daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 23rd, 2008, 02:37 AM   #2441
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10384

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506 View Post
Does anyone know if New York roads are better maintained than California/Texas? I saw the pictures in the previous post and there are some pretty European-looking roads (as in not taking up too much room, decent markings, some well-maintained pavement, etc.)
New York City has some of the worst highways in the nation. Many of them are narrow because they are also some of the oldest in the nation...some of them were constructed in the twenties, and with NYC being as dense as it is, it was harder for it to construct freeways than other cities (it still cut up the city pretty good though).

The parkways in the city are OK to look at and drive in when it's not busy, but during traffic, it can be hell. The interstates (like I-95) are barely above interstate standards. When you drive on some of the highways, you can hear a noise coming from the pavement. That's how crappy it is.

The highways in the rest of the state are better, but aren't anything to marvel about.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2008, 02:44 AM   #2442
MRichR

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_533976 View Post
Good stuff I'm not 100% sure on the choice of music though.

Heres a quote from another forum with some more pics ->

I70 stretch (hope at least some of these aren't red-x's):

Aspen/Vail area:

1.6mile long Eisenhower Tunnel:

That part of I-70 looks siiick with the tunnel.
That third picture looks more like Utah on I-15 or I-70. Colorado to Nevada on I-70 and I-15 is truly one of the great roads scenery-wise you'll find anywhere.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 05:00 AM   #2443
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

Quote:
Does anyone know if New York roads are better maintained than California/Texas? I saw the pictures in the previous post and there are some pretty European-looking roads (as in not taking up too much room, decent markings, some well-maintained pavement, etc.)
Hell no. New York road surfaces are awful. Downstate, there's heavy traffic and a lack of funding. Upstate, there's the same problems, plus brutal winters. What I do like about New York expressways is that they tend to be scenic.

Most California roads that I've seen are pretty good, though people from there that I know whine a lot about the road surfaces back home so perhaps they're not so great. Texas has generally good road surfaces, though I don't find them to be very aesthetic.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 12:34 PM   #2444
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Especially the Parkways within New York City are very outdated. Most of them were constructed from the 1920's to the 1950's, and cannot handle todays traffic. The parkways on Long Island in Nassau County and Suffolk County look better though.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 07:50 PM   #2445
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRichR View Post
That third picture looks more like Utah on I-15 or I-70. Colorado to Nevada on I-70 and I-15 is truly one of the great roads scenery-wise you'll find anywhere.
That Utah shot is looking eastward on I-70 just west of Green River, UT - one of the most *remote* places on the I-system. The highway was built on a virgin routing from Green River to Salina, UT, a section of over 200 km with *NO* services (fuel, food, lodging, cell phone coverage or even electricity). Make sure that the tank is full before you drive it.

The image shows the highway's eastbound descent from the remote high-country into the Green River, UT area and includes 'runaway truck' escape ramps.

The first image is the WOW! section of I-70 through Glenwood Canyon just east of Glenwood Springs, CO.

Also, the west portal of Eisenhower Tunnel is the highest point on the I-system - and one of the highest motorways anywhere in the World.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 08:08 PM   #2446
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Great scenery; the third pic reminds of Afghanistan or sth, just with a better road.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 08:49 PM   #2447
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Washington State Patrol stated yesterday that they will start enforcing the passing lane law.

http://www.komonews.com/news/2065678...?video=YHI&t=a

Good news to all!
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 09:11 PM   #2448
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Very good, they should enforce that much more in the entire United States. Especially on non-busy roads. Rushhour is different, but it's really irritating people sticking to the left when the right lane is free for hundreds of yards or even miles.

Don't they teach that in drivers ed or something?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 09:21 PM   #2449
HAWC1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
Very good, they should enforce that much more in the entire United States. Especially on non-busy roads. Rushhour is different, but it's really irritating people sticking to the left when the right lane is free for hundreds of yards or even miles.

Don't they teach that in drivers ed or something?
It's in drivers ed. Many newer drivers follow the rules, but older drivers are often unaware, or just "forgot" the law because it wasn't enforced. Then the newer drivers see the older drivers not following the law, and then they too think it's okay to break that law. In the end, no one follows the law. I hope this changes though.
Old June 24th, 2008, 11:15 PM   #2450
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3706

I wonder why driver's ed in the US didn't the teach the concept of lane discipline in the first place.
LtBk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 01:33 AM   #2451
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Don't those not moving to the right once in while come upon someone even slower than themselves and bitch him/her? Shouldn't they then be able to realize they are doing the same to others?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 01:59 AM   #2452
WA
DJ Michael

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Is that a joke? If you mean NYC roads those highways are some of the wost maintained roads i've ever been on and they don't take up too much room because 1) there isn't room and 2) their old.
WA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 03:00 AM   #2453
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10384

Quote:
It's in drivers ed. Many newer drivers follow the rules, but older drivers are often unaware, or just "forgot" the law because it wasn't enforced. Then the newer drivers see the older drivers not following the law, and then they too think it's okay to break that law. In the end, no one follows the law. I hope this changes though.
It'll get worse, not better, in the future as the Baby Boomers are starting to hit retirement age. That means more left lane hoggers in the future.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 03:29 AM   #2454
HAWC1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by WA View Post
Is that a joke? If you mean NYC roads those highways are some of the wost maintained roads i've ever been on and they don't take up too much room because 1) there isn't room and 2) their old.
Well I saw Parkway pictures and they looked nice. guess not haha
Old June 25th, 2008, 03:30 AM   #2455
HAWC1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10ROT View Post
It'll get worse, not better, in the future as the Baby Boomers are starting to hit retirement age. That means more left lane hoggers in the future.
Yeah, hopefully they start to put some more serious enforcement into that law.
Old June 25th, 2008, 09:46 PM   #2456
swaugh3

Likes (Received): 7

Does anyone have any photos of new or expanded interstates?
swaugh3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 09:47 PM   #2457
swaugh3

Can anyone create a map of new or planned interstates?
Old June 25th, 2008, 09:49 PM   #2458
swaugh3

Are there any updates on this proposed tunnel?
Old June 25th, 2008, 10:10 PM   #2459
HAWC1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaugh3 View Post
Can anyone create a map of new or planned interstates?
I will take a few pictures of a relatively new section of I-90 near Seattle. Very nicely paved section. It will probably be a couple months though, because I don't travel through that stretch normally, only when school starts in September. I'll take pictures from my big yellow twinky :]
Old June 25th, 2008, 10:10 PM   #2460
swaugh3

Is there anything new since the last post?

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban