daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 13th, 2014, 01:16 AM   #861
StuZealand

Likes (Received): 111

Press release about the Ceneri Base Tunnel from AlpTransit (12 May):

This has only been released in Italian & German so far. Google translate has stumbled on some of the words (eg, what is "cane and reed"?). Perhaps someone who speaks Italian or German can help with this article?

Quote:
Base Tunnel Ash - last mile of the excavation to the south
The excavation work at the Gallery of the base of the Ashes (GBC) will continue at full speed on four fronts simultaneously, cane and reed east west north south direction respectively. These days, with a few months earlier than projected in the program works contract was reached the last kilometer of the excavation of the GBC in a southerly direction. goal This part allows to assume, subject to the occurrence of unexpected events, the end of the excavations to the south within a year.

Continuing at full speed the construction work of the Gallery of the base of the Ashes and in recent days, with some months earlier than planned, we started to dig the last mile of rock to the south. Both sides of the excavation , reed east and west tunnel, are located in correspondence of the town of Cureglia from the surface to a depth of about 125 m.

Based on the current situation and made the necessary evaluations, it is assumed to reach the tunnel is excavated from the site of Vezia during the spring of next year. By that time it is expected to conclude the excavation activities and safety and is therefore within the tunnel south of Sigirino (in total approx. 6 km per barrel), the attention will focus on the activities of spray coatings interior.

As for the excavation and safety in the north, compared with a geological situation demanding, remain to be excavated to reach the tunnel is made from the north portal of Camorino about 3 km. Currently both advances are at the territory of the municipality of isone from the surface to a depth of 500 m. Based on the forecasts, this means continuing with the excavation until the end of 2015.

The situation described above is in line with the general program of work which includes the commissioning of the GBC for December 2019. Existing slopes in the procedure could have an effect on that period.
The activities of rough construction, including the inner lining and the docks, should therefore be completed during the second half of 2016 in order to have a gallery ready for the phase of implementation of the technical equipment of the station.

As for the Gotthard Base Tunnel is confirmed that at the end of April 2014 about three-quarters of the railway infrastructure was installed, and are in progress in accordance with the established program verification activities of the components and test journey times to allow the commissioning of the longest railway tunnel in the world for the month of December 2016.
StuZealand no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2014, 01:24 AM   #862
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Can you post a link to the original versions?

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 01:31 AM   #863
StuZealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
Can you post a link to the original versions?
Sure:
Press release (in Italian)
Old May 13th, 2014, 01:45 AM   #864
Wilhem275
The Transporter

LOL, the "cane and reed" part is a complete mess in Italian too

What is more, Google Translate can't handle properly the subject-adjective link between English and Italian (and other languages too), so geographical references tend to go crazy...

I'll try to fix the translation.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Old May 13th, 2014, 01:58 AM   #865
StuZealand

Quote:
LOL, the "cane and reed" part is a complete mess in Italian too

What is more, Google Translate can't handle properly the subject-adjective link between English and Italian (and other languages too), so geographical references tend to go crazy...

I'll try to fix the translation.
Thank you Wilhem. What languages do you speak, BTW?

I get the general gist of the article, and it's good to see when the projected North and South breakthroughs are expected to occur.
Old May 13th, 2014, 02:36 AM   #866
Wilhem275
The Transporter

I am Italian, I can speak a proper English, some bits of German, and I can read (but not speak or write) some simple French and Spanish. I'll soon spend some months in the Netherlands so I hope I will be able to manage Dutch too

The mess is due to the fact that the Italian word "Canna (-e)" can be translated into:
- a tunnel bore
- a cane (meant as a plant, as sugarcane), which also recalls some types of water reeds
- a joint

This is still far from perfect, but a bit more meaningful:

Ceneri Base Tunnel - last mile of the excavation to the south

The excavation work at the CBT are going on at full speed on four fronts* simultaneously, in the eastern bore towards south and in the western bore towards north.
Some days ago (few months earlier than planned) the last kilometer of the CBT excavation was reached, in direction South [which means in the eastern bore, I guess]. This partial goal allows to assume, excluding unexpected events, the end of the excavations to the south within a year.
-----------------------------
The construction works of the CBT proceed at full speed and in recent days, some months earlier than planned, we started to dig the last kilometer of rock to the south. Both sides of the excavation , east and west tunnel, are located by the town of Cureglia, at a depth of about 125 m from the surface.

Based on the current situation and considering the necessary evaluations, we assume to reach during the spring of next year the part of tunnel already excavated from the Vezia portal. By that time we expect to complete the excavation and consolidation activities; then our attention will be focused on the concrete lining of the part of tunnel south of Sigirino (approx. 6 km for each bore).

About the excavation and safety operations in direction north, which are facing challenging geological conditions, about 3 km are still to be excavated to reach the tunnel excavated from the north portal of Camorino. Currently both advancement fronts* are by the municipality of Isone, at a depth of 500 m from the surface. Based on the forecasts, this means continuing with the excavation until the end of 2015.

The situation described above is in line with the general program of work, expecting the CBT to be in full operation by December 2019. Existing challenges in the project may have an effect on that deadline.
The raw building works, including the inner lining and the platforms, should therefore be completed during the second half of 2016, in order for the tunnel to be ready for the phase of implementation of the railway technical equipment.

About the Gotthard Base Tunnel, we confirm that at the end of April 2014 about 75% of the railway infrastructure had been installed, and equipment verification and test runs are in progress in accordance with the established program, in order to allow the longest railway tunnel in the world to be put into operation by December 2016.

*Is "excavation front" actual English?

Suburbanist liked this post

Last edited by Wilhem275; May 13th, 2014 at 02:45 AM.
Old May 13th, 2014, 03:14 AM   #867
StuZealand

Quote:
*Is "excavation front" actual English?
I think that I would use the word "heading" instead of "front", in this context.

Thanks for your efforts to make that a lot more readable.
Old May 13th, 2014, 03:29 AM   #868
Wilhem275
The Transporter

I found "heading" means a slightly different thing, being the smaller tunnel that is digged first:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/eng...al/tunnel3.htm

What they mean here is the actual end of the tunnel, it is a concept more related to a wall, or a façade, but I can't find the exact word.

It's probably "excavation face", as seen in the picture above; there are some references but not enough to take it for granted.

Also "coalface" is a similar concept: http://www.wordreference.com/enit/coalface

solchante liked this post
Old May 14th, 2014, 10:15 PM   #869
Coccodrillo

Quote:
About the excavation and safety operations in direction north, which are facing challenging geological conditions, about 3 km are still to be excavated to reach the tunnel excavated from the north portal of Camorino.
They would have been 1.8, if it wasn't for nimbys...

But the problem now are appeals against tenders. Some who lost the tender for railway infrastructure appealed and are delaying its prourementm thus construction. It is not sure the tunnel will open in December 2019 (although the Swiss are usually very prudent, giving a date with a certain time buffer).

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 12:56 AM   #870
StuZealand

To be precise, there are 3147 metres to be excavated in the North east tube (as at 9 May) and 1242 metres to be excavated in the South east tube.

I can't work out the distance remaining in the West tube because the West portals are stated as km 227.551 (North) and km 242.800 (South) but the progress from Sigirino is stated as km 331.150 (North) and km 341.205 (South).

The figures from Sigirino aren't even inside the tunnel limits. Or am I missing something here?
Old May 15th, 2014, 05:00 AM   #871
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21241

Had there ever been credible plans to connect Martigny with Aosta (Italy), with a mountain railway (beyond Orsières)?
Old May 15th, 2014, 10:10 AM   #872
GeneratorNL
From Holland with love

Likes (Received): 905

As with many old threads (this one was started in 2005) the first post could be improved. In this thread's first post the pictures are not showing anymore. Maybe there is a moderator around who wants to improve the first post? Otherwise people will have to scroll through many pages in order to find some basic information. Thanks!
GeneratorNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 10:13 AM   #873
rower2000

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuZealand View Post
To be precise, there are 3147 metres to be excavated in the North east tube (as at 9 May) and 1242 metres to be excavated in the South east tube.

I can't work out the distance remaining in the West tube because the West portals are stated as km 227.551 (North) and km 242.800 (South) but the progress from Sigirino is stated as km 331.150 (North) and km 341.205 (South).

The figures from Sigirino aren't even inside the tunnel limits. Or am I missing something here?
Looks like a typo (3 instead of 2) to me. That would mean 3599 m missing in the North and 1595 m in the South - which is close to the Eastern tube numbers so IMHO makes sense.
rower2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 08:39 PM   #874
Coccodrillo

Kilometres of the eastern tube begin with 2, in the western tube with 3. In the CBT they begin with 1xx and 2xx respectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Had there ever been credible plans to connect Martigny with Aosta (Italy), with a mountain railway (beyond Orsières)?
Regularly someone proposed that in the last century, but there are no chanches a railway will be built there. It would be very expensive, connect two regions without much relationship and on the Italian side there is just a single track non electrified line (and not much free capacity on the Swiss side).

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Old May 18th, 2014, 03:15 AM   #875
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8965

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneratorNL View Post
As with many old threads (this one was started in 2005) the first post could be improved. In this thread's first post the pictures are not showing anymore. Maybe there is a moderator around who wants to improve the first post? Otherwise people will have to scroll through many pages in order to find some basic information. Thanks!

I would love to edit the first post in this thread but I can´t use my old account anymore.
What Is Love?
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2014, 11:54 PM   #876
Coccodrillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
How heavy is the passenger traffic from Voralberg to the rest of Austria? For those who want to go to a bigger city both Zurich and Munich are much closer and easier to reach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
I don't know Arlberg passenger rail traffic, but here are some other transalpine routes' traffic to compare:

Arlberg road tunnel AADT: 5.500 (source)

Gotthard: rail 9.000 passengers/day, road AADT 16.000 (rail 20.000 before the road tunnel and low-cost airlines)

Lötschberg: rail 10.000, road shuttle ~4.300

Fréjus/Mont Blanc: road ~5.000 each (half of that are trucks), rail negligible but capacitiy should be around 2.200 seats a day (with a 70% load factor this would mean 1.500 passenegrs per day)

Brenner: road ~32.000, rail I don't know (but certainly not more than the Swiss examples, probably around 5.000 but I really dopn't know)
Quote:
Interesting that Lötschberg has higher rail traffic than Gotthard. I guess it has to do with lack on convenient road alternatives. Probably will change once the new tunnel is open.
The Lötschberg had 7.000 passengers/day before the opening of the base tunnel. I don't know if the 10.000 of today include also the old line or just the new (it doesn't include car shuttle's passengers), but I know this figure doubles on some peak days.

On the Gotthard, there are 7.000 on InterCity services and 2.000 on InterRegio*. It is expected that traffic will quickly rise to at least 13/15.000, with less than 1.000 on the old tunnel (but with extreme variations between working and holiday seasons).

*the IR also carry non-local traffic, as on some hours trips like Zürich-Locarno are only 15 minutes quicker combining IR, IC and regional trains, so some people prefer to take 15' more but avoiding changing trains twice-but with the new base tunnel the difference will rise to about an hour-that's why the future local service on the old line will carry less passengers than today's IRs

Old June 16th, 2014, 12:48 AM   #877
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

How many stations are actually cut off by the new tunnel? I'm not sure now about Erstfeld and Biasca...
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2014, 08:44 AM   #878
StuZealand

Quote:
How many stations are actually cut off by the new tunnel? I'm not sure now about Erstfeld and Biasca...
Just follow the path of the old line, there are a lot of stations.
Old June 16th, 2014, 02:26 PM   #879
Samply

Likes (Received): 23

The tunnel itself ends before Biasca, but the new line would bypass Biasca out in the open. I believe Erstfeld is cut off by the tunnel. In any case any stops between Arth-Goldau and Bellinzona are out of the question.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Samply no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2014, 11:17 PM   #880
Coccodrillo

Quote:
The tunnel runs between the stations of Altdorf and Biasca, with the new line continuing to a point between Biasca and Osogna Cresciano (there are junctions between the new and old north of both stations).

The precise sequence of stations is:

Flüelen
Altdorf
Erstfeld

Amsteg-Silenen
Gurtnellen
Wassen
Göschenen
Airolo

Ambrì-Piotta
Rodi-Fiesso
Faido
Lavorgo
Giornico
Bodio
Biasca
Osogna-Cresciano
Claro
Castione-Arbedo
Bellinzona

Only the stations in bold are currently open to traffic (9 out of 19). The others were closed in the 1990s to free up space for freight trains (they were served every 60 or 120 minutes by regional trains that do not exist anymore). However, all still have paltforms and underpasses, and have been occasionally been used since their official closure (as far I remember, Osogna-Cresciano during some meetings in the nearby airport, and Gurtnellen when the motorway and cantonal road have been closed in 2006 because of rockfalls blocking any road traffic).

The udnerlined stations are special cases. Ambrì Piotta and Lavorgo have two trains going to Bellinzona in the morning and two coming back in the evening, but will have (again) an hourly service starting from December 2016 when the GBT opens. Bodio has two trains to Bellinzona in the morning and noen in the afternoon, and will not see more trains stopping in it in the future. I suppose it will even be closed completely before 2023 (when, by law, all stations will have to be accessible by disabled people, and it is not worth to rebuild a station for just 2 trains a day).

It is not possible to reopen all stations probably because otherwise it would impossible to maintain connections with other trains. Osogna Cresciano and Claro will not reopen in any case until the AlpTransit line is built bypassing them (that is, not before 2040).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samply View Post
The tunnel itself ends before Biasca, but the new line would bypass Biasca out in the open. I believe Erstfeld is cut off by the tunnel. In any case any stops between Arth-Goldau and Bellinzona are out of the question.
There will be a 30' InterCity/EuroCity headway through the tunnel, one train out of two will stop in Flüelen (or Altdorf, it isn't decided yet) and end in Lugano, one will skip Flüelen and go to Milan (and beyond).

Some trains will also stop in Biasca (likely those before 8:00 and after 20:00), not more because of capacity issues (the junction north of Biasca is flat and single track), to speed up travel to most passengers and to keep connections and stations.

Sunfuns, Vaud liked this post

Tags
alps