daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 4th, 2006, 02:46 PM   #41
WhiteMagick
Moderator - Επιτηρητής

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec
It depends on loads of things. If I were to build a 700m tower with 1000 apartments each going for 5 million then it would be no problem.
He is also talking about maintainance whose costs may eventually become higher than the original cost of construction and greater than the Annual income of the tower and thus making it a loss making business.
WhiteMagick no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 4th, 2006, 02:51 PM   #42
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Well, I could just charge more then

Also a tower like the fordham spire which consists of uber-class apartments needs less lifts than an office tower of similar height
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2006, 05:44 PM   #43
flygon

Likes (Received): 2

The tallest building ever designed is X-Seed 4000 in Tokyo, which is 4000m tall !
flygon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 05:47 AM   #44
vipermkk

Likes (Received): 5

The X-Seed 4000 seems appeared once in a famous Japanese animation, I forgot the name.
vipermkk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 06:07 AM   #45
tom042

Likes (Received): 0

I honestly believe that we'll see buildings in the 2km+ range within the next 50 years. As we go through various the various environmental/economic crises that will be caused by oil scarcity, then global warming and the accompanying flooding crises in coastal cities (i.e. the majority of major cities), the economics of density will change, and people will be forced to be much more open to new ideas. Cars will become less efficient and cities will become more dense. Environmentally friendly cities will come to be seen as self-preservation rather than luxury, and highly controllable environments like X-Seed 4000 will start to look viable in economic terms.

Space elevators also have a better than 50/50 chance of getting started sometime in the next few decades. The whole reason to build them is that it's so expensive to maintain things in space. Space elevators are tremendously cheaper than rocket launches. Also, although they will be hit by rapidly moving debris, the current designs (and yes, current designs exist, using current technology for the fundamentals) use high-strength self-healing fabrics (like in fancy tires.) This also allows them to be supported by pressurization rather than a structural frame.

In the meantime, Burj Dubai is secure for the next 10-20 years. In the long run, the sky is no limit.

Last edited by tom042; June 11th, 2006 at 06:13 AM.
tom042 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 08:32 AM   #46
IAMME
2003-43387

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline
The military owns the airspace above a certain height, so there is technically a limit to how tall skyscrapers can be.
Whose military?
IAMME no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 08:41 AM   #47
F-ian

Likes (Received): 110

Lets all get together again and make the Tower of Babel and this time we use English
Old June 11th, 2006, 08:41 AM   #48
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2759

If a building is the inspiration of a government or civic affiliated companies and auspices where more then profit is a consideration then there will be little end to "go higher". If let to private developers then there is indeed a limit (though varying and hard to gage).
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 11:55 AM   #49
Un known

Likes (Received): 3

I do not believe that the space elevators will be there anytime soon. Not for a few centuries. Nobody has the resources and the technology to build them. Space elevators will be extremely expensive to construct. I think evetually the battle for the word's tallest building will end at around 3 km.
Un known no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 12:27 AM   #50
EtherealMist
The World Is Yours

Likes (Received): 17

EtherealMist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 10:43 AM   #51
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6524

it's difficult to say where the limit is. I Think, if the Japan like they could build the XSeed 4000 without really big problems but if you'll build an tower which is thin like the burj dubai with an height of more than 2000m you'll get many problems.
look at the mountains, they're more than 8000m high but they're not thin, the're very very fat.
ZZ-II está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 10:58 AM   #52
Harkeb
BANNED

Likes (Received): 22

It's silly to say there's no limit, or until oxygen levels run low.
Harkeb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2006, 03:49 AM   #53
sharpie20
Wlis

Likes (Received): 4

Are space elevators really skyscrapers? they're not buildings but they definately do touch the sky. Anyways i read an article int he economist that says that a space elevator is an idea that isn't that far away, they have determined that the most availible material for building the elevator is only about 4% of the required strength of the elevator, they have this carbon fiber stuff that is half as strong as it's required to be but too expensive. All in all the cost in the future should be somewhere at about 10 million dollars, not that much considering the costs of projects that NASA engages in.
sharpie20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2006, 04:07 PM   #54
Arch
Charley says

Likes (Received): 14

Space elevators will not be built for hundreds of years if ever. By the time the technology is available to do so we will already have cheaper alternatives to reach earth orbit. I can't see buildings rising much higher than 1000m. There is simply no need for them, apart from forfilling the fantasy's of the kids on this forum.
Arch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2006, 10:50 PM   #55
Mr D
tiptoe

Likes (Received): 0

You couldn't have said it better. Athough we can't forsee the demands and expactations of people in the future.
Mr D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2006, 11:07 PM   #56
Daniel_Portugal
I Love You... Soraia

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch
Space elevators will not be built for hundreds of years if ever. By the time the technology is available to do so we will already have cheaper alternatives to reach earth orbit. I can't see buildings rising much higher than 1000m. There is simply no need for them, apart from forfilling the fantasy's of the kids on this forum.
Old June 19th, 2006, 11:16 PM   #57
Mascalzone
User de Zena

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck
Actually a 500m building is not economically viable. I heard somewhere that a building becomes not eco viable around 300m.
Hey hey just a minute.

When some "mads" built Woolworth, Chrysler & ESB nobody considered them economically affordable. But look at them now: they're monuments of a recent past. Higher skyscraper spirit is not a short period economical business.

I think 1000m/3000ft is the actual "visions" reliable limit, and it will last for long.

Last edited by Mascalzone; June 21st, 2006 at 10:38 PM.
Mascalzone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 01:59 AM   #58
mdiederi
Artist

Likes (Received): 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer789
The tallest structure in the world will be the Enviromission Solar Tower, which will be built in AUSTRALIA!
Found this pic on a blog.
mdiederi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 02:29 AM   #59
boricuba
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

I saw an arquitectural article that the tallest building is the tower at taipei taiwain then follow by Sears tower chicago!

I also read that in Ground zero in New york city they will beat the tallest building on earth!

Does anybody have a link or a list of tallest buildings

I also know that the Skytower in toronto uis laso in that list as one of the highest or the highest structure in the world please advise!
boricuba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 08:36 PM   #60
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

You have 188 posts in this forum and still don't know the answers to those questions?
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote