daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 14th, 2012, 11:16 PM   #1821
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11258

Quote:
Originally Posted by VECTROTALENZIS
They are building the airport south of Beijing to increase to flow to southern Beijing. Southern Beijing iless developed than the northern parts. The want to increase development in southern Beijing.
Really makes sense. I'd like to see the airport grow.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2012, 06:49 AM   #1822
everywhere
The Explorer

Likes (Received): 805

Quote:
Originally Posted by VECTROTALENZIS View Post
They are building the airport south of Beijing to increase to flow to southern Beijing. Southern Beijing iless developed than the northern parts. The want to increase development in southern Beijing.
Has the Capital Airport(from T1 to T3) reached its limits in terms of passenger traffic and cargo volume?
Old October 15th, 2012, 05:59 PM   #1823
VECTROTALENZIS
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Likes (Received): 4436

The current airport, Beijing Capital International Airport, will be reaching its design capacity within a few years, making the need for a new airport imminent.
VECTROTALENZIS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 06:05 PM   #1824
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VECTROTALENZIS

The current airport, Beijing Capital International Airport, will be reaching its design capacity within a few years, making the need for a new airport imminent.
What's the current capacity -- and actual passenger count -- for PEK? And how close is it to becoming fully built out?

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
Old October 15th, 2012, 09:30 PM   #1825
bubbalo

Likes (Received): 925

for last 12 months (2011-10/2012-09) Beijing Airport reported 81 257 000 passengers with current growth of 4,42% in 2012 (last 9 months)
some sources says the capacity is 82 million as the graph below (it shows major exapnsion in PEK). So to filfull the capacity its only 800 000 passengers left, which will definately happen in 2012 (with a current growth in 2012 4,42% total amout of passengers will be 82 150 000 passengers)
some sources as wikipedia says the capacity is 90 million p/year, but personally i think its a mistake
[IMG]http://i50.************/p1xfn.png[/IMG]

edit: another source saying 82 million http://en.carnoc.com/cache/news/19/19419.html

Last edited by bubbalo; October 15th, 2012 at 09:50 PM.
bubbalo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 10:01 PM   #1826
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Whoa, wait a minute. 81,257,000 passengers in nine months?! :o Now that seems to be a good reason to increase capacity even more with a new airport.

Old October 15th, 2012, 10:19 PM   #1827
bubbalo

nope, that number is for last 12 consecutive months, for 9 months of 2012 its 61 758 000. average growth of those 9 months is 4,42%. is it clear now?

edit: you can see it here
[IMG]http://i47.************/2zf08wh.png[/IMG]

Last edited by bubbalo; October 15th, 2012 at 10:29 PM.
Old October 15th, 2012, 10:33 PM   #1828
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Oh ok. I mixed up some figures. But 81.75 million for 12 consecutive months total? That's still an impressive figure. The graph right before the gray graph seems to be a bit confusing to read, that's why.

Old October 15th, 2012, 10:47 PM   #1829
bubbalo

thats an old graph just to ilustrate the capacity the second one is mine.
it is impressive, just imagine if there is enough capacity at PEK, in that case it wud surpass ATL in maybe 15 to 20 months?
Old October 15th, 2012, 11:12 PM   #1830
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

That's good. I then wonder: how can PEK sustain such high passenger numbers (in comparison with Tokyo's Haneda), and how can airports in Southeast Asia achieve such impressive counts? I mean, I understand that China has indeed a fast-growing aviation industry, but I still am surprised at the overall figures. For a first-time reader, they might say the numbers are "exaggerated"; for me, though, that sounds impressive.

Old October 16th, 2012, 12:36 AM   #1831
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
That's good. I then wonder: how can PEK sustain such high passenger numbers (in comparison with Tokyo's Haneda), and how can airports in Southeast Asia achieve such impressive counts? I mean, I understand that China has indeed a fast-growing aviation industry, but I still am surprised at the overall figures. For a first-time reader, they might say the numbers are "exaggerated"; for me, though, that sounds impressive.
Mostly because the economy, although slowing, is still strong compare to the world economy. More and more Chinese are traveling aboard each year and at higher frequency. The HSR also made it easier for people in surround cities to travel to Beijing to take advantage of its abundant international flights.

I think given PEK's size the passenger capacity could be made larger, but considering the number of delayed flights the actual passenger count inside the terminal at one time is always pretty high.
Old October 17th, 2012, 08:24 PM   #1832
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18239

Source : http://pic.feeyo.com/posts/572/5723496.html

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 08:27 PM   #1833
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
Mostly because the economy, although slowing, is still strong compare to the world economy. More and more Chinese are traveling aboard each year and at higher frequency. The HSR also made it easier for people in surround cities to travel to Beijing to take advantage of its abundant international flights.

I think given PEK's size the passenger capacity could be made larger, but considering the number of delayed flights the actual passenger count inside the terminal at one time is always pretty high.
Oh really? I wonder how many delayed flights are there in PEK in an average day because when I check airport status in an app, I only see "Scheduled", not "Delayed".

Old October 18th, 2012, 12:14 AM   #1834
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Oh really? I wonder how many delayed flights are there in PEK in an average day because when I check airport status in an app, I only see "Scheduled", not "Delayed".
I don't have any figures but from this news report in 2011 PEK's on time rate is 73% so over a quarter of flights are delayed or cancelled. I think realistically the on time rate is even lower. I flew there a number of times in the past ten years and the flight have never taken off on time.
Old October 18th, 2012, 12:26 AM   #1835
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
I don't have any figures but from this news report in 2011 PEK's on time rate is 73% so over a quarter of flights are delayed or cancelled. I think realistically the on time rate is even lower. I flew there a number of times in the past ten years and the flight have never taken off on time.
Oh my. Really? Is the airport's on-time rating worse than many US airports? Hmmm looks like it is a victim of its own success...?

Old October 18th, 2012, 05:34 AM   #1836
hkskyline
Hong Kong

China has severe restrictions over its airspace since much of it is designated for military use. It can be a clear day but flights still get severely delayed. This problem is persistent across all major Chinese airports and ripple through around the region since short and medium-haul flights from offshore may not even be allowed to take off if a certain airspace en-route is restricted.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old October 18th, 2012, 06:23 AM   #1837
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline
China has severe restrictions over its airspace since much of it is designated for military use. It can be a clear day but flights still get severely delayed. This problem is persistent across all major Chinese airports and ripple through around the region since short and medium-haul flights from offshore may not even be allowed to take off if a certain airspace en-route is restricted.
Oh really? Hmmm that's definitely interesting. So how do holding patterns work in PEK facing that restriction in military airspace?

Old October 18th, 2012, 10:49 AM   #1838
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Oh really? Hmmm that's definitely interesting. So how do holding patterns work in PEK facing that restriction in military airspace?
Oftentimes departing flights are grounded at the originating airport until they get a slot to use the airspace.

Old October 18th, 2012, 01:37 PM   #1839
VECTROTALENZIS
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Likes (Received): 4436

Are there any plans to free up the airspace a bit?
VECTROTALENZIS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 02:59 PM   #1840
maldini

Likes (Received): 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
If they open more air space, they can allow more flow of planes and passengers. If this is the case, that means the capacity of existing airports around China can be a bit higher.

Right now they are designing airports based on restricted military air space, because many passengers are just waiting in the airport, when there is air space still available but claimed by the military.
maldini no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
beijing, east asian hub airport