search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > East Midlands Forum

East Midlands Forum For Nottingham, Derby, Lincoln, Leicester, Corby, Northampton, and Milton Keynes.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old August 2nd, 2007, 10:59 AM   #2941
braunstone geezer

Likes (Received): 2

i had a small part to play in the vandalism in that building, dont blame me tho, blame all the cocktails i had in hellsinkis and my mates

Last edited by braunstone geezer; August 2nd, 2007 at 11:00 AM. Reason: it was well scary inside, but good that someone wants to do something with it
braunstone geezer no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old August 2nd, 2007, 08:46 PM   #2942
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

Likes (Received): 166

Interesting articles from the Mercury today

Pedestrianisation of PAC area including a new square!

Quote:
PUTTING THEIR ARTS INTO QUARTER

BY JENNY CORNISH
CHIEF POLITICAL REPORTER

10:30 - 02 August 2007

Work is under way to transform the streets around Leicester's new Performing Arts Centre to create the city's cultural quarter.

The area needs smartening up in time for the opening of the theatre which will take place in summer 2008.

Streets and pavements are to be re-done, trees will be planted and new lighting installed along with new seating areas.

The work in Halford Street includes pedestrianising the area between Charles Street and Yeoman Street.

A public square will also be created outside the Performing Arts Centre and Athena.

Sangita Karelia, cultural quarter programme manager for the city council, said: "There will be trees planted and seating in there. There will be more of an artistic feel.

"We've also commissioned artists to do bespoke pieces of public art.

"There will be a ribbon thread running though the streets directing people through the quarter.

"We're using the pink and grey granite from the city centre works but the lighting will be different.

"We want to really set this area out with its own cultural identity. There will be a Performing Arts Square - we want to use it as an open space for people to use.

"If there are cultural festivals and events, that space can be used as a showcase."

The council is hoping the St George's area will become one of the city's most important destinations for visitors.

The aim is to integrate the area into the rest of the city and give it a strong character of its own.

At its heart will be the Performing Arts Centre, the £59 million theatre designed by award-winning architect Rafael Vinoly.

The centre will be handed over to Leicester Theatre Trust next spring and the first production is due to take place in autumn 2008.

The large auditorium will seat 750 people, while a 350-seat theatre will also provide a versatile smaller space.

Also included in the cultural quarter will be a digital media centre, which aims to help replace the Phoenix Arts.

The complex will be built on land off Midland Street and Nichols Street, and will include three screens, which will have 224 seats, 126 seats and 36 seats respectively.

There will also be a "digital experimentation space", called the Cube, plus a cafe and bar.

The first part of the cultural quarter to materialise was the Leicester Creative Business Depot, which opened in Rutland Street in 2004 as the home of the city's creative businesses.
Leicester Mercury website, 2nd August, 2007

and...

Quote:
0:30 - 02 August 2007

Milan Mandaric has revealed his vision to turn Leicester City into "a powerful club" and make the Walkers Stadium a 45,000-seat venue.

The City owner and chairman outlined his long-term plans to increase the ground's capacity by as many as 12,500 seats from its present 32,500.

And he believes there is the support from the community to help to make it happen.

He said: "Nothing would make me happier or more excited than to stabilise us for a couple of years in the Premier Division and approach increasing the stadium.

"I do believe the Leicestershire community would support that. It's success on the field and off the field. That would be something that would make me happy. The priority is to put a team together. We have to really try to make that effort.

"We have to look at the possibility it won't be long before we look at the stadium."

Mandaric first hinted at his plans during his question-and-answer session with supporters at the Walkers Stadium this week.

Mandaric told the audience of around 2,000 fans: "We will do everything we can to get out of this division. I am not enjoying it much. We want to get to the Premier Division.

"I have a huge desire to bring us to 45,000 seats and one day be a powerful club."

Mandaric, meanwhile, admitted he is looking forward to meeting some old friends when Portsmouth visit for a pre-season friendly on Saturday (3.0).

He was chairman at Fratton Park for eight years until he left last September, during which time Pompey were promoted to the Premiership.

Now his old club are set to provide City with their sternest test of the pre-season.

Mandaric said: "It will be a hard game, a testing game for us.

"We will be able to see where we are and where we are short."

He added: "I am looking forward to it, to see the supporters, (manager) Harry Redknapp, and some of the players that played for me for many years.

"It's a club I have tremendous regard for. I left it in good shape and I am really looking forward to seeing them."
Leicester Mercury, 2nd August, 2007

and...

Quote:
MORE TRAFFIC DISRUPTION HEADING FOR CITY CENTRE

10:30 - 01 August 2007

Motorists could be facing more traffic headaches from next week when a major city route is forced to close.

Vaughan Way will shut for 13 hours a day, except on Sundays, for nine weeks to allow for work on a multi-million pound development.

The news comes just two weeks into essential roadworks that have lead to rush-hour gridlock on Leicester's ring road.

Vaughan Way will have single-lane closures in both directions between Highcross Street and the junction of St Margaret's Way from 7pm to 6am.

The closures will be from Monday, August 6 to Saturday, August 25 and Tuesday August 28 until Saturday October 6.

Also from this Sunday and then each Sunday for the following six weeks, the section of road will be fully closed from midnight until 6am on Monday.

They are to allow for glazing work on the bridge link between the new 2,000-space multi-storey car park and the John Lewis building.

The work forms part of the £350million Highcross Leicester development.

However developer Hammerson's and Leicester City Council defended the decision.

Richard Brown, Hammerson's senior development executive, said although they regretted the closure it would only be happening at dates and times of low-volume traffic. A spokeswoman for the city council said: "Obviously we appreciate that there will be an element of disruption for drivers but we will try to keep that to a minimum."

Diversions in both directions on Highcross Street, Northgates, Sanvey Gate and St Margaret's Way.

Access to the Shires Shopping Centre via St Nicholas Circle will remain unaffected by the full and single lane closures.
Leicester Mercury website, 1st August, 2007

Come on Leicester lurkers join the forum today!
Leicity82 no está en línea  
Old August 3rd, 2007, 12:15 AM   #2943
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

Likes (Received): 166

I think perhaps some of the waterside projects should get their own thread to, as Lears suggested in another thread. We could keep the general one for issues concerning the waterside in Leicester as a whole? What does everyone think?

Come on Leicester lurkers join the forum today!
Leicity82 no está en línea  
Old August 3rd, 2007, 04:09 PM   #2944
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 11886

Continued here - http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=506715

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: