daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 22nd, 2008, 02:17 AM   #2021
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506 View Post
Also has anyone noticed that most American roads have really thin lane markings?
Especially on the edge- I think many states use a four inch width on regular two lane roads. Not the greatest thing, for sure- but not the end of the world either.
Billpa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 22nd, 2008, 02:25 AM   #2022
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
And it's not really the best time to raise any taxes at the moment, and I don't really see any prospect of higher gas tax anytime soon.
But people are not paying the actual cost of driving. Infrastructure is degrading quickly and something has to be done. Of course people don't want more taxes, but if they don't want more taxes, then they had better expect their government gifts to start dwindling.

"A wicked man puts up a bold front, but an upright man gives thought to his ways." - Proverbs 21: 29
phattonez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 05:10 AM   #2023
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
Gas tax in the US is pretty pitiful, and what's worse is that we can't get electric cars here. They would be the most efficient (as far as I know) and there's no local pollution. So why is there not more demand for it?
Are you willing to build all of the new power plants and high-energy power lines needed to charge the batteries in a large national fleet of electric cars? Also, effective driving range has been a BIG issue for electric cars, with few ever being able to go more than 100-150 km between charges. Effective highway range on a full tank of fuel in my car is about 800 km.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 06:47 AM   #2024
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

Electric cars can go as far, that's really just a myth about them not having as long a range.

If electric cars are rolled out, let's be serious, it would be done gradually. That would give enough time for the power companies to match up with demand. I don't see why it shouldn't be done. Power companies will upgrade the infrastructure with respect to demand, and the rates will be higher for those who use the most. It's an experiment that definitely needs to be tried, especially in valley/desert cities.

"A wicked man puts up a bold front, but an upright man gives thought to his ways." - Proverbs 21: 29
Old March 22nd, 2008, 07:35 AM   #2025
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
But people are not paying the actual cost of driving. Infrastructure is degrading quickly and something has to be done. Of course people don't want more taxes, but if they don't want more taxes, then they had better expect their government gifts to start dwindling.
I agree, but certainly not in the current status of the economy...plus the 47 billion dollars that are going overseas to who knows where...
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 07:38 AM   #2026
HAWC1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billpa View Post
Especially on the edge- I think many states use a four inch width on regular two lane roads. Not the greatest thing, for sure- but not the end of the world either.
I also noticed that many states only use Bots Dots as their primary lane marker. There's no paint. Once the dot breaks, it's gone so in some sections of I-90 in Washington, the lane markers are...not there. The new highways I see use 4-inch wide paint with painted rumblers. So the paint actually sticks out of the lane marker to form little bumps. Those are much more clear, but seriously, they are still thin. When it's raining, they're just invisible.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 08:26 AM   #2027
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

The best motorway marking I observed in Nevada - very thick and wide (~20cm). At the same time, it seems to me that Washington has a problem with road paint that doesn't stay on the pavement for too long. For instance, I-90 has some mountain stretches that don't have any lane marking at all, although the concrete pavement shows an obvious lane division. Also, they widened a highway between Pullman and Moscow right before the winter. Now, the winter is gone... and so is paint Well, maybe it was a temporary paint, I don't know since I am not a road engineer.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 03:26 PM   #2028
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Quote:
I also noticed that many states only use Bots Dots as their primary lane marker. There's no paint..
I know that's the case often in California and Texas, but I can't think of anywhere else where that's the case. I've never actually driven anywhere like that myself, so I have no idea how it works. It doesn't look great in pictures- but I've never been critical because I thought perhaps in practice it might work.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 07:33 PM   #2029
Fabisala

Likes (Received): 0

Impressive Insterstate highways, are the best
Fabisala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 07:40 PM   #2030
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Some new Interstate highway photos, this time from Michigan:

I-696 (Michigan's Autobaun):

I-94:

I-475:

Myself and my co-webmaster Dan have been working a lot with Michigan photos lately on our website http://www.Canighways.com/MI/. There are lots of high-resolution photos of some of Michigan's large and interesting freeways. Please have a look at our site.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 07:42 PM   #2031
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

Quote:
I know that's the case often in California and Texas, but I can't think of anywhere else where that's the case. I've never actually driven anywhere like that myself, so I have no idea how it works. It doesn't look great in pictures- but I've never been critical because I thought perhaps in practice it might work.
That's not true in Southern California.

Old March 22nd, 2008, 07:55 PM   #2032
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Quote:
That's not true in Southern California.
OK, I may be basing that on some older photos...
Old March 22nd, 2008, 08:13 PM   #2033
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

But there are some places where the paint is completely worthless, like the East LA interchange. It's been painted and repainted so many times that it's hard to tell which ones you should follow. I guess it's a good thing that there's always traffic there.

Old March 23rd, 2008, 12:42 AM   #2034
HAWC1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
The best motorway marking I observed in Nevada - very thick and wide (~20cm). At the same time, it seems to me that Washington has a problem with road paint that doesn't stay on the pavement for too long. For instance, I-90 has some mountain stretches that don't have any lane marking at all, although the concrete pavement shows an obvious lane division. Also, they widened a highway between Pullman and Moscow right before the winter. Now, the winter is gone... and so is paint Well, maybe it was a temporary paint, I don't know since I am not a road engineer.
Yeah that is true, I've seen some different types of markers used in Washington state, I don't know why they can't keep them consistent.

3 types off the top of my head:

1. Regular paint, often used with bots dots placed on it.
2. A very "glossy" sort of paint that has the painted rumblers. Those come off very easily, especially during winter.
3. Bots dots alone.

Quote:
Yeah I can't either, most places use very nice paint, I don't get why many places don't. Bots Dots come off very quickly, especially with heavy truck traffic or winter weather. It's better to see where the lanes are rather than "feel" them. There's a section of State Route 520 that uses both bots dots, reflectors, AND glossy paint with painted rumblers.

Also what really bugs me is the way the paint is removed. Either they "rub" the paint off the road or the paint is so thick that over time it actually punches a hole into the pavement. Either way, once they remove the old paint, there's a very shallow hole (a few millimeters) that is in the place of the removed pavement markings.

Last edited by HAWC1506; March 23rd, 2008 at 12:51 AM.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 12:53 AM   #2035
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

This kind of marking is very good:

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 01:39 AM   #2036
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
In the Netherlands, we have a slurptax
LMAO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 958 View Post
Add the ever-charming anti-homicide/suicide bridge railing, and surely the apartments in the background charge a hefty premium for such an inspiring view.
Great report again (and yeah, I'm a slow coach too again ). I didn't know these railguards were intended for preventing suicides/murders. Actually, I was never thinking about it.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 02:03 AM   #2037
HAWC1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
This kind of marking is very good:

Yes I like those type of markings. The center dashed lines could be longer though. I don't know if there's a specific purpose to the spacing of the lines, but longer lines and wider spacing gives a calmer look haha, although that would probably lead to increased speeding...I know Washington state has glass beads in their paint to reflect light. I'm not sure if that's the case on the picture you sent me.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 03:01 AM   #2038
HAWC1506

I also noticed how nicely colored European roads are. Roads in the U.S. seem to always have a very noticeable lighter color where the tires normally travel, does anyone have an explanation of that? Do Europeans use some coloring on their roads?
Old March 23rd, 2008, 03:12 AM   #2039
OriK
Usuario Registrado

Likes (Received): 173

^ Here in Spain there are some light gray asphalts too (usually because it's old or it supports heavy traffic), but I've noticed (in photos) that your asphalt is lighter. I haven't seen any US photo with our typical black asphalt.
OriK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 03:19 AM   #2040
hoosier

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
Yeah, everything you stated sure is a problem. I wonder what the solution for urban transportation will be in the future. There has to be a way to eliminate traffic but we don't know what the formula is.

Walking is the slowest and least efficient form of long distance transportation for humans. That's why people used horses in the past and now cars, trains and airplanes. When I go shopping I don't want to have to carry all my belongings 2 miles from the train station when I get off and hope that no one steals my merchandise. It's much better to put that in your car, lock the doors and get back to your house in 10 minutes instead of 2 hours.

What's good for the environment is generally bad and very uncomfortable for humans. The environment might like it better if I walked from Miami to Tampa along Interstate 75 but the same environment might kill me. Mosquitoes, alligators, high heat, potential lightning strikes...etc will all attack you during the possible 6 day journey. Contrast putting a human in a car. Very comfortable, nice seats, a/c, relative safety from the weather and maybe a 2 hour trip is much better than walking.
Are you nuts? I am not talking about walking miles to and from a train station every day, nor am I talking about walking from Miami to Tampa. Keep creating those strawmen arguments. I guess you find it enjoyable to sit in endless traffic jams for hours and hours.

Acid rain, cancer, lead and mercury poisoning, toxic waste dumps, air and water pollution, those are things that are bad for both the environment AND humans. You see, humans need a clean environment as much as any other creature- we are organic organisms that still rely on clean air, water, and food to survive, all of which are not possible when we ignore the environment.
hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban