daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 13th, 2008, 02:25 AM   #1061
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Wow, I never noticed those flaws. You're especially right about the doors. I've never had to open doors at an airport store, it's just open and if there were doors they just kept them open. Maybe they plan to keep the doors open and the glass is there to showcase items in front of the store.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2008, 05:59 AM   #1062
Shezan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 593

impressive!!!

really gorgeous interiors design!
Shezan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 06:50 AM   #1063
UD2
A very cool person

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvill View Post
UD2,

i think the criticisms are more than just the colours! i think the major problem is not to do with the main architect (foster and partners) but those who actually fit out the shops and lounges inside the airport!

say in these pictures:

the red counter simply looks odd - again its not so much about the colours but the actual design of the counters. the whole airport's pretty sleek and modern and the round edges simply don't go with the rest and are making them look outta place. u can argue its for safety reasons but there're so many other ways to design them.

and this' simply BAD fit-out. look at the shop-fronts, the door-handles, the doors and the yellowish marble band separating the shops! u'd find that in a late 90s shopping mall but maybe not a supposedly ultra-modern airport like this!

i mean i do think it's a great airport and im just being picky here! but attention to details is always the key to great designs and im sure those guys in foster and partners are actually a bit irritated as well by how they're actually fitting out the interior!
Along with everyone who posted about doors.

I don't know what country you live in, but where I live, people close their doors when they close their shop. A shop that doesn’t have doors will have retracting gate that will be close during off hours. These doors will remain open during store hours, which is why you have never opened one yourself before.

FM2258, I hope you were not very awake when you made your post.

And the post about stores shouldn't have doors. The next time you open a store without doors, please let me know where it is.

I apologize guys, but the ignorance here irritates me.

With the marble dividing columns. Yes, you can find them in a 1990s mall, but you can also find the in a 1980s office building, or a 1970s one, or 1960s, heck you can find marble columns in buildings that goes back 100 years.

See what I mean about timelessness? Frankly I'd prefer marble than the current day trend, which is either made of pure concrete, painted steel or reflective plastic/metal looking materials.
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower
UD2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 10:21 AM   #1064
vvill

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by UD2 View Post
Along with everyone who posted about doors.

I don't know what country you live in, but where I live, people close their doors when they close their shop. A shop that doesn’t have doors will have retracting gate that will be close during off hours. These doors will remain open during store hours, which is why you have never opened one yourself before.

And the post about stores shouldn't have doors. The next time you open a store without doors, please let me know where it is.

With the marble dividing columns. Yes, you can find them in a 1990s mall, but you can also find the in a 1980s office building, or a 1970s one, or 1960s, heck you can find marble columns in buildings that goes back 100 years.

See what I mean about timelessness? Frankly I'd prefer marble than the current day trend, which is either made of pure concrete, painted steel or reflective plastic/metal looking materials.
oh come on... get off it! if u look at all the new airports completed recently (or even in the past 10 years, ie. CLK/Incheon/Kansai) i dont think u can actually find standard shopping mall glass doors in any of their airport shops! u can find massive sliding doors outside airline lounges but that's about it really) and again, its not so much about the doors but the actual design of them - check the handrails and the glass frames - the simply look cheap and something that a contractor would put in in a design and build contract! again as i said there're million ways of designing shopfronts and that's definitely not something that would go with such a contemporary (and supposedly carefully designed airport) airport! u can have concealed hinges for the doors and there's no need for the aluminium frame there too!

UD2 u can argue that marble is a timeless thing but we're talking about consistency here and that's exactly the point why these things shout out at u! i understand u can argue that this comes down to taste and style but as i asid i can bet for anything that those guys at fosters havent designed those things and are pretty damn annoyed by it! i mean they have a standard book of details to refer to and that's clearly not what ud find normally in a foster-designed building!
vvill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 10:25 AM   #1065
vvill

and dont get me wrong - i love the airport and i think its a beautiful piece of work by the architect. im just disappointed by the way they have fitted out parts of it which are not complementing the architecture of the airport but actually cheapening the look of it!

if the rest is not executed and designed in such a high standard, i think i wont moan about it as much as i am right now. im sure there're worse designs out there but its a bit sad when u see these things in such a great airport!
Old February 13th, 2008, 11:58 AM   #1066
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Yrmom247, did you really have to quote EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THOSE PHOTOS that had been posted on the previous page? Are you simply trying to be annoying?
Old February 13th, 2008, 02:04 PM   #1067
Yrmom247
Parabolic

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
Yrmom247, did you really have to quote EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THOSE PHOTOS that had been posted on the previous page? Are you simply trying to be annoying?
Dude give it up. What's getting annoying is you trying to pick fights with me. AND I LIKE EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THOSE PHOTOS. That's why I quoted them all you dumbass. It actually satisfying that it annoys you so.

Last edited by Yrmom247; February 13th, 2008 at 02:20 PM.
Yrmom247 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 06:15 PM   #1068
FM 2258

Quote:

I was very awake. I do not remember seeing doors for stores at airports recently and especially not ones that I have to open. The last airport I was in was Austin(AUS) and I walked into book stores and restaurants without touching a door.

I said maybe they'll keep the doors open during business hours so it doesn't inconvenience anyone but people are also pointing out that having such a "narrow" doorway is bad for many travelers with bags.
Old February 14th, 2008, 12:52 AM   #1069
UD2
A very cool person

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
I was very awake. I do not remember seeing doors for stores at airports recently and especially not ones that I have to open. The last airport I was in was Austin(AUS) and I walked into book stores and restaurants without touching a door.

I said maybe they'll keep the doors open during business hours so it doesn't inconvenience anyone but people are also pointing out that having such a "narrow" doorway is bad for many travelers with bags.
unfortunately these shops look like they are placed either in the basement or ground sections with another level right above it. So there is no room for roll ups or fold-ins. And a smaller door may be harder to get in and out of, but larger doors will occupy much more space when they're opened.

Back to the concrete columns, I'm sure they were designed by the original designer. If you look closely into the steel matt above the marble, you will see the hint of the concrete support column that is behind the marble exterior. Which means those columns are there not because somebody wantted them there, but because they have to be there to support the upper levels.

And no, I don't believe the building and interior design of T3 have any external content beyond that original proposal. Although materials used in the building interior may be specified by the authorities. China loves shiny marble flooring, no matter how slippery they get.

Which brings me to this, out of all the criticisms, nobody noticed how diasterous that marble flooring well become when wet?

and vvill, i guess it's a matter of taste but the doors look fine to me. Although I'd prefer the heavy ones that Realph Lauren or Abercrombie use, these ones are pretty modern. But that's just my opinion.
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower

Last edited by UD2; February 14th, 2008 at 01:00 AM.
Old February 14th, 2008, 02:46 AM   #1070
zergcerebrates

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:

I've already provided pics saying HKIA has no doors, and I have never even touched a door in HKIA, they simply use rollup glasslike gates. Why would you need doors inside an airport? Its in the way of everything even if its open! Doors should not be visible inside airport shops at all it lacks the elegance.
zergcerebrates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 03:10 AM   #1071
FM 2258

Quote:
Originally Posted by zergcerebrates View Post
I've already provided pics saying HKIA has no doors, and I have never even touched a door in HKIA, they simply use rollup glasslike gates. Why would you need doors inside an airport? Its in the way of everything even if its open! Doors should not be visible inside airport shops at all it lacks the elegance.
I saw that post. I was just saying even in Austin's "little" airport there are no doors on the stores.
Old February 14th, 2008, 08:04 AM   #1072
UD2
A very cool person

Quote:
Originally Posted by zergcerebrates View Post
contradicting to what you may say, stores in airports are not 24/7 and some of them do close.

Last edited by UD2; February 14th, 2008 at 10:45 AM.
Old February 14th, 2008, 08:07 AM   #1073
UD2
A very cool person

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
I saw that post. I was just saying even in Austin's "little" airport there are no doors on the stores.
if you take a closer look, you will probably see a enclosed roll up/fold in gate. Upon examination, and you still do see anything to block entrance to the store, I will stand corrected.

Last edited by UD2; February 14th, 2008 at 10:44 AM.
Old February 14th, 2008, 11:11 AM   #1074
vvill

UD2,

this discussion's going nowhere...
i dont think anyone here actually meant that there isn't any form of screens/doors so that the shop can be shut when the airport's closed. both FM 2258 and zergcerebrates are just saying that rather than those conventional doors which u find in the shopping malls, most airports nowadays use fold-in or roll-up screens so that customers can move in and out easily with their luggages. Aesthetically, it's more appealing as well.
Old February 14th, 2008, 11:14 AM   #1075
vvill

Quote:
unfortunately these shops look like they are placed either in the basement or ground sections with another level right above it. So there is no room for roll ups or fold-ins. And a smaller door may be harder to get in and out of, but larger doors will occupy much more space when they're opened.

Back to the concrete columns, I'm sure they were designed by the original designer. If you look closely into the steel matt above the marble, you will see the hint of the concrete support column that is behind the marble exterior. Which means those columns are there not because somebody wantted them there, but because they have to be there to support the upper levels.

And no, I don't believe the building and interior design of T3 have any external content beyond that original proposal. Although materials used in the building interior may be specified by the authorities. China loves shiny marble flooring, no matter how slippery they get.

Which brings me to this, out of all the criticisms, nobody noticed how diasterous that marble flooring well become when wet?

and vvill, i guess it's a matter of taste but the doors look fine to me. Although I'd prefer the heavy ones that Realph Lauren or Abercrombie use, these ones are pretty modern. But that's just my opinion.
think id give up commenting on this if u actually think those heavy wooden doors of ralph lauren or abercrombie will fit in in this airport.

and btw, it's granite not marble they're using for the floors.
Old February 14th, 2008, 11:32 AM   #1076
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

The airport is opening at the end of this month. Let's see if there'll be any inconvenience with the shop doors along with other areas.
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 01:09 PM   #1077
zergcerebrates

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
UD2,

i dont think anyone here actually meant that there isn't any form of screens/doors so that the shop can be shut when the airport's closed. both FM 2258 and zergcerebrates are just saying that rather than those conventional doors which u find in the shopping malls, most airports nowadays use fold-in or roll-up screens so that customers can move in and out easily with their luggages. Aesthetically, it's more appealing as well.
Ah finally somebody gets it, thats exactly what im saying.
zergcerebrates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 02:59 AM   #1078
UD2
A very cool person

Quote:
UD2,

Please refer to my pervious post. Again, if you look closely, the area around the store front do not have enough space for fold in or roll ups. The only option for fold-ins is to do it like ELLE, which gave up their window display to make space for fold in doors. The space directly above the store front are reserved for venting (you can see a vent behind the metal matt), and the columns under the marble covering are concret support for uppper levels. So unless you block up half the store front to store the fold in, there are no other places to put your door.

again, these guys arn't stupid guys, whatever you think you can see from the picture they can see it too. But what you haven't considered i the fact that these measures may have been taken for a reason. And non of you know how well it does, or doesn't work. So why don't you hold your criticisms until you have already used the airport.

Last edited by UD2; February 15th, 2008 at 03:05 AM.
Old February 15th, 2008, 03:00 AM   #1079
UD2
A very cool person

Quote:
think id give up commenting on this if u actually think those heavy wooden doors of ralph lauren or abercrombie will fit in in this airport.

and btw, it's granite not marble they're using for the floors.
I was commenting on the type of doors I like. Not the type of doors approporiate for this airport.
Old February 15th, 2008, 03:16 AM   #1080
XNeo

Likes (Received): 233

a great airport.
XNeo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
beijing, east asian hub airport