daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 4th, 2010, 06:29 PM   #401
hans280

Likes (Received): 172

Now, of course, comes the most frustrating wait. The raw drilling finished on all major sections except one. From now on we'll be lucky to get 0.6% progress per month. After that there'll be a big celebration of the accomplished connection between Uri and Ticino, following which... it will take years and years before they have converted the raw tunnel to finished product, then laid the tracks, then done the signalling... Hum. Things take time. But, I so look forward to taking the train through that mountain!

Highcliff liked this post
hans280 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 5th, 2010, 07:24 AM   #402
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans280 View Post
Now, of course, comes the most frustrating wait. The raw drilling finished on all major sections except one. From now on we'll be lucky to get 0.6% progress per month. After that there'll be a big celebration of the accomplished connection between Uri and Ticino, following which... it will take years and years before they have converted the raw tunnel to finished product, then laid the tracks, then done the signalling... Hum. Things take time. But, I so look forward to taking the train through that mountain!
It might go faster than you think. The main breaktrough is expected for november this year. They will also start installing track and signaling in those sections that are completely finished this year. Right now it looks like the tunnel wil be finished for the Dec 2016 timetable change.

K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2010, 05:56 PM   #403
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8961

This will be one of the most lengthy construction threads here on SSC!
What Is Love?

Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 07:05 PM   #404
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 766

Quote:
Innengewölbe Oströhre Los 151 Erstfeld in Angriff genommen
Das Innengewölbe der Oströhre im Los 151 Erstfeld (Länge 6.8 km) ist in Angriff genommen worden.

Am 09.02.2010 ist der erste Block des Innengewölbes der Oströhre im Los 151 Erstfeld betoniert worden. Insgesamt sind im Einspurtunnel rund 680 Blöcke à 10 m Länge zu betonieren (siehe beiliegendes Bild). Das 380 m lange Verzweigungsbauwerk wird in einer zweiten Phase verkleidet.

Mit den 6 Schalungen (3 Schalungseinheiten) werden nach der Anlaufphase im Regelfall pro Tag 50 - 60 m Einspurtunnel betoniert. Im beiliegenden pdf-file ist der Ablauf der Gewölbebetonarbeiten einer Schalungseinheit schematisch dargestellt.
From http://www.agn-amsteg.ch/aktuelles/d...icle/45/7.html

In short: the firts 10 metre block out of 680 of the eastern tube in the Erstfeld section has been fileld with concrete on February 9th. At 50 to 60 per day for each tube the work may be completed in 4 to 6 months.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia

Last edited by Coccodrillo; February 12th, 2010 at 01:45 AM.
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 11:52 PM   #405
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Danke sehr for the link but you forgot to post the picture...
What Is Love?

Old February 12th, 2010, 01:23 AM   #406
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
In short: the first 10 metre block out of 680 of the eastern tube in the Erstfeld section has been filled with beton on February 9th. At 50 to 60 per day for each tube the work may be completed in 4 to 6 months.
What's this? You need to be a bit more concrete at this point.

flierfy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 01:44 AM   #407
Coccodrillo

Sorry, I have written that word in French. With "beton" I meant "concrete".

The blue structure that runs on rail shown in the photo is used to built a 10 m section of concrete lining. There are a total of 680 bocks of 10 m each for each tube of the Erstfeld section.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia

Old February 19th, 2010, 04:19 PM   #408
Luganese1980

Likes (Received): 72

For those who understand Italian, here the first part of the documentary "Il sogno infranto" (which means "The broken dream"), about life in the tunnel and out of the tunnel.

Il sogno infranto

(Swiss Television, February 18th 2010).

Part two will follow.

Luganese1980 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2010, 12:46 AM   #409
Luganese1980

Quote:
Part two will follow.
Il sogno infranto - II

Old March 2nd, 2010, 10:23 AM   #410
panda80

Likes (Received): 333

Status of work on Ceneri and Gotthard:

As of March 1, 2010, of the total of 151.84 km of tunnels, galleries and passages of the Gotthard Base Tunnel, 143.8 km, or 94.7 %, had been excavated. The total amount driven in February 2010 was 1318 m.

Of the total of 40.19 km of the Ceneri Base Tunnel, at the end of February 2010, 7,673 m, or 19.1%, had been excavated.

panda80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2010, 11:33 PM   #411
Coccodrillo

Boring of the main tunnels of the Ceneri Base Tunnel will start in October 2010.

http://info.rsi.ch/it/home/networks/...low#tabEdition

Old March 17th, 2010, 05:40 PM   #412
Coccodrillo

Quote:
Ceneri Base Tunnel: Blast-driving the main tunnel from Sigirino begins

Today, Wednesday, March 10, 2010, the main work for driving the Ceneri Base Tunnel was started with an official first blast in the installations cavern at Sigirino.

„With the start of blasting, the actual driving work for the Ceneri Base Tunnel has now also begun“, commented Renzo Simoni, Chief Executive Officer of AlpTransit Gotthard Ltd. „This brings the vision of a flat route through the Alps closer all the time.”

Drilling and blasting are being performed by the Condotte Cossi Consortium. The Condotte Cossi Consortium is composed of the companies Società Italiana per Condotte d’Acqua S.p.A. (Rome), Cossi S.p.A. (Sondrio) and Cossi SA (Lugano).

In the next few months, installations that are needed for driving the two railway tunnels of the Ceneri Base Tunnel will be put into place. The construction site should be ready for full-scale driving in the autumn of 2010.

Excavation, support and lining work should be finished in 2016. The railway infrastructure will then be installed. Commercial operation of the Ceneri Base Tunnel with scheduled train services is planned to start at the end of 2019.

With a length of 15.4 km between the north portal at Vigana, near Camorino, and the south portal at Vezia, near Lugano, after the Gotthard and Lötschberg Base Tunnels the Ceneri Base Tunnel is the third-largest tunnel project in Switzerland. Only with the Ceneri Base Tunnel as the continuation and extension of the Gotthard Base Tunnel will the new Gotthard line become a continuous flat route for freight traffic through Switzerland.

Construction status of the Gotthard Base Tunnel

In total, almost 95% of the approximately 151.8 kilometres of shafts, passages and tunnels of the Gotthard Base Tunnel have now been excavated. The first final breakthrough of the 57-kilometres-long Gotthard Base Tunnel is scheduled to take place in the east tunnel in the autumn of 2010. To reach this point, a further 3 km remain for the miners to excavate between Sedrun and Faido.

The drive in the west tunnel is around 400 m behind the east tunnel. At the end of last week, the tunnel boring machine in the west tunnel encountered a geological interference zone. Following a rock fall, driving has had to be temporarily suspended. At present, the measures for probing through the fallen rock area are being defined. Driving is expected to be interrupted for up to 4 weeks. The rock fall will have no effect on the time schedule for commissioning of the Gotthard Base Tunnel at the end of 2017.
http://www.alptransit.ch/en/news/art...m-haupttunnel/

Old April 2nd, 2010, 12:03 PM   #413
panda80

Likes (Received): 333

Quote:
Gotthard approaches final breakthrough, Ceneri starts main drive

The AlpTransit Gotthard project is on course. In the Gotthard Base Tunnel, the final breakthrough will take place in autumn 2010. In mid-March 2010, the main drive of the Ceneri Base Tunnel began. At the premiere of the AlpTransit annual film for 2009 on March 31, 2010, Renzo Simoni, CEO of AlpTransit Gotthard Ltd., gave information about progress on construction of Switzerland’s largest-ever construction project.

To date, almost 95% of the total of approximately 151.8 kilometres of shafts, passages and tunnels of the Gotthard Base Tunnel have been excavated. Civil engineering construction, concreting, and lining work in the Sedrun North, Amsteg and Bodio sections are complete. Final breakthrough in the east tunnel between Faido and Sedrun is scheduled to take place in the autumn of 2010. Up to that point, the tunnel boring machines must cut a further approximately 2.5 kilometres. As from mid-2010, installation of the railway infrastructure systems will start in the west tunnel at Bodio. The systems include the railway tracks, catenaries, telecom systems and electric power supply. To handle the logistics of installing the railway infrastructure systems, in the last few months the installations site was set up at Biasca, a few kilometres to the south of the south portal. Assembly workshops, a concrete production plant, offices and accommodation for workers have been erected on the site.

Large, chimney-like hollow space
In the west tunnel of the Gotthard Base Tunnel, approximately 600 metres behind the drive in the east tunnel, the tunnel boring machine has been stationary for around four weeks on account of a rockfall. During this period, test bores have been performed to determine the size of the hollow space that has formed, as well as the length of the interference zone. The bores have shown that the interference zone is much larger than was assumed in the first days after it was encountered. The hollow space of the interference zone that has been investigated extends in the form of a chimney to a height of at least 40 metres above the tunnel invert. The complete volume of the hollow space is estimated to be approximately 3,000 cubic metres. A substantial part of the hollow space that has been investigated is still filled with broken rock. The length of the interference zone is between 6 and 10 metres.

To enable the tunnel boring machine to resume driving, in the next few weeks the loose area in front of the cutting head will be solidified with cement through a grouting tunnel from the east tunnel which runs parallel to the west tunnel. This will take about three months. The interruption in driving will have no effect on the time schedule or on the commissioning of the Gotthard Base Tunnel at the end of 2017.

Progress on the Ceneri Base Tunnel
On the Ceneri, a milestone was achieved with the first blast at the Sigirino intermediate heading in mid-March 2010. The miners were given the go-ahead for the main drives to the north and south. From the north portal at Vigana, near Camorino, driving is proceeding under the A2 motorway. Driving in the opposite direction from the area of the south portal at Vezia will begin in mid-April 2010.

Annual film 2009 – 35 minutes of tunnel construction on DVD
The progress of construction on the Gotthard and Ceneri base tunnels is documented by film teams commissioned by AlpTransit Gotthard Ltd. Each year this results in an annual film, which, in about 30 minutes, documents the most important milestones on the NRLA construction sites of the Gotthard and Ceneri, as well as the progress of the miners. The annual film for 2009 is now available in three language versions (German, Italian, English). The DVD, which costs CHF 30, can be ordered on the Internet (http://www.alptransit.ch/?id=66) or purchased directly at the AlpTransit information centres in Erstfeld and Pollegio or the offices of AlpTransit Gotthard Ltd. in Lucerne, Altdorf, Sedrun, Faido or Bellinzona. The DVD is also available at the RailShop in Lucerne railway station.

Review of 2009: Work on the Gotthard

* In both tunnels of the Erstfeld section, the tunnel boring machines broke through to the Amsteg section. On the overground section to the north, work began on various structures such as bridges, underpasses and culverts.
* The Amsteg-Sedrun section is ready for installation of the railway infrastructure.
* In the Sedrun section, the drives in both tunnels to the south are achieving daily advance rates of 6-7 metres. Fitting out of the multifunction station is in progress. The north section is ready for installation of the railway infrastructure.
* In the Faido section, the northbound TBM drives crossed the boundary between the cantons of Ticino and Grisons in September 2009. The final work on the multifunction station is being performed at the same time as driving continues.
* The west tunnel of the Bodio section is ready for installation of the railway infrastructure. The east tunnel continues to serve for supply to, and disposal from, the construction works in the Faido section.
* On the overground section to the south, the groundbreaking ceremony for the new Swiss Federal Railways control centre at Pollegio took place at the end of November 2009. At Biasca, the installations site for the railway infrastructure was set up.

Review of 2009: Work on the Ceneri

* At the north portal near Vigana, work began on tunnelling under the A2 motorway.
* At the intermediate heading at Sigirino, the underground installations cavern was constructed and the installations site for the main construction lot was prepared.
* At the south portal at Vezia, the preparatory work on the construction site pit was completed.
The article is from the official site, www.alptransit.ch

panda80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2010, 02:15 PM   #414
Coccodrillo

Status of Work on the Gotthard and Ceneri

As of April 1, 2010, of the total of 151.84 km of tunnels, galleries and passages of the Gotthard Base Tunnel, 144.8 km, or 95.4 %, had been excavated. The total amount driven in March 2010 was 1008 m.

Of the total of 39.78 km of the Ceneri Base Tunnel, at the end of March 2010, 7,731 m, or 19.4%, had been excavated.

Old April 7th, 2010, 11:56 AM   #415
Coccodrillo

The 28th report of Alptransit works has been published, but only in German, French and Italian.

http://www.news-service.admin.ch/NSB...ssage/de/32527

(clic NEAT-Standbericht 2009/II, Rapport d'étape NLFA II/2009 or Rapporto sullo stato dei lavori NFTA II/2009 following the language)

I haven't read it yet but if I find something important I will translate it. These reports are usually a summary of what happened in the last 6 months.

Old April 7th, 2010, 12:55 PM   #416
Coccodrillo

A new colour has been added to the image showing the progression of works: yellow, to show the parts ready to receive the tracks.

(the image is updated every month)

Old April 8th, 2010, 04:55 PM   #417
Coccodrillo

The annual film is for the first time also published in English: http://www.alptransit.ch/en/service/...nsit-gotthard/

Old April 10th, 2010, 01:44 AM   #418
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Thank you very much for all the information you post here.

BTW: Interesting colour order for the construction progress:
red-->green-->yellow
What Is Love?

Old April 11th, 2010, 11:45 PM   #419
Luganese1980

Final breakthrough: October 15th 2010 (very likely)

Quote:
Galleria di base del San Gottardo: Il record del mondo è previsto per il 15 ottobre 2010

Se tutto andrà secondo i piani, la caduta del primo diaframma principale della Galleria di base del San Gottardo avverrà il 15 ottobre 2010 nella canna est tra Faido e Sedrun. Quel giorno la galleria ferroviaria più lunga del mondo (57 km) diverrà realtà. Per raggiungere questo significativo traguardo i minatori devono ancora scavare circa 2.4 km di roccia.

Renzo Simoni, Presidente della direzione di AlpTransit San Gottardo SA, si rallegra della grande conquista prevista per l’autunno. “Al momento, tutti gli indicatori confermano la data del 15 ottobre 2010. Non possiamo però escludere un ritardo, a causa ad esempio del concretizzarsi di ostacoli inattesi“.

alptransit.ch

Old April 16th, 2010, 01:44 PM   #420
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

http://videoportal.sf.tv/video?id=d3...9-6e5f67e0ccde

gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
alps