, 2006)

OK, London, this time you've gone too far: Smacking our honoured McMaster University with an in-your-face recruiting billboard right in its front yard.

There it stands along Main Street West as you approach Mac, and down the street there are those impressionable young minds at Westdale High School.

The sign invites prospective students and their parents to go to an open house on March 11 in London to check out the University of Western Ontario and its programs.

Labatts in London used "guerrilla" marketing last summer by sending scantily clad "honey bees" and billboards into Hamilton to take on our hometown Lakeport Brewery and its top-selling Honey Lager.

Hamilton's John C. Munro International Airport president, Richard Koroscil, has fretted about the airport in London stealing our airline flights with aggressive marketing.

And London's entertainment centre is hijacking the touring bus with country singer Willie Nelson and the Nitty Gritty Band before it gets to Copps Coliseum on April 30.

London's university already has a research centre while McMaster is still clearing the ground for its innovation park.

And now Western -- not content with thumping McMaster in the Maclean's magazine university rankings -- is trying to lure students away from their home.

Andrea Farquhar, McMaster's director of public and government relations, says Western's cheeky billboard has "surprised" some people and "probably created lots of conversation."

She fires back with a shot, however.

"If they (Western) were looking for the top students, they really knew where to come," she said.

Bull's eye.
http://www.hamiltonspectator.com/NAS...=1014656511815
Steeltown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 02:54 AM   #73
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 846

There is a kind of grittiness that I like about Hamilton and I think the downtown is quite vibrant during the day. I'm not sure at night as I have never done the Hamilton nightlife scene.
I am completly biased and I acknowledge it.......I'm a London boy.
I work with a woman out here and she is NOT from Hamilton but rather Dundas. She openly admits to being to embarrassed to be associated with Hamilton.
It a smelly industrial city but a rather interesting one and one with character.
I would live in Hamilton for the rest of my life if it meant never having to spend one year in Kitchener.
Hamilton has a real emphhhh about it that I've always liked and when you are in downtown Hamilton you damn well know it because its vibrant. Hamilton has a real downtown unlike Kitchener which doesn't have one.
Hamilton is also an old city so it does have many nice older buildings and houses.

London......anyday but I do think Hamilton does get a bum rap. It location gives it a lot of potential but bottom line is that it will always be a steeltown.
Proof is in the pudding. Torontonians are always making fun of Scarberia or Hamilton but NEVER London.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 04:50 AM   #74
cementationfurnace

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2
There is a kind of grittiness that I like about Hamilton and I think the downtown is quite vibrant during the day. I'm not sure at night as I have never done the Hamilton nightlife scene.
I am completly biased and I acknowledge it.......I'm a London boy.
I work with a woman out here and she is NOT from Hamilton but rather Dundas. She openly admits to being to embarrassed to be associated with Hamilton.
It a smelly industrial city but a rather interesting one and one with character.
I would live in Hamilton for the rest of my life if it meant never having to spend one year in Kitchener.
Hamilton has a real emphhhh about it that I've always liked and when you are in downtown Hamilton you damn well know it because its vibrant. Hamilton has a real downtown unlike Kitchener which doesn't have one.
Hamilton is also an old city so it does have many nice older buildings and houses.
Are you being forced to live in Kitchener for a year and are searching for a way out of it or something? And just out of curiosity, why are you randomly mentioning Kitchener in a post comparing London and Hamilton? (I'd agree with your opinions about Kitchener to a certain extent, although hopefully things are improving). Maybe you could start a Kitchener vs. Salt Spring Island thread or something?

Anyway, I pick Hamilton. It actually feels like a large city and has beautiful scenery. London's a nice place as well, though.

Last edited by cementationfurnace; March 8th, 2006 at 05:06 AM.
cementationfurnace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 05:25 AM   #75
jeff viscount
Zeppelin Rules!!

london has better women. zaaaa
jeff viscount no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 12:59 PM   #76
worldwide

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cementationfurnace
Maybe you could start a Kitchener vs. Salt Spring Island thread or something?
thats hilarious.
Old March 8th, 2006, 07:33 PM   #77
ldoto
Londoner

Likes (Received): 3

Hamilton resists baiting by London

With McMaster University in the background, the University of Western Ontario advertises its March break open house in Hamilton yesterday. (CP photo)
Feeling depressed? Has the spring in your step become a lachrymose limp? Have the winter doldrums beat you into blahdom?

Cheer up. You could be living in Hamilton.

Now, I don't normally kick sand in the face of 98-pound municipal weaklings. But after reading a recent Hamilton Spectator story, I can't resist.

The story, which ran in Saturday's edition of Hamilton's daily newspaper, opened with the following challenge: "OK London, you've gone too far."

According to the Spectator, London has been usurping some of Hamilton's sacred cows:

- The University of Western Ontario is trying to recruit students with a billboard advertisement near McMaster University.

- The president of Hamilton's airport is fretting about London's airport luring away airline passengers with aggressive marketing.

- London's John Labatt Centre is stealing the spotlight from Hamilton's Copps Coliseum, with acts such as Willie Nelson performing here first.

- Last summer, Labatt dispatched scantily clad young women to Hamilton, where they stood at busy intersections promoting Labatt's Genuine Honey -- a direct rival to Lakeport Brewery's top-selling Honey Lager.

I smell a fight.

Never one to slink away from a verbal punch-up, I ring up Hamilton Spectator columnist Jeff Mahoney, who immediately boasts that, "Hamilton has always been an underdog, but we've taken on better cities than London."

Oh really?

I point out that the Forest City has its share of shining stars: We've got bandleader Guy Lombardo, Miss Universe Karen Baldwin, actor Hume Cronyn, TV talk-show host Jenny Jones and now Oscar-winning director Paul Haggis.

Who, pray tell, has emerged from the Lunchbucket City?

"Martin Short," crows Mahoney. "And I think Eugene Levy went to McMaster, but I don't know if he was born in Hamilton. And Dave Thomas and his brother Ian."

That's it?

"Evelyn Dick is from Hamilton," says Mahoney.

Who?

"She was one of Canada's first celebrated murderesses," he says. "It was a great case. Her husband's torso was found. I think she ended up getting off."

OK, maybe we can't match that. But clearly our John Labatt Centre is spiffier than Hamilton's aging Copps Coliseum, right?

Mahoney hesitates, then admits that one of the coliseum's big draws -- its annual Jehovah's Witnesses convention -- may be cancelled this year because the Witnesses say Copps is too decrepit.

"I don't know why they care," says Mahoney. "I mean, they believe the world's coming to an end anyway, so what's the big deal if a rafter falls?"

Hamilton has Theatre Aquarius and we have the venerable Grand Theatre. (We win.) They have the Canadian Football Hall of Fame and we have the Guy Lombardo Museum. (It's a draw.)

But then Mahoney scores a point when I compare our Memorial Cup-winning Knights to their sad-sack Tiger-Cats.

"I'm trying to think of London's team in the CFL," he quips. "What is it? The London Underwriters?"

Mahoney is clearly exhausted by all this brainy banter, so I call noted Hamilton motor mouth Jamie West, who hosts the weekday afternoon show on CHML 900 AM.

When West starts slagging London, I remind him that our mayor -- unlike Hamilton Mayor Larry Di Ianni -- isn't facing charges for accepting illegal campaign donations. (Although I don't tell him our mayor opposes the notion of revealing campaign donors before election day.)

"Lots of famous people have come out of Hamilton," counters West. "And some of them have even managed to stay out of jail."

West claims Hamilton's harbour now features 50 species of sport and game fish.

Does he seriously mean to suggest the water there is safe?

"Yeah, we got rid of the two-headed fish back in the 1980s," he says. "They were scaring the tourists."

I smell a knockout victory. But then West offers an olive branch.

"My suggestion is that London and Hamilton become twin cities," he says.

"With two breweries and two major universities, think of the partying that'll go on if we get together."

I warm to the idea. Then West points out that with two breweries and two university medical centres, we'll be both healthy and happy.

"And then we can take on the real enemy," says West.

"And that's the ugly, nasty, rotten city of Toronto."

He's right, of course. Ready the troops.
ldoto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 08:57 PM   #78
Jaybird

Likes (Received): 600

^ man, it sounds like this newspaper advertising "rivalry" could get out of hand. This must be bad. It's kind of comical, though. Both cities have their great things about them.

One other mention (in Hamilton's favour) is that Hamilton has a better, advanced freeway system, and it has a 2,000 seat+ performing arts center in Hamilton Place, while London's is on the drawing board. Hamilton feels more "big city" like than London, although in a way, London is slowly gaining. BTW, that new Red Hill Creek Expressway will be sweet as it will provide a SHORTCUT to get to Buffalo.

They forgot to mention the pretty Rachel McAdams as a Londoner (well, St. Thomas) from "Mean Girls" and "Wedding Crashers" in addition to its SHINING STARS.

Last edited by Jaybird; March 8th, 2006 at 09:08 PM.
Jaybird no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 10:40 PM   #79
Steeltown

Likes (Received): 143

LOL man this is nuts. The recent Spec article I posted I thought was funny and it was meant to be funny, something refreshing than hearing boring news.

You can tell we’re taking this as a joke when Jamie West goes on saying we got rid of two headed fish, he’s only feeding into people’s stereotype there lol.
Steeltown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 01:56 AM   #80
jeff viscount
Zeppelin Rules!!

the jlc rocks dudes. ive been to the place three times since moving back to the area.
I went to audioslave, they blew my mind, they played outshined and spoonman, then they ripped through killing in the name. it was insane.
and just monday i went to check out nine inch nails, unbelievable.
that arena is tha bomb, yall.
jeff viscount no está en línea   Reply With Quote