daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 25th, 2016, 05:58 PM   #1101
steple

Likes (Received): 1142

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=570199&nseq=4
Georg Trüb, March 18, 2016, Pollegio
This is the south portal of the world's longest railway tunnel, the 57 kilometer long Gotthard Base Tunnel (GBT), which will be inaugurated on first of June this year. The 125 meter long test train "P II LAIKA" with Re 460 # 084, standard car IV B 50 85 21-95 283-0, EC car Bpm61 61 85 20-90 267-6, Apm61 61 85 10-90 223-1 and cab car Bt 50 85 28-94 913-6, is leaving the east bore of the tunnel. The test runs take place under the responsibility of Alptransit AG, which built the tunnel. From first of June, the SBB will be responsible for further test operation till December 2016, when timetabled traffic will start. In the right upper corner of the picture, the double track of the "old" Gotthard mountain line, in the left foreground the freeway A2.

3737, pai nosso, dimlys1994, Zaz965 liked this post
steple no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 25th, 2016, 09:17 PM   #1102
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

what is the temperature of the middle section of the tunnel, with almost 2000m of rock above it? something around 40 oC?
Old March 26th, 2016, 05:23 AM   #1103
StuZealand

Likes (Received): 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
what is the temperature of the middle section of the tunnel, with almost 2000m of rock above it? something around 40 oC?
"Maximum rock temperature Approx. 46° C" taken from the facts and figures PDF.

Zaz965, Suburbanist liked this post
StuZealand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2016, 11:59 PM   #1104
Zaz965
Je suis kanonirsss

Likes (Received): 27925

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuZealand View Post
As of today, it's only ten weeks until opening. .

djole13, Manolo_B2 liked this post
Zaz965 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2016, 12:39 AM   #1105
steple

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=572194&nseq=1
Georg Trüb, March 18, 2016, Pollegio
At 02.18 PM: We have a look down from the mountain, about 500 meter above the valley floor, to the south portal of the Gotthard Base Tunnel (GBT), 57 kilometer long between Erstfeld and Pollegio through the Alps, which will be inaugurated on 1st of June, exactly in 8 weeks from now. A test train with locomotive Re 460 # 084 and four cars left the east bore of the tunnel some minutes ago and brought some technicians to the fresh air. In this moment, two highspeed tilting trains are meeting on the "old" Gotthard mountain line, which was newly laid in this part some years ago. One train is the ICN 671 from Basel via Lucerne to Lugano, which is run by an ETR 610 since change of timetable in December 2015. The other is Eurocity 16 from Milan to Zürich. If both would have been on time exactly, they would have met in Biasca, about 5 kilometer from here. But train 671 had about 8 minutes delay and train 16 about 2 minutes, so their meeting was just here above the GBT south portal. A very lucky and unique shot.
Old April 8th, 2016, 01:14 AM   #1106
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

A special train service including a run in the GBT, the visit of Sedrun station, and the return trip via the old line, has been proposed. Two trains will be offered daily from August to November (except on Monday).

Despite the capacity of each train (~300 people IRIC) and the high price (80 to 120 CHF, ~the same in US$ or 75~105€) it seems that every seat in August has been sold.

I should book quickly a seat for myself...if I want to try it!

http://www.sbb.ch/en/leisure-holiday...ial-train.html

It will be a special "tourist" train, not a regular train, regular tickets are not accepted and the visit of Sedrun station will not be allowed again soon after this occasion. This train will keep occupied one tube for at least an hour each time it runs, so it will be possible to run it only this year when regular traffic will still be scheduled mainly on the old line.

The Zug-Arth Goldau railway line will not be closed because of works next year, meaning a new timetable must be developed. A draft of it will be made public on http://www.progetto-orario.ch/ on 30.5.2016, to allow citizens to send comments.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia

Suissetralia liked this post
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2016, 02:14 AM   #1107
Wilhem275
The Transporter

In a few weeks the trains seen in that picture will trade places

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2016, 11:06 PM   #1108
earthJoker
Ölm

Likes (Received): 1988

I thought it wont have regular trains until December?

See you in the Swiss Forum on skyscrapercity.com
earthJoker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2016, 12:26 AM   #1109
Coccodrillo

Delayed trains might be diverted in the base tunnel from August as to arrive on time on the other side. Then very few existing trains might be regularly diverted in the base tunnel, with a new path ("Trasse", in German).

When the LBT opened a couple of return trips were added between Brig and Spiez (Bern in the weekends), in addition to the already existing services.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Old April 10th, 2016, 09:47 PM   #1110
steple

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=572464&nseq=0
Georg Trüb, April 08, 2016, Luzern
15 meter long piece of the new Gotthard Base Tunnel (GBT) in original size, exhibited in the Swiss Museum of Transport in Lucerne. All relevant pieces of the bore are demonstrated here.
Old April 10th, 2016, 10:08 PM   #1111
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
Delayed trains might be diverted in the base tunnel from August as to arrive on time on the other side. Then very few existing trains might be regularly diverted in the base tunnel, with a new path ("Trasse", in German).
Let's hope in a lot of delays, then

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2016, 11:26 PM   #1112
Suburbanist
on the road

They could use the opportunity brought by the new GBT to revive the Cisalpino service brand...
Old April 18th, 2016, 08:18 AM   #1113
StuZealand

What's being built above the Vezia portal of the CBT? Looks like it will be a road on the right side of the web cam image.
Old April 27th, 2016, 03:13 AM   #1114
stingstingsting
railover

Likes (Received): 29

I don't mean to be spruiking for a private watchmaker but this is way too cool...

Mondaine crafts watches that feature the ubiquitous clock face found at Swiss railway stations. Their stop2go range incorporates the characteristic 2-second delay preceding each minute. This year Mondaine has released a very rare and special set of watches to commemorate the opening of the Gotthard Base Tunnel. The bezel of each watch is crafted from the driver's cab door of the Ae 6/6 locomotive, making each watch extra special.

Now I would really love one but for some reason my wallet is not obliging me, so here's a heads up for anyone who wants to be one of the lucky 2016 owners Check the Mondaine and SBB CFF FSS websites out

P.S. I would have liked to post some images of the watches but I did not in case of copyright issues.
Old April 27th, 2016, 09:09 PM   #1115
Coccodrillo

Tickets for the public event are being sold. Prices are high compared to the festivities for the LBT in 2007, around 8 CHF for general abo owners, 15 for half fare, 30 for others, and only includes a round trip Biasca-Erstfeld (GBT+mountain line or viceversa), plus 30% reduction from oneself's home.

Trains every 30 mintues through the GBT, and 3 on the mountain line (2 special trains doing only Biasca-Erstfeld + 1 timetabled IR trains also carrying regular passengers).

http://www.gottardo2016.ch/en/public-event

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuZealand View Post
What's being built above the Vezia portal of the CBT? Looks like it will be a road on the right side of the web cam image.
It is a new local road, which according to plans didn't exist before. It just links some houses.

https://map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=ech&...883.49&zoom=12

Quote:
They could use the opportunity brought by the new GBT to revive the Cisalpino service brand...
You have a special love with failed projects and brands, I remember you also proposed somewhere to keep the Fyra brand

Vaud, FelixMadero liked this post

Last edited by Coccodrillo; April 29th, 2016 at 11:53 PM.
Old May 2nd, 2016, 03:14 AM   #1116
StuZealand

Only a month until opening day!

Wilhem275 liked this post
Old May 2nd, 2016, 06:58 AM   #1117
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
What is it you have with completely discredited brands :-)
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2016, 11:45 PM   #1118
Coccodrillo

More details about the public festivities:

And one PDF showing also the timetables, but only in DE-FR-IT:

http://www.sbb.ch/content/dam/sbb/de...rdo_dt_web.pdf
http://www.sbb.ch/content/dam/sbb/de...ottardo_fr.pdf
http://www.sbb.ch/content/dam/sbb/de...ottardo_it.pdf

The special trains and the various shuttle buses can also be found on the route planner on www.sbb.ch. The trains through the GBT will not stop in existing stations, but by temporary platforms near the two portals (which have been added to the route planner's database, too). There will be up to 6 trains per hour per direction crossing the Gotthard these days (in addition to InterCity and EuroCity).

Old May 11th, 2016, 12:12 AM   #1119
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
More details about the public festivities:

And one PDF showing also the timetables, but only in DE-FR-IT:

http://www.sbb.ch/content/dam/sbb/de...rdo_dt_web.pdf
http://www.sbb.ch/content/dam/sbb/de...ottardo_fr.pdf
http://www.sbb.ch/content/dam/sbb/de...ottardo_it.pdf

The special trains and the various shuttle buses can also be found on the route planner on www.sbb.ch. The trains through the GBT will not stop in existing stations, but by temporary platforms near the two portals (which have been added to the route planner's database, too). There will be up to 6 trains per hour per direction crossing the Gotthard these days (in addition to InterCity and EuroCity).
They are making a bit event out of it, indeed. They are even selling a "we love shortcuts" shirt

source: gottardo2016.ch

A "vintage" scheme of the line (current siuation) in Erstfeld

Wilhem275 liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2016, 01:36 AM   #1120
StuZealand

I hear that the leaders of Germany, France and Italy will be attending the opening.

It would be good to see some of the opening celebrations on New Zealand TV, even though it doesn't affect us down here in any way.

Oh, I wonder if the webcams showing the GBT portals will be removed after the opening? Doesn't seem much point keeping them after that.

Tags
alps