daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 1st, 2008, 07:07 AM   #2501
hoosier

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
A section in Mississippi south of Memphis is already signed/designated I-69 according to several maps. Between I-55 and US 61. Eventually, the new beltway around Memphis might be designated I-69 too in the near future.
That is accurate. In my state of Indiana, the state DOT is preparing to start construction on a 2-mile stretch of new terrain I-69 from I-164 to SR 68. $700 million has been allocated to new terrain I-69 construction (a total waste of money in my opinion because the existing I-69 is in serious need of upgrade).

Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2008, 07:10 AM   #2502
hoosier

Quote:
The US is not build in a way that public transport can resolve traffic problems, or meet transportation demands. Besides that, trucks are the most efficient way to transport nearly all kinds of goods domestically. The US is actually far ahead on Europe with freight rail transport.
That is not true at all. Just about every metro area in the U.S. would benefit greatly from commuter rail and good public transportation.

And trucks are a horrible way of transporting goods, but since so many freight lines have been abandoned and torn up, there really is no other way to transport goods in the U.S. This was a conscious choice by government.

Transportation in the U.S. only works well when fuel is cheap, and the expectation that it would remain so demonstrates the utter lack of foresight by the government at all levels.
Old July 1st, 2008, 10:10 AM   #2503
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
That is not true at all. Just about every metro area in the U.S. would benefit greatly from commuter rail and good public transportation.
The problem is that rail & transit only handle 0.6% of the total passenger mileage, while it obviously costs more than 0.6% of the total budget. Public Transportation is more expensive per passenger mile to construct and operate a lightrail or other kinds of PT. Besides that, the problem is that the government can't charge the full price of PT, because nobody would take it then. So the government has to offer all kinds of discounts to get people into public transportation. That money has to come from somewhere. I don't say PT needs to be profitable, but a bag of money would be nice to construct more PT.

Quote:
And trucks are a horrible way of transporting goods, but since so many freight lines have been abandoned and torn up, there really is no other way to transport goods in the U.S. This was a conscious choice by government.
The problem is that railways are not the way to serve our "just-in-time" modern society. They are only good for large bulk freights, like ore or grain. You have to take into account, that even in Europe, with twice the fuel price in the United States, the most efficient way of transport goods is still the diesel truck.

Quote:
Transportation in the U.S. only works well when fuel is cheap, and the expectation that it would remain so demonstrates the utter lack of foresight by the government at all levels.
Fuel IS cheap in the U.S. only you don't realize that because you've gone from super-cheap to cheap fuel. The current rising fuel prices are just a bad time before we all change to electric cars, or hydrogen cars and trucks. It's not like that if we run out of affordable oil, our roads will turn into useless dust, as some may suggest.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 10:30 AM   #2504
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Very good:
Old July 1st, 2008, 12:00 PM   #2505
bgplayer19

Likes (Received): 0

What a nonsense!Why would they built a multilane higway all the way to Churchill(pop:1000 I think).In my point of view it's better to connect Winnipeg and Regina
bgplayer19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 05:59 PM   #2506
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgplayer19 View Post
What a nonsense!Why would they built a multilane higway all the way to Churchill(pop:1000 I think).In my point of view it's better to connect Winnipeg and Regina
Mainly because Churchill is the gateway to Hudson Bay and the Northwest passage. As Global Warming continues to intensify, these waterways will become more and more important. Churchill could become a major port destination because of its location. It is cheaper to unload goods at Churchill than sailing through the Panama Canal and then up to the St. Laurence Seaway. (Just an example.)

My Simcity Stuff
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 07:07 PM   #2507
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Very good:
The same law goes into effect July 1st for Washington too, not just California.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 07:48 PM   #2508
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Any other states with this law?
Old July 1st, 2008, 07:48 PM   #2509
Timon91
Error

-double post-

Last edited by Timon91; July 1st, 2008 at 08:20 PM.
Timon91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 08:54 PM   #2510
Schweden
Registered Loser

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Why is the Mexican flag in the middle of the US?
That's something we're not supposed to know about
Schweden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 10:34 PM   #2511
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon Kruijk View Post
Any other states with this law?
As of today, New York, Connecticut, New Jersey, Utah, California and Washington (the latter two enacted this today).

From my experience, I am wondering how Californians adjust to that Also, this new law is a good news for cellular companies driving their bluetooth accessories sales up.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 10:55 PM   #2512
Timon91
Error

Hopefully all states will eventually enact this law, it's much safer.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 03:23 AM   #2513
Solanis_Rep

Likes (Received): 0

Well, sending text messages is still allowed in California, and that's arguably even more dangerous. But, at least it's a step forward.
Solanis_Rep no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 04:43 AM   #2514
HAWC1506

Does anyone know what type of laws their are in Germany regarding cellphone usage, putting on makeup, eating, etc.?
Old July 2nd, 2008, 05:11 AM   #2515
shadyunltd

Likes (Received): 7

It's now into effect in Canada, as of today.

Been already using my Bluetooth headset for a while anyway so no big change for me.
shadyunltd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 05:14 AM   #2516
hoosier

Quote:

The problem is that railways are not the way to serve our "just-in-time" modern society. They are only good for large bulk freights, like ore or grain. You have to take into account, that even in Europe, with twice the fuel price in the United States, the most efficient way of transport goods is still the diesel truck.

Fuel IS cheap in the U.S. only you don't realize that because you've gone from super-cheap to cheap fuel. The current rising fuel prices are just a bad time before we all change to electric cars, or hydrogen cars and trucks. It's not like that if we run out of affordable oil, our roads will turn into useless dust, as some may suggest.

Railroads can easily serve just about every city in the U.S, and much more cheaply too. Trucks can serve as short distance haulers of goods. It is conscious government policy that has made America dependent on trucks to deliver and transport almost all goods.

We will have to see if the auto industry develops cars that use something other than hydrocarbons as fuel. They have been dragging their feet for decades. And I doubt they would do anything to undermine the financial success of the oil industry.

And there are so many other benefits of having development patterns centered around mass transit: less sprawl and environmental destruction, less congested roads, etc.

Last edited by hoosier; July 2nd, 2008 at 05:20 AM.
hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 06:06 AM   #2517
OakRidge

Likes (Received): 1462

Quote:
It is conscious government policy that has made America dependent on trucks to deliver and transport almost all goods
Taking that into consideration it is interesting to note than in 2007 the United States transported more freight (billions of tonne-kilometers) than any other nation by rail.
OakRidge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 09:28 AM   #2518
HAWC1506

I was setting up the bluetooth connection for my dad yesterday in our car. We did everything right, except the instructions didn't say that "accurate and proper English must be spoken for the computer to recognize your voice commands." I guess I'll need to sign him up for an English course haha
Old July 2nd, 2008, 10:22 AM   #2519
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506 View Post
Does anyone know what type of laws their are in Germany regarding cellphone usage, putting on makeup, eating, etc.?
As far as I know, using a cell phone is prohibited, but other stuff like controlling the radio, eating, drinking, smoking etc. is allowed. Those things are hardly enforcable, but arguably dangerous too. The fine for handheld calling in the Netherlands is 205 dollars. The fines in California are laughable, with 20 dollars for the first offense, and 50 dollars for subsequent offenses. Well, it gives the highway patrol some work to do while patrolling.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 11:24 AM   #2520
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Most prices for traffic offenses in US are laughable, comparing to many EU countries.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban