daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation All about taking us higher

Old January 31st, 2007, 11:12 PM   #381
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenthere View Post
Beijing remade for Olympics 2008...hope it continues this "face-lift" even after Olympics end.
Although what Beijing is doing is nice, I think China has more of a priority in working on closing the wealth disparity and the contrast between urban and rural life.
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 31st, 2007, 11:17 PM   #382
cold

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladisimo View Post
Although what Beijing is doing is nice, I think China has more of a priority in working on closing the wealth disparity and the contrast between urban and rural life.
Stop with the BS.... china just move over 300 million people out of poverty, give them some credit.
cold no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 12:52 AM   #383
zergcerebrates

Likes (Received): 30

Nice. No updated interior pics?
zergcerebrates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2007, 01:40 PM   #384
BJSH

pics,pls
BJSH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2007, 01:50 PM   #385
BJSH

BJSH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2007, 05:51 PM   #386
raymond_tung88

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladisimo View Post
I know where you're coming from and I do believe that thsi is a serious issue that should be dealt with but the construction and operating of so many newly-built facilities is creating SO MANY jobs for people. Who do you think constructs these buildings?

So indirectly, this mass construction is lifting people out of poverty or at least giving them the chance to. China right now is undergoing the largest human migration in global history- the migration of migrants from the inland provinces to the coastal cities.

Lastly, China isn't the only country that has a disparity between urban and rural life. Many developed countries also have this problem or if they don't they are experiencing a widening gap between the rich and poor.
raymond_tung88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 07:15 AM   #387
p5archit

They are not necessarily migrating because they want to- in most cases they are forced to. If the government comes in and basically tells you that the land you live from and on, will be used for a dam or some international manufacturing centre, what else are you to do but leave..
Then once in the city, there is massive unemployment, severe pollution and huge social economic problems which follow. At one point you were able to provide for the family by growing your own food, and possibly even selling it for a simple income, but you could survive. Now, millions of people have been driven from their homes and forced into concrete towers with nothing to do. Great the buildings are new and clean and have amenities that their former houses/living spaces may not have had, but again, you have removed their livelihoods..

That said, the airport is looking crazy...I had no idea how fast it was being completed..until I looked today..WOW!

p5
Old February 8th, 2007, 05:21 PM   #388
duskdawn
My Heart is with Beijing.

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5archit View Post
They are not necessarily migrating because they want to- in most cases they are forced to. If the government comes in and basically tells you that the land you live from and on, will be used for a dam or some international manufacturing centre, what else are you to do but leave..
Then once in the city, there is massive unemployment, severe pollution and huge social economic problems which follow. At one point you were able to provide for the family by growing your own food, and possibly even selling it for a simple income, but you could survive. Now, millions of people have been driven from their homes and forced into concrete towers with nothing to do. Great the buildings are new and clean and have amenities that their former houses/living spaces may not have had, but again, you have removed their livelihoods..
The case you mentioned that people are "forced" to leave rural homes to big cities exists, but rare. Most of them are voluntarily to leave for big cities. The reason for them is simple: they can make more money, even not as much as citizens in the cities, but much better than when they were at home.
duskdawn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 08:53 PM   #389
p5archit

Making more money?? IF you get a job that is. Lets face the facts here, a large portion are forced to leave their land because of government pressure- I have many friends who work in China and have told me that this is a huge problem. Rural communities are being destroyed by the hundreds daily/weekly to sustain China's massive economic machine.

It is possible and I will not disagree that people can make more money in the cities than on their land, but many people are not happy that they have to leave- this is land they have had in the families for generations and it has been suddenly pulled out from under them without any discussion. In a good number of cases, people have not even received the money the have been promised by the government and the places which the government has so graciously (sarcastic) given these people, sometimes needs to be sold in order to keep the family fed and clothed.

Anyways, people are going to get pissed off with these political discussions in the airport section..so I will stop now.

p5

Last edited by p5archit; February 8th, 2007 at 08:55 PM. Reason: ee
p5archit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 11:23 PM   #390
duskdawn
My Heart is with Beijing.

I'm not saying most of them are happy or not, or the whole population will benefit from this industrial revolution or not. I'm only telling the fact that most of the immigrants from rural areas came to cities for making money. It is called 打工 in Chinese. Most, not all of course, are not forced because of demolishing of their homes. Usually their familes (the seniors, the children or even the wives) stay at rural homes while the men or young daughters work in the cities to make money. If they left their home simply because "the government destroying their rural communities", how could they come back every Chinese new year and celebrate with their families? There's another new word for this phenomena: 春运.

I don't think any of your foreign workers in China know this better than me who spent almost whole life so far in that country.
duskdawn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 11:36 PM   #391
zergling

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5archit View Post
Making more money?? IF you get a job that is. Lets face the facts here, a large portion are forced to leave their land because of government pressure- I have many friends who work in China and have told me that this is a huge problem. Rural communities are being destroyed by the hundreds daily/weekly to sustain China's massive economic machine.

It is possible and I will not disagree that people can make more money in the cities than on their land, but many people are not happy that they have to leave- this is land they have had in the families for generations and it has been suddenly pulled out from under them without any discussion. In a good number of cases, people have not even received the money the have been promised by the government and the places which the government has so graciously (sarcastic) given these people, sometimes needs to be sold in order to keep the family fed and clothed.

Anyways, people are going to get pissed off with these political discussions in the airport section..so I will stop now.

p5
Many people are forced to leave, that's true. Numbers maybe in the thousands, or even tens of thousands. But when you refer to the largest migration in the history of human civilization, it's ridiculous to think that the Chinese government actually forced the hundreds of millions of peasants to move to cities. Are you even aware of the extremely controversial measures that have existed for decades that aims to contain and curb the abrupt migration from rural to urban? This issue has been hotly debated in China like for ever, because the city simply CANNOT take that many rural popoulation that VOLUNTARILY move to cities.
zergling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 01:14 AM   #392
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Likes (Received): 4

I wouldn't find it surprising that China's gov't would force people to move, they have forced its people to do a lot of things before. However, if they make too much of the rural pop. urbanize, then where would China's agricultural economy go? They need to feed both its ppl and the world.
Old February 9th, 2007, 04:50 AM   #393
cyberjaya
KL/PHL/BJ

Likes (Received): 6

Chinese government manages its city and rural population by Hukou, people are divided into a rural Hukou and urban Hukou. Urban Hukou receives more benefits than rural Hukou but the advantage is diminishing.

Although Hukou can never restrict people from free movement (300 million people moved to cities in last decade), rural people are happy to receive a urban Hukou to enjoy more of the urban life.

It's true in some area people are forced to leave their land due to corruption and bureacracy . But the real situation is most rural people are rushing to the cities to enjoy the city life.

How to get all those rural population employed?
Urbanization is the government's policy since 1990s. While almost 60% of China's population is rural population, they only contribute to 11% of the country's GDP. Most developed countries have a less than 10% of rural population. Urbanization rate is a indicator of a country's development status.

The urbanization speed is 1% in China, which means each year 10 million people will move from countryside to cities. China has built many cities from counties during the past two decades. How to employ the 10 million people every year?

By statistics, every 1% of GDP growth can create 1 million jobs in China. Now you know why China should maintain a over 10% GDP growth rate each year. It's barely enough to accommodate the 10 million job seekers from rural areas.

Of course, China needs agriculture to feed its people. But better technology and innovation should be the key to improve its agriculture sector, not the accumulation of rural population.

It's easier to accuse than find the truth in a developing economy.
cyberjaya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 05:44 AM   #394
annoying

Likes (Received): 1

when we talking about China, someone~~use your imagination~~you never commit a crime when you open your big big mouth here
this place seems to be turning into a UN congress.....
annoying no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 11:35 AM   #395
UD2
A very cool person

seriously guys.. if you wanna debate politics, find another forum.

we're talking about buildings here... BUILDINGS...
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower
UD2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2007, 10:30 PM   #396
celestar0

Some updated information of Beijing T3, from a 16 Feb '07 news article:

Total floor area: 986,000 sq m

Equipment installations: 80% complete

Interior finishing: 50% complete

Completion date: late-June '07

Trial operation: year-end '07

Last edited by celestar0; February 18th, 2007 at 10:39 PM.
celestar0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 08:04 AM   #397
The Cebuano Exultor
Urban Fanatic

Likes (Received): 12

@ celestar0

Something tells me you're well-connected with the contractors and/or developers of Terminal 3. You know too much about it.

Btw, I read somewhere that this isn't yet the final phase of BCIA's expansions and that T3 will eventually have 120-gates instead of the about-to-be-finished 66-hard-stand aerobridge gates.
Old February 19th, 2007, 09:54 AM   #398
zergcerebrates

Likes (Received): 30

Updated pics?
zergcerebrates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 07:49 PM   #399
celestar0

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cebuano Exultor View Post
Something tells me you're well-connected with the contractors and/or developers of Terminal 3. You know too much about it.
Not at all! I got all the info from the net, much of them in Simplified Chinese. I don't even live in Mainland China!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zergcerebrates
Updated pics?
I'm also looking forward to good pix which obviously show the construction progress, esp. the interior finishing. Hope they're available very soon! I'll post them as soon as I find some.

Last edited by celestar0; February 19th, 2007 at 08:00 PM.
celestar0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 09:23 AM   #400
UD2
A very cool person

I don't think the terminal can handel anymore than 66 gates.

the other 60 or so access points they were talking about probabley are parking spots that are around the terminal.

Chinese airports are very profecient and willing to bus people to their planes that are parked in the middle of the apron
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower
UD2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
beijing