search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Hellenic Architecture Agora > Φωτογραφίες και Πολιτισμός | Photography and Culture > Φωτογραφίες Ελλάδος και Κύπρου | Photos of Greece & Cyprus

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old November 2nd, 2005, 04:19 AM   #1
Pytheus

Likes (Received): 0

Καλαμάτα | Kalamata

----for better viewing, screen resolution in 1024x768 and press F11 while viewing the current Internet Explorer / Mozilla window----

KALAMATA!
My home town!

The Homeric “Pharai” city…
We had sent 3 ships at the Trojan War, according to Homer…
Capital of the Messinia Region.

The uprising that at last turned to be successful against the ottomans, was started from these holy lands!
Kolokotronis, Papaflessas, Nikitaras, Mavromihalaioi and many of our freedom leaders were present in that blessed day of that blessed uprising…

The modern name of the city is coming from a village nearby Pharai, that was called “KALAMAI” (city/village of reeds, canes, calamus)

We are famous for:
-our earthquakes
-our folk dance (kalamatianos)
-our silk artifacts, mainly scarves these days
-our olive trees (we produce the best olive oil on the planet)
-our cigarettes (“Karelia” brand)
(well, and many other negative other things that I won't mention here... )

Sunshines:

The entrance of Kalamata: (Nedontos str)

Follow me for a tour inside!!

Last edited by Pytheus; November 2nd, 2005 at 04:25 AM.
Pytheus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 2nd, 2005, 05:38 AM   #2
chicagogeorge

Likes (Received): 893

Very nice! Last time I was in Kalamata was in 2001.

for the Pelasgians, too, were a Greek nation originally from the Peloponnesus
The Roman Antiquities of Dionysius of Halicarnassus
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...assus/1B*.html

Macedonia, of course, is a part of Greece". Strabo, VII, Frg. 9
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...ragments*.html

But north of the gulf, the first inhabitants are Greeks called Epirotes....
Procopius
http://books.google.com/books?id=9m6...page&q&f=false
chicagogeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2005, 05:45 AM   #3
Pytheus

Centre

Old city:

Pashas's restored house:

Vileardouin's Castle (pic shot from far away):

The place where people go when get old... (damn, how is it called in english?):

Central square:

Old November 2nd, 2005, 05:58 AM   #4
Christos7

Likes (Received): 2

GREAT pics re Pytheus!!!!

DId you take them youself? Kalamata is beautiful.
"Men of Athens... Had I not greatly at heart the common welfare of Hellas I should not have come to tell you; but I am myself Hellene by descent, and I would not willingly see Hellas exchange freedom for slavery..." - Alexander I of Macedonia

(Herodotos, 9.45)
Christos7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2005, 06:16 AM   #5
Pytheus

Port of Kalamata:

Old November 2nd, 2005, 06:32 AM   #6
Pytheus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christos7
DId you take them youself? Kalamata is beautiful.
Yup, I took them myself

And you have seen nothing... This is just the breakfast...

Personaly I am in love with this city... Each corner of it is hiding a story for me, and I am bound with it since each passing moment I smell scents I'll never forget for various reasons...

For the rest of you that may come as visitors some day, Kalamata dresses herself with a hevenly heady perfume... In the spring the orange and lemon trees are exploding their beauty and create a paradise environment...

Last edited by Pytheus; June 11th, 2008 at 11:55 PM.
Old November 2nd, 2005, 07:10 AM   #7
Raleigh-NC

Likes (Received): 44

Pytheus, I have been following this thread while you were posting your photos in chunks I thought that the time has come for me to comment on your fantastic job!!! Kalamata finally found in you a representative worthy of capturing its beauty. Great photos, without a doubt I wonder whether I should stay up all night (it is almost midnight in Raleigh) and see what else you will post, or be patient until tomorrow morning

I recognized all the streets that I used to walk while a teenager, and most of the times I visit. In particular, I would like to mention the following:

1) Old Paralia's High School - my mother attended high school in that building, and I only attended the first class of high school in there, until the building next to Tehniko & Epagelmatiko was completed:
http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/5048/pict04234wc.jpg

2) Panellinio:
http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/129/pict04049cz.jpg

3) My godson - I was very young when he was baptized but I contributed to the ceremony - and his wife own the DUR store in that photo:
http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/7576/pict00885uh.jpg

I have many fond memories of Kalamata, and if it wasn't for the earthquake, this city would have impressed a lot. Prior to that horrible event, on September of 1986, Kalamata was an amazing place to be, a far cry from what you see today. If I had a digital camera back then, I would have captured much of the beauty that it is impossible to see these days when visiting. Still, I am hopeful that eventually, Kalamata will regain its strength. Maybe a few good investments could help Still, the city possesses amazing urbanity and lots of good street-level activity. The nightlife is also good, but then again so it is everywhere in Greece. I miss Fanari Pub, Imimetro, South Town and What Club, but there are many other places to make up for that loss, I assume.

BTW, what camera do you use?

Can't wait for the main course

Visit this thread on my hometown (Kalamata, Greece) and this one, too.

The right decision
Raleigh-NC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2005, 08:41 AM   #8
Pytheus

As I see that Raleigh-NC can not wait, I will post the

Methoni Street of Kalamata and suroundings:

Surounding houses:

Last edited by Pytheus; November 2nd, 2005 at 08:51 AM.
Old November 2nd, 2005, 09:16 AM   #9
Pytheus

Messenian Bay:

Old November 2nd, 2005, 04:06 PM   #10
Raleigh-NC

Pytheus, you definitely delivered!!! Where can I begin? Here is my neighborhood - my house is to the left, right after the parked red car:

On the second floor of this georgeous house is where I went for my guitar lessons - shortlived, but it was fun while it lasted. The house barely seen to the left belongs to one of my oldest and best friends and his family. Great memories from this neighborhood:

It saddens me to see that houses I remember as elegant and attractive are not preserved the way they should be (like the one shown below). What a shame, because we are talking about really nice homes! Also notice the grafitti on the outside wall/fence of this house and the wall of the apartment building in the background. What a shame

There are no words I can say to thank you enough for posting these photos. For me, who lives so far away from Kalamata, it is always a relief to see up to date images from the place I spent almost 17 out of my first 18 years. The city certainly feels great when in person - I always complained that Kalamata isn't as photogenic - and if I was EVER to live in Greece, that would be my city of choice. Not that Kalamata is the most beautiful, of course, but it has a lot of things I look in a city... at least Greek city. Many thanks for continuing to present our hometown. As you can see, I placed a link to my signature, so others can visit this thread.

The right decision
Old November 2nd, 2005, 10:41 PM   #11
Pytheus

@ Raleigh-NC:

- Old Paralia school was the school of my grand mother too.. I recal her in my memory telling me stories about it... now its a place housing activities of the ministry of Culture I think, but dunno for sure..

- I am a very often customer of the Dur store.. And they know my mother very well !!

- I will post the photos in a several days time-period, cause as I told you I do not have the time to post them at once... I have many of photos, some of them in bad quality, shaken, blah blah, captures with personal meaning, etc, so the most tiring part is to filter them so the best to be uploaded (cause I have many pics for each subject), then compress them, upload them with my (damn too low) 128 kbps upload speed, etc...

- Please do not thank me ... it is more than pleasure to post these photos!!!

- My camera is a Minolta E-500... I was looking for sth cheap, as I do not think that in the compat digital cameras there are severe differencies... It has 5 Mpix resolution, and it is sth more than I even wanted...

Quote:
Kalamata finally found in you a representative worthy of capturing its beauty.
Quote:
The city certainly feels great when in person - I always complained that Kalamata isn't as photogenic -
Well, I do like the neo-classical houses, as I believe that they inded express more harmony than the flat appartments with the blkinys and the tents...

If I was in charge of the poleodomia of greece and had the power and the money, one thing is certain: all cities of Greece would be demolished from the foundations and be built again spacious, relatively small in population, and with grace and harmonious architectural rules (modern or classical does not matter at all).

Hold your horses, cause more photos are on their way!
Old November 2nd, 2005, 11:49 PM   #12
Christos7

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
=Pytheus
If I was in charge of the poleodomia of greece and had the power and the money, one thing is certain: all cities of Greece would be demolished from the foundations and be built again spacious, relatively small in population, and with grace and harmonious architectural rules (modern or classical does not matter at all).

I am with you there, any time you want to start a revolution on the subject let me know, I have your back.
"Men of Athens... Had I not greatly at heart the common welfare of Hellas I should not have come to tell you; but I am myself Hellene by descent, and I would not willingly see Hellas exchange freedom for slavery..." - Alexander I of Macedonia

(Herodotos, 9.45)
Christos7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2005, 11:59 PM   #13
Raleigh-NC

Pytheus, thanks for all the additional information (camera model, etc.) Next time you go to DUR, tell Giota that you chat with her husband's godfather, from the U.S. They are VERY nice, both of them.

Kalamata has a very nice collection of neo-classical structures. If anyone could simply go around and take photos, he could come up with enough material to publish a large book. There are many good examples of successful renovations, but some morons destroy those buildings with stupid and pointless grafitti The architectural treasures of Kalamata are many, but it will take lots of effort to record them. So far, you have done an outstanding work.

O.k., I will let you catch your breath from posting so many photos, but don't you believe I will not remind you if it takes longer than a few days I showed your photos to some coworkers and they loved them. Now they want to see more Notice the link to this thread in my signature...

The right decision
Old November 3rd, 2005, 01:25 PM   #14
MetroGuardian

Likes (Received): 5

Kalamata is absolutely beautiful !!!
It seems so bright and welcoming, a land of eternal optimism.

(ok, it is my homeland....) :-)

TALLATHENS
MetroGuardian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2005, 10:30 AM   #15
Prometheus

Likes (Received): 9

Pytheus, thank you very much for the photos of the hometown of my parents. It's nice to see the city again after the 8 long years that I was last there. I must admit the photos of the familiar places look much better today than in my memory. When I saw the update of the Messiniakos stadium on Stadia.gr I was also shocked as I remember it back before the new pitch and seats.

http://www.stadia.gr/kalamata/kalamata.html

And the perhaps the BIGGEST surprise for me recently concerning this town I love?

The new hospital. Of course you remember the old one on Athinon (??). It was a shambles of a building. The new one looks very good though. Of course the Greek health system needs a major overhaul but this is a topic for another thread.

Please post whatever more you can find spare time for you don't know how happy you make me when you take the time to post these things.

P.S Is the little baraki 'Bythos' still around? And I also remember a nice place near the Filoxenia called 'Malibu' or something like that?

Good times.....
Old November 4th, 2005, 10:34 AM   #16
Prometheus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus
P.S Is the little baraki 'Bythos' still around? And I also remember a nice place near the Filoxenia called 'Malibu' or something like that?

Good times.....
Small world! A quick search in Yahoo gave me this.....

http://www.bythoscafe.gr/aboutus.html

It looks different. Also, there was this little Rock Bar. What was it's name. Notos or something like that.

Good times man, good times....
Old November 4th, 2005, 04:37 PM   #17
Raleigh-NC

You guys make me a bit nostalgic So many memories to share!!! I remember Bythos, although it looked VERY different then. I also remember Malibu, and Notos. Wish I had a digital camera back then

@Prometheus: I have been to the "new" hospital many times. During my last two visits I would spend several hours in there 3 times a week, while my grandmother was going through dialysis - we lost her back in May. That hospital has potential for more, but its budget is too low. I wish they could find the funds to add more personnel, abulances and equipment. Still, it is a far cry from the old one. Thanks for the link to Messiniakos stadium. I have seen MANY games in there, especially during the last 2 seasons before I moved to the U.S. - 1983-1985. I am a Mavri Thyella fan, even during these days. Here is a link to Kalamata's Municipal Stadium:

http://www.stadia.gr/kalamataparalia...taparalia.html

And for those of you who are Mavri Thyella fans, like me, here are a couple of links:

http://www.paekalamata.net/

http://www.bulldogs-kalamata.com/

Anyone remembers any of the pubs/cafes I mentioned earlier (Southtown, Fanari, Imimetro and What Club)?

The right decision
Old November 7th, 2005, 12:56 AM   #18
Pytheus

@ Raleigh-NC

Quote:
Next time you go to DUR, tell Giota that you chat with her husband's godfather, from the U.S. They are VERY nice, both of them
Next time I'll go to the DUR shop, I'll tell them about you.. !
I remember once that I went to get a jacket from there with my brother, when we left the shop, I told him, "hey they are really nice people", but he answered that we are the customers and its their job to be nice to us, and I agreed with him, but now I guess that indeed I was right about them.. You just can't hide kindness..

Quote:
Kalamata has a very nice collection of neo-classical structures. If anyone could simply go around and take photos, he could come up with enough material to publish a large book. There are many good examples of successful renovations, but some morons destroy those buildings with stupid and pointless grafitti The architectural treasures of Kalamata are many, but it will take lots of effort to record them. So far, you have done an outstanding work.
Yeah, grafitis are discusting.
I'll post photos from the trains park of Kalamata, and there someone can talk for destruction...

My little brother once brought some of his friends to "decorate" with grafitis the garage of our house and I literaly chased them in a way they are still runing..

Quote:
I showed your photos to some coworkers and they loved them. Now they want to see more Notice the link to this thread in my signature...
Glad they liked them,
And flatered to put the link of Kalamata in your sig... I know it is a beautiful city, but someone must open his eyes to find that beauty, cause its somewhat hidden

@MetroGardian

Quote:
Kalamata is absolutely beautiful !!!
It seems so bright and welcoming, a land of eternal optimism.

(ok, it is my homeland....) :-)
Another fellow Messenian!!
Well, yup its indeed bright and optimistic city, but with all the flaws of the modern Greek cities..

@ Prometheus

Quote:
Pytheus, thank you very much for the photos of the hometown of my parents. It's nice to see the city again after the 8 long years that I was last there. I must admit the photos of the familiar places look much better today than in my memory.
Yr welcome dude!!

About the photos, well, I suppose that when being there there are so many things to distract someone from seeking the beautiful of the city, especially for a modern greek city..
But hey, in the end of the day, photography is also a kind of art... And the definition of art is to idealise things..

Quote:
When I saw the update of the Messiniakos stadium on Stadia.gr I was also shocked as I remember it back before the new pitch and seats.
Yeah, because Kalamata has been quite upgrated in the athletic's map cause of several paneuropean grand prixs, all of our stadiums were upgraded... the most costy thing in the messiniakos stadium was the "tartan"... hell of a lot of millions..

Quote:
And the perhaps the BIGGEST surprise for me recently concerning this town I love?

The new hospital. Of course you remember the old one on Athinon (??). It was a shambles of a building. The new one looks very good though.
do not get me wrong, but the old hospital architecturally is far better than the new one... the new one is just a box with small windows and green pipes as a decoration...

I don't have a pic of the old one, but at least its lines are obviously studied ..

anyway..

the new hospital though is very functional, very modern and at least clean and plesant contrary to the old one..

Quote:
Small world! A quick search in Yahoo gave me this.....

http://www.bythoscafe.gr/aboutus.html

It looks different.
Yeah, bythos is like that nowadays, but there are far better places outside Kalamata (Selitsa, Almyrow, Akroyali, Santova, Hranoi) to have your frappe and sunshine than bythos..

Bythos is for teenagers that do not have vehicle to go further and for soldiers from the stratopedo (that also do not have vehicle)..

But it is still beautiful and the youths hanging around there makr it beautiful..

Quote:
Also, there was this little Rock Bar. What was it's name. Notos or something like that.

Good times man, good times....
Now you'r my man..

I would never expect anyone to have heard of Notos...

Oh, you can not believe what strong and beautiful memories I have of this little bar..

It is a bit "parakmiako" (deteriorated) but this is exactly one of its strong points.. Rock music goes along with that.

If you ever get in there again, you will propbly find me in a dark corner drinking my favourite drink: Amaretto with lemon!

But unfortunately my friends now "have got serious" and do not like Notos anymore... Anyway, I will continue to go there , even if the bar closes... Its one of the places my thoughts very often travel there...

@ Raleigh-NC, again,

Quote:
Anyone remembers any of the pubs/cafes I mentioned earlier (Southtown, Fanari, Imimetro and What Club)?
Sorry raleigh, no such places like these nowadays... Propably they have changed name ..

Never heard of Malibu either...
Old November 7th, 2005, 03:27 AM   #19
Prometheus

Quote:
Yr welcome dude!!

About the photos, well, I suppose that when being there there are so many things to distract someone from seeking the beautiful of the city, especially for a modern greek city..
But hey, in the end of the day, photography is also a kind of art... And the definition of art is to idealise things..
I say it again mate, thanks alot for these pictures they made my day.

Keep at it for us to make us in the diaspora homesick.

Quote:
Yeah, because Kalamata has been quite upgrated in the athletic's map cause of several paneuropean grand prixs, all of our stadiums were upgraded... the most costy thing in the messiniakos stadium was the "tartan"... hell of a lot of millions..
I didn't know this. I know that in 1997 when I saw a friendly there is was totally different. Downright ugly.

Quote:
the new hospital though is very functional, very modern and at least clean and plesant contrary to the old one..
For hospitals the most important thing.

Quote:
Now you'r my man..

I would never expect anyone to have heard of Notos...

Oh, you can not believe what strong and beautiful memories I have of this little bar..

It is a bit "parakmiako" (deteriorated) but this is exactly one of its strong points.. Rock music goes along with that.

If you ever get in there again, you will propbly find me in a dark corner drinking my favourite drink: Amaretto with lemon!

But unfortunately my friends now "have got serious" and do not like Notos anymore... Anyway, I will continue to go there , even if the bar closes... Its one of the places my thoughts very often travel there...

I only went a couple of times but I remember it fondly. What a small world eh?

I'll keep an eye out for someone in a corner drinking Amaretto and I'll send you over a round or two when I make it back.

Na'sai kala phile efhariso pali yia tis photografies.
Old November 7th, 2005, 03:35 AM   #20
Pytheus

Some add-on pictures to the "Messenian bay" post...

Kastraki

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: