daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 5th, 2005, 04:54 PM   #81
Handsome

Likes (Received): 3

and Beijing will build its second airport before 2010.
Handsome no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 5th, 2005, 05:18 PM   #82
Mosaic
BANGKOK

Likes (Received): 805

so hugh!!!
Mosaic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2005, 06:00 PM   #83
satit28
Rukpong

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome
Really!!!.........
Another big one comin...........
satit28 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2005, 06:47 PM   #84
weill
North Roanoke

Likes (Received): 4

nice!
weill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2005, 07:57 PM   #85
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

Where's the second airport? On the other side of the city? If not, why not just build the Beijing airport bigger?
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2005, 08:42 PM   #86
dave_chanh

Likes (Received): 0

Well.. I believe the word 'single terminal' here means under the same roof, so as long as the airport is expanded within the same building it would still count as a single terminal building. One terminal can have many buildings attached to it, but it doesn't count as one "single terminal" building. What you can say perhaps is "single terminal" complex, not a single building!
As to the second airport of Beijing someone here claims to be finished before 2010, then it will be considered as a separate airport.
dave_chanh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2005, 08:48 PM   #87
dave_chanh

The fact saying that the new Bangkok airport has the world's largest single terminal building, doesn't include other buildings in the same complex attached to it, such as the 2 big car park buildings infront, the control tower building, the hugh airport hotel and the train station underneath.
Old November 5th, 2005, 09:03 PM   #88
Handsome

Old November 5th, 2005, 10:58 PM   #89
bs_lover_boy
POUND THE ALARM!!!

Likes (Received): 12

I love it!!!! Beijing airport looks very glamourous!
LULU – Locally Unwanted Land Use.
NOPE – Not On Planet Earth
BANANA – Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anything

Anymore????
bs_lover_boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2005, 03:46 AM   #90
General Huo

Likes (Received): 722

I thought 900,000m2 area of T3 is a under-report, or it might be another criteria.

I found Shanghai Pudong new T2 will be 480,000m2, which looks much smaller than half of Beijing T3

“匈奴未灭,无以家为也!” 汉冠军侯景桓侯骠骑大将军大司马霍去病
General Huo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2005, 04:02 AM   #91
Handsome

Old November 6th, 2005, 04:56 AM   #92
Ijud

But if compared only the Main/Passenger Terminal Building excluding its contact piers or concourses even KLIA's terminal (241, 000 sq. m) is bigger than Suvanabhumi's terminal (185,000 sq. m). But looking at the renderings the new Beijing will be bigger than both of them... HKIA's website claims that their whole single terminal size is 570,000 sq. m. ... larger than Suvanabhumi's 563,000 sq. m. ... maybe after the upgrading of the passenger waiting hall to accomodate the huge A380 aircraft!?
Ijud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2005, 05:03 AM   #93
ailiton
Toffy

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_chanh
Well.. I believe the word 'single terminal' here means under the same roof, so as long as the airport is expanded within the same building it would still count as a single terminal building. One terminal can have many buildings attached to it, but it doesn't count as one "single terminal" building. What you can say perhaps is "single terminal" complex, not a single building!
As to the second airport of Beijing someone here claims to be finished before 2010, then it will be considered as a separate airport.
HK's terminal expansion is under one roof.
ailiton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2005, 11:13 AM   #94
zergcerebrates

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Well.. maybe the HKIA has currently increased the terminal size, but it will no longer count as a single terminal. Also that giant terminal of the new Beijing's is divided into 3 buildings(including 2 satellite buildings), therefor the new BKK airport will still hold the title of the world's largest single terminal, besides, they are now going to start the process of constructing the 2nd terminal right after the completion of the 1st terminal, so all together the BKK airport will still be the biggest in the world even bigger than that of Beijing's or any other airport(including their future expansion).
This is where your pride blinds you. The HKIA expansion will still be a single building and the same roof! They just extended it! How hard is it to understand it? Is your comprehension that low?
Whats the size of the new BKK HKIA is 570,000sq m !!
zergcerebrates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2005, 11:25 AM   #95
zergcerebrates

Quote:

If you want to argue about the same roof, the new BKK is not even in the same roof! The tube like concourse and the main concourse are too different roofs while the HKIA is actually ONE SINGLE roof made with the SAME MATERIALS even with the extensions.
Old November 6th, 2005, 11:40 AM   #96
zergcerebrates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome

Yah I heard about that too but its outside of Beijing though. They said they will built the largest terminal bigger than the new T3 of Beijing.
Old November 6th, 2005, 02:08 PM   #97
UMD

Likes (Received): 801

Wow! 3 words: SIR Norman Foster.

That is one impressive airport. I hope Beijing will keep it this way and maintain it properly. For now, HKIA rules.
UMD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2005, 04:10 PM   #98
gakei
GAKEI.com | EHK

Likes (Received): 13

I don't think HK's terminal expansion is "under the same roof" ...

gakei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2005, 07:20 PM   #99
dave_chanh

Quote:
Originally Posted by zergcerebrates
This is where your pride blinds you. The HKIA expansion will still be a single building and the same roof! They just extended it! How hard is it to understand it? Is your comprehension that low?
Whats the size of the new BKK HKIA is 570,000sq m !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zergcerebrates
If you want to argue about the same roof, the new BKK is not even in the same roof! The tube like concourse and the main concourse are too different roofs while the HKIA is actually ONE SINGLE roof made with the SAME MATERIALS even with the extensions.
The same materials?? Ok.. let me put it this way, if they’re going to build the 2nd terminal for BKK airport, the exact copy of the design and materials, will it be still counted as a single terminal building??
At the beginning, they were planning to build a twin terminal buildings at both northern and southern end of the airport property, the construction of the 2nd terminal would start right after the completion of the 1st terminal, but recently the government decided that it would be best to start a new bid for the new construction, and this might result in changing of the previously proposed design.
If you look carefully, at a close-up photo of the BKK airport, one can see that the tube-like concourse and the main concourse are actually the same building! The tube-like concourse is also a roof in its own design. That giant rectangular roof above is just an additional structure, that the designer decided to add it to the design for extra heat protection. A part of the rectangular roof also covers parts of the tube-like concourse as well, but the tube-like concourse stretches much further beyond.
As the desiner wanted to make a distinctive separation between the main terminal building and the gate concourse, for better and convenient use, therefor the design is different, it does its job as a marking point. As for an artistic point of view, it would be so boring to see the whole building is consisted of the same design pattern and materials throught out all the areas!
Someone here in the forum has posted the photos of HKIA’s expansion, it doesn’t look to me like it’s the same building! I’d say it’s the same terminal complex maybe.
Well.. I am sorry if some of the information I have mentioned earlier in this thread might be out of date, but that doesn’t mean that my comprehension is low nor I didn’t know a thing about it. So, others here in the forum could correct me, if I’m wrong. That’s how it goes.
So, if you thought that you have a more updated info, then you can enlight me with some of your information. You’re welcome to do so, but since when I ever made you think that it’s ok to swear at me or anyone else?? So, please be more civilised and open minded. I am not even your friend, so do not get too personal with me.
Please keep your ‘real nice’ attitudes for some of your friends perhaps, and take your ‘Is your comprehension that low??’ back with you, because I don’t need it. Thank you, and besides I think this question suits you pretty well.
Oh.. one more thing you forgot to take back with you, ‘this is where your pride blinds you’.... familiar with that, huh?? Well.. I’d change it from ‘pride’ to ‘jealousy’! THIS IS WHERE YOUR JEALOUSY BLINDS YOU!!

Last edited by dave_chanh; November 6th, 2005 at 07:32 PM.
Old November 6th, 2005, 07:29 PM   #100
dave_chanh

Below are some photos to support my comment. Sorry for the photo sizes.

From this pic, one can see that the tube-like concourse is the same building of the main concourse, just different design.

Bangkok airport has so called doubled-roof for extra heat protection.

Look at it yourself, is this called under the same roof??

Such rectangular roof is also the largest of its kind, making a big columns-free hall at the main concourse building.

Tags
beijing, east asian hub airport