daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 2nd, 2008, 04:16 AM   #2341
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
Due to their historical isolationism, Americans are more conservative (i.e. unwillingness to learn something new even if it will provide benefits in the long run).
EXACTLY! I've been living in Washington for 9 years and I have not seen any improvements in our infrastructure. There is a perfectly good system across the pond in Europe and Americans just don't have the will to adopt it.

Another pet peeve of mine is that when contractors are bidding for construction, WSDOT will pick the cheapest option, even if a slightly more expensive option will use better quality material and do a better job.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 2nd, 2008, 08:15 AM   #2342
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3706

The Maryland Department of Transportation is currently reconstructing 10 of miles of I-95; between I-895 interchange in east Baltimore and Winker St north of White Marsh and rebuliding I-695/95 interchange past Rosedale. The project adds two express toll lanes to each direction, new interchanges, and new bridges. Here is the website for project:http://www.i-95expresstolllanes.com/.

Last edited by LtBk; June 7th, 2008 at 10:02 AM.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 09:20 AM   #2343
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Those toll lanes seems to be increasingly popular.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 09:24 AM   #2344
LtBk

I personally think MDOT(Maryland Department of Transportation) should build express toll lanes from Baltimore to D.C.

Last edited by LtBk; June 2nd, 2008 at 09:32 AM.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 09:25 AM   #2345
ChrisZwolle
Road user

In the center of the Baltimore-Washington Parkway? Seems to be that there is plenty of room there.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 09:29 AM   #2346
LtBk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
In the center of the Baltimore-Washington Parkway? Seems to be that there is plenty of room there.
I was talking about I-95, but that could work too.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 10:12 AM   #2347
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
I was talking about I-95, but that could work too.
Tolls on 95 between DC and Baltimore? Jeez traffic around here is bad enough, i dont think the area needs the toll construction or the extra backups it may cause because people A. Dont have a smart tag or B.cant add change.
en1044 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 12:49 PM   #2348
ChrisZwolle
Road user

You mean some kind of construction like on the SR-267 in Virginia (Dulles Toll Road). Outer lanes are toll lanes there, and inner lanes to the airport are toll free.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 08:54 PM   #2349
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
The BWP is owned and operated by the U.S. Department of the Interior - National Park Service as a national park parkway (much like the Blue Ridge Parkway) and has a rigorously enforced fairly slow speed limit. They'll likely never agree to any upgrades. BTW, it is closed to all trucks, too.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 10:41 PM   #2350
gannman1975

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
Tolls on 95 between DC and Baltimore? Jeez traffic around here is bad enough, i dont think the area needs the toll construction or the extra backups it may cause because people A. Dont have a smart tag or B.cant add change.
The Interchange between I-95 and I-695 is going to be a monster stack. I drive through it every now an again and it dwarfs the existing interchange by a long shot. Don't hold me to this, but the highest ramps look to be about as high as the ones in Springfield VA at the least. Not quite Dallas High-Five, but big nonetheless. As for the toll lanes, they will be restricted to EZ Pass holders only - drive on them without one and you'll get a pretty picture of your car and maybe a hefty bill (toll plus penalty charges).
gannman1975 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 10:44 PM   #2351
gannman1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
The BWP is owned and operated by the U.S. Department of the Interior - National Park Service as a national park parkway (much like the Blue Ridge Parkway) and has a rigorously enforced fairly slow speed limit. They'll likely never agree to any upgrades. BTW, it is closed to all trucks, too.

Mike
Maybe they need to E-toll the parkway as is, since there is no chance in heck they will widen the road south of MD Route 175. But, like Mike said about the National Park Service, that probably won't happen either. Traffic on that road can be a mess at any given time (just like any other, I'm sure) - you can go 2 miles at 65mph then have to suddenly slow to 15mph in a blink.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 10:59 PM   #2352
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The Parkway is operating at full capacity, carrying near 100,000 vehicles per day, which is pretty much the maximum AADT one can see at 2x2 freeways.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 05:26 AM   #2353
hoosier

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyunltd View Post
My only gripe with the US Interstates is the really big gap that exists between the two paved sections. It is really ugly. They should stick both paved sections together and put a concrete barrier or a crash barrier (metal thingy) in the middle to separate both directions.

This saves a lot of land space and on maintenance (not having to mow the lawn or cut the trees in between).

Why don't they do it in the USA/Canada?

Furthermore, they should really change the fonts that they use on highway signage (mainly exits signs). It's not that it's ugly, but I truly prefer what the Europeans use. Also, the green is really boring, put on some blue for a change.

Finally, they really should do like France and Italy in the sense that they really should cut down on the numbers of toll booths/stations. One or two is enough on a 200 or 300-mile section of a tollway.
Having a grassy median between the two sections allows for easier widening of the road in the future.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 05:36 AM   #2354
Bori427

Likes (Received): 1808

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyunltd View Post
My only gripe with the US Interstates is the really big gap that exists between the two paved sections
To add more lanes later on???
Bori427 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 08:26 AM   #2355
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
You mean some kind of construction like on the SR-267 in Virginia (Dulles Toll Road). Outer lanes are toll lanes there, and inner lanes to the airport are toll free.
Personally i think the Dulles Toll Road is a joke. It paid itself off long ago and now stands as a problem. Yes it still provides money but many people dont take it because its in the northern part of Fairfax County and because they just dont want to pay. This causes major delays (at least more than there should be) on I66 and the beltway. It should be turned into a regular highway, but I dont see that happening soon.
en1044 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 08:30 AM   #2356
LtBk

On the topic of Maryland freeways, the MDOT should upgrade the entire Ocean Gateway stretch of U.S 50(from Queenstown after it splits off from US 301 few miles after exiting the Bay Bridge to Ocean City) to full freeway standards since it has several at grade intersections and a ridiculous low speed limit off 55mph that is strictly enforced during the holiday seasons. Upgrading it to a 2x3 would be good idea too.

Last edited by LtBk; June 7th, 2008 at 10:06 AM.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 08:36 AM   #2357
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
On the topic of Maryland freeways, the MDOT should upgrade the entire Ocean Gateway stretch of U.S 50(from Queenstown,MD after splitting off from US 301 after the Bay Bridge to Ocean City) to full freeway standards since it has several at grade intersections and a ridiculous low speed limit off 55mph that is strictly enforced during the holiday seasons. Upgrading it to a 2x3 would be good idea too.
What about the police revenues? We cannot cut that off. It would be inhumane to the state and to law enforcement.

They NEED our money.
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 04:14 PM   #2358
gannman1975

Quote:
On the topic of Maryland freeways, the MDOT should upgrade the entire Ocean Gateway stretch of U.S 50(from Queenstown,MD after splitting off from US 301 after the Bay Bridge to Ocean City) to full freeway standards since it has several at grade intersections and a ridiculous low speed limit off 55mph that is strictly enforced during the holiday seasons. Upgrading it to a 2x3 would be good idea too.

Not a bad idea...but it would be next to impossible to bypass Easton and Cambridge since you can't punch a freeway through these built-up areas in the same vein they did with the Kent Island stretch. And, at least, bypassing Cambridge would put the road halfway to Denton. 404 on the other hand, should be dualled it's entire length as it should've been done in the first place - that road is plagued with nasty head-ons.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 04:53 PM   #2359
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
Having a grassy median between the two sections allows for easier widening of the road in the future.
I agree. Wide medians are what I love about Interstates. Usually the wider the better because like you said the highway can easily be expanded inward and the less direct headlights you get in your face.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 04:58 PM   #2360
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Too bad we didn't do that enough in the Netherlands, however, our freeways are based on the US ones (except the oldest, which were based on the German ones, though they all have been upgraded).

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban