daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 6th, 2005, 08:04 PM   #101
dave_chanh

Likes (Received): 0

More photos of the new BKK airport

A roof over a roof.

The giant rectangular roof

Plase note that all the above photos were taken during construction. Now the airport is almost 100% complete.
dave_chanh no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 6th, 2005, 09:30 PM   #102
ChinaboyUSA
Geili

Likes (Received): 8

More Beijing Capital T3 Updates please!
Old November 7th, 2005, 12:35 AM   #103
ailiton
Toffy

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gakei
I don't think HK's terminal expansion is "under the same roof" ...

We aren't talking about the new terminal, we are talking about the expansion of the old terminal.
ailiton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2005, 12:36 AM   #104
ailiton
Toffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_chanh
The same materials?? Ok.. let me put it this way, if they’re going to build the 2nd terminal for BKK airport, the exact copy of the design and materials, will it be still counted as a single terminal building??
At the beginning, they were planning to build a twin terminal buildings at both northern and southern end of the airport property, the construction of the 2nd terminal would start right after the completion of the 1st terminal, but recently the government decided that it would be best to start a new bid for the new construction, and this might result in changing of the previously proposed design.
If you look carefully, at a close-up photo of the BKK airport, one can see that the tube-like concourse and the main concourse are actually the same building! The tube-like concourse is also a roof in its own design. That giant rectangular roof above is just an additional structure, that the designer decided to add it to the design for extra heat protection. A part of the rectangular roof also covers parts of the tube-like concourse as well, but the tube-like concourse stretches much further beyond.
As the desiner wanted to make a distinctive separation between the main terminal building and the gate concourse, for better and convenient use, therefor the design is different, it does its job as a marking point. As for an artistic point of view, it would be so boring to see the whole building is consisted of the same design pattern and materials throught out all the areas!
Someone here in the forum has posted the photos of HKIA’s expansion, it doesn’t look to me like it’s the same building! I’d say it’s the same terminal complex maybe.
Well.. I am sorry if some of the information I have mentioned earlier in this thread might be out of date, but that doesn’t mean that my comprehension is low nor I didn’t know a thing about it. So, others here in the forum could correct me, if I’m wrong. That’s how it goes.
So, if you thought that you have a more updated info, then you can enlight me with some of your information. You’re welcome to do so, but since when I ever made you think that it’s ok to swear at me or anyone else?? So, please be more civilised and open minded. I am not even your friend, so do not get too personal with me.
Please keep your ‘real nice’ attitudes for some of your friends perhaps, and take your ‘Is your comprehension that low??’ back with you, because I don’t need it. Thank you, and besides I think this question suits you pretty well.
Oh.. one more thing you forgot to take back with you, ‘this is where your pride blinds you’.... familiar with that, huh?? Well.. I’d change it from ‘pride’ to ‘jealousy’! THIS IS WHERE YOUR JEALOUSY BLINDS YOU!!

It is the expansion of the old terminal. HK is still bigger than BKK.
Old November 7th, 2005, 05:12 AM   #105
ChinaboyUSA
Geili

It is terrible that Beijing T3 thread become some competition between BKK and HKG,

more Beijing Capital T3 Updates please!
Old November 7th, 2005, 05:46 AM   #106
ChinaboyUSA
Geili

UP
Old November 7th, 2005, 05:58 PM   #107
gakei
GAKEI.com | EHK

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ailiton
We aren't talking about the new terminal, we are talking about the expansion of the old terminal.
Is there / Will there be any expansion of the old terminal for HKG "under the same roof" ?
gakei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2005, 06:38 PM   #108
ailiton
Toffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gakei
Is there / Will there be any expansion of the old terminal for HKG "under the same roof" ?
Yes. Under the same roof.

The terminal will be expanding towards the north and south.
Old November 7th, 2005, 07:24 PM   #109
gakei
GAKEI.com | EHK

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:

The plan you mentioned is in the Airport Master Plan 2020 issued in Oct 2001. In this master plan, the SkyCity should be a pure commercial development without terminal facility.

However, while the current Terminal 2 (part of SkyCity) plan has finalized, and the construction work has begun (and will be completed soon), the plan to expand the existing terminal towards the north and south seemed to be abandoned or not considered in the near future.

See my photo of the SkyCity model dated 28 Apr 2004. Which reflects the latest plan about the Airport future development in the area.

I hope the existing terminal is expanded instead of developing a Terminal 2 too, not because it is "under the same roof" and keep the so called "World Record", but it can maintain the current simple passenger departures/arrivals flows. However I'm afraid it may not be the case. Therefore, I will be happy if my information here is incorrect actually.
gakei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2005, 07:36 PM   #110
ailiton
Toffy

Quote:

Oh no no no. What am I talking about?

THe size (570,000sq/m) is the current size of the old terminal after the previous expansion.
Old November 7th, 2005, 07:37 PM   #111
dave_chanh

Well.. Ailiton, I hate to interupt you(because your doggy photo is so cute! ), anyway, that piece of information from Gakei is more or less of what I have heard before regarding HKIA's expansion, besides, some of the photos(for the Skycity) posted by Gakei ealier clearly shows that the expansion is pure commercial area with also a very large mall(that's what I have heard too), there is no gate for aircraft and not even an access to the runway.
Old November 7th, 2005, 08:43 PM   #112
ailiton
Toffy

Quote:
Well.. Ailiton, I hate to interupt you(because your doggy photo is so cute! ), anyway, that piece of information from Gakei is more or less of what I have heard before regarding HKIA's expansion, besides, some of the photos(for the Skycity) posted by Gakei ealier clearly shows that the expansion is pure commercial area with also a very large mall(that's what I have heard too), there is no gate for aircraft and not even an access to the runway.
Yup it is a shopping area within the old terminal but it is still part of the terminal.

Before the expansion, the size of the terminal (550,000 sq m2) also included shopping areas.
Old November 8th, 2005, 12:46 AM   #113
zergcerebrates

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Oh.. one more thing you forgot to take back with you, ‘this is where your pride blinds you’.... familiar with that, huh?? Well.. I’d change it from ‘pride’ to ‘jealousy’! THIS IS WHERE YOUR JEALOUSY BLINDS YOU!!
Whats there to be Jealous about? I'm not jealous at all I'm glad that another Asian country has a nice modern airport. I'm not a pride freak but I'm a Architecture freak so it doesn't matter who has the nicest or biggest airport as long its nice and big I like it. You should know I wasn't ditching BKIA I was mainly arguing in size so it has nothing to do with jealousy. Your comprehension may I say it isn't really that good. Go take a look at my past replies to all Bangkok airport threads and you'll see its all positive. Countless modern airports have popped up around the world before and after HKIA and still HKIA still holds "The best airport" in 5 consecutive years, and I have faith HKIA will continue to do so. Now, the airport to be jealous about is definitely the new Madrid Airport, its just so perfect.

We will not go into details or argue about it, but I wasn't talking about the expansion in front of the airport, that is not a "terminal" I was talking about the terminal expansion itself.

Last edited by zergcerebrates; November 8th, 2005 at 12:53 AM.
zergcerebrates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 01:24 AM   #114
ChinaboyUSA
Geili

有更多的北京首都国际机场第三候机厅的进展图片吗? 多谢!
Old November 8th, 2005, 02:01 AM   #115
zergcerebrates

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaboyUSA
More Beijing Capital T3 Updates please!
I think its still too soon for updates. I wish somebody who lives in Beijing can go into the construction site and take pics.
zergcerebrates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 08:11 AM   #116
dave_chanh

Quote:
Originally Posted by zergcerebrates
Whats there to be Jealous about? I'm not jealous at all I'm glad that another Asian country has a nice modern airport. I'm not a pride freak but I'm a Architecture freak so it doesn't matter who has the nicest or biggest airport as long its nice and big I like it. You should know I wasn't ditching BKIA I was mainly arguing in size so it has nothing to do with jealousy. Your comprehension may I say it isn't really that good. Go take a look at my past replies to all Bangkok airport threads and you'll see its all positive. Countless modern airports have popped up around the world before and after HKIA and still HKIA still holds "The best airport" in 5 consecutive years, and I have faith HKIA will continue to do so. Now, the airport to be jealous about is definitely the new Madrid Airport, its just so perfect.

We will not go into details or argue about it, but I wasn't talking about the expansion in front of the airport, that is not a "terminal" I was talking about the terminal expansion itself.
Well.. I am not a pride freak. I am not a freak of anything, but the reason I was not particularly happy about your replies, was that you started to mentioned about me, started to get something personal, which you shouldn't have done that. That's all. So I just wanted to make it clear between you and me. Of course, besides this, we all can continue as usual.
Regarding the Bejing's T3 thread, I am sorry that BKK and HKIA have gotten involved for some reasons, but I am sure this thread will get back to normal very soon.
Old November 8th, 2005, 10:27 AM   #117
Mosaic
BANGKOK

Likes (Received): 805

HKIA, I accept that it's also really awesome and massive. Which one is bigger or nicer, I don't know yet.
Mosaic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2005, 01:03 PM   #118
IsaganiZenze
...geologist...

bump

Last edited by IsaganiZenze; November 14th, 2005 at 12:55 PM.
IsaganiZenze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2005, 02:40 PM   #119
vincent

Likes (Received): 7

ailiton, do you know the exact sq ft increase for the SkyMart shopping mall expansion of HKIA back in 2003/4? i think that would probably add another 10000 sq meter in the figure.
vincent no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2005, 10:44 PM   #120
IsaganiZenze
...geologist...

bump

Last edited by IsaganiZenze; November 14th, 2005 at 12:55 PM.
IsaganiZenze no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
beijing, east asian hub airport