daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > Ontario

Ontario » Toronto

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: I prefer..
Hamilton 61 49.59%
London 55 44.72%
Tie 4 me! 7 5.69%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 16th, 2006, 04:16 AM   #101
DC

Likes (Received): 0

HAHAHA That video was great!
Marissa Nelson's facial expressions were priceless... esp when buddy's talking about the Seal's girlfriend!
I don't think she could contain her excitement going over that "bridge"! hahaha
DC no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 16th, 2006, 05:11 AM   #102
Jaybird

Likes (Received): 600

I think this is starting to get out of hand. I saw a good presentation on TSN a couple of weeks ago when Vic Rauter (a commentator) was at the Scott Tournament of Hearts, doing a little biography and tour of the Guy Lombardo Museum in London, looks like a cool place with lots of memorabilia.
Jaybird no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 08:27 AM   #103
LdnPlanr
London Enthusiast

Ok, I don't even know WHERE to begin on how RIDICULOUS that video is. However, I should first point out that I put together a better piece of 'funny journalism' when I was 16 for my high school TV station... Moving on.

I'll start with one thing; If you are going to find out what London is all about, why not interview someone who can put together a coherant thought?! EVERY city has a few citizens who don't quite know what to say when put in front of the camera, and I think this video pretty much showed that. Secondly, it is clear to me that Pierre Burton played right into this being a 'joke', while I get the feeling that Gord Hume at City Hall didn't get that information. He is describing the City's initiatives with great pride, and I think to make fun of him in this video is very low-brow. The Guy Lombardo Museum is a bit of a joke, we know, but no one said the bridge was "World Famous". I'll enlighten some of you to why exactly that bridge is 'significant' to this city. That rather large span of 4-lane bridge was one of the first MAJOR river crossings in the West-end of the City of London. That bridge moves literally thousands of vehicles a day, and it was named for Guy Lombardo not only because of his world-class status, but also because of the bridge's proximity to Wonderland Gardens. Unfortunately, Wonderland Gardens has since been the victim of fire (very recently), but it was 'home' to Guy Lombardo and his Royal Canadians for many years.

Yes, London is the Forest City, and it would have really helped if the 'hilarious' reporter had of NOT stood in the middle of Wellington Street downtown to exemplify the number of trees that can be found in this city. However, the name Forest City does not refer to the amount of trees that London currently has, rather the fact that London was literally built in the middle of a forest, at the Forks of the Thames.

Arguing whether Hamilton is better than London is rather silly. Hamilton is not a place I would like to call home, although I do enjoy the atmosphere of Hess Village (I think that's what it is called). However, I can find two seperate places in London with a similar vibe, mainly the community-oriented Wortley Village and the largely commercially-driven Richmond Row.

I can tell you one thing for sure, though. MacMaster has some kind of inferiority complex when it comes to my Purple-and-White roots, UWO. I went to Hamilton two years ago to watch the Mustangs lose a tough one to the Mighty Mac football team, but my T-Shirt that day said it all: "Yes, Going to Western DOES Make Me Better Than You." But that's neither here nor there...
LdnPlanr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 07:34 AM   #104
rousseau
Es mejor en el campo

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LdnPlanr
Arguing whether Hamilton is better than London is rather silly. Hamilton is not a place I would like to call home, although I do enjoy the atmosphere of Hess Village (I think that's what it is called). However, I can find two seperate places in London with a similar vibe, mainly the community-oriented Wortley Village and the largely commercially-driven Richmond Row.
I don't know about "better or not" comparisons. But Hamilton has character. Hey, a number of the members of SCTV grew up there. London, by contrast, is bland.

Wortley Village and Richmond Street are not in the same league as Hess Village. Not even close. Though I personally don't enjoy Hess Village much, as it's dominated too much by frat boys and lowlife rednecks (of which Hamilton has a lot). But the area itself is quite charming.

London is pleasant, but in a very soporific way. Here's what Hamilton has that London doesn't:

1. Barton and Cannon streets and the neighourhoods surrounding them. This is real rust-belt, and real run-down. Mullets abound, as do 17-year-old chain-smoking single mothers pushing baby carriages to their friend Sally's place cause she said her cousin Jim might be coming over and he's got a Mustang. But the drive along Cannon from Kenilworth right downtown to James is a six-kilometre stretch of the grittiest rust-belt urbanity in Canada.

2. Aberdeen Street and environs just off of James. The mansions here are tucked up against the mountain like in a European villa. It's an amazing area, and amazingly cheap. A lot of people in Hamilton don't even know about it.

3. The aformentioned Hell Vissage.

4. The mountain.

5. The waterfalls.

6. The Winking Judge. This little pub just might have the best and most varied selection of microbrew beer of any pub in Canada. Prove me wrong. They have 25 taps, all of them different. But it's the owners and the clientele that make it. Take one part Stelco shift-workers, add the standard shiftless ne'er-do-wells, a handful of eccentric post-doctorate students, and sprinkle with a healthy pinch of beer connoisseurs who could talk your ear off about every aspect of the brewing process. My last night there was a good one: a heated argument over the relative merits of the Impressionists was going on by the bar, a group of students in the front were hashing out late 1990s electronica, a crew of Chinese exchange students were getting a bit out of hand with some weird-looking drinking games, and a couple of drunks on the wrong side of sixty were slobbering all over each other while gushing over the seats they had at "I Never Win" Stadium for the Grey Cup of 1972 (when they actually did win). Of course, I've also been there on Monday evenings around midnight when it was just me and two middle-aged yo-yos holding up the bar while arguing over standardized sizes for cardboard boxes. You win some and you lose some. But here's the deal: you can go to the Judge alone, and you'll always have someone to talk to. It's not typically Canadian in that regard.
rousseau no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 04:57 AM   #105
algonquin

Likes (Received): 22

^ Red Green is also from Hamilton... how cool is that?

Here's a list of 'qualities' anyone should consider when judging Hamilton as a city and a place to live:

- proximity, proximity, proximity... Hamilton is within an hour commute from the following cities: Toronto, Mississauga, Brampton, Oakville, Burlington, Guelph, Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge, Brantford, St. Catherines, and even Niagara Falls. That's one main reason I moved to Hamilton.. I can look for work anywhere.

- Cost of Living.... Hamilton offers the cheapest residential real estate by far for a city it's size in Canada.

- Regional Transit.... GO Train service (currently under expansion) and express GO bus service to Union Station every 20 minutes, for under 9 dollars per trip.

- a Port City.... Hamilton is Canadas largest Great Lakes port, and sees ships from all over the world... which is always cool

- Proud Industrial Heritage.... most of Canada was built using Hamilton steel, machinery, and manufactured products

- A Natural Beauty... let's see, theres the UNESCO Biosphere known as the Niagara Escarpment that winds throughout the city, the Bruce Trail, the Royal Botanical Gardens, over 60 waterfalls and counting, wetlands, countless trails, the Dundas Valley, crazy windy roads everywhere... the city is a major stop for migrating birds and has a large falcon population.. I even saw a deer in the city once

- A Recreational Haven.... Hamilton's massive harbour is ideal for boating, sailing and rowing... Cootes Paradise is entirely devoted to canoeing and kayaking, there's hiking, mountain biking, rock-climbing, ice-climbing, etc.

- Professional Sports.... the Ti-Cats

- Density, Density, Density.... the lower portion of Hamilton has the highest overall residential density in Canada.. the city was prevented from sprawling until sufficient road infrastructure could be built in the middle of the last century

- Interesting Infrastructure..... for city-nerds who love this sort of stuff.. there's the Skyway bridge, the Eastport Lift-Bridge, the art-deco High Level Bridge, the GO-Train tunnel underneath downtown, and a handfull of creative ways to drive up and down the escarpment

- An expanding International Airport serving as a viable alternative to Pearson

- the Canadian Warplane Museum

- a View... not many Canadian cities have vantage points so close to a downtown core, similar to Montreal

- the AGH, being the third largest art gallery in Ontario

.... thats all I can think of for now.

P.S. I've never heard of any of those 'celebrities' listed from London... not that a celebrity count is relevant anyways
algonquin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 05:30 AM   #106
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 846

The only problem with living, working, playing, and just waling around Hamilton is that then you have to breath the air {or atleast try to} and get use to that o so fragarant Hamilton smell.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 05:49 AM   #107
Steeltown

Likes (Received): 143

Yea I see you caught on the fact that each week when we place our garbage out to the curb we also take out our “I love Hamilton” respirator filter out the curb to get replaced. Ahh hush. lol
Steeltown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 05:49 AM   #108
DallasTexan

Likes (Received): 3

I choose London.
DallasTexan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 05:51 AM   #109
Steeltown

Likes (Received): 143

Pfft you skank buzz off
Steeltown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 09:08 PM   #110
algonquin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2
The only problem with living, working, playing, and just waling around Hamilton is that then you have to breath the air {or atleast try to} and get use to that o so fragarant Hamilton smell.
On average, Hamilton air is no worse than anywhere else in the GTA, with the exception of what periodically comes from the steel mills, etc. I only notice poor air quality or an odd smell maybe 2-3 days per month. Quite often the air is nice and fresh of Lake Ontario... where I live in Hamilton anyway.
Old March 19th, 2006, 11:49 PM   #111
Blitz

Likes (Received): 1

London stinks too, there are days in the summer when the whole city smells like manure thanks to the surrounding farm fields. I had to close my windows several times last summer.
Blitz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 06:22 AM   #112
Jaybird

Likes (Received): 600

^ and Kellogg's cereal, and beer.
Jaybird no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 06:42 PM   #113
Mastodon Goard
Lord of the Bastards

London. Because it doesn't get lumped into the whole Toronto urban area. Because of Western (my place of work). Because my son was born here, and I bought my first house here. Just because, goddammit!
Mastodon Goard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 06:46 PM   #114
Mastodon Goard
Lord of the Bastards

She comes from London:

Mastodon Goard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 08:52 PM   #115
rousseau
Es mejor en el campo

You mean St. Thomas, Ontario, which is 30 kms from London. Or is that considered part of London for all intents and purposes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastodon Goard
Old March 24th, 2006, 01:56 AM   #116
SStowersXL

Rachel McAdams was born in London. Other people from London: the only two Canadian women to ever win Ms.Universe were from London(the winner from last year also lived in Toronto), Jenny Jones, David Suzuki, the directer who did "Crash" Paul Haggis(he won an oscar this year,his parents still live here),Sir Frederick Banting who invented insulin(the house were he invented it is now a museum or sumthing),Ryan Gosling(the guy who starred in "The Notebook" with Rachel McAdams), John Labatt, plus dozens of famous hockey players, and many actors and musicians. Also there are some olympians from here. Also there are many athletes who attended Western.

Last edited by SStowersXL; March 24th, 2006 at 02:20 AM.
SStowersXL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2006, 02:01 AM   #117
SStowersXL

I have no problem with hamilton but i've been there many times (because alot of my family lives there) but there have been alot of really snobby people there. i like going to hamilton because its always fun going to a different city but i woudn't want to live there. and london DOES have a skyline just that the pictures i've seen posted here are really crappy and don't show it. im not saying its bigger than hamiltons but it is nicer. lol. ive noticed that alot of negative comments come from ppl from windsor? i feel like they hate london or sumthing lol!
SStowersXL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2006, 03:23 AM   #118
algonquin

Who cares who's from London?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastodon Goard
Because it doesn't get lumped into the whole Toronto urban area.
neither does Hamilton... wrong side of the lake, for starters.
Old March 24th, 2006, 04:29 AM   #119
rousseau
Es mejor en el campo

Quote:
Originally Posted by algonquin
Who cares who's from London?
These people from London seem to, though they're not quite getting it right. The pretty actress in the picture left London when she was three or so for St. Thomas. Which is not part of or near London, last time I checked.

I myself was born in Kitchener. My family left when I was three. Am I from Kitchener? No, of course not.
Old March 24th, 2006, 04:35 AM   #120
rousseau
Es mejor en el campo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SStowersXL
and london DOES have a skyline just that the pictures i've seen posted here are really crappy and don't show it. im not saying its bigger than hamiltons but it is nicer.
Everyone knows that you're certifiable for thinking that, but let's humour you anyway. Put up the best three-photo spread of London's skyline, then let someone else put up a three-photo spread of Hamilton's skyline, and then let's compare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SStowersXL
lol. ive noticed that alot of negative comments come from ppl from windsor? i feel like they hate london or sumthing lol!
That's the thing, here, you see...London is so bland, that there's nothing to hate. What is there about London that could possibly inspire hatred? It's pleasant, flat and bland. Like a fart that doesn't smell, or the faint background music in a supermarket when you're not paying attention to it so you don't notice it, or white guy in the short hair decked out in a preppy uniform about to get into his Toyota Camry...there's no there there. Get it?