daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 24th, 2008, 01:14 PM   #2061
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506 View Post
Also, Washington DOT recently introduced the HOT lane. I know it has been used in some other states before. Basically, HOT lanes are HOVs with the added capability of allowing single-occupant vehicles to pay their way into the HOT lane. The fare adjusts according to traffic volume. However, there are designated entrances so vehicles can only enter/exit lanes at certain areas.
DC or state?

What about the 91 express lanes east of Anaheim? They have a fare that is also adjustable to traffic volumes. (the most expensive time can be as high as 10 dollars for 10 miles! )
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 24th, 2008, 05:48 PM   #2062
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

Likes (Received): 38

The only reason California loves their HOV lanes is because they are freeway widening. At least in Los Angeles, mixed-flow lanes cannot be converted to carpool lanes. This was after a situation in the 70s when two lanes of the Santa Monica Freeway were taken away and designated as HOV lanes. People complained, and they got their way. Now there are no carpool lanes on that freeway and any plan to add carpool lanes to a freeway costs about $1 billion. But people here still think that freeway widening will work and that Metro is just good insofar as it decreases road traffic.

"A wicked man puts up a bold front, but an upright man gives thought to his ways." - Proverbs 21: 29
phattonez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 03:01 AM   #2063
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
DC or state?

What about the 91 express lanes east of Anaheim? They have a fare that is also adjustable to traffic volumes. (the most expensive time can be as high as 10 dollars for 10 miles! )
washington state, my bad. I haven't heard about California's system yet, I do know that HOT lanes have been used in many states. I'm not surprised that California uses it. I believe in Washington the fares can range from 1 to 8 dollars. I am not sure about how they measure out the distance.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 03:20 AM   #2064
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 802

Quote:
washington state, my bad. I haven't heard about California's system yet, I do know that HOT lanes have been used in many states. I'm not surprised that California uses it. I believe in Washington the fares can range from 1 to 8 dollars. I am not sure about how they measure out the distance.
Never knew that existed! I remember using the HOV lane in Houston, easy way to escape the traffic jam
Old March 25th, 2008, 03:46 AM   #2065
HAWC1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des View Post
Never knew that existed! I remember using the HOV lane in Houston, easy way to escape the traffic jam
I don't believe Houston has as many cars traveling on highways as California are there?
Old March 25th, 2008, 06:48 AM   #2066
cpm_seattle
On Schedule

Likes (Received): 10

I-90 Hadley & Murrow Bridges

Looking east from Seattle toward Mercer Island across Lake Washington. Floating sections are approx. 1 mile in length (5000-5500 ft; 1500m) and overall length (with approaches) is about 8000 feet/1.5 miles (2500m).

cpm_seattle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 07:49 AM   #2067
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
I don't believe Houston has as many cars traveling on highways as California are there?
I'm not sure what the density is but Houston has frontage/side roads unlike Los Angeles' freeways. If you get caught in a traffic jam in Los Angeles you're stuck. No cutting across the grass or exiting to the frontage road like you can in Houston.

Here in Austin Interstate 35 has 3 main lanes in each direction but if you really look at it the roadway essentially has 6 lanes in each direction because there is also a significant amount of traffic using the frontage roads. Still there are traffic jams but I think frontage roads really help in easing traffic congestion.

I also love that picture of Interstate 90 cpm_seattle. I guess that lake or river doesn't get much boat traffic.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 08:49 AM   #2068
HAWC1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
I'm not sure what the density is but Houston has frontage/side roads unlike Los Angeles' freeways. If you get caught in a traffic jam in Los Angeles you're stuck. No cutting across the grass or exiting to the frontage road like you can in Houston.

Here in Austin Interstate 35 has 3 main lanes in each direction but if you really look at it the roadway essentially has 6 lanes in each direction because there is also a significant amount of traffic using the frontage roads. Still there are traffic jams but I think frontage roads really help in easing traffic congestion.

I also love that picture of Interstate 90 cpm_seattle. I guess that lake or river doesn't get much boat traffic.
The floating bridge goes across a lake. There was a previous floating bridge that sank in the 80s, it was replaced with the new bigger bridge that has a mainline and a reversible carpool lanes. Up North, there is another floating bridge, about 40 years old, on State Route 520 and there are plans to replace it.

Now what I like about the I-90 bridge is that when there's little traffic in the express HOV lanes in the center roadway, people keep right except to pass, which makes it a truly wonderful experience to travel through it. A little disappointed how the concrete isn't completely smooth though. Sure it's a comfortable ride, but the surface tends to get "wavy" with minor vibrations.
Old March 25th, 2008, 05:12 PM   #2069
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19132

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpm_seattle View Post
Looking east from Seattle toward Mercer Island across Lake Washington. Floating sections are approx. 1 mile in length (5000-5500 ft; 1500m) and overall length (with approaches) is about 8000 feet/1.5 miles (2500m).

How this bridge works in bad weather? Are there ever high waves?
Do they use some flexible pavement so it doesn't crack when bridge moves?
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 11:50 PM   #2070
BldgFreak

Likes (Received): 1

This floating bridge is located on a large inland lake (Lake washington) a few miles in from the ocean (pugeot sound). Although the lake gets choppy at times it experiences nowhere near the harsh weather the ocean gets , so designing a bridge tolerant to the hydraulic challenges of a lake (waves, currents etc.) isn't as overdaunting as a challenge as it would be compared to designing the same structure over an exposed sea. The expansion joints are somewhat like a knuckle on your finger where a certain tolerance of movement is allowed on any axis. We have a similar bridge here in kelowna BC that is a floating bridge. It is currently under construction, due to open august 2008. It is 5 lanes and piered in certain spots....but even the piers float on a floating bed.
BldgFreak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 08:24 AM   #2071
sequoias

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Most of the boat traffic passes thru on the other side of Mercer Island which you are looking at in the picture. The bridge is higher and is short pass to the mainland.
sequoias no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 09:41 AM   #2072
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

I have a question about Alaska. Is it possible to drive from Fairbanks to Valdez in one day? And from Valdez to Anchorage?
Old March 26th, 2008, 12:19 PM   #2073
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

I think that is possible, however i think it can take you all day, especially when you want to stop sometimes to check out the stunning scenery.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 12:29 PM   #2074
lena5538
BANNED

Likes (Received): 9

it makes me to sing; "country rooooads, take me hooome, to the place, i belooong"
lena5538 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 02:19 PM   #2075
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

...West Virginia...
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 07:51 PM   #2076
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3706

Quote:
The floating bridge goes across a lake. There was a previous floating bridge that sank in the 80s, it was replaced with the new bigger bridge that has a mainline and a reversible carpool lanes. Up North, there is another floating bridge, about 40 years old, on State Route 520 and there are plans to replace it.

Now what I like about the I-90 bridge is that when there's little traffic in the express HOV lanes in the center roadway, people keep right except to pass, which makes it a truly wonderful experience to travel through it. A little disappointed how the concrete isn't completely smooth though. Sure it's a comfortable ride, but the surface tends to get "wavy" with minor vibrations.

How come people stay to the right except for passing on this bridge and not on other freeways?
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 07:56 PM   #2077
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3706

Has anybody who drove on Interstates lately notice a difference in lane discipline in different freeways in the same metro area? For example, people drive slow on the left on I-695, our orbital freeway and refuse to move to right most of the time yet on I-83, from Baltimore to Harrisburg, people drive fast and move to the right over 90% of the time after passing.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 11:51 PM   #2078
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

Likes (Received): 38

I-210 in California east of the 57 just has terrible drivers. Every lane there goes the same speed, it makes no sense.

Everywhere else in LA that I know of works pretty well, but when I was driving on the 210 west of the 57 everyone was really aggressive, I couldn't believe it. Every time a small opening popped up it was taken, even if that driver would go nowhere.

"A wicked man puts up a bold front, but an upright man gives thought to his ways." - Proverbs 21: 29
phattonez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008, 02:45 AM   #2079
HAWC1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
How come people stay to the right except for passing on this bridge and not on other freeways?
One reason is that there is less traffic. People in Seattle tend to like spacing more than keeping right. If it starts to feel a little crowded then people use the left lane. And generally, Washington freeways are pretty crowded. HOWEVER, many still do not keep right on roads that normally carry high-volume traffic, even if it's at night with a few cars. I don't know if that makes sense haha I'll try to think of a better explanation.

Also, when a couple people start doing it, others follow. When someone's in the left lane alone, I guess they must feel a little outcast so they move right to join their buddies.
Old March 27th, 2008, 04:06 AM   #2080
Galls

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
Can you explain that? Sounds interesting.
Atlanta was also the result of extreme racism, most notably MARTA.

"Moving Africans Rapidly Through Atlanta" Basically the white counties were afraid of decreasing property via "less desirables" moving in.
Galls no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban