daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 19th, 2014, 06:40 PM   #901
Luganese1980

Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuZealand View Post
I don't know the Swiss legal system, so is that the end of the matter? No further appeals are possible?
Yes - game over.
Luganese1980 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 19th, 2014, 10:24 PM   #902
Samply

Likes (Received): 23

Yesssss!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Samply no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2014, 11:20 PM   #903
StuZealand

Likes (Received): 111

I look forward to reading any reports from SSC members attending the Sigirino open day this weekend.
StuZealand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2014, 06:26 AM   #904
Luganese1980

Quote:
I look forward to reading any reports from SSC members attending the Sigirino open day this weekend.
... and also a couple of pictures would be really appreciated!
Old September 20th, 2014, 08:09 AM   #905
StuZealand

There's a webcam feed from the Sigirino adit and you can see them preparing for the open day (at this time, it's just under two hours away from the start).

Old September 20th, 2014, 09:15 PM   #906
Luganese1980

Quote:
There's a webcam feed from the Sigirino adit and you can see them preparing for the open day (at this time, it's just under two hours away from the start).
Thank you!
Old September 20th, 2014, 09:51 PM   #907
Samply

Likes (Received): 23

Was planning on going but had to change plans at the last moment, sorry!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Samply no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2014, 11:34 PM   #908
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

I went to the open day, but I didn't take many photos as there wasn't much new compared to the last open day. There was even less to see, as the four headings were kilometres into the mountains, and so it was not possible to visit them.

On the northern headings 2,7 km are left, on the southern ones just 400 m.

However, what has been achieved unnoticed is that the western tube of the GBT is now fully equipped with tracks, and most other equipments have been installed.

http://www.alptransit.ch/en/status-o...structure.html

There is just one worrying thing, which knowing our slightly stubborn decision makers will not change: the inauguration of the GBT has been set for 2nd June 2016, which is also the national day of Italy. Swiss politicians already said that they want to publicize the opening with official guests from nearby countries, however it will be hard to expect visits from Italian politicians during their national day.

I expect there will discussions and polemics in 2016...

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia

KingNick liked this post
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2014, 01:33 AM   #909
StuZealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
I went to the open day, but I didn't take many photos as there wasn't much new compared to the last open day. There was even less to see, as the four headings were kilometres into the mountains, and so it was not possible to visit them.

On the northern headings 2,7 km are left, on the southern ones just 400 m.
Thanks. So no other interesting behind the scenes information to be had from this open day?
Old September 28th, 2014, 07:16 AM   #910
Luganese1980

Quote:
There is just one worrying thing, which knowing our slightly stubborn decision makers will not change: the inauguration of the GBT has been set for 2nd June 2016, which is also the national day of Italy. Swiss politicians already said that they want to publicize the opening with official guests from nearby countries, however it will be hard to expect visits from Italian politicians during their national day. I expect there will discussions and polemics in 2016...
Hopefully they will not schedule the CBT inauguration on August 1st, 2019.
Old September 28th, 2014, 11:42 AM   #911
Coccodrillo

That would never happen, however, knowing that Italian politics quite ignore AlpTransit (with the high risk of having a bottleneck at the border), inaugurating the GBT on a day they will certainly ignore it it is absolutely idiot.

Quote:
Thanks. So no other interesting behind the scenes information to be had from this open day?
No, not really.

I have uploaded on my webspace a few high resolution photos and a video taken during Erstfeld's open day on 29 May 2009. They all show narrow gauge trains used during construction.

As they are quite heavy files, I have uploaded them as multi-volume RAR files. If someone has problem uncompressing them, just tell me. I will keep them online only for a few weeks, so if you are interested download them as soon as possible. Each file weights 20 MB, except the last one, 7 MB.

http://www.trambus.org/gbt-temp/29.05.2009.part1.rar
http://www.trambus.org/gbt-temp/29.05.2009.part2.rar
http://www.trambus.org/gbt-temp/29.05.2009.part3.rar
http://www.trambus.org/gbt-temp/29.05.2009.part4.rar
http://www.trambus.org/gbt-temp/29.05.2009.part5.rar
http://www.trambus.org/gbt-temp/29.05.2009.part6.rar

A short note of what I have written elsewhere:

The boring sequence of the GBT may look strange, but it is due to legal disputes (appeals of builders which lost some contracts), that has delayed the Erstfeld section.
The five worksite from north to south are Erstfeld, Amsteg, Sedrun, Faido, Bodio.
The initial plan was to start from Erstfeld and Bodio witht he TBMs, then overhaul them in Amsteg and Faido, and finally dismantle them in Sedrun (the three central worksites being bored by drill&blast).
However, because of appeals TBMs started from Amsteg, arrived in Sedrun, and then were moved to Erstfel. But there were the same machines, and have always bored southbound, one in each tube.
A total of 7 TBMs has been used in the GBT, 2 from the north, 2 from the south, 2 smaller (something between 3 and 6 m rather than 9.8 m) for three service tunnels (a cable tunnel for train electricity supply, a tunnel for geological surveys, and a tunnel used to transport excavated material to a dump site by conveyor belt).

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia

Last edited by Coccodrillo; September 28th, 2014 at 11:55 AM.
Old September 28th, 2014, 06:35 PM   #912
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21242

Have they stored excavated material somewhere in some big deposit areas where builders can buy it cheap to use in other earth fillings and embankments elsewhere?

Has any stream being significantly affected by the excavation in unexpected ways? When they dug the Gran Sasso road tunnels in Italy, there were quite some big (in a local scale) hydrology changes to the streams, some minor tickling ones started carrying much more water year-round whereas some others dried out completely and yet another ones had their flows reduced up to 80%, not getting spring overflows any longer.

Has this happened in some way near the Gotthard project site?
Old September 29th, 2014, 09:31 AM   #913
-PGG-
Industrial Rail User

Likes (Received): 27

Disposal of Tunnel Spoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Have they stored excavated material somewhere in some big deposit areas where builders can buy it cheap to use in other earth fillings and embankments elsewhere?
Of course, this stage of the GBT is over, and drawing to a close for the CBT.

There are a nice sequence of now historic photos on this website:

http://www.reissweb.net/index.htm

filed under > AlpTransit

> Umschlaganlage Amsteg
> Amsteg
> Erstfeld
> Umschlagbahnhof

These show the dispersal of muck and spoil from the tunnel out on the connection to the existing 1 435 mm gauge rail network.

-PGG- Tasmania - retired
-PGG- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2014, 09:57 PM   #914
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Have they stored excavated material somewhere in some big deposit areas where builders can buy it cheap to use in other earth fillings and embankments elsewhere? Has any stream being significantly affected by the excavation in unexpected ways? When they dug the Gran Sasso road tunnels in Italy, there were quite some big (in a local scale) hydrology changes to the streams, some minor tickling ones started carrying much more water year-round whereas some others dried out completely and yet another ones had their flows reduced up to 80%, not getting spring overflows any longer. Has this happened in some way near the Gotthard project site?
The useable fraction of the excavated material has been reused to make concrete for the tunnel linings. About a third if the material thus found its way back in to the tunnel...

The rest has been used for various purposes. Amongst other things new artificial islands in Lake Uri.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2014, 10:24 PM   #915
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

So excavation of the running tunnels is done, then? What about the connecting tunnels and side tunnels?
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2014, 10:57 PM   #916
Coccodrillo

In the Gotthard base tunnel (GBT) all excavation work has been completed around a year ago, and most equipments have been installed. Trial runs on 15 completed km of the western tube have already started, and all construction work and testing should be finished by the beginning of 2016. The inuauguration is planned between 2 and 5 June 2016. If they do what has been done with the opening of the LBT (Lötschberg base tunnel), opening to traffic will be progressive: firstly passenger trains will run during the opening ceremony in June 2016 (also for public, not just authorities), then some freight trains will follow from mid-June (not all of them, some still continuing to use the old line), then a limited passenger service might start in September, with full opening with the timetable change on 11.12.2016. While I suppose nearly all freight trains will be diverted to the new line already during Autumn, most passenger trains will continue to run on the old line until Saturday 10 December.

After seeing the GBT under construction for 15 years, I look forward to the 10/11 Decemebr weekend. I will try to take one of the last intercity trains over the old line, then the first northbound train on Sunday morning

In the Ceneri base tunnel (CBT) excavation is still in progress, but 83% has already been done.

http://www.alptransit.ch/en/status-o...struction.html

Quote:
However, what has been achieved unnoticed is that the western tube of the GBT is now fully equipped with tracks, and most other equipments have been installed.

http://www.alptransit.ch/en/status-o...structure.html

Old September 30th, 2014, 06:35 AM   #917
Luganese1980

Quote:
After seeing the GBT under construction for 15 years, I look forward to the 10/11 Decemebr weekend. I will try to take one of the last intercity trains over the old line, then the first northbound train on Sunday morning
Sounds good!

And three years later, let's do the same with the Lugano-Locarno journey... That will be amazing too!
Old September 30th, 2014, 04:24 PM   #918
Reinhard

Likes (Received): 0

Hello,

PGG missed one step in his discription for AlpTransit pictures:

http://www.reissweb.net

Go to "Galleries" -> "Special" -> "AlpTransit"

Or simply go to "Suchen" -> type "alpt" and you'll get the same result.

An additional place was used for material suitable for recycling:

Go to "Galleries" -> "Events" -> "1 Million Tonnen"

Regards
Reinhard

Site owner reissweb.net
Reinhard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2014, 05:46 AM   #919
StuZealand

Article from SwissInfo on the GBT:

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/multimed...unnel/40792690
Old October 31st, 2014, 06:48 PM   #920
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26132

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/i...se-tunnel.html

Tracklaying completed in Gotthard base tunnel
31 Oct 2014

SWITZERLAND: The completion of tracklaying in the 57 km Gotthard base tunnel was marked with a ceremony at 12.00 on October 31, when the concrete was poured for a ‘Golden Sleeper’, 54 m from the southern portal at Bodio.

Noting that it is now possible for diesel-hauled trains to run through the base tunnel from end to end, the CEO of project promoter Alptransit Gotthard AG Renzo Simoni said an ‘important milestone’ had been achieved on schedule.

Installation of the railway systems has been contracted to the Transtec Gotthard consortium. Within this grouping, the trackwork has been undertaken by Balfour Beatty Rail and Renaissance Construction (formerly Alpine Bau) The contractors have taken 39 months to install Sonneville Low-Vibration Track through both bores, employing 125 workers in shifts around the clock, seven days a week. The work required the laying of 290 km of rail and 380 000 concrete sleeper blocks, together with 131 000 m³ of concrete to cast the slabs in situ

Tags
alps