daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 31st, 2005, 05:28 AM   #1
Rainier Meadows
©

Likes (Received): 3

Hoike Tower: Replacement for Tokyo Tower

Ok so I see a pic in a magazine but don't have my scanner handy.

Does anyone have more information on this or a pic they can post?

Here's a short article found on a website.

There is a proposal to build a new Tokyo Tower in the Ueno area, which at 600m would be the tallest in the world. The existing tower is a paltry 333m. The new tower is needed for broadcasting over the increasing number of high-rise buildings in the city. The plan calls for completion of the tower by 2007
http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache...proposal&hl=en

Sponsored Links
Old October 31st, 2005, 05:42 AM   #2
Mike777

Likes (Received): 0

I think it's called the Sumida Tower now and is indeed 600m.

http://www.sumida-tower.jp/

Sumida Tower (すみだタワー Sumida-tawaa) is a proposed broadcasting tower in Sumida, Tokyo, Japan. If completed as planned, Sumida Tower would be the tallest free-standing tower in the world at 610m (2,001 ft), displacing the CN Tower in Toronto, and would also be the tallest man-made structure in Japan.

The Sumida Tower planning is being led by a group of six terrestrial broadcasters led by public broadcaster NHK, who plan to complete construction of the tower by 2011. The completed structure would be the highlight of a massive commercial development around Oshiage Station.

It is occasionally known as the Second Tokyo Tower (第二東京タワー dai-ni-Tokyo-tawaa) to distinguish it from the existing Tokyo Tower.
Mike777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2005, 05:47 AM   #3
CrazyCanuck
MOD SQUAD

Likes (Received): 28

I don't like it, and it will not be the tallest free standing structure, if it wants to move fast then it can hold it for a few weeks before Burj Dubai gets there.
CrazyCanuck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2005, 06:33 AM   #4
drmadham

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck
I don't like it, and it will not be the tallest free standing structure, if it wants to move fast then it can hold it for a few weeks before Burj Dubai gets there.
by the looks of your avatar, are you sure theres no bias in you not liking this sumida tower?
Old October 31st, 2005, 07:00 AM   #5
Andrew

Likes (Received): 36

Maybe but that doesn't alter the fact that his comment was right in that it won't be the tallest structure in the world at all, Burj Dubai is going to be something ike 100m taller and since it is still only in the plannning phase I don't think it could be worlds tallest even for a few weeks since BD is being built as fast as is physically possible. I'd guess that even if work started on this one tomorrow it wouldn't top out before BD reached 600m and it blatantly aint gonna start work tomorrow so the claim that it'll be the world's tallest is just wrong.
That said I think this is a really good looking tower and will look great on the Tokyo skyline and would be awesome to go up if there's an observation deck.
Andrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2005, 07:33 AM   #6
CrazyCanuck
MOD SQUAD

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmadham
by the looks of your avatar, are you sure theres no bias in you not liking this sumida tower?
Good eye, but nope, no bias, we are going to lose our title anyway to Burj Dubai, its inevitable. I just don't like the look of the tower.
CrazyCanuck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2005, 11:08 AM   #7
Spearman
NWO Henchman

Likes (Received): 638

I actually think this looks quite nice. Sure beats the existing Tokyo Tower!
Spearman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2005, 12:13 PM   #8
fairladyZ

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck
Good eye, but nope, no bias, we are going to lose our title anyway to Burj Dubai, its inevitable. I just don't like the look of the tower.
Unlike in china or dubai, the japanese government are not interested in the title or supertall buildings.
In fact the orignal plan was much higher but the governer of Tokyo did not give an approval for unneccesary tall structures.

610 meter is the minimum height needed to change all the broading system to Digital and broad cast that to entire Kanto region.
fairladyZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2005, 12:30 AM   #9
Effer
E Pluribus Unum

Likes (Received): 226

Nice.
Effer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2005, 01:23 AM   #10
beyond 1000
BANNED

Likes (Received): 74

I think it looks splendid. I like the two separate levels to view off.
beyond 1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote