daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 2nd, 2013, 08:59 PM   #761
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
The Rho-Gallarate quadrupling might be of some use also for the Gotthard (via Luino), however NIMBYs managed to cancel this project for the next decade (curiously, they said that it would have been better to increase the suburban train service instead, when this project was exactly aimed at that...).
It seems new Ministry of Transports, being of the same party of regional admins, is willing to bring it on... (and in the nice 4-tracks, not the silly 3-tracks version).

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

Highcliff liked this post
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 9th, 2013, 11:56 PM   #762
Coccodrillo

Yesterday the first track of the Pollegio bypass, part of the junction between the old and new line, has been opened. The other track will follow next Monday. Until then one track of the old line will be used by work trains to dismantle the line itself (that's why only one track has been opened at the moment).

Below a video taken today:

And now the other junction south of the tunnel:

That's how the line through the village of Pollegio looked like:

Some photos of the old line: http://forum.milanotrasporti.org/vie...480593#p480593

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 12:09 AM   #763
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

When are the tests in the west bore of the Bodio-Faido scheduled to start? Was it next spring?

Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 12:20 AM   #764
Coccodrillo

By the end of this year.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia

Old July 10th, 2013, 03:45 PM   #765
Rayancito
Spanish Muslim

Likes (Received): 1143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
It seems new Ministry of Transports, being of the same party of regional admins, is willing to bring it on... (and in the nice 4-tracks, not the silly 3-tracks version).
Quote:
In a judgment of 9 July 2012, the Lombardy Regional Administrative Court accepted appeal No 1359 of 2011 and annulled Resolution No 33 of 13 May 2010 by the CIPE (Interministerial Economic Planning Committee) on the grounds that the technical committee that had assessed the environmental impact of the project had taken no account of the fact that the quadrupling of the railway line had actually been ruled out at the preliminary planning stage, as it had been deemed to have an excessive impact on local urban surroundings; the committee itself had apodictically affirmed that the impact in terms of vibration and noise would be neutralised by the mitigation measures included in the final project. The committee thus expressed opinions that would have called for further, more appropriate research and essentially anticipated the assessments that should have been made under the new environmental impact assessment procedure.
This is not just nimbys....

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/...30&language=EN

Rayancito no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 01:03 AM   #766
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8709

Are delays expected due to the bankruptcy of Alpine Bau?

KingNick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2013, 03:01 AM   #767
Highcliff
Fake democracy

Likes (Received): 5011

Quote:
Do you mean lined?

If so, it's yes for the GBT, no for the CBT (except a few metres).

See here: http://www.alptransit.ch/en/status-o...struction.html
hi, coccodrillo
what is exactly "lined"?
is that a layer of concrete that cover inside the tunnel?
Highcliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2013, 11:45 AM   #768
Coccodrillo

The lining is the material posed on the walls and the ceiling that cover the rock.

It can be poured concrete like this: http://i42.************/5u0h9c.jpg

Or sprayed concrete: http://www.hightech.fi/direct.aspx?a...0&prm2=article

But the lining can also be made by bricks (usually in older tunnels, built up to around 1940), or be absent: where the rock is extremely strong and there are no needs to have an "aerodynamic" tunnel there is no lining at all, and you see the rock going through the tunnel.

Old July 13th, 2013, 10:11 PM   #769
Coccodrillo

[IMG]http://i39.************/2d40mg.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i42.************/2v01wsg.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i44.************/2gskhmh.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i39.************/2vi10yt.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i43.************/t66pg3.jpg[/IMG]

Old July 13th, 2013, 11:21 PM   #770
Sunfuns

What exactly are we looking at in these last five photos?

Excellent quality, by the way.

Old July 13th, 2013, 11:26 PM   #771
Coccodrillo

It is the old line near Pollegio being demolished, replaced by the new AlpTransit line including a junction.

See post #754 for the old line (third video) and the new one with the junction (first video).

Old July 14th, 2013, 06:19 PM   #772
Sunfuns

Quote:
It is the old line near Pollegio being demolished, replaced by the new AlpTransit line including a junction.
Thanks. What's the plan for the old right of way? I assume it will be turned over to the village for general development, right?

Old July 14th, 2013, 08:12 PM   #773
Coccodrillo

I heard that a road for local traffic, walkers and bicycles with some kind of park amenities (trees, benches, etc) will be built. However the village of Pollegio has only 700 inhabitants, so nothing spectacular will happen! If it wasn't for the need of AlpTransit, the railway would have remained where it had always been. Even if it wasn't necessary to divert the old railway to connect it with the new one, I suppose it had been done because not moving the old railway would have meant building noise walls along both the new and old lines, so that basically it would have costed more or less the same.

See the map: https://maps.google.ch/maps?q=Polleg...o,+Ticino&z=17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNick View Post
Are delays expected due to the bankruptcy of Alpine Bau?
I doubt, because civil works are nearly completed in the Gotthard BT (boring already ended in 2011), while as far I know Alpine is not involved at all in the Ceneri BT.

Old July 21st, 2013, 11:24 PM   #774
Coccodrillo

Southern CBT portal, 19.07.2013.

[IMG]http://i43.************/egu14y.jpg[/IMG]

Tracks, rolling stock and other machines of the construction sites are up for sale (seriously). Here is a driving trailer for passengers.

[IMG]http://i44.************/fyoa40.jpg[/IMG]

There is a complete railway here. The last narrow gauge work train ran not much time ago, likely between 10th and 15th July 2013. Here are flat wagons and tracks, considering that there were two narrow gauge tracks in each single track running tunnel, there might have been over 200 km of 900 mm gauge tracks, although not all in service at the same time. It is also likely that the Erstfeld (northern work site) and Bodio-Pollegio (southern) narrow gauge networks were never linked together. No narrow gauge trains have been used for the CBT, although half a dozen vehicles have been used for a nearby road tunnel built at the same time (a project urnelated to the CBT).

[IMG]http://i42.************/2z827mw.jpg[/IMG]

Bonus: noise barrier protecting some trees near the southern CBT portal. Because of a too much strict law, they ruined the landscape building high noise walls even where freight trains will become a thing of the past, like on the old Gotthard and Ceneri lines.

[IMG]http://i40.************/dndjyd.jpg[/IMG]

ShearwaterSiding, Highcliff liked this post
Old August 3rd, 2013, 08:55 PM   #775
steple

Likes (Received): 1142

Railway technology at the Gotthard Base Tunnel

steple no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2013, 12:19 AM   #776
ShearwaterSiding

Likes (Received): 3

Hi Coccodrillo
I'am really intrigued by the track machinery, just wondering if you have photos or video of the machine in operation
Regards
Shearwater Siding

ShearwaterSiding no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2013, 10:04 AM   #777
StuZealand

Likes (Received): 111

Hi, if you look back a number of pages in this thread, there are some great pics of the tunnel and some of the machines used to build it.

StuZealand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2013, 07:39 PM   #778
Coccodrillo

There are certainly videos of track machines on YouTube, but myself I have never seen them in operation. I just have some photos of them taken during the Sunday/evening pause, and they are all above.

Old August 6th, 2013, 08:35 AM   #779
ShearwaterSiding

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
There are certainly videos of track machines on YouTube, but myself I have never seen them in operation. I just have some photos of them taken during the Sunday/evening pause, and they are all above.
Thanks Coccodrillo, yes I have found many machines on Youtube but none quite like your photos. I was curious if they cut and pick up an entire track section at a time or if they are dismantled first.

Love the photos, please keep them coming as I am bit far away to see them for myself, hopefully Caio

ShearwaterSiding no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 12:02 AM   #780
Coccodrillo

Looking at the photos, I suppose that the two blue things are cranes that run on the top of the wagons, picking up entire sections of track (rails and sleepers), but I'm not sure.

However, in the last photo you can see some completed sections of new track, so that's possible. I have also seen piles of completed tracks on another section of line near the CBT, temporarily removed and put one above the other to allow working on the trackbed.

Tags
alps