daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 12th, 2008, 05:35 AM   #2121
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

Likes (Received): 38

Increased speed limit means more maintenance, and the gas taxes aren't high enough for that. It'll never happen unless we change our thinking in this country.

"A wicked man puts up a bold front, but an upright man gives thought to his ways." - Proverbs 21: 29
phattonez no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 12th, 2008, 05:47 AM   #2122
Galls

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
That guy is a ******* retard. Property taxes don't pay for projects on state and federal highways, fuel taxes do.

Gas tax only pays for %60 of the interstate system, it is not completely paid for by user fees. Even then they still want to raise the federal tax $.40 per gallon to pay for deferred maintenance.
Galls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 06:17 AM   #2123
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Seeing how the majority of the US population is against new petrol taxes, I think the alternative would be introducing vignettes or other methods of payment.
Old April 12th, 2008, 11:40 AM   #2124
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

I don't see the use why normal cars need 3L engines anyway. They only consume more fuel. I have a 1.4 L hatchback, and you can drive perfectly fine with that. If you want more power, you can get a 1.8 or 2 liter engine, but ofcourse, bigger engines are available too.

If i check a car sales site, i see the average Buick has a 3.8 L engine. Older type Cadillacs even have a 4.5 L engine, or above. Chrysler is doing a bit better with an average 2.7 L engine. Older Fords also have a 4.0 L engine.

These are usually sedans or small SUV's. I mean, what's the use of putting a 3.8 Liter engine in a sedan?

If you drive cars with a smaller engine, say somewhere between 1.3 and 2.0, you can perhaps save half the costs of fueling, without having much difference in driving on the freeway or urban roads.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 10:41 PM   #2125
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
I don't see the use why normal cars need 3L engines anyway. They only consume more fuel. I have a 1.4 L hatchback, and you can drive perfectly fine with that. If you want more power, you can get a 1.8 or 2 liter engine, but ofcourse, bigger engines are available too.

If i check a car sales site, i see the average Buick has a 3.8 L engine. Older type Cadillacs even have a 4.5 L engine, or above. Chrysler is doing a bit better with an average 2.7 L engine. Older Fords also have a 4.0 L engine.

These are usually sedans or small SUV's. I mean, what's the use of putting a 3.8 Liter engine in a sedan?

If you drive cars with a smaller engine, say somewhere between 1.3 and 2.0, you can perhaps save half the costs of fueling, without having much difference in driving on the freeway or urban roads.
A 2.0L Turbo Diesel VW is suh-weet with crazy gas mileage Automakers are starting to notice that bigger isn't always better now. I believe GM's Cadillac CTS does not offer a V8, but only a V6 that has the performance of a V8. To be specific, it's a 3.6L Direct Injection V6 that produces 304 horsepower. Of course that is one of the higher end vehicles and I believe Cadillac is making the right decision by not offering a V8. Lower-end vehicles like GM's redesigned Chevy Malibu offers a 2.4L 4-cylinder with 169 hp. I say that's sufficient for everyday driving.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 10:47 PM   #2126
ChrisZwolle
Road user

169 hp is still a lot. I have a 65 hp car, and have no problem getting around with traffic. However, it's not a very fast car, and i rather have a 80/90 hp car. I refueled today, and i did 35 miles on one gallon of petrol. How about that.
Old April 12th, 2008, 10:57 PM   #2127
Alex Von Königsberg

Chris got a point - no sedans need an engine larger than 2 litres. I used to have a 1.3L hatchback, and although its speedometer ended at 140 km/h, it could easily drive faster than that.
Old April 13th, 2008, 02:41 AM   #2128
HAWC1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
Chris got a point - no sedans need an engine larger than 2 litres. I used to have a 1.3L hatchback, and although its speedometer ended at 140 km/h, it could easily drive faster than that.
How does it do on hills and snow?
Old April 13th, 2008, 02:56 AM   #2129
Alex Von Königsberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506 View Post
How does it do on hills and snow?
I don't know about the snow because there was no snow in California As for the hills (mountains really), it had enough power (65 hp) to get from Sacramento to Reno via Donner Pass (2,203 m) in exactly the same time as my current car (145hp).
Old April 13th, 2008, 05:13 AM   #2130
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
Seeing how the majority of the US population is against new petrol taxes, I think the alternative would be introducing vignettes or other methods of payment.
Here, our fuel taxes are going up in July...the sales tax of fuel is going up from 7% to 7.5%. Not much of a difference (just two more cents), but the public really can't do much about it. The government won't be shelving it because they would lose almost $25 million from this, and our budget surplus is shrinking.

Connecticut will have a total fuel tax of 64.3 cents/gal. Not much compared to most places in the world, but it may be the highest in the nation come July. Surprisingly, our gas prices are not the highest (although among the highest in the East Coast and over 25 cents higher than Massachusetts)...so this time around, it's not the taxes that's making prices go up for once
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 11:28 AM   #2131
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post

Bigger engines are supposed to help men get laid by more women and hotter women. All a man really needs to get around these days is a small motor bike or hatchback car but to really impress the ladies he'd rather get a 12 cylinder 6.0 L vehicle that roars and rumbles and has all the comforts of home inside.

Humans like to have power in their hands although it doesn't make sense to have it all the time. Cost saving and fuel efficiency is not sexy.

Lame but efficient:

Cool but wasteful is the name of the game:

Last edited by FM 2258; April 13th, 2008 at 11:38 AM.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 05:32 PM   #2132
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10378

^ Wow. Do people still think driving an Excursion is cool?
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 09:40 PM   #2133
HAWC1506

I'd hate to be driving a Smart and getting into an accident with a Tahoe/Excursion...Well I guess the speed limit here would be beneficial to my safety if I were in the Smart...
Old April 13th, 2008, 09:52 PM   #2134
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Well, a Smart is completely the opposite of an SUV, like black and white. There is a whole grey area inbetween. Like, sedans, hatchbacks, stationwagons, MPV's, etc.

I would never drive in a Smart, indeed too dangerous in an accident, especially with trucks.
Old April 13th, 2008, 10:55 PM   #2135
ChrisZwolle
Road user

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Pretty large Pano, i think it's the 605 in the center.
image hosted on flickr

105/110 interchange
image hosted on flickr

110 near downtown
image hosted on flickr

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; April 13th, 2008 at 11:05 PM.
Old April 14th, 2008, 06:51 AM   #2136
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

That last picture is not near downtown, it is downtown.

And that pano pic really focuses on on the 210 and the 2. It's kinda hard to make out the other freeways there.

"A wicked man puts up a bold front, but an upright man gives thought to his ways." - Proverbs 21: 29
Old April 14th, 2008, 09:15 AM   #2137
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by phattonez View Post

And that pano pic really focuses on on the 210 and the 2. It's kinda hard to make out the other freeways there.
Alright, i already had that feeling that the freeway was too close to downtown (the 605 is further east).
Old April 14th, 2008, 07:55 PM   #2138
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-12 during hurricane Katrina:
Old April 15th, 2008, 12:54 PM   #2139
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The East LA Interchange has 444,400 vehicles a day. (5 directions accumulated divided by 2.5)

Latest 405 traffic volume is still 390,000 vehicles a day, with a peak of 417,000 vehicles a day. Peak hour has 28,000 vehicles, which is 14 lanes filled to capacity (the 405 has 12 lanes there). In 2003, that was 382,000 vehicles a day, an increase of 8,000 vehicles in 4 years or an average of 2,000 vehicles a year, which is only 0.5%, very low.
Old April 16th, 2008, 07:56 AM   #2140
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

What is responsible for such low increase in traffic along that corridor?

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban