daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 23rd, 2009, 05:21 AM   #281
antovador
space wanderer

Likes (Received): 240

Great I think breaktrough for August or September as later.

Highcliff liked this post
antovador no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2009, 09:54 PM   #282
33Hz

Likes (Received): 47

This project is featured in a programme is on British TV on Tuesday at 8pm (9pm CET).

http://www.mydigiguide.com/dgx/wbl.d...h=49&PID=21539

Quote:
Big, Bigger, Biggest (Documentary)
Time - 20:00 - 21:00 (1 hour long)
When - Tuesday 28th July on five

New series of the programme that examines the history behind huge feats of engineering. This instalment reveals how six technological breakthroughs have enabled the construction of the Gotthard Base Tunnel through the Alps.
Mainland Europeans may be able to pick this up on satellite.

33Hz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2009, 05:51 PM   #283
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

they hit 90%

yaay

Quote:
As of August 1, 2009, of the total of 151.84 km of tunnels, galleries and passages of the Gotthard Base Tunnel, 136.6 km, or 90 %, had been excavated. The total amount driven in July 2009 was 1786 m.

gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 01:34 AM   #284
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

Quote:
Status of Work on the Gotthard and Ceneri

As of September 1, 2009, of the total of 151.84 km of tunnels, galleries and passages of the Gotthard Base Tunnel, 137.3 km, or 90.4 %, had been excavated. The total amount driven in August 2009 was 700 m.

Work on the Ceneri Base Tunnel is proceeding at full speed. On the north portal at Camorino/Vigana, as well as on the south portal at Lugano/Vezia, preparation work is in progress. At Sigirino, following breakthrough of the window adit, final work in the logistics cavern is in progress.
Two locomotives tow outside the tunnel part of the TBM Erstfeld East.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia

Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 03:12 PM   #285
metsfan
Photographer

Likes (Received): 42

Neat!

- A

metsfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 03:51 PM   #286
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8965

Thanks for the update!

Nice to see that Saint Barbara has even an own ladder to leave her podium for a break.

The Swiss consider everything!
What Is Love?

Last edited by Deadeye Reloaded; September 4th, 2009 at 12:00 AM.
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 04:20 PM   #287
FlyFish

Likes (Received): 83

I went on google earth and searched the areas where this is happening. When you look at it from taht perspective it is even more impressive a project.

FlyFish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 09:51 PM   #288
Coccodrillo

Quote:
Breakthrough in the west tunnel between Erstfeld and Amsteg

On September 16, 2009, shortly before 4 pm, in the west tunnel of the Gotthard Base Tunnel, Tunnel Boring Machine Gabi 2 broke through the last metres of rock between Erstfeld and Amsteg. Breakthrough in the east tunnel already took place on June 16, 2009.

Breakthrough of the tunnel was achieved with very great accuracy. By covering a distance of 7.2 kilometres in only 18 months, the tunnel boring machine arrived in Amsteg half a year earlier than planned. Breakthrough in the east tunnel was also attained by the tunnel constructors six months ahead of schedule in June 2009.

AlpTransit Gotthard Ltd is very satisfied with the achievements on the construction of the Gotthard Base Tunnel, confirmed CEO Renzo Simoni. With the breakthrough in the west tunnel, excavation work for the base tunnel on the north side of the Gotthard is now complete. Of the 151.8 km of the tunnel system under the Gotthard, a total of around 137 km, or almost 91 percent, has now been excavated. The final breakthrough between Sedrun and Faido is expected to take place at the end of 2010 or beginning of 2011.
http://www.alptransit.ch/en/news/art...ld-und-amsteg/

=====================================

One of the two planend elongations of the Ceneri Base Tunnel has been choosen at a preliminary stage. This tunnel will thus have many entrances to the south: if all of them will be built, there will be as many as six, exluding intermediate access tunnels (about 8).

This is the branch to Luino and Laveno (map), it wil be single track with passing loops ( ) and about 22 km long (in tunnel to Luino) plus the Ceneri Basis (about 15 km). The other branch will be between 22 and 26 km long, plus the Ceneri Basis, as I have presented before in this thread. The other exits diverge under the mountain with much shorter tunnels.

Blue = bored by TBM, green = bored by drill&blast, red = passing loop either inside the tunnel or outside, all is subjected to changes. Note that Ceneri Basis, Ceresio and Monte Bedea would in fact be the same tunnel. Montegrino, Monte La Teggia and Mombello are separate tunnels.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia

Old September 17th, 2009, 05:51 AM   #289
hans280

Likes (Received): 173

Cocco, how "official" is this plan, do you know? I've seen at least five alternative plans for a border crossing between Ticino and Lombardia - at various stages of planning. What you posted looks like the line tracing that was previously known as the "Varese Variant". Do we know if this plan has been officially selected? If so, do we know if there's a commitment to actually build it?

hans280 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2009, 09:52 AM   #290
Coccodrillo

All of these plans are official. The line to Chiasso is studied by Swiss railways, the one to Luino/Laveno/Sangiano by Italy.

The variant of the Chiasso line has not been chosen, nor the one for Luino, but the preliminary project recommended the Ceneri Basis-Ponte Tresa-Bosco Valtravaglia option.

http://forumfiles.milanotrasporti.or...ransit_Sud.jpg

The idea is to build both, one line to Luino/Laveno and one to Chiasso, plus other lines north of Milan. When and if they will be built is not known yet (maybe between 2020 and 2030), but in my opinon, Luino/Laveno line is more likely to be built as it is cheaper (single track, no diffucult bridges/tunnels under the lake) and avoids Milano.

The Mendrisio-Arcisate-Varese line is already under construction, but it is planned mainly for passenger trains. It will open probably in 2014.

(the map comes from a Schweers+Wall atlas - they are really woth their price)

Old September 18th, 2009, 05:18 AM   #291
hans280

Likes (Received): 173

Thanks for the explanations. I have to say, though, that this was not quite what I meant by "official". Yeah, OK, there are always dozens of official evaluations of alternative railway lines, but what I really meant was, is there an official commitment to actually build some of these railway connections. From your response I take it that the answer is "not yet".

I have learnt to be a bit sceptical about plans and declarations of intent coming from our Italian friends. Their political tradition seems to be one of "declarations", a few of which they make good on. The Swiss are often the extreme opposite: it can be quite difficult to persuade them to make concrete promises, but when they do then come h*** or high water those promises will be carried out - on schedule.

hans280 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 11:59 AM   #292
Luganese1980

Likes (Received): 72

5 km left---> Final breakthrough expected in november 2010.

La TBM ticinese raggiunge il Canton Grigioni

È stata raggiunta un'altra pietra miliare nella realizzazione della Galleria di base del San Gottardo: nel tubo est, la fresa meccanica (TBM) che da Faido avanza verso Sedrun ha varcato il confine cantonale tra il Ticino ed i Grigioni. La caduta del diaframma principale avverrà sul territorio grigionese nel corso dell’anno prossimo.

Alcuni giorni fa la fresa meccanica nel tubo est ha superato il confine cantonale tra il Ticino ed i Grigioni. L’attraversamento è avvenuto 2’000 metri sotto il Piz Scai (GR) e l’Alpe Scaione (TI).

Dei complessivi 57 chilometri di lunghezza della Galleria di base del San Gottardo ne devono essere scavati ancora soltanto 5. “Le due frese meccaniche avanzano di buon ritmo”, rileva Renzo Simoni, presidente della direzione di AlpTransit Gottardo SA. “La caduta del diaframma principale tra Faido e Sedrun avverrà presumibilmente nel novembre 2010”.

Sui circa 151.8 chilometri complessivi di gallerie, pozzi e cunicoli previsti sotto il San Gottardo ne sono stati scavati 137, ossia il 91% del totale. La messa in esercizio commerciale della Galleria di base del San Gottardo è prevista per la fine del 2017.

alptransit.ch

Luganese1980 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:02 AM   #293
Luganese1980

Likes (Received): 72

As of Oktober 1, 2009, of the total of 151.84 km of tunnels, galleries and passages of the Gotthard Base Tunnel, 138.6 km, or 91.3 %, had been excavated. The total amount driven in September 2009 was 1324 m.

At Camorino and Giubiasco the installation works for the new bridge over the A2 motorway and the Morobbia bridge have begun. At Vigana further test blasts have been performed to define the explosive quantities for the A2 underpass.

At the same time in the area of the portal, excavation by mechanical digger is in progress. At Sigirino excavation of the CAOP, and at Vezia blasting and excavation for the construction pit by the Villa Negroni, are continuing.

alptransit.ch

Luganese1980 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 01:13 AM   #294
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

awesome news

gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 05:41 AM   #295
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8965

This month it´s my turn...

Quote:

As of November 1, 2009, of the total of 151.84 km of tunnels, galleries and passages of the Gotthard Base Tunnel, 139.96 km, or 92.2 %, had been excavated. The total amount driven in October 2009 was 1352 m.

Faido

At Camorino and Giubiasco the installation works for the new bridge over the A2 motorway and the Morobbia bridge have begun. At Vigana further test blasts have been performed to define the explosive quantities for the A2 underpass. At the same time in the area of the portal, excavation by mechanical digger is in progress. At Sigirino excavation of the CAOP, and at Vezia blasting and excavation for the construction pit by the Villa Negroni, are continuing.
They are now digging so deep in the mountains, hopefully they won´t wake up the Balrog on their final way to the last breakthrough...

We all know what happened to the Dwarves as they released it from its prison...
What Is Love?

Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 11:43 AM   #296
Railfan
steamer

Likes (Received): 93

Railfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 12:43 PM   #297
panda80

Likes (Received): 333

so final breakthrough october-november 2010?

panda80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 01:00 PM   #298
Coccodrillo

Probably. About 3,5 km left in the eastern tube: http://www.tat-ti.ch/index.php?id=118&L=1

Old November 3rd, 2009, 08:00 PM   #299
pcrail

Likes (Received): 13

As far as I know the final breakthrough is planed for 2011, the opening for 2017.

pcrail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 12:13 AM   #300
Coccodrillo

Official dates are too pessimistic. At the end of 2008 the final breakthrough was planed for the end of 2011, in April 2009 they announced for the beginning of 2011, now the official date is end 2010. I think that the 2017 will become 2015 in a few months.

Tags
alps