daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 7th, 2008, 09:21 PM   #2561
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Logan Airport is at the eastside of Boston, and the I-93 runs from the southside of Boston to Saint Johnsbury in Vermont. However, it has a few west/eastbound miles along the southern side of Boston.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 7th, 2008, 09:40 PM   #2562
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

That'll be the part I've been making pictures of then. I've had a look at them and it clearly says I-93.
Old July 7th, 2008, 09:41 PM   #2563
Stuck in Bama

Likes (Received): 2772

Not shocked about where Alabama is on the urban interstate conditions table. I would give ALDOT an F when it comes to maintance, and expansion when needed in urban areas. I am surpised about this states rank on the rural conditions table though.

The bottom line is politics has a huge role in terms of where transportation money goes here.
Stuck in Bama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 09:45 PM   #2564
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10380

Interesting that CT is on the top 10 states when it comes to congestion.

Then again, it's not surprising. I heard that I-84 in Downtown Hartford gets almost 180,000 cars/day. The government says that it's now actually more congested than I-95 in the Southwest part of the state. That highway is a nightmare during the day.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 02:34 AM   #2565
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bori427 View Post
That I-264 bridge is crazy! wtf
It's actually an old, pre-Interstate drawbridge with a newer one alongside. I think the river below gets very little overheight traffic, so the drawbridge opens infrequently.

Going south/west from the bridge(s), I-264 dives rapidly into a tunnel, passing through a very compact interchange with I-464. The tunnel is also a new one, c. the early '80's, paired with an older one:

The Tidewater area has a very unusual and road system.

Last edited by Tom 958; July 8th, 2008 at 02:56 AM. Reason: spelling
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 02:45 AM   #2566
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Yesterday I watched on TV driving from Houston to Phoenix on I-10. Semi-arid to arid landscape most of the time. And road surface was mostly quite good!
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 06:03 AM   #2567
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Does anyone know the annual transportation expenses of the U.S. and Europe?
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 06:19 AM   #2568
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Yesterday I watched on TV driving from Houston to Phoenix on I-10. Semi-arid to arid landscape most of the time. And road surface was mostly quite good!
That's interesting. I'll be driving from Phoenix to Austin during the middle of this month. I can't wait. Plus I'm taking my favorite airline American Airlines out to Phoenix so it will be a fun travel trip.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 09:51 AM   #2569
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506 View Post
Does anyone know the annual transportation expenses of the U.S. and Europe?
I know it's about € 2.5 billion in the Netherlands for roads, and about € 3 billion for public transit (these expenses are totally out of line with the actual transportationprestation), and a few billions for waterworks (including dikes).
Old July 8th, 2008, 09:07 PM   #2570
HAWC1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
I know it's about € 2.5 billion in the Netherlands for roads, and about € 3 billion for public transit (these expenses are totally out of line with the actual transportationprestation), and a few billions for waterworks (including dikes).
Do you know how that figure compares to the U.S. in terms of expense per mile?
Old July 8th, 2008, 09:52 PM   #2571
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Do they have a lot of these in the United States?
Very few states allow photo enforcement of speed laws. It just strikes Americans as being un-American (relating to a Constitutional tenet of being able to face one's accuser in court), also with overtures of local corruption and the stereotypical 'Deputy Dawg' small-town speed trap. I do know that Washington, DC has some, but although I have heard of them being tried elsewhere (ie, some corrupt towns in Ohio), I don't have any other current specific examples other than in construction zones.

Nearly ALL regular photo-enforcement in the USA is at stop and go lights (what we Wisconsinites call signalized intersections) and railroad crossings.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 10:14 PM   #2572
HAWC1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
Very few states allow photo enforcement of speed laws. It just strikes Americans as being un-American (relating to a Constitutional tenet of being able to face one's accuser in court), also with overtures of local corruption and the stereotypical 'Deputy Dawg' small-town speed trap. I do know that Washington, DC has some, but although I have heard of them being tried elsewhere (ie, some corrupt towns in Ohio), I don't have any other current specific examples other than in construction zones.

Nearly ALL regular photo-enforcement in the USA is at stop and go lights (what we Wisconsinites call signalized intersections) and railroad crossings.

Mike
The only cameras I've ever seen in Washington State are red-light cameras. There were some issues with cities shortening the yellow light to catch more red-light runners.
Old July 8th, 2008, 10:17 PM   #2573
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

^ That's bad, someone can crash in you from behind.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 10:35 PM   #2574
Somnifor
Paradise Island

Likes (Received): 3312

In Minnesota the state supreme court ruled that those cameras violated the state constitution because it couldn't be proved who was actually driving the vehicle.
Somnifor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 11:27 PM   #2575
ChrisZwolle
Road user

So? Send the fine to the owner, and let him deal with it. Dutch cars are always fined from behind.
Old July 8th, 2008, 11:55 PM   #2576
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
So? Send the fine to the owner, and let him deal with it. Dutch cars are always fined from behind.
What if the owner's not driving? If your son is speeding do YOU want the ticket?
I saw a story from Atlanta about a guy who got a ticket because a repairman who was working on his vehicle while he was out of town took it for a drive and ran a red light.
Billpa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 12:00 AM   #2577
X236K

Quote:
In Czech, the driver must be unambiguously recognizable on the picture that is attached to the fine... otherwise the owner of the car may refuse to tell who actualy drove (if the driver was a family member).
X236K no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 12:04 AM   #2578
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billpa View Post
What if the owner's not driving? If your son is speeding do YOU want the ticket?
I saw a story from Atlanta about a guy who got a ticket because a repairman who was working on his vehicle while he was out of town took it for a drive and ran a red light.
It's the vehicle of the owner, thus his responsibility what happens to it. Unless you can prove your car was stolen or something like that.
Old July 9th, 2008, 12:07 AM   #2579
Timon91
Error

That is indeed the easiest way, and it saves a lot of trouble when you might have to prove who was driving, etc.
Old July 9th, 2008, 12:11 AM   #2580
HAWC1506

Quote:
It's the vehicle of the owner, thus his responsibility what happens to it. Unless you can prove your car was stolen or something like that.
Don't most insurance companies in the U.S. follow that policy? It's like if a gun is stolen from your house and you don't report it to the police as theft, then you will be responsible for it if a crime was committed with the gun.

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban