daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 17th, 2006, 05:57 AM   #241
Jue
Perception

Likes (Received): 1

I remember this bridge is on Interstate 275, but can't recall the exact location. Can you refresh me?
Jue no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2006, 06:23 AM   #242
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Thats the Skyway Bridge in St.Petersburg,Florida between Pinellas and Manatee Counties

View of St.Pete Beach, etc from bridge

another pic

my favorite

Here is the old one from after the container ship plowed into it paving the way for the new one which is one of the safest from ship collisions and here it is next to the new one.

Last edited by I-275westcoastfl; April 17th, 2006 at 06:33 AM.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 06:56 AM   #243
ChicagoSkyline
BANNED

Location: Chicago[Naperville-SW Suburb] + Miami[Miami Beach & South Beach]
Likes (Received): 29

^
Isn't that amazing!
BTW, I LOVE clearwater beach! The sand there is so gorgeous and soft! It is the 2nd best place in Florida after South beach in my top florida destinations!
ChicagoSkyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 11:20 AM   #244
cayenne
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Some pics of Mumbai(Bombay)....expressway construction........

cayenne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 11:37 AM   #245
cayenne
BANNED

More inner city roads in Bombay......

Well, i live in Mumbai!!.Ever driven through Flatbush Ave, in Brooklyn, anyone?.The lunar landscape will be a smoother ride, i guarantee you!!
Old April 17th, 2006, 10:31 PM   #246
I-275westcoastfl

Quote:
Why are the outer two lanes so narrow and inner are wide?

Quote:
Well, i live in Mumbai!!.Ever driven through Flatbush Ave, in Brooklyn, anyone?.The lunar landscape will be a smoother ride, i guarantee you!!
Thats great every city has their bad roads im sure in Mumbai too there are some shitty roads i dont know why you keep pulling things about america. Get on topic because for every flaw you point out about american roads i can probably do the same with Indian roads you cant have all roads be in good condition smooth or not its to get people place to place.

Last edited by I-275westcoastfl; April 17th, 2006 at 10:37 PM.
Old April 18th, 2006, 03:53 AM   #247
ChicagoSkyline
BANNED

Hey Cayenne, thanks for sharing tho, but majority of your posts and pics shouldn't be here in the first place, we all know that mumbai has nice road, so please get back to the topic! We are here for "US states with the worst highways?" Not india and any other countries!
Old April 18th, 2006, 09:26 AM   #248
cayenne
BANNED

I think it is fair to say, that the US is no different from any other developed/developing country, in that it has it's share of good and bad roads, rich and poor folks and the great middle class in-between the two, and by calling themselves "the greatest et al" and belittling other nations they are engaging in needless propoganda far more than even the Soviets did and in the process making themselves disliked by a majority of the peoples of the world.It is time the US and it's peoples got 'REAL' and faced the music.Unless ofcourse they want to compare themselves to the unfortunate nations of sub-saharan Africa to feel 'superior' again.I hope the poor displaced peoples of New Orleans are provided shelter and relocated before money is spent on paving new roads.Are roads more important than people?.
Old April 18th, 2006, 03:27 PM   #249
Jue
Perception

Likes (Received): 1

How is it propaganda if it is truth? Have you seen what you speak of? You sound like nothing but a pathetic conspiracy theorist in that post.
Jue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2006, 03:29 AM   #250
ChicagoSkyline
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayenne
I think it is fair to say, that the US is no different from any other developed/developing country, in that it has it's share of good and bad roads, rich and poor folks and the great middle class in-between the two, and by calling themselves "the greatest et al" and belittling other nations they are engaging in needless propoganda far more than even the Soviets did and in the process making themselves disliked by a majority of the peoples of the world.It is time the US and it's peoples got 'REAL' and faced the music.Unless ofcourse they want to compare themselves to the unfortunate nations of sub-saharan Africa to feel 'superior' again.I hope the poor displaced peoples of New Orleans are provided shelter and relocated before money is spent on paving new roads.Are roads more important than people?.
Do you honestly think that this kind of propoganda posts of yours should even be existing in this thread?
You are the only one here so far that I think has propoganda issues, not US, not anyone, but you! Get fix or be fix, bud!
Old June 1st, 2006, 01:45 AM   #251
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

http://www.americanchronicle.com/art...rticleID=10326

Roads In America - The Worst And The Best
Edward Lewis
May 30, 2006

For the second consecutive year and the fifth time in a decade, truckers say Pennsylvania has the worst roads in the country, according to the annual Highway Report Card survey conducted by Overdrive magazine. Overdrive is the nation's leading magazine for owner-operators.

Among the chief complaints: the conditions of the Pennsylvania Turnpike, I-78 and I-80, and poor signage. Owner-operator Bernard Linkhauer says Keystone State highways "will beat and bang you around." The Pittsburgh-area resident says repairs along the turnpike amount to a Band-Aid. "It looks good, and it lasts a little while, but then it's back to square one."

For the second year in a row, the Lone Star State shines with the best roads. Not all truckers agree, though. Texan Judy Selzer disputes Overdrive readers' high praise of Texas highways. "Any time I get on 1-35 to go to San Antonio, [the road is] rough, and it will tear your equipment up," she says.

The Overdrive survey not only ranked roads, but also the drivers who traverse them. Roughly two-thirds of respondents say road rage increased during the past year, with 36 percent calling the jump significant. The worst automobile drivers are in California, followed by Illinois and New York.

Trucker Allen Pickard of the Los Angeles suburb of Glendora agrees with these findings. He blames congestion and the pressure of driving in southern California, where commutes can take hours. "I can imagine how they can get pretty upset," he says.

New Jersey owner-operator Kevin Sweeney says New York and Connecticut drivers are the worst. Stuck in lower New England congestion, they fast become frustrated. "You don't get road rage out in the country," he adds.

When it comes to safety, survey participants reasserted findings from years past - California has the nation's toughest truck inspections, while Alabama has the most lax. California is well-known for its laws regarding trucking, including tough anti-idling penalties. More than 37 percent of respondents placed California tops on inspections; Ohio came in second with 8 percent of participants calling it the toughest state. Alabama, on the other hand, has experienced a shortage of state troopers for several years.

About Overdrive's Highway Report Card More than 300 Overdrive readers responded to the Highway Report Card survey in fall 2005. About 27 percent of respondents deliver in all 48 states, and 57 percent report 21 years or more in the industry. The complete report appears in Overdrive's December issue.

HIGHWAY REPORT CARD 2005

WORST ROADS

1) Pennsylvania
2) Missouri
3) Louisiana
4) Michigan
5) California

BEST ROADS

1) Texas
2) Florida
3) Tennessee
4) Georgia, Ohio (tie)
5) Nevada, Virginia (tie)

WORST HIGHWAY

1) I-10 Louisiana
2) I-44 Missouri
3) I-95 New York

BEST HIGHWAY

1) I-75 Florida
2) I-40 Tennessee
3) I-10 Texas

MOST IMPROVED HIGHWAY

1) I-40 Arkansas
2) I-80 Pennsylvania
3) I-30 Arkansas

WORST AUTOMOBILE DRIVERS

1) California
2) Illinois
3) New York
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 03:40 AM   #252
godblessbotox
la is pritty

Likes (Received): 27

were not the worst drivers just the most animated

-the 4x4 behemoths... those things are flipped around here like bottle caps

me+flickr=joy
godblessbotox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 08:08 PM   #253
Smelser

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258
So I'm fine with this idea as long as they don't take an existing free highway and slap toll plazas across all lanes of traffic.

Why not? Why not make all users pay? With modern photo technology there is no need to stop traffic to collects tolls, billings can be mailed out monthly. If all users pay, there is no problem getting the revenue for the improvements you want.
Smelser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 11:34 PM   #254
matthewcs

I think this is the greatest idea I've ever heard of. Normally I whip through the HOV lane without a passenger always looking for cops. If I could pay and do it legally?! omgsh!
matthewcs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 02:01 AM   #255
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Looks like the Interstates don't whoop ass.

Sorry, just had to bring it out of the basement.

Any more pix?

Last edited by Verso; June 15th, 2006 at 04:08 PM.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 02:12 AM   #256
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Oh lol, only now I noticed how ugly the first part of the first page is!

Can someone remove this shit?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 06:42 AM   #257
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10394

WTF is on the first page?!
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 10:33 AM   #258
I-275westcoastfl

The 1st page is Nasty!!!!!!!
Its burns my eyes!! aaaaaahhhhhh
Old June 14th, 2006, 09:21 PM   #259
Æsahættr

Likes (Received): 5

I <3 it when SSC sucks up my bandwidth!!!
Old June 19th, 2006, 01:22 AM   #260
sequoias

Likes (Received): 14

WA 520 floating bridge nearing end of useful life

Doesn't look good there, I hope that bridge won't fall apart too soon before they begin construction on the new bridge in 2009, which is a little too long. More than 100,000 vehicles cross the 4 lane freeway on the average weekday

Transportation Officials Say 520 Bridge In Jeopardy

June 18, 2006

MEDINA - The aging Evergreen Point floating bridge across Lake Washington needs to be replaced soon, officials said after a weekend inspection of the span.

"This bridge is in jeopardy. This bridge is aging. This bridge needs to be replaced," said Dave Dye, urban corridors administrator with the Washington state Department of Transportation, in a tour with politicians, media and community members.

More than 6,000 feet of cracks in the walls of the bridge were the most obvious signs that the structure, now in its fifth decade, is reaching the end of its useful life.

This past winter, the bridge was closed briefly after being damaged during a windstorm. The bridge was closed again this past weekend for yearly maintenance work. With the span shut down, traffic was snarled on alternative ways to travel between Seattle and its eastern suburbs.

A four-lane and a six-lane replacement bridges are being considered. Current projections estimate the four-lane project would cost between $1.7 billion and $2 billion. The six-lane design would cost between $2.3 billion and $3.1 billion.

The new bridge will be designed to accommodate light rail in the future.

About $1.25 billion has been found to pay for the new bridge. The rest likely will come from a regional tax and toll revenues.

Officials said construction on a new bridge could begin in 2009, with completion predicted by 2015. The new bridge would be built to the north of the current span.
sequoias no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban