daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > Ontario

Ontario » Toronto

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: I prefer..
Hamilton 61 49.59%
London 55 44.72%
Tie 4 me! 7 5.69%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 24th, 2006, 04:56 AM   #121
Jaybird

Likes (Received): 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastodon Goard
THANK YOU, Mastodon Guard for posting that! Rachel McAdams is my favorite actress!

BTW, St. Thomas IS in the London Metropolitan area according to Statistics Canada and is a mere 30 km away. Of course, it hasn't always been like that, at one time before a few years ago, St. Thomas wasn't even in the London area. So, technically, she is from the London area, yes.

But none of that is really irrelevant at this point.

Last edited by Jaybird; March 26th, 2006 at 06:47 PM.
Jaybird no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 26th, 2006, 01:59 PM   #122
hamer town

Likes (Received): 0

Hamilton wins

Hamilton for sure

We have tonnes of waterfalls. Coots Paradise is beautiful and used in bird Migration. Hamilton Harbor even with the steels mills. The western Harbor is Beautiful waterfront trail the goes around to Coots Paradise. Downtown is so much nicer with it getting better all the time. More people and 1 in 4 are immigrants. Better Airport also getting better all the time.

Better University yes its true Mac is better. Reason why Gordon Lightfoot went there for his surgery.

We actually have pro sports teams well if you want to call the Bulldogs pro.

Nice over all setting oh and I can we within 10 minutes of downtown and see deer walking around. its just better thats the truth.

Better views of Downtown from just about every direction. You can see it from the North South East and West. Lots of trees.

I Just Love it.
hamer town no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2006, 06:45 PM   #123
Jaybird

Likes (Received): 600

Here's a few shots of London's skyline... to prove it actually has one, lol!

All the time when I go to London, I can't help but notice all of the sprawl and blandness as well. Though London does have some character close to downtown and in a couple of other small areas, it's merely a small fraction of the city. I haven't been to Hamilton that often, but I do get the impression that Hamilton seems more urban, historic, and more than likely does have more character, and it feels like a bigger city. I might have said that already, but I'll say it again.

I wonder how Hamilton would compare in contrast to Pittsburgh, both those cities have similar things about them...

Blue collar cities are my kind of towns!

Last edited by Jaybird; March 26th, 2006 at 06:56 PM.
Jaybird no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 02:11 AM   #124
worldwide

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamer town
I can we within 10 minutes of downtown and see deer walking around. its just better thats the truth.

i know for a fact that this is true in london
Old March 27th, 2006, 04:41 AM   #125
Blitz

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamer town
Better University yes its true Mac is better.
Pffft, UWO is soooo better than Mac.

Western Ontario liked this post
Blitz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 04:19 PM   #126
jeff viscount
Zeppelin Rules!!

hamtown is well known as being a shit hole.
but it isnt, its a great town, its a negative image to have.
I dont see how London is bland, its not, Yall.
jeff viscount no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2006, 02:42 AM   #127
twolondonplace

London has a better arena (the JLC), we have TREES, and deer, amazing bike trails along the river. Our downtown is infinitely better than Hamilton's and i think we have a better arts and music scene too. Also, i think London is far enough from both Detroit and Toronto to have developed a certain uniqueness that Hamilton doesnt have as it is overshadowed by its big brother Toronto.

London has had many HUGE bands and artists come through here since the JLC was built and our airport is doing better than Hamilton's methinks.

London's just better and that's that.
twolondonplace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2006, 02:45 AM   #128
twolondonplace

and did i mention UWO/Fanshawe? no i didn't. uwo kicks ass. rated not only the most attractive campus in canada but the sexiest in north america!
twolondonplace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2006, 04:22 AM   #129
algonquin

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolondonplace
London has a better arena (the JLC), we have TREES, and deer, amazing bike trails along the river. Our downtown is infinitely better than Hamilton's and i think we have a better arts and music scene too. Also, i think London is far enough from both Detroit and Toronto to have developed a certain uniqueness that Hamilton doesnt have as it is overshadowed by its big brother Toronto.

London has had many HUGE bands and artists come through here since the JLC was built and our airport is doing better than Hamilton's methinks.

London's just better and that's that.
And Hamilton doesn't have trees? Or bike trails?

If you want to discuss 'uniqueness', how is Hamilton overshadowed by Toronto? Hamilton is nothing like Toronto.

Hamilton has deer too. And Perigrine Falcons. Try to come up with something better next time.
algonquin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2006, 05:11 AM   #130
Doc Halladay

While I prefer London, I think Hamilton is great as well.

There's a pretty kick ass skyline view of Hamilton when you come in on the 76 Via Rail train (Windsor-London-Brantford-Oakville-Toronto run). The track winds it's way through the escarpment heading east on the north side. Literally out of nowhere you turn around a bend and bam, there's the Hamilton skyline. It looks quite dense and impressive from that vantage point. I suggest checking it out if you ever get the chance.
Doc Halladay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2011, 01:52 PM   #131
OR1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

relax:

OR1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2014, 01:00 AM   #132
Jagators63

you know I used to live in london for a very long time but now lives in Edmonton. I will be moving back to Ontario and will plan to live in Hamilton.

I must admit london is very nice city but slow growth for a few yrs now, I do like london but it is long enough for me to see too much there, so I decided to plan to live in Hamilton for the first time in my life in 2015.

I chose Hamilton over London for few reasons ,

1) easy accessible to Niagara Falls, Greater Toronto area by GO Transit which London doesn't have that yet.
2) Hamilton is about to grow steady especially in downtown area and on the mountain area despite steel jobs is being lost.
3) Hamilton have boats or yachts docked there at the waterfont but London doesn't have that.
4) economy in Hamilton is about to get better as unemployment rate is slowly dropping.

so you see Hamilton is clearly the winner in overall.
Jagators63 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2014, 03:00 AM   #133
K85
Great Ceasar's ghost!

Old thread... but your argument is a joke...

1) Closer to the largest trading point in the world
2) Londons core is more defined as a core
3) London has a river going through the entire city
4) Londons economy is stepping up and getting better

I too can make completely random points to justify one over the other too, so clearly, London wins
K85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2014, 09:03 AM   #134
GarfieldPark

Likes (Received): 1219

I see nothing that is a joke about his points on why he prefers Hamilton over London, Ontario. ( And by the way, I'm curious what you mean when you say "Closer to the largest trading point in the world." What point is that?) Thanks.
GarfieldPark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2014, 09:34 AM   #135
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 846

Well personally I would take London over Hamilton any day.

That said I rather like Hamilton. Hamilton is a real city with character and a certain "umph" to it that is appealing. Being close to Toronto and great GO connections is a definite bonus.

I would take Hamilton over Kitchener any day of the week. Kitchener is more just a bunch of cities that grew into each other and the ugliest one and the one with the least sense of character or urbanity grew into, unfortunately, being the biggest.

London is refined, Hamilton has some real urban grit, and Kitchener just a suburban blob.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2014, 05:13 PM   #136
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12186

Technically, I should lock this thread because it is a City vs City from the old days. But, as long as it is respectful and constructive we'll keep it open.
Old February 24th, 2015, 03:09 PM   #137
JehovahNissi

Likes (Received): 156

hamilton..
JehovahNissi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2015, 06:55 AM   #138
Western Ontario

Likes (Received): 2

Western University on its own kicks Hamilton in the butt.
Western vs Mac?? Western has the 2nd highest entering average in all of Canada after McGill, first in Ontario. Plus one of the most attractive campuses in North America.
I thought I was in Harlem when I visited Ham 2 years ago. And London is called "Forest City" for a reason!!
#Westernpride

Jaybird liked this post
Western Ontario no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2017, 03:08 AM   #139
Hamilton_Ontario

Hamilton is a larger city than London, Metro population of Greater Hamilton Area is roughly 800,000 people and London is only 474,000. While City of Hamilton has over 550,000 people. So London is half the size of Hamilton. Plus the Skyline of Hamilton is stunning once you see from the mountain. London doesn't even have a decent skyline.
Hamilton_Ontario no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2017, 07:43 AM   #140
in'sauga

Likes (Received): 58

now don't get me wrong.. i love Hamilton, but calling the city skyline 'stunning' is a bit of a stretch. Also, there is an argument to be made that given London's population, one can argue that it's skyline is better than the Hammers, although to me, they're both par for the course. (..also love London) ..i think both are very comparable.
in'sauga no está en línea   Reply With Quote