daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 10th, 2008, 07:28 AM   #2101
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

About time. They should have these variable speed signs on all highways in the US and Canada.

Sponsored Links
Old April 10th, 2008, 10:19 AM   #2102
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

I don't see the point of variable speed signs. It's a freeway and they should just raise all speed limits to 85mph for cars and trucks. Rural freeways should have no speed limit for cars/light trucks and 85mph for heavy trucks.

60mph is way too slow for a freeway in my opinion.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 11:44 AM   #2103
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
I don't see the point of variable speed signs. It's a freeway and they should just raise all speed limits to 85mph for cars and trucks. Rural freeways should have no speed limit for cars/light trucks and 85mph for heavy trucks.

I agree, these shouldn't be used to control congestion, but should instead be used for weather-related issues/other cautions only. The argument they have is to bring traffic in slower so cars don't pile up quickly. Well if the speed limit was raised, they could get traffic through faster too. I think this is money going to waste. It's a good concept, but a bad execution.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 04:41 PM   #2104
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 749

The faster traffic goes, the faster it enters congestion, the harder it brakes, the bigger the jam......
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 07:06 PM   #2105
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

By that rationale, we should just sit at home all day,lol.

Anyhow, I don't know if the benefits justify the cost. I would think that the traffic flow would dictate speed limits anyhow, unless they use it in a precautionary means, which would piss me off.

If the road slowed down to 30, I might as well take other roads.

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 08:12 PM   #2106
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

We use the system in the Netherlands very extensive, and with good results. It's a way to control a traffic jam, and warning upcoming traffic that a traffic jam is ahead, resulting in fewer accidents, which eventually worsen the T-jam.

Sometimes, it's better to have a variable speed limit, what is often see in Germany, is, that in otherwise quiet freeways, which sometimes have heavy traffic, some people still try to drive 160km/h in busy traffic. With variable speed limits, this kind of traffic jam/sluggish traffic encouraging behaviour can be avoided.

The traffic flow is the best when people drive more or less the same speed.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 08:27 PM   #2107
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Will they use a European style for speed limit signs? Would be awesome. On mountain stretches of I-90 they already have variable speed limits, but those are just textual signs saying "Speed limit XX", and they only depend on weather conditions (rain, snow, ice, etc)

I think that slowing down traffic on a motorway when approaching a traffic congestion could be done by displaying this sign , and not by changing the speed limit.

Last edited by Alex Von Königsberg; April 10th, 2008 at 08:41 PM.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 08:42 PM   #2108
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10376

Quote:

With gasoline and diesel hitting records daily, I don't see this ever happening.

In fact, I think if these records continue in the future, the opposite will happen, like it did in the seventies. I believe that, if gas ever hits $4 or so, the government will lower speed limits.

I heard something here in my state about a state senator pushing to lower the speed limit back to 55 mph (~90 km/h). Until the late 1990s, this was the speed limit in Connecticut, one of the lowest in the country. The bill died, but I think as gas prices continue to rise, these bills will be more common in the future.

BTW: I noticed that truck drivers here in Connecticut are driving a lot slower than they used to before. Then again...they are trying to conserve cost. Some stations are selling diesel close to $4.40/gal ($1.16/liter) now.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 09:26 PM   #2109
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post

I think that slowing down traffic on a motorway when approaching a traffic congestion could be done by displaying this sign , and not by changing the speed limit.
I think seeing a sea of bright red brake lights works well for me. It would be redundant if there was a sign noting congestion ahead. Going into San Antonio on south Interstate 35 there is an electronic sign that flashes "congestion ahead" and it does nothing for you because as you're slowing down seeing that sign flashing you think to yourself "no shit, thanks for the reminder!!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10ROT View Post
With gasoline and diesel hitting records daily, I don't see this ever happening.

In fact, I think if these records continue in the future, the opposite will happen, like it did in the seventies. I believe that, if gas ever hits $4 or so, the government will lower speed limits.

I heard something here in my state about a state senator pushing to lower the speed limit back to 55 mph (~90 km/h). Until the late 1990s, this was the speed limit in Connecticut, one of the lowest in the country. The bill died, but I think as gas prices continue to rise, these bills will be more common in the future.

BTW: I noticed that truck drivers here in Connecticut are driving a lot slower than they used to before. Then again...they are trying to conserve cost. Some stations are selling diesel close to $4.40/gal ($1.16/liter) now.
I think lower speed limits will be costly for everyone because more people would be pulled over. I find it sad when a state of the art Interstate has the same speed limit as a farm road or a city street. Some freeways in San Antonio have a speed limit of 50mph but who in the hell would drive 50mph on a freeway? As for car efficiency I don't think because a car is driving slower it's more efficient. Cars differ in their speed vs. fuel efficiency.

Even with the way gas prices are these days I still drive over the speed limit when I feel like it. Seeing a 55 speed limit sign out in the desert would do absolutely nothing more than frustrate me. If I want to burn more gas driving faster I'd rather be the judge of that, not the U.S. or state government.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 09:33 PM   #2110
Xusein

I would like speed limits to go up too, however, I don't see it happening now of all times.
Old April 11th, 2008, 01:56 AM   #2111
HAWC1506

Quote:
I would like speed limits to go up too, however, I don't see it happening now of all times.
Amen, I think we should just follow Germany and have a recommended speed limit.

But then, the U.S. drivers ed program is such a joke I don't think high speeds will be safe for everyone. Get the grannies out of the passing lane first, then we can start talking about raising limits.
Old April 11th, 2008, 02:56 AM   #2112
hoosier

Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
I think seeing a sea of bright red brake lights works well for me. It would be redundant if there was a sign noting congestion ahead. Going into San Antonio on south Interstate 35 there is an electronic sign that flashes "congestion ahead" and it does nothing for you because as you're slowing down seeing that sign flashing you think to yourself "no shit, thanks for the reminder!!!"

I think lower speed limits will be costly for everyone because more people would be pulled over. I find it sad when a state of the art Interstate has the same speed limit as a farm road or a city street. Some freeways in San Antonio have a speed limit of 50mph but who in the hell would drive 50mph on a freeway? As for car efficiency I don't think because a car is driving slower it's more efficient. Cars differ in their speed vs. fuel efficiency.

Even with the way gas prices are these days I still drive over the speed limit when I feel like it. Seeing a 55 speed limit sign out in the desert would do absolutely nothing more than frustrate me. If I want to burn more gas driving faster I'd rather be the judge of that, not the U.S. or state government.

No one is forcing you to go the speed limit. But if you are caught going over it, then you deserve a punishment. Go ahead and be an idiot and burn more fuel, no one is stopping you.

And yes, engines burn more gas at higher speeds, so driving faster increases fuel consumption. That is an incontrovertible fact.

Freeways have more cars using them and thus have greater congestion, meaning vehicles cannot drive at 90 mph all the time on them.

And the signs warning of congestion often are placed in advance of the actual bottleneck to warn motorists so they don't have to slam on their breaks and endanger the flow of traffic.
hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 02:57 AM   #2113
hoosier

Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506 View Post

"It seems necessary to them (officials)," said driver Steve Massee. "Every year I get property tax increases. Now I know where the money goes."
That guy is a ******* retard. Property taxes don't pay for projects on state and federal highways, fuel taxes do.
hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 07:25 AM   #2114
HAWC1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
That guy is a ******* retard. Property taxes don't pay for projects on state and federal highways, fuel taxes do.
Haha I didn't notice that in the article. I think I've mentioned this before though. Washington State taxes itself on construction projects. So the gas tax dollars that are used to fund construction projects are actually taxed, and the tax goes to other general funds not related to transportation, like schools, healthcare, police/fire, etc. Some people don't support this (republicans), but the democrats are actually fighting to keep this "double-tax." What a waste of fuel tax...
Old April 11th, 2008, 07:53 AM   #2115
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
I can't believe you have never experienced a situation where you bump into an unexpected traffic jam and have to use emergency braking not to slam into a car in front of you. In California it happened quite often. "Sea of red light" may not be enough to warn you that you have to start braking RIGHT NOW, and a lot of rear-end collisions happen because people underestimate the speed difference between them and a traffic jam ahead. In Germany, for instance, those who spot traffic jam early turn on their emergency lights to warn vehicles behind to be prepared to slow down or stop. I do it regularly, but in the USA I have seen others doing it only 3 times in 7 years.

As for the warning sign, like hoosier said, it would be displayed ahead of the congestion and would show an approximate distance to it.
Old April 11th, 2008, 08:07 AM   #2116
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3705

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
No one is forcing you to go the speed limit. But if you are caught going over it, then you deserve a punishment. Go ahead and be an idiot and burn more fuel, no one is stopping you.

And yes, engines burn more gas at higher speeds, so driving faster increases fuel consumption. That is an incontrovertible fact.

Freeways have more cars using them and thus have greater congestion, meaning vehicles cannot drive at 90 mph all the time on them.

And the signs warning of congestion often are placed in advance of the actual bottleneck to warn motorists so they don't have to slam on their breaks and endanger the flow of traffic.
We waste lot of gas anyway.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 03:43 PM   #2117
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:

Netherlands:

Diesel: $ 1.86/liter -> $ 7 gallon
Gas: $ 2.4/liter -> $ 9.1/gallon

You guys still have a long way to go

And nobody in the Netherlands is driving slower or less to compensate for high fuel prices.
Old April 11th, 2008, 03:44 PM   #2118
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:

Netherlands:

Diesel: $ 1.86/liter -> $ 7 gallon
Gas: $ 2.4/liter -> $ 9.1/gallon

You guys still have a long way to go

And nobody in the Netherlands is driving slower or less to compensate for high fuel prices.
Old April 11th, 2008, 05:17 PM   #2119
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 749

It's a far cry from 8 years ago when petrol (in the US) was 1/4 of the price as in Holland. Proportionately the increases in the US have been far higher than in Europe.
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 02:57 AM   #2120
Xusein

LOL. 8 years ago, you could have filled a car for less than $20!

Now, it would cost almost 50 dollars.

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban