daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 16th, 2008, 08:28 AM   #2141
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
What is responsible for such low increase in traffic along that corridor?
I would think that it is because it is operating at its throughput limit.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2008, 12:11 PM   #2142
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Indeed, and the area almost completely build-up, so there's no room for new development which generates new traffic. Orange county is also quite full. 390,000 vehicles on 12 lanes means the freeway is operating 15 hours a day at it's capacity, which is extremely high.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 12:22 AM   #2143
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
The East LA Interchange has 444,400 vehicles a day. (5 directions accumulated divided by 2.5)

Latest 405 traffic volume is still 390,000 vehicles a day, with a peak of 417,000 vehicles a day. Peak hour has 28,000 vehicles, which is 14 lanes filled to capacity (the 405 has 12 lanes there). In 2003, that was 382,000 vehicles a day, an increase of 8,000 vehicles in 4 years or an average of 2,000 vehicles a year, which is only 0.5%, very low.
That's interesting. You can only fit so many cars which is pretty much what mgk920 pointed out. I wonder what the real solution is then. There has to be a way to eliminate traffic in big cities and make it so that everyone can get to their destinations quickly and efficiently.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 03:01 AM   #2144
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

Likes (Received): 38

It seems kind of hard to believe to me that with all the new development in the Antelope Valley that traffic on the 405 would not be increasing too much. Most of those people are commuters, and they'll probably either work in the SFV, the Westside, or downtown/Hollywood. Are these people just not driving at peak hours?

"A wicked man puts up a bold front, but an upright man gives thought to his ways." - Proverbs 21: 29
phattonez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 09:13 AM   #2145
ChrisZwolle
Road user

We're talking about the 405 section near Seal Beach here. That's pretty much too far south for commuting from the Antelope Valley or the Inland Empire.
Old April 17th, 2008, 06:26 PM   #2146
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

Likes (Received): 38

Oh, I thought we were talking about the 405 through West LA. I don't know much about traffic down there near Seal Beach, but I've always thought that the 405 through West LA was the most congested. And now the traffic along there is going to increase with the widening from the 91 to the 101 (roughly).

"A wicked man puts up a bold front, but an upright man gives thought to his ways." - Proverbs 21: 29
phattonez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 09:39 PM   #2147
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The 405 in Westside and around Sepulveda Pass isn't as busy as many think, the busiest point is near Santa Monica Blvd with 308,000 AADT. The volumes around Mulholland Drive are around 270,000 - 280,000 vehicles a day. That means, the capacity is fully taken during 14 hours a day. That's still pretty much.

The problem i think with the 405 is that there are very few alternatives between the San Fernando Valley, and the suburbs up to Ventura along the 101, towards the Westside and job locations around LAX. All traffic has to cross the Santa Monica Mountains, and the only reasonable way to do that is the 405, and maybe the 101 if you need to go to downtown.

The 5 is being widened, because it has only 6 lanes, and is a major bottleneck. The problem is the connecting roads (the 10 and 91) cannot take any more traffic. There is usually a long traffic jam outbound (westbound) on the 10 from Downtown during the morning rushhour, which is quite remarkable, since most TJ's tend to be focussed towards downtown and around higher ed job locations in O.C.
Old April 19th, 2008, 08:18 PM   #2148
ChrisZwolle
Road user

San Antonio is one of the least known major cities outside the USA. It has 1.3 million inhabitants, and is located in Southern Texas.

I-10 in San Antonio
image hosted on flickr

I-410 in San Antonio

image hosted on flickr

Interchange in San Antonio
image hosted on flickr
Old April 19th, 2008, 10:59 PM   #2149
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
San Antonio is one of the least known major cities outside the USA. It has 1.3 million inhabitants, and is located in Southern Texas.
Do you mean "one of the least known major cities inside the USA"?
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 11:14 PM   #2150
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I said outside.

San Antonio is not well known, like New York, Los Angeles or Houston, in Europe. Maybe it's also not wellknown inside the USA as a major (pop 1,000,000+) city.
Old April 19th, 2008, 11:32 PM   #2151
hoosier

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
I said outside.

San Antonio is not well known, like New York, Los Angeles or Houston, in Europe. Maybe it's also not wellknown inside the USA as a major (pop 1,000,000+) city.
No, it is well known. Its NBA team, the Spurs, have won 4 championships over the past decade, and the Alamo is located in the center city, which was the site of a famous battle in the war for Texan independence.
hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 12:52 AM   #2152
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
I said outside.

Hehe, like HAWC1506, I was also confused by your introduction at first. He meant that it sounds like you are saying that San Antonio is not inside the United States "... by people outside the USA" would be clearer
Old April 20th, 2008, 01:07 AM   #2153
Galls

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
No, it is well known. Its NBA team, the Spurs, have won 4 championships over the past decade, and the Alamo is located in the center city, which was the site of a famous battle in the war for Texan independence.

And might I ad, from the pictures, it looks like a fabulous place to live.
Galls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 08:20 AM   #2154
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
Hehe, like HAWC1506, I was also confused by your introduction at first. He meant that it sounds like you are saying that San Antonio is not inside the United States "... by people outside the USA" would be clearer
Haha now I don't feel like a loner. Glad we got that figured out haha
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 11:01 PM   #2155
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4266

For anyone interested, I-95 is being widened here in Delaware between exits 4 (Delaware Route 1) and 5 (I-295) from 4 lanes to 5 lanes. The widening is to account for the massive amount of traffic where I-95 and I-295 (New Jersey Turnpike traffic) split or merge, depending on the direction. Commuters from places like Bear and Middletown take Delaware Route 1 up to I-95, then take I-95 into Wilmington, and so the combination of inter-state traffic and commuters has made this project the #1 priority road project in Delaware.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 11:06 PM   #2156
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Any plans to extend that SR-1 tollway further south than Dover?
Old April 21st, 2008, 03:45 AM   #2157
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
(fantasy mode = ON)
Heck, why not build a bridge-tunnel crossing between Lewes, DE and Cape May, NJ?
(fantasy mode = OFF)

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 06:44 AM   #2158
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
(fantasy mode = ON)
Heck, why not build a bridge-tunnel crossing between Lewes, DE and Cape May, NJ?
(fantasy mode = OFF)

Mike
In your Dreams Gov. Corzine wants to close 8 state Parks and sell the states major tollways to Major Coporate owners to close the budget gap. I don't he'll ive want to think on spending between 1 to 9 billion on a bridge-tunnel between Delaware & Southern New Jersey.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 06:56 AM   #2159
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10381

He was kidding, I believe.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 05:54 PM   #2160
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4266

Quote:
Yes, although no formal plans for construction have been made so far. It shouldn't be too hard to do, since Route 1 from Dover AFB to Milford is a surface highway with very few cross-streets; the only problem is giving access to other roads for the few people that live on Route 1. These plans really hinge on the building of the Route 113 expressway from Milford south to the maryland line, though.

I actually mentioned this Route 113 project in the non-Interstate thread a couple weeks ago. It wouldn't be an Interstate or anything, so I put it in there with other non-Interstate expressway projects in Delaware.

I should clarify that when I said that I-95 is being expanded from 4 to 5 lanes, I meant that it was adding that lane in both directions. It will go from a total of 8 lanes to 10 lanes.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban