daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 6th, 2005, 08:36 AM   #21
Marathoner
Marathoner

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wieland.
A few days ago, I searched for 100x100 cities (more than 100 buildings, taller than 100m). I don't really remember the exact numbers but it was about:

1. Hong Kong (785)
2. New York (450)
3. Tokyo (289)
4. Chicago (245)
5. Shanghai (175)

(numbers not always correct, but ranking is right)
Please check from Emporis. It's more accurate. The numbers for HK should be much more!

Buildings over 40 storeys in HK:
- HK Island is about 220
- Kowloon is about 320
- New Territories is over 400

So the total number of buildings over 40 storeys in HK is more than 900. A 40-storey building in HK should be at least 120m tall. If the creteria is 100m, the number should be thousands as Skyline & Scrapers Web said the number for over 90m is 3596.
Marathoner no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 6th, 2005, 01:13 PM   #22
Mosaic
BANGKOK

Likes (Received): 758

I think Bangkok should be on the list as well. Many people are underrated Bangkok.
Mosaic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2005, 07:40 PM   #23
PhillyPhilly90

CHICAGO definitely is the king of SUPERTALLS. I don't care about the official height, but Chicago's supertalls are much more massive and bigger than HK's supertalls.

Sears Tower is taller than all of HK's supertalls. John Hancock Center and Aon are more "bigger" and more "massive" than Bank of China, Central Plaza, and the Centre. Don't forget about AT&T Coroporate Center at 1,007 ft (880 ft roof), the 995 ft Prudential Center and the 965 ft 300 South Wacker building.

Chicago has the biggest and the most massive supertalls.
PhillyPhilly90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2005, 08:03 PM   #24
Marathoner
Marathoner

But the mass of all the skyscrapers in HK is much more massive than that of Chicago. I think we are not just focusing on a few towers here.

Even when focusing only on a few supertalls, HK is still impressive especially after the completion of the ICC and Nina Tower. HK will have 2 over-400m, 4 over-300m and 6 over-250m, not to mention the numerous over-200m & enormous over-150m.

I think we focus more on height, numbers & artistic form in this forum.
Old November 6th, 2005, 08:32 PM   #25
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Chicago will have 3 over 400m, 5 over 300m, and 9 over 250m
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2005, 08:49 PM   #26
DarkFenX
A B C

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddAlert
Most of these buildings in so-called "skyscraper capitals" are horrible....im looking in the general direction of Asian cities and Sao Paulo. Chicago has the greatest skyline right now. Just wait until Forham Spire, Trump, Waterview...etc.
So is Fordham Spire approved or still a proposal?

BOSTON - CITY OF CHAMPIONS

NE Patriots 2001 - NE Patriots 2003 - NE Patriots 2004 - Boston Red Sox 2004 - Boston Red Sox 2007 - Boston Celtics 2008 - Boston Bruins 2011 - Boston Red Sox 2013 - NE Patriots 2014
DarkFenX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2005, 09:52 PM   #27
Zaki
Joi Bangla

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhilly90
CHICAGO definitely is the king of SUPERTALLS. I don't care about the official height, but Chicago's supertalls are much more massive and bigger than HK's supertalls.

Sears Tower is taller than all of HK's supertalls. John Hancock Center and Aon are more "bigger" and more "massive" than Bank of China, Central Plaza, and the Centre. Don't forget about AT&T Coroporate Center at 1,007 ft (880 ft roof), the 995 ft Prudential Center and the 965 ft 300 South Wacker building.

Chicago has the biggest and the most massive supertalls.
They maybe more massive but HK's skyscrapers are much more artistic and better looking. Currently chicago doesnt have any building like the bank of china. Most of its current buildings are just big boxes with no consideration to design.
Zaki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2005, 12:25 PM   #28
ChicagoSkyline
BANNED

Location: Chicago[Naperville-SW Suburb] + Miami[Miami Beach & South Beach]
Likes (Received): 29

Very interesting comparison!
For da supertall big boys:
Current Capital of supertall: Chicago(Tallest and most diversified skyscrapers)
follow by HK and NYC without doubt!~ Future, possibilities of Dubai catching up!
Then da highrises and midrises:
Sao Paulo, Tokyo, Shanghai and Seoul...lots of cities can cliam da crow on this one!
ChicagoSkyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2005, 12:41 PM   #29
ChicagoSkyline
BANNED

Location: Chicago[Naperville-SW Suburb] + Miami[Miami Beach & South Beach]
Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaki
They maybe more massive but HK's skyscrapers are much more artistic and better looking. Currently chicago doesnt have any building like the bank of china. Most of its current buildings are just big boxes with no consideration to design.
You are comparing with supertalls that are completely in da different age group! Please tell me that HK has anything to match up with Chicago in 1970s! The architecture trend was completely different during the boom of Chicago and HK. While Chicago sets the record and developing supertall architecture that are most efficient for the occupancy which resulted in all of em being massive. HK supertalls all are built in recent years with the emphasis on having to look artistic. So if you want to compare da history,LOL, Chicago by miles! But artistic and styles, Chicago and HK can closely match up based on personal preference. Don't forget that those big boxes still standing among da tallest in the world was 30 years ago! Image what it was like for HK 30 years ago, still sucking up nips,lol!
ChicagoSkyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2005, 01:07 PM   #30
Marathoner
Marathoner

HK doesn't have much to say on supertall 30 years ago. But the night view is so scenic and romantic, even better than today IMO. Even without any supertall, HK was already known as "Pearl of the Orient" in the 60's & 70's. Actually, HK did have lots of tall buildings back to late 60's & 70's, just didn't have supertall.

For the overall skyline NOW, HK wins. I think we are not only focusing on a few supertalls here. Those over-100, over-150 & over-200 are so important to form a good looking skyscraper scene. Even when history is counted, the forumers here have chosen HK. Unless the forumers here are blind. Maybe I blind first.

Last edited by Marathoner; November 7th, 2005 at 01:19 PM.
Old November 7th, 2005, 11:20 PM   #31
spyguy
Expert

Because a lot of users are impressed by flashy signs and weird shapes/colors, not really the history, functionality, and importance of the building.
Old November 7th, 2005, 11:49 PM   #32
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy999
Chicago will have 3 over 400m, 5 over 300m, and 9 over 250m

i don't want to show off or annoy anyone, some people might know it , but for those who don't, dubai has 14 towers taller than 300m UC and APP at the moment
and 3 completed of course.

not talking abt a lot in proposal/planning stage of course, there are maybe 5 in the pipeline for the next months from what we know.
dubaiflo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 12:02 AM   #33
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

HK has height that rivals Chicago and numbers that exceed both NYC and Chicago combined. In those respects, HK is right at the top. Quality is not that big of an issue. There are many gems in HK, not just those found on HK island.

Which city can honestly say that all the people of that city live, work, eat and play in skyscrapers? That is the true skyscraper lifestyle and the only city which can claim this type of lifestyle is HK. For me this is why HK is the skyscraper capital.
Old November 8th, 2005, 12:09 AM   #34
Gonzza

hong kong
Gonzza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 03:57 AM   #35
London™
K-Mod

Approximately 13 million out of 23 million people living in Metropolitan Seoul live in +12 story buildings (which, on average, is home to around 350 people, or 110 families, per building.) And that figure doesn't even include commercial highrises.

The only city that can compete with Seoul in terms of the number of +12 story buildings is Sao Paulo... Even HK and Tokyo don't come close to those two giants.

(Btw, those midget apartments in the foreground - not the midsized ones - are around 10-15 stories.)
London™ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 04:05 AM   #36
spyguy
Expert

Seoul is a great place, but rows of midrises with no merit don't constitute a capital to me. True skyscraper living is probably something for another topic.
Old November 8th, 2005, 05:04 AM   #37
AcesHigh
Taking On The World

Likes (Received): 7958

AcesHigh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 06:48 AM   #38
CHI

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy999
Seoul is a great place, but rows of midrises with no merit don't constitute a capital to me.
Well the topic was really meant to merit discussion regarding the MANY skyscraper capitals. Just because Hong Kong or Chicago have a couple of buildings (I say only a couple because they're nothing compared to Sao Paulo) that are tall, but that doesn't mean they are 'skyscaper capitals'. London is right, Seoul and Sao Paulo are amazing that no other cities that can be compared to when talking about skyscrapers. I know people will ignore this fact and go on talking about how good Hong Kong (or chicag) is, but regardless, the fact remains.
CHI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 07:08 AM   #39
Marathoner
Marathoner

HK is not just a couple of buildings. Yes. It only has a couple of over-400m. But the highrise & skyscraper number is now unbeatable. Please refer to the statistics.

You don't see most of the skyscrapers in HK from the photos because there are so many, scattered all over HK.
Old November 8th, 2005, 08:25 PM   #40
legal

Likes (Received): 4146

Supertall:
1. Hong Kong
2. NY
3. Chicago
4. Shanghai

Midtall:
1. Sao Paulo
2. Tokyo
3. Seul
www.globaltradeview.com, a forum on International Business & Travels.
www.lehighproducts.com
Study English or Intl Business in USA: www.lehighglobal.com
Organic & Specialty Food Monthly Subscription Box: www.dacostassecret.com
legal no está en línea   Reply With Quote