daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 12th, 2006, 08:03 PM   #201
Jue
Perception

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayenne
Why do the Americans call themselves "the greatest country in the world", when they can't even maintain the roads that were paved decades ago?.I have never seen such pothole ridden roads anywhere else in the world.Maybe Africa!.Talk about dodgy infrastructure!.The poor colored folk of New Orleans will tell you a lot about the dam that burst through their town.The Americans build cars stronger than the cardboard palaces that they live in!!.Almost every state in America has dodgy roads.They're no different from any other third world country.
Third world countries don't have extensive freeway networks. The end.
Jue no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 12th, 2006, 08:24 PM   #202
nysgreg

Quote:
Why do the Americans call themselves "the greatest country in the world", when they can't even maintain the roads that were paved decades ago?.I have never seen such pothole ridden roads anywhere else in the world.Maybe Africa!.Talk about dodgy infrastructure!.The poor colored folk of New Orleans will tell you a lot about the dam that burst through their town.The Americans build cars stronger than the cardboard palaces that they live in!!.Almost every state in America has dodgy roads.They're no different from any other third world country.
What is the National Highway System?

It is approximately 160,000 miles (256,000 kilometers) of roadway important to the nation's economy, defense, and mobility. The National Highway System (NHS) includes the following subsystems of roadways (note that a specific highway route may be on more than one subsystem):

We also made it clear that NHS is not another system of interstate highways. In fact, beyond the interstate segment, NHS consists mostly of existing two-lane roads, and about 98 percent of all roads in NHS already have been built. Yet those roads are vital. The 256,000 kilometers (km) of NHS include only 4 percent of the nationƒs roads, but they carry more than 40 percent of all highway traffic, 75 percent of heavy truck traffic, and 90 percent of tourist traffic.

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/hep10/nhs/
http://www.tfhrc.gov/pubrds/spring96/p96sp2.htm

must be real hard for third world countries to maintain that 3 mile, 2 interchange highway system they have SMH
nysgreg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2006, 01:38 AM   #203
gronier
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jue
Third world countries don't have extensive freeway networks. The end.
But developed coutries have their freeway system in good shape.
gronier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2006, 01:57 AM   #204
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by gronier
But developed coutries have their freeway system in good shape.
There seems to be a misconception of non-American forumers that the US's highway network is falling apart. It isn't. Lots of routes do need resurfacing, and the network has some real ugly spots, but it is still a very impressive network generally filled with good quality roads that generally well suit there traffic needs.

Cheers.
sonysnob está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2006, 02:36 PM   #205
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob
There seems to be a misconception of non-American forumers that the US's highway network is falling apart. It isn't. Lots of routes do need resurfacing, and the network has some real ugly spots, but it is still a very impressive network generally filled with good quality roads that generally well suit there traffic needs.

Cheers.
Yup

Ohio probably has thousands of miles of expressways that are in pristine condition, and perhaps 50 or so miles in the downtown areas that are banged up due to heavy traffic, but the folks here will probably fixate on the latter.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2006, 12:51 AM   #206
charitorae

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
..Because of course, the greatness of a country is always based on the upkeep and quality of their roads. Right.
charitorae no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2006, 03:59 AM   #207
Saab
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
dickhead.
Saab no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2006, 01:43 PM   #208
firmanhadi
Urban Addict

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Yeah, all of us should go to India and learn how they keep their highways and infrastructure in tip-top shape.

I prefer drawing to talking. Drawing is faster, and leaves less room for lies -- Le Corbusier
firmanhadi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2006, 10:03 PM   #209
cayenne
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

You can fool only some of the people some of the time...How long will the American propaganda machine fool the American people into thinking they're living in the "greatest country in the world"?.This is a country where they nail thin slats of plywood to sheets of cardboard, slap some paint on the cardboard , some plasticky tiles and decorations and call the structure a house for which Americans pay millions of dollars to own.Who's fooling who?.Come a little wind and rain, there goes Mr. and Mrs. America's wordly possessions down the street for all to see!.This is where the Soviets lost out.Their propaganda machine was nowhere near the Americans'.Now it's the Americans turn.The Emperor is fast losing his clothes, it seems!!.Not that i'm gloating.It is unfortunate that it is so.....

This is an example of an indian expressway.Let the picture speak for itself....

cayenne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2006, 10:10 PM   #210
ChicagoSkyline
BANNED

Location: Chicago[Naperville-SW Suburb] + Miami[Miami Beach & South Beach]
Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
You can fool only some of the people some of the time...How long will the American propaganda machine fool the American people into thinking they're living in the "greatest country in the world"?.This is a country where they nail thin slats of plywood to sheets of cardboard, slap some paint on the cardboard , some plasticky tiles and decorations and call the structure a house for which Americans pay millions of dollars to own.Who's fooling who?.Come a little wind and rain, there goes Mr. and Mrs. America's wordly possessions down the street for all to see!.This is where the Soviets lost out.Their propaganda machine was nowhere near the Americans'.Now it's the Americans turn.The Emperor is fast losing his clothes, it seems!!.Not that i'm gloating.It is unfortunate that it is so.....

So what is your point?
That India has better highway condition than US because where you have been and suffer with?
Come on, don't come here bashing away a country where you don't know much and best of all, never driven every part in US, because I can tell you by looking at that pic of yours, even the pavement in Illinois are 10 times better!
ChicagoSkyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2006, 10:26 PM   #211
ChicagoSkyline
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob

Cheers.
Thank you!
I can tell you that here in Illinois where I have driven alot on highway and interstate highway between the cities of Illinois. Their condition are very well done until you get to the biggest metro area in Illinois. The condition of chicagoland highway certainly can't be compare to rest part of illinois where highway are tough to maintain, repair or even rebuilt due to the amount of traffic day in and day out. But as you drive out of NE part of metro area, the highway condition are unbelieablily new due and this is the majority case for about 70% of highway that are exlcuding chicago area!
Old April 16th, 2006, 10:27 PM   #212
Jue
Perception

Cayenne, just get out of here. I can make better time on a horse than a car on Mumbai streets.

Are there any highway reconstruction plans for Chicago? Here in Houston all the highways are being rebuilt and widened one by one.
Old April 16th, 2006, 10:44 PM   #213
ChicagoSkyline
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jue
Cayenne, just get out of here. I can make better time on a horse than a car on Mumbai streets.

Are there any highway reconstruction plans for Chicago? Here in Houston all the highways are being rebuilt and widened one by one.
LOL, I am pretty sure that here in US, we don't allow horse on highway!

Yea, TONS are going on right about this time of year especially inter city highway! I am living in the burb so whenever there is construction going on, you can be sure the traffic condition is near to the halt to chicago and between! But in order to keep drivers safe and happy(particularly for the people like "CAYENNE"), that is what need to be done almost every year due to the snow.
We do have some widened here in the naperville area due to the dramatic population increase and travlers to chicago on the I-88, I-80 and I-55, i am sure there are also alot going on in other suburban highways toward chicago.
But for chicago, it is quite hard to widen due to restriction to the housing area and industries.
I know in Houston, highway are very wide and continue to widen,lol! That certainly isn't the case for chicago!

Last edited by ChicagoSkyline; April 16th, 2006 at 10:57 PM.
Old April 16th, 2006, 10:52 PM   #214
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:

Hey smart ass do you notice anything about that picture its really hard to find notice the nothingness around the highway and the 7 cars and a bus driving on an almost empty three lane highway, now how about this picture average tampa traffic around 5pm. They are upgrading it because its outdated and you see the traffic it causes its the same kind of highway 6 lanes but notice something maybe um a city around it and the second picture its 8 lane but still you see the point.

BTW my house is made of concrete blocks so do some research before sayin the whole country does some thing a certain way. Also show me some pictures of the roads in Bangledesh or a major city in India where its a crowded cluster**** and there are no red lights or lanes, not some rural highway because i can get pictures of a highway outside a major city in florida where its fresh clean asphalt and smooth as can get. See you cant pave over a road when thousands of cars keep going over it we need to maintain an infrastructure closing the lanes makes things worse.

Last edited by I-275westcoastfl; April 16th, 2006 at 11:01 PM.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2006, 11:12 PM   #215
ChicagoSkyline
BANNED

Here are some of the inter city highway, mostly from the burb toward chicago...enjoy! (Notice: no horse was harm in the process of capturing in the photo)

Typical rush hour here in naperville towards chicago on I-88

some minor construction on I-294 during the nice weather season

There u go, my neck of woods,lol

This is one particular ramp that I use most often to get off I-88, as you can see it being widen even more

I-88 is a toll way, so with the help of I-Pass technology, drivers able to save TONS of tavle time

Last edited by ChicagoSkyline; April 16th, 2006 at 11:18 PM.
Old April 16th, 2006, 11:45 PM   #216
ChicagoSkyline
BANNED

Here are some chicago highway, noctice the crowdedness of traffic and surrounding on and off the highway!

Chicago highway system in 1996

Old April 16th, 2006, 11:49 PM   #217
Jue
Perception

Eek, those highways seem rather narrow for all the people that live in Chicago.

I'm used to the titanic concrete eyesores here. We already have two 10-lane ones, a 12-lane one, and are building a 16-lane one. :x
Old April 16th, 2006, 11:56 PM   #218
ChicagoSkyline
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jue
Eek, those highways seem rather narrow for all the people that live in Chicago.

I'm used to the titanic concrete eyesores here. We already have two 10-lane ones, a 12-lane one, and are building a 16-lane one. :x
I know,lol! Texas loves everything "BIG", the bigger is better there!

Here in chicago, we gotta be smart and yet be efficient, so the patience come into play until we get our 12 lanes in every chicago highway! majority of them are around 8-10 lanes. The largest I ever see are 16 lanes in chicago!
Old April 17th, 2006, 12:18 AM   #219
cayenne
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

I-275westcoastfl.....

I do not know anything about Bangladesh.I live in India.Certain areas in New York city do resemble photos of Bangladesh i have seen.I do plan to visit there sometime soon.

But here is an example of an inner city road/freeways in India....This is in New Delhi/National Capital Region....

Cheers!.....

[img]
cayenne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 12:25 AM   #220
drwho
slacker oui!

cayenne> this thread is about US highways _only_

you have got warnings before and this is your last time

JL Racing
drwho no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban