daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 11th, 2006, 03:17 AM   #281
Mr. Fusion
Just A Pilot... :-)

Likes (Received): 10

Thanks for the huuuuuuuge pics!

Last edited by Mr. Fusion; July 11th, 2006 at 03:33 AM. Reason: Yay!
Mr. Fusion no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 11th, 2006, 03:23 AM   #282
Jiangwho

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fusion

Thanks for the huuuuuuuge pics!

thanks for reminding me.

Last edited by Jiangwho; July 11th, 2006 at 03:57 AM.
Jiangwho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 03:34 AM   #283
zergcerebrates

Likes (Received): 62

Ah yes! Updated pics! Thats it?!!
zergcerebrates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 06:01 AM   #284
SOLOMON
North America USA-Canada

Likes (Received): 675

those pictures are insane....(too large...)
SOLOMON no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 06:48 AM   #285
Bertez

Likes (Received): 6

Oh God...why are they using that ugly greenish-teal colour......
Old July 11th, 2006, 07:39 AM   #286
The Cebuano Exultor
Seeking Affiliation

Likes (Received): 21

Teal Color-Scheme

I think that the teal-color you are seeing in the pics are not really teal in the literal sense of the word. They only appear or seem teal but they aren't teal in reality.
Old July 11th, 2006, 07:59 AM   #287
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

I like the design but how come Chinese (and Hong Kong) airports require so many planes to park in stands away from the terminal?

I thought a design like these would be better for having more planes park that the terminal. I would call this the "tree" and "bar" design but I'm not sure what the official terms are for airports deisgned like O'hare and ATL.

FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 09:24 AM   #288
Mr. Fusion
Just A Pilot... :-)

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258
I like the design but how come Chinese (and Hong Kong) airports require so many planes to park in stands away from the terminal?

I thought a design like these would be better for having more planes park that the terminal. I would call this the "tree" and "bar" design but I'm not sure what the official terms are for airports deisgned like O'hare and ATL.
I'd call O'Hare a "tree" type layout too.

Atlanta is referred to most commonly as a "toast rack".

Mr. Fusion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 01:25 PM   #289
gakei
GAKEI.com | EHK

Likes (Received): 13

First phase of the terminal of Hong Kong Airport must be wholely built on the original Chek Lap Kok Island otherwise it will sink like Kansai. Therefore the layout design has little flexibility.
gakei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 04:05 PM   #290
crossbowman
^Xpande®^

Likes (Received): 2

That airport is SO massive!
in fact these pics are also so huge ,they nearly crashed my PC

[- Reunification of the PARTHENON Marbles -]

Life is FULL of rude awakenings...
crossbowman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 04:18 AM   #291
FM 2258

Quote:
Originally Posted by gakei
First phase of the terminal of Hong Kong Airport must be wholely built on the original Chek Lap Kok Island otherwise it will sink like Kansai. Therefore the layout design has little flexibility.
That makes sense but why is the layout similar with PEK? The "tree" design seems to hold the most planes so why don't new terminals at large airports use it?
Old July 12th, 2006, 05:39 AM   #292
celestar0

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fusion
I'd call O'Hare a "tree" type layout too.

Atlanta is referred to most commonly as a "toast rack".

AFAIK, O'Hare's terminal layout is called "(Finger-)Pier Plan", while Atlanta's is a combo of "Linear Concept" & "Satellite Concept".

Last edited by celestar0; July 12th, 2006 at 06:07 AM.
celestar0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 06:03 AM   #293
celestar0

Likes (Received): 1

How T3 looked like about a month ago...

...well actually it's T3B, exclusively for int'l flights (photo courtesy of 'pj')

Last edited by celestar0; July 12th, 2006 at 06:16 AM.
celestar0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 06:07 AM   #294
Harkeb
BANNED

Likes (Received): 22

The Beijing airport plans are phenomenal!. It's HUGE & AWESOME!
Harkeb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 06:44 AM   #295
deej

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:

I think part of it has to do with the fact that all the gates at many of these new terminals were designed with the latest widebody jets in mind. Take Hong Kong for example. It's a huge terminal but only has 48 gates for airplanes to park directly at the terminal (with expansion, will increase to 80). All gates are designed for widebody aircraft, and have two jetways to allow rapid boarding and deplaning (I seem to recall they were designed from the start to handle the A380 -- someone might want to confirm this). There are no gates specifically for narrow-body jets.

Contrast that to your pictures of Atlanta and Chicago, where a smaller percentage of the gates are designed to handle 747 or larger aircraft.

Historically, airlines (and airports) in Asia have been slot-constrained, meaning larger aircraft in general. Cathay Pacific Airways in HK operates only a wide-body fleet of B777s, B744s, A330s and A340s. No B737s or A320s here!

Despite the relatively small number of gates, Hong Kong still handled 40 million passengers last year. And I can't remember the last time I had to take a bus to a remote stand (except when traveling on a Chinese airline).

An interesting aside. I remember the old Hong Kong Kai Tak airport only had 8 jetways. Most planes had to park remotely. So I'd say the new airport is a definite improvement!
deej no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 07:03 AM   #296
swerveut
quit wasting my time !!

Likes (Received): 357

I just drooled over these renders for the past thirty minutes!

The steel used in that structure would have depleted an entire iron mine!

Incredible!
swerveut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 10:43 AM   #297
delores

Likes (Received): 473

Nice renders though i'm somewhat disappointed with the result. The roof looks a tangled mess inside and the red dragon theme is a bit lazy and silly. There is no sense of serenity within this space unlike Hong Kong's airport which in my eye's is a far superior design,clean and simple. I do like however the garden like spaces within the airport though I doubt in the summer months these will be used due to the humidity/noise and pollution around this aiport.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 11:01 AM   #298
FM 2258

Quote:
Originally Posted by deej
I think part of it has to do with the fact that all the gates at many of these new terminals were designed with the latest widebody jets in mind. Take Hong Kong for example. It's a huge terminal but only has 48 gates for airplanes to park directly at the terminal (with expansion, will increase to 80). All gates are designed for widebody aircraft, and have two jetways to allow rapid boarding and deplaning (I seem to recall they were designed from the start to handle the A380 -- someone might want to confirm this). There are no gates specifically for narrow-body jets.

Contrast that to your pictures of Atlanta and Chicago, where a smaller percentage of the gates are designed to handle 747 or larger aircraft.

Historically, airlines (and airports) in Asia have been slot-constrained, meaning larger aircraft in general. Cathay Pacific Airways in HK operates only a wide-body fleet of B777s, B744s, A330s and A340s. No B737s or A320s here!

Despite the relatively small number of gates, Hong Kong still handled 40 million passengers last year. And I can't remember the last time I had to take a bus to a remote stand (except when traveling on a Chinese airline).

An interesting aside. I remember the old Hong Kong Kai Tak airport only had 8 jetways. Most planes had to park remotely. So I'd say the new airport is a definite improvement!
Wow, thanks for the explanation. I failed to take note of the plane sizes over in Hong Kong and other large Asian cities.

Here in the U.S. we see lots of DC-9's, MD80's (my favorite), 737's, A320's down to shitloads of ERJ's and CRJ's that also occupy gates. That last time I had to take a bus to a remote stand was when I boarded an EMB-120 at IAH since they seem to park all their turboprops away from the gates.

With all that said I do like the design of this new terminal but as others are pointing out they need to arrange the colors so that they're pleasing to the eye.
Old July 12th, 2006, 12:43 PM   #299
deej

Quote:
Wow, thanks for the explanation. I failed to take note of the plane sizes over in Hong Kong and other large Asian cities.

Here in the U.S. we see lots of DC-9's, MD80's (my favorite), 737's, A320's down to shitloads of ERJ's and CRJ's that also occupy gates. That last time I had to take a bus to a remote stand was when I boarded an EMB-120 at IAH since they seem to park all their turboprops away from the gates.

With all that said I do like the design of this new terminal but as others are pointing out they need to arrange the colors so that they're pleasing to the eye.
Here's a picture of HKG:

You can see the wide spacing between gates as well as the general use of larger planes. Of all the planes in this picture -- 35 by my count -- at least 24 of them are widebodies. The dual jetways can also be clearly seen on the right.

Incidentally, the new Beijing terminal and Hong Kong airport were both designed by Norman Foster -- hence the similarity in shape. Foster also designed the terminal at London Stansted, so it's been interesting to watch the evolution in Foster's airport designs starting with Stansted, HK and now to Beijing.
deej no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 02:29 PM   #300
vvill

fm_2258,

also hong kong is currently constructing a smaller terminal specifically for narrow-body aircrafts and it'll provide an addition of 10 more parking gates.

and from the rendering, you can see the gates are much closer for that reason.

vvill no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
beijing, east asian hub airport