daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 8th, 2009, 05:15 PM   #1461
ir desi

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek901 View Post
What would be the final capacity of this airport. From previous pages I came to know that it is 76 million. Are there any plans to increase this capacity or the new airport is going to absorb all of the new capacity ?

Another question. T3 has 3 separate parts. Then why it is considered as a single building ?

Thanks
Hi Abhishek,

Because of the point you raise, comparing terminal sizes between different airports is extremely problematic, because when is a section of airport considered a terminal or a concourse/pier etc? Beijing T3 could have as easily been called T3-T5. It's far more useful, in terms of true handling capacity, to consider the area of all the passenger moving space an airport has. In that system, you'd compare Beijing T1-T3 to Dubai T1-T3 to Boston TA-TE. This is the only way to see the actual size of the airport.

The terminal comparison is far more useful when you want to compare how quickly an airport expanded / how big a terminal an airport could build at one time.

Generally speaking, a terminal is defined by shared landside facilities. Although Beijing T3 was built as 3 buildings, two of the buildings are dependent on the other for landside facilities like check-in, baggage reclaim, etc.

To answer your original question simply, all 3 concourses are considered one terminal because they were built at the same time and are dependent on each other for facilities.
ir desi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 8th, 2009, 11:48 PM   #1462
Abhishek901

Likes (Received): 1204

Quote:
Originally Posted by ir desi View Post
To answer your original question simply, all 3 concourses are considered one terminal because they were built at the same time and are dependent on each other for facilities.
Actually I asked that question coz there was a lot of turbulence earlier on this thread regarding which terminal is bigger - Bangkok's or Hong Kong's and then somebody said, Bangkok's is not under one roof, so it cannot be considered as a single building. It was being said that Beijing T3 was the world's largest "building" when it was opened, even though it has 3 different sections. I don't know what measure is being applied to consider it as a single building. As you said that operationally it is one building as the operations are inter-dependent, but physically ?? That's why I thought is there something which I don't know.

BTW, I would say that I don't expect such a nice terminal anywhere in the world for at least next 20 years. Planned capacity of Delhi's airport is more than that of PEK and the modernization of DEL started after PEK but still Delhi's T3 looks too plain from outside. It should have got some inspiration from Beijing.

Last edited by Abhishek901; November 9th, 2009 at 08:23 AM.
Abhishek901 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 12:42 AM   #1463
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 382

They are connected from underground.
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 09:50 AM   #1464
koresh

Likes (Received): 1368

Beijing Terminal 3

copyright: Koresh

koresh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 12:20 PM   #1465
werico

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zergcerebrates View Post
Dam he is right i just did some research. Dubai took the title of the world's largest airport in October 2008. Oh well China still has a chance to reclaim that title since Beijing will built another airport so will Shanghai for its 3rd terminal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beijing...ort#Terminal_3
yeah, according to the latest planning of Pudong Airport of Shanghai, they'll build a T4 of 1.5 million sqm in the future, surpassing BJ T3's 0.98 million sqm...

wish the planning will come true!
werico no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 11:28 PM   #1466
ir desi

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Actually I asked that question coz there was a lot of turbulence earlier on this thread regarding which terminal is bigger - Bangkok's or Hong Kong's and then somebody said, Bangkok's is not under one roof, so it cannot be considered as a single building. It was being said that Beijing T3 was the world's largest "building" when it was opened, even though it has 3 different sections. I don't know what measure is being applied to consider it as a single building. As you said that operationally it is one building as the operations are inter-dependent, but physically ?? That's why I thought is there something which I don't know.
I see what you mean. As you said, we don't know which measure is being used where. Everyone wants to be considered the biggest, so everyone takes the metric most suitable for them. Building/terminal/concourse/airport + cubic area/floor area + in malls total space/retail space only it goes on and on. I think you are right; physically, these should be considered three separate buildings.

Quote:
BTW, I would say that I don't expect such a nice terminal anywhere in the world for at least next 20 years. Planned capacity of Delhi's airport is more than that of PEK and the modernization of DEL started after PEK but still Delhi's T3 looks too plain from outside. It should have got some inspiration from Beijing.
I agree completely.
ir desi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 08:47 AM   #1467
Dubaiiscool:)

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Werico:yeah, according to the latest planning of Pudong Airport of Shanghai, they'll build a T4 of 1.5 million sqm in the future, surpassing BJ T3's 0.98 million sqm...

Dubai is also building the worlds Largest Airport and they are still expanding their current airport so maybe Dubai can also build the next "Worlds largest Terminal" after that...
Dubaiiscool:) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 09:40 AM   #1468
caelus

Likes (Received): 5

People seem to have a misconception that a large airport must be a well operated airport, which is not true. A best airport is not defined by how big it is, but how well it serves its purpose.
caelus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 10:23 AM   #1469
maldini

Likes (Received): 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by werico View Post
yeah, according to the latest planning of Pudong Airport of Shanghai, they'll build a T4 of 1.5 million sqm in the future, surpassing BJ T3's 0.98 million sqm...

When are they going to build T3 at Pudong? The buildings of Beijing T3 are connected by the underground shuttle train and of course the huge baggage handling system, so it is one building.
maldini no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 11:45 AM   #1470
Abhishek901

Quote:
Originally Posted by ir desi View Post
I see what you mean. As you said, we don't know which measure is being used where. Everyone wants to be considered the biggest, so everyone takes the metric most suitable for them. Building/terminal/concourse/airport + cubic area/floor area + in malls total space/retail space only it goes on and on. I think you are right; physically, these should be considered three separate buildings.
I agree with that. Metrics are molded many times to become no. 1.
Old November 10th, 2009, 11:47 AM   #1471
Abhishek901

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldini View Post
When are they going to build T3 at Pudong? The buildings of Beijing T3 are connected by the underground shuttle train and of course the huge baggage handling system, so it is one building.
I still have doubt about that. Suppose we connect two high-rises by underground passageways with walkalators, they won't become one building. Only physical connection is not enough, the physical structure should be one to consider it a single building.
Old November 10th, 2009, 06:40 PM   #1472
Severiano

Likes (Received): 756

I was absolutely floored when I saw T3 in person. Unbelieveable, I know that the terminal in Dubai is bigger, but this one is the best I have ever seen. The service is very good and the design is very convenient. Looking at the difference from T2 and T3 shows how far China has come in the last 10 years.
Severiano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 04:56 AM   #1473
zergcerebrates

Likes (Received): 62

Weird. I just saw the latest Guiness World Records book, the Hong Kong airport is still the largest as to date.
zergcerebrates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 12:45 PM   #1474
Abhishek901

Quote:
Originally Posted by zergcerebrates View Post
Weird. I just saw the latest Guiness World Records book, the Hong Kong airport is still the largest as to date.
It might have used different metrics. As I was saying that Beijing T3 are actually 3 separated building if seen from outside. They might have thought the same way. But what about Dubai then ??
Old November 12th, 2009, 04:32 AM   #1475
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 382

If one looks this construction picture carefully, will realize that 3 structures share same foundation. This underground connection cannot be seen as just simple "link" or "walkalators". It is large enough for rail and also it harbor elaborate and huge logistic structure. Moreover, these three structures are complete architectural harmony.

foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 02:49 PM   #1476
ad50939
Need vacation....

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
I still have doubt about that. Suppose we connect two high-rises by underground passageways with walkalators, they won't become one building. Only physical connection is not enough, the physical structure should be one to consider it a single building.

I tend to view that T3 may be the largest airport terminal in the world but not the largest airport terminal building structure because it is indeed made up of 3 separate buildings on separate foundations.

Airport Terminal = Collection of essential operating elements that serve departing / transiting / arriving passengers. That is to say, an airport terminal can be spread across a number of structures.

Airport Terminal Structure = Simply how many floor areas under one roof or one foundation group. It may not contain all essential operating elements for terminal operation. It can be one of the satellite concourse, etc.

Last edited by ad50939; November 12th, 2009 at 03:17 PM.
ad50939 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 03:00 PM   #1477
Abhishek901

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad50939 View Post
I tend to view that T3 may be the largest terminal in the world but not the largest airport terminal building structure because it is indeed made up of 3 separate buildings on separate foundations.
Yeah.
Old November 12th, 2009, 03:05 PM   #1478
Abhishek901

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmulder View Post
If one looks this construction picture carefully, will realize that 3 structures share same foundation. This underground connection cannot be seen as just simple "link" or "walkalators". It is large enough for rail and also it harbor elaborate and huge logistic structure. Moreover, these three structures are complete architectural harmony.

I cannot see overground construction here. Maybe higher resolution pic can show better.
Old November 12th, 2009, 04:03 PM   #1479
ad50939
Need vacation....

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:

I cannot see overground construction here. Maybe higher resolution pic can show better.
And to elaborate my point a little bit more, it is irrelevant whether the 3 pieces of T3 are linked by a subtantially large tunnel or not, or whether they bear the same generic architectural design. What should be considered is whether or not the three buildings operate as a single terminal operation.

So imagine, if Heathrow T5 eventually has 9 satellite concourses (T5A, T5B,....T5I) each with a floor area of 100,000 sq m, and then you add the floor area of the main T5 terminal building, it would surely qualify to become the largest terminal in the world.

However, I haven't considered the complication where there are two landside terminals which connects to a series of satellite airside concourses.

Last edited by ad50939; November 12th, 2009 at 04:16 PM.
ad50939 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2009, 12:51 AM   #1480
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmulder View Post
If one looks this construction picture carefully, will realize that 3 structures share same foundation. This underground connection cannot be seen as just simple "link" or "walkalators".
Travellators, my friend.

Tags
beijing, east asian hub airport