daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 9th, 2008, 12:50 PM   #1041
vvill

Likes (Received): 4

really disappointing interior!!!

the exterior looks absolutely stunning but there's something seriously wrong inside. the red counters are simply unbearable and already look a bit dated! >< also if u look at the shop fronts, the signages are just horrible! and those potted plants are not doing much to help either!!!

it's amazing even if u compare HKIA and Beijing Airport. Both are designed by the same architect and one's opened 11 years ago but still looks a lot nicer and up-to-date compared to the other one...

vvill no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 9th, 2008, 03:19 PM   #1042
pflo777
BANNED

Likes (Received): 89

i totally agree....somehow it looks like "late 70`s reloaded".

Question to those who have been inside the terminal: Is it in reality as dark as it appears on the pics? I think its biggest problem is the combination of the wide glass facades with the dark covered ceilling. This creates that sharp contrast, that appears uncomfortable.

the best thing would be to paint the whole thing white....shiny, bright white. Just like hong Kong or the new Terminal in Singapore.
And leave that gold/red thing to the forbidden city in bejing!
pflo777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2008, 07:13 PM   #1043
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puntagorda View Post
So all the sophisticated cabin designing of modern aircraft manufacturers, the mood lighting etc., is for the birds when you get out of a plane after a 12h flight and see this...
A traveler, after spending 12h in a cramped seat and a small plane, would love to suddenly be relieved by open space and frosted blue walls of glass. Same with departing pax, take in all the openness before going onto a cramped plane.
Old February 10th, 2008, 12:35 AM   #1044
Chevin

Likes (Received): 1

I think you're all being a bit too critical people.... I'd glady have this airport in place of mine!! In all,i think it's nice and contemporary.
Old February 10th, 2008, 02:05 AM   #1045
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

The interior looks pretty good to me. Maybe they need to turn more lights on inside. If I walked into this airport I would be very impressed.

Edit: after looking through the pictures again and again the only thing I don't like is the train. Everything else looks really great. I love it.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 09:49 AM   #1046
vincent

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cebuano Exultor View Post
Oh man, I can't believe Beijing was able to squeeze all annual air passenger traffic (of 52 million pax) between those two small terminals! Look how small they are compared to Beijing-Capital's Terminal 3.
i think even Hong Kong's terminal (currently world's largest terminal building) looks small when it is being put next to this new Terminal 3.
vincent no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 07:53 PM   #1047
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

on my today's stay at PEK (Feb 10 08)

expressway to T3

T3 view, taken from T2
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 05:17 AM   #1048
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2617

Quote:
Yeah...me, too. I mean, look at the mess that is London-Heathrow. Although, there is one exception: Singapore-Changi.
Changi has a people mover which connects you from one terminal to the other. Other than that, airport is layed out very well

As for Beijing. I don't find anything wrong with the terminal.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 04:48 PM   #1049
big-dog

Quote:
Quote:
Oh man, I can't believe Beijing was able to squeeze all annual air passenger traffic (of 52 million pax) between those two small terminals! Look how small they are compared to Beijing-Capital's Terminal 3.
Looks like T3 is 3 times bigger than T1+T2, so it should be able to accomodate 52*3 = 156 million passengers

as a matter of fact, T3's new runway has been used by T1 and T2 for some time, otherwise there's no way T1/T2 can hold 52 mln.

Last edited by big-dog; February 11th, 2008 at 05:01 PM.
Old February 11th, 2008, 04:55 PM   #1050
staff
囧!

Location: Hong Kong | Singapore | Melbourne | Malm÷ | Copenhagen | Shanghai
Likes (Received): 717

All of you critics - you do realise that this isn't how it is going to look when the airport opens, right? All of the lights aren't turned on for one - that's what separates HKG and PEK in those pictures posted.
You also have to learn to tell the difference between reality and how reality looks through a camera lens.

Learn, people. Learn.
Old February 11th, 2008, 07:03 PM   #1051
Yrmom247
Parabolic

Likes (Received): 0

Last edited by Yrmom247; February 24th, 2008 at 08:01 PM.
Yrmom247 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 07:08 PM   #1052
pflo777
BANNED

do they NOT (?) plan to build a connection to the CRH Highspeed railnetwork at this airport?
Old February 11th, 2008, 07:08 PM   #1053
sonnyville
이 스니

Likes (Received): 23

i'm absolutely amazed how large beijing international airport is and how wonderful it looks, but i also can't believe that with this new large airport complex, a new airport will be needed soon due to the reaching capacity level right after this one is built. china's airline industry must really be rapidly expanding for a second airport. happy lunar new year!

The New Garuda Indonesia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-eIuUdujEk
sonnyville no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 11:11 PM   #1054
UD2
A very cool person

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
So all the sophisticated cabin designing of modern aircraft manufacturers, the mood lighting etc., is for the birds when you get out of a plane after a 12h flight and see this...

You mean, because it IS already out of date?
no, i mean this will never go out of date. And if you think it is already out of date, then you need to take a serious look past the fad of what "seems" hip and see how long the "current" designs really will last.

Keep in mind, again, that this is an infrastructure building, not a hotel. Stop comparing it to Grand Hyatt. And using bright colours such as yellow in the interior of the building is not a smart choice unless the colour has special bond with the place of which the airport is located. Yellow, light blue, bright green, orange, purple and etc. will one day look boring and old. Grey, beige and navy will never cease to be acceptable. And Red will always be welcomed in China.

as with the blue signs, they are supposed to be functional over hip. People never complain about how bad road signs look on the streets. These are the same thing.

So realize that whoever designed this build are probably times more informed and intelligent in this area than any of us here. And do remember that this building is designed to be acceptable over a long period of time, it is not designed to look cool and fashionable. Now stop being so critical and appercaite this building for what it is.
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower

Last edited by UD2; February 11th, 2008 at 11:22 PM.
UD2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 11:55 PM   #1055
Puntagorda

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Now stop being so critical and appercaite this building for what it is.
If we all stopped being critical, this forum would be VERY boring!!
Puntagorda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 12:34 AM   #1056
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by UD2 View Post
So realize that whoever designed this build are probably times more informed and intelligent in this area than any of us here.
Quote:
If we all stopped being critical, this forum would be VERY boring!!
Both are excellent points!
Old February 12th, 2008, 06:34 AM   #1057
big-dog

A panorama pic taken Nov 3 2004 when the construction started. Time goes fast (beijingupdates.com)

Old February 12th, 2008, 08:31 PM   #1058
vvill

Likes (Received): 4

UD2,

i think the criticisms are more than just the colours! i think the major problem is not to do with the main architect (foster and partners) but those who actually fit out the shops and lounges inside the airport!

say in these pictures:

the red counter simply looks odd - again its not so much about the colours but the actual design of the counters. the whole airport's pretty sleek and modern and the round edges simply don't go with the rest and are making them look outta place. u can argue its for safety reasons but there're so many other ways to design them.

and this' simply BAD fit-out. look at the shop-fronts, the door-handles, the doors and the yellowish marble band separating the shops! u'd find that in a late 90s shopping mall but maybe not a supposedly ultra-modern airport like this!

i mean i do think it's a great airport and im just being picky here! but attention to details is always the key to great designs and im sure those guys in foster and partners are actually a bit irritated as well by how they're actually fitting out the interior!
vvill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 11:26 PM   #1059
pflo777
BANNED

was this video already posted?

Old February 13th, 2008, 01:20 AM   #1060
zergcerebrates

Likes (Received): 62

^ Yea the shops don't look appealing. They should look at what HKIA had done. Theres no need for glass doors inside the airport its pointless because passengers have bulky luggages its not easy going in or out of the shop. All the HKIA shops have no doors but a glass roll down gate when they need to close.

Observe:

This is how they should plant stuff.
image hosted on flickr

What shops and restaurants should be like, no doors.
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by zergcerebrates; February 13th, 2008 at 01:46 AM.
zergcerebrates no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
beijing, east asian hub airport