daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 22nd, 2006, 06:07 PM   #181
nysgreg

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob
I am surprised that Michigan hasn't gotten more votes. This leaves me with a bad impression of the US highways that I haven't driven. I have posted a few photos taken from some Michigan interstates. Bare in mind, not all of there roads are as rough as this, just too many of them are.

]

I figured michigan would definitely be up there.. but I've never driven in or thru michigan so I couldn't personally judge
nysgreg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 25th, 2006, 12:01 AM   #182
pdxheel

North Carolina
pdxheel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 05:11 AM   #183
gronier
BANNED

Asphalt highways in the US

I would like you to post some pictures of some highways in the US that look like the asphalt highways in Europe. It will be a very interesting thread!!
Let's get it started
gronier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 05:31 AM   #184
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamicanes
Judging from I-20 between Dallas and Shreveport, I-49 between Shreveport and Baton Rouge, I-10 between Shreveport and Jacksonville, and I-95 south to Miami late in 2000...

Texas: awesome.

Florida: Absolutely, positively the worst roads of the lot. Driving across the border from Alabama to Florida was like driving into a third world country. The shoulders vanished, and the road went from smooth black asphalt to the awful seashell roadway that Florida used to think was a cool 20 years ago... giving way to cracked and heaving concrete slabs somewhere between Pensacola and Tallahassee before improving in Jacksonville. I-95? Antique and grossly inadequate. I don't think I managed to go faster than 45mph until I was about 40 miles south of Daytona. Gridlock the whole f**king way to Miami. Wait, it gets worse. I ended up at I-95 and I-595 at 4:30. TWO HOURS LATER, I was home in Coral Gables. It actually took longer to drive 30 miles from Broward to Dade than it took to drive across Mississippi AND Alabama.

Florida does have a few good roads (I-95 through Broward County, most of Orlando's new roads), and just about all the new roads built or rebuilt since 1990 have been great... but god help you if you end up stuck on one of its many outdated antique roadways desperately in need of a bulldozer, 16-laning, and a few Texas-like 6-level stacks (yeah, I got badly spoiled by Texas roads when I was out there. Texas freeways beat Florida's up, down, left, right, and diagonally.

Oh, and northern Florida also had absolutely the worst radio stations of any state I had to drive through. Thank god for Sirius... it's the only thing that makes driving more than a hundred miles from Miami bearable. I think Nebraska and Iowa have better radio stations than northern Florida does.
Have you even been on I-10 in florida? i drove there in september after katrina when i was moving back to st.petersburg from dallas florida had the best roads of what we drove on. It was smooth black asphalt and the rest stops were probably the nicest and cleanest for the whole trip. I-75 was also the same nice and smooth black ashpalt and I-275 is good until you get into tampa where it is still smooth until you near downtown, traffic is bad and construction too but its changing for the better. In st.petersburg I-275 is still concrete and yet its fairly smooth too.

Ive never been on I-95 maybe its different on the east coast of florida but on the west coast the highways except for tampa are very good. I forgot to add I-4 its also nice and smooth in florida traffic is the biggest issue but road quality is very good compared to most states.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 05:49 AM   #185
I-275westcoastfl

US19 these pics are kinda outdated but its all aspalt and with the new overpasses being built its also going to be very modern.

Last edited by I-275westcoastfl; March 25th, 2006 at 06:33 AM.
Old March 25th, 2006, 05:53 AM   #186
Nick in Atlanta

Likes (Received): 5

@gronier: Do you have some sort of fetish with asphalt highways? Why do you want to see pics of US asphalt highways and who ever said that all highways in Europe were asphalt. Some must be concrete.
Nick in Atlanta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 05:56 AM   #187
hudkina

Likes (Received): 106

In Michigan, asphalt is used as a cheap fix when the concrete wears out.
hudkina no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 06:02 AM   #188
gronier
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick in Atlanta
@gronier: Do you have some sort of fetish with asphalt highways? Why do you want to see pics of US asphalt highways and who ever said that all highways in Europe were asphalt. Some must be concrete.
I love their smoothness and I think they are more beautiful than concrete highways.
gronier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 06:06 AM   #189
Nick in Atlanta

Likes (Received): 5

I'm no tree-hugger, but asphalt is a petroleum byproduct so everytime a road needs asphalt it is sucking up more of that precious oil. However, it is reuseable.

Concrete seems fine to me. Nowadays they can make it with certain additives that makes it as hard and flexible as steel!
Nick in Atlanta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 06:08 AM   #190
magestom

Likes (Received): 17

I agree
magestom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 10:01 PM   #191
tahk

I'm afraid that asphalt doesn't mean the same for you and me cuz here every single piece of land planned for transit is made with that and I didn't notice anything different on the roads when I was to the US
tahk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 10:31 PM   #192
Rail Claimore

Likes (Received): 14

Concrete lasts much longer, but once it goes bad, it can take a while to fix because states are unwilling to come up with money to do a complete fix on long sections of road.
Rail Claimore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2006, 01:05 AM   #193
emutiny

Likes (Received): 7

Yea i think concrete highways are only built originally. Then after so many years the concrete is good for they have to repair it with asphalt because putting concrete down would require tearing up highway.
emutiny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 05:27 PM   #194
miamicanes

Likes (Received): 181

Well, it's been ~5 years since I drove on I-10, so it was probably redone since my trip. But in October 2000, I-10 in Florida REALLY sucked... especially west of Tallahassee -- no shoulders, original 1960s-vintage narrow rural seashell-paved highway.
miamicanes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2006, 03:11 AM   #195
I-275westcoastfl

^oh ok 5 years ago i dont doubt it was very rural back then florida has changed and grown so much since then.
Old March 28th, 2006, 10:07 PM   #196
nysgreg

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl
^oh ok 5 years ago i dont doubt it was very rural back then florida has changed and grown so much since then.
even the florida of 5 years ago was WAY better than most nothern states..

Florida's oldest highways were built in the 60s... MANY states in the north have highways pre-interstate legislation.

that alone speaks volumes!
nysgreg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 03:11 AM   #197
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

New York and Michigan both have roads that are often in disrepair.

Ohio generally has pretty good roads, especially the interstates which are vastly better shape than any of Ohio's neighbors. They tend to be plenty wide, and in good shape for a northern state.

Pennsylvania, Indiana, and Illnois are three states I would rate as mediocre in the construction and quality of their roads.

Last edited by Paddington; April 11th, 2006 at 03:17 AM.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 08:18 AM   #198
sisig
NorCal Life

Likes (Received): 0

I've never experienced potholes like northern California city streets, although i have also never been to the northeast states.
sisig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 11:04 PM   #199
cayenne
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Why do the Americans call themselves "the greatest country in the world", when they can't even maintain the roads that were paved decades ago?.I have never seen such pothole ridden roads anywhere else in the world.Maybe Africa!.Talk about dodgy infrastructure!.The poor colored folk of New Orleans will tell you a lot about the dam that burst through their town.The Americans build cars stronger than the cardboard palaces that they live in!!.Almost every state in America has dodgy roads.They're no different from any other third world country.
cayenne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2006, 04:51 PM   #200
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayenne
Why do the Americans call themselves "the greatest country in the world", when they can't even maintain the roads that were paved decades ago?.I have never seen such pothole ridden roads anywhere else in the world.Maybe Africa!.Talk about dodgy infrastructure!.The poor colored folk of New Orleans will tell you a lot about the dam that burst through their town.The Americans build cars stronger than the cardboard palaces that they live in!!.Almost every state in America has dodgy roads.They're no different from any other third world country.
STFU.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban