daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 17th, 2006, 12:34 AM   #221
Jue
Perception

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoSkyline
I know,lol! Texas loves everything "BIG", the bigger is better there!

Here in chicago, we gotta be smart and yet be efficient, so the patience come into play until we get our 12 lanes in every chicago highway! majority of them are around 8-10 lanes. The largest I ever see are 16 lanes in chicago!
How is Chicago's commuter rail service? I have heard many positive remarks about the rail network there. Over here, I don't think people know what trains are, beyond Thomas the Tank Engine.

Here's the 16-lane behemoth we're building:

All that space in the middle will be lanes.
Jue no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2006, 12:40 AM   #222
ChicagoSkyline
BANNED

Location: Chicago[Naperville-SW Suburb] + Miami[Miami Beach & South Beach]
Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jue
How is Chicago's commuter rail service? I have heard many positive remarks about the rail network there. Over here, I don't think people know what trains are, beyond Thomas the Tank Engine.

Yep, with the help of our METRA commuter trains that constantly running in and out between chicago union stations and its distant suburban cities, it has been greatly percieive as best alternative on driving to chicago!
It isn't just cutting down on commuting time, it also saves tons on the gas spending as well!
I think that chicago region is trying really hard to upgrade its existing railway system. I am hoping something like the bullet train of Tokyo near future!
ChicagoSkyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 12:51 AM   #223
Jue
Perception

Quote:
Yep, with the help of our METRA commuter trains that constantly running in and out between chicago union stations and its distant suburban cities, it has been greatly percieive as best alternative on driving to chicago!
It isn't just cutting down on commuting time, it also saves tons on the gas spending as well!
I think that chicago region is trying really hard to upgrade its existing railway system. I am hoping something like the bullet train of Tokyo near future!
Oh, that would be incredible!

Do the suburban stations have large "park and ride" lots to accomodate drivers?
Old April 17th, 2006, 12:56 AM   #224
Saab
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jue

that's awesome
Saab no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 12:59 AM   #225
ChicagoSkyline
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jue
Oh, that would be incredible!

Do the suburban stations have large "park and ride" lots to accomodate drivers?
Oh yea, plenty of lots, particularly here in Naperville!
We are in the 2nd stations and the newer one having acres of parking lot just to compensate the riders. and it is this reason some people here still prefer driving, you wonder why,lol!
Old April 17th, 2006, 01:08 AM   #226
Jue
Perception

Quote:
Oh yea, plenty of lots, particularly here in Naperville!
We are in the 2nd stations and the newer one having acres of parking lot just to compensate the riders. and it is this reason some people here still prefer driving, you wonder why,lol!
Haha, it must take a while finding parking.

It would be even funnier if you have mini-skylines of eight-story parking garages.

I don't understand why there's even a debate on which state has the worst highways; it is obviously Louisiana. The days when Louisiana had its highway funding cut off for age-18 drinking took its toll, and the continual battering of hurricanes did the rest. I wonder if all the washed-out pavement and demolished bridges on I-10 have been repaired yet.

Old April 17th, 2006, 01:20 AM   #227
ChicagoSkyline
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jue
Haha, it must take a while finding parking.

It would be even funnier if you have mini-skylines of eight-story parking garages.

I don't understand why there's even a debate on which state has the worst highways; it is obviously Louisiana. The days when Louisiana had its highway funding cut off for age-18 drinking took its toll, and the continual battering of hurricanes did the rest. I wonder if all the washed-out pavement and demolished bridges on I-10 have been repaired yet.

I doubt the multi story parking garages is feasbile here in naperville due to out plenty of open land,lol!
Very true, in and out of of parking lot is problematic here!

For louisiana I-10, would have been the worst but look again, it will be the newest after rebuilt, so what can u say! After all we are in the greatest nation of the world!
Old April 17th, 2006, 01:45 AM   #228
DrJoe
Registered Idiot

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayenne
I-275westcoastfl.....

I do not know anything about Bangladesh.I live in India.Certain areas in New York city do resemble photos of Bangladesh i have seen.I do plan to visit there sometime soon.

But here is an example of an inner city road/freeways in India....This is in New Delhi/National Capital Region....

Cheers!.....

[img]
On the surface it looks ok. But where are the shoulders? If your car breaks down or something do you just sit in the middle of the highway? I don't think that flimsy guard rail would stop very much either.
Old April 17th, 2006, 02:19 AM   #229
Jue
Perception

Quote:
I doubt the multi story parking garages is feasbile here in naperville due to out plenty of open land,lol!
Very true, in and out of of parking lot is problematic here!

For louisiana I-10, would have been the worst but look again, it will be the newest after rebuilt, so what can u say! After all we are in the greatest nation of the world!
That is terribly ironic, getting stuck in traffic trying to leave a parking lot. Is there commuter bus service too, or just rail?

Pssh, your country has a lot to learn about modern highway design. Also 8 lanes, but much better:

Old April 17th, 2006, 02:26 AM   #230
TexasBoi
Texas-NoVA

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayenne
You can fool only some of the people some of the time...How long will the American propaganda machine fool the American people into thinking they're living in the "greatest country in the world"?.This is a country where they nail thin slats of plywood to sheets of cardboard, slap some paint on the cardboard , some plasticky tiles and decorations and call the structure a house for which Americans pay millions of dollars to own.Who's fooling who?.Come a little wind and rain, there goes Mr. and Mrs. America's wordly possessions down the street for all to see!.This is where the Soviets lost out.Their propaganda machine was nowhere near the Americans'.Now it's the Americans turn.The Emperor is fast losing his clothes, it seems!!.Not that i'm gloating.It is unfortunate that it is so.....

This is an example of an indian expressway.Let the picture speak for itself....

That's nice that your country can keep up with the very few amount of freeways compared to the United States. The majority of our roads look like that and even better. But we have more to deal with thus we can't please everybody. The shit is not cheap. You're comparing apples to oranges.
TexasBoi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 02:33 AM   #231
ChicagoSkyline
BANNED

True, true~!LOL
Traffic jam on the highway, traffic jam off the highway in the train station parking lot,lol! Awkwardly efficient!

Just to let you know that the word "bus" in the chicago suburb doesn't exist,lol!
Or at least, no one is really give a damn if there is even one around....take great patience to wait for it to come near you!
In the chicago land area, commuter bus is another story tho!

Yea, India has a lot to learn about the great highway systems!
At least the true "high" way don't have scenes of scooters snaking around with the cars that are running at least 65 miles/hr. lol!
Old April 17th, 2006, 03:14 AM   #232
Jue
Perception

Ah, I see. Over here, since nobody knows what "train" means, the highways have dedicated bus/carpool lanes in the middle:

I guess buses here serve the same function as rail in Chicago. The annoying thing about buses is, when on a regular street, every time they stop they cause a traffic jam on the right lane.
Old April 17th, 2006, 03:25 AM   #233
ChicagoSkyline
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jue
Ah, I see. Over here, since nobody knows what "train" means, the highways have dedicated bus/carpool lanes in the middle:

I guess buses here serve the same function as rail in Chicago. The annoying thing about buses is, when on a regular street, every time they stop they cause a traffic jam on the right lane.
LOL, pretty much it!
They all looks good one way, yet ugly the other!
That is cool, how the bus even run as far as houston suburbs! I like it, another cheaper way for commuting!
So no train at all between houston downtown and its suburbs?
Old April 17th, 2006, 03:28 AM   #234
ChicagoSkyline
BANNED

BTW, I see you also have been to shanghai. I am also very impress with its new high speed rail! That is another reason why chicago metra needs major upgrade!
Old April 17th, 2006, 03:56 AM   #235
Jue
Perception

Quote:
LOL, pretty much it!
They all looks good one way, yet ugly the other!
That is cool, how the bus even run as far as houston suburbs! I like it, another cheaper way for commuting!
So no train at all between houston downtown and its suburbs?
No trains. The buses run out to about 20 miles from the city center, about the distance from Oakbrook Terrace to downtown. These are express buses from park-and-ride lots to downtown. Chicago's disadvantage is that downtown is located on a lake, with all the suburbs in the west, increasing commuting distances.
Quote:
BTW, I see you also have been to shanghai. I am also very impress with its new high speed rail! That is another reason why chicago metra needs major upgrade!
I am from Shanghai. All my family is there. I myself am often there, though currently working in Texas. The only "high speed" rail there is the maglev; regular metro trains aren't that fast.
Old April 17th, 2006, 04:01 AM   #236
LeCom

Likes (Received): 700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout 3
New York because the highways are outdated.
All I know is that when you leave New Jersey and drive by the "Welcome to New York [state]" sigh, the roads automacically become rougher and bumpier. As of the NYC highways, the elevated ones are so old and rusted they're scary just to look at.
LeCom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 04:04 AM   #237
ChicagoSkyline
BANNED

Here are some Chicago highways, as you can see that it takes guts and wizdom to block off few lanes for construction , not an easy thing for major rebuilt and repairment, it is amlost the case for every major metro cities in US :

Here is the witness of toll before the "I-Pass" was introduced, pain!

This one you can see the "chap" on the surface, thanks for the snow, salt and the snow removal truck...

Old April 17th, 2006, 04:13 AM   #238
ChicagoSkyline
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jue
No trains. The buses run out to about 20 miles from the city center, about the distance from Oakbrook Terrace to downtown. These are express buses from park-and-ride lots to downtown. Chicago's disadvantage is that downtown is located on a lake, with all the suburbs in the west, increasing commuting distances.

I am from Shanghai. All my family is there. I myself am often there, though currently working in Texas. The only "high speed" rail there is the maglev; regular metro trains aren't that fast.
Yep, houston is geographically more feasible for buses than chicago!
cool, so you from shanghai! It is a city with great advancement!
Old April 17th, 2006, 05:47 AM   #239
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

[QUOTE=cayenne]I-275westcoastfl.....

I do not know anything about Bangladesh.I live in India.Certain areas in New York city do resemble photos of Bangladesh i have seen.I do plan to visit there sometime soon.

But here is an example of an inner city road/freeways in India....This is in New Delhi/National Capital Region....

Cheers!.....
Oops i meant India i dunno what i was thinking anyway yea in India that still looks like the outskirts of the city i dont know why you said inner city but then i found a few pictures of some delhi highways anyway they look fairly good except for the first picture but the highways have no or little of a center divider, no break down lanes, etc overall india has nice highways but i cant see how they compare to american ones.

American ones
Tampa pop 400,000 and St.Petersburg, FL pop 300,000

[/IMG]http://www.southeastroads.com/florida200/i-275_sb_exit_023b_04.jpg[/IMG]

I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 05:52 AM   #240
ChicagoSkyline
BANNED

^
Nice pics!

I still remember that I drove over this bridge during my trip to Florida!
It was unbelieable sight!
Oh, the year when Ivan invaded !

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban