daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 9th, 2008, 12:19 AM   #2581
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

Likes (Received): 38

Insurance companies might go by that method, but it wouldn't hold up in court (at least I hope it wouldn't).

There are some speed trap cameras on the 10 in Arizona.

"A wicked man puts up a bold front, but an upright man gives thought to his ways." - Proverbs 21: 29
phattonez no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 9th, 2008, 12:44 AM   #2582
pwalker

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
Very few states allow photo enforcement of speed laws. It just strikes Americans as being un-American (relating to a Constitutional tenet of being able to face one's accuser in court), also with overtures of local corruption and the stereotypical 'Deputy Dawg' small-town speed trap. I do know that Washington, DC has some, but although I have heard of them being tried elsewhere (ie, some corrupt towns in Ohio), I don't have any other current specific examples other than in construction zones.

Nearly ALL regular photo-enforcement in the USA is at stop and go lights (what we Wisconsinites call signalized intersections) and railroad crossings.

Mike
Atleast 20 States use red light cameras. There was also a recent study that showed accidents increase at these locations because more people are slamming on their brakes and causing rear end collisions. Yet another article I read recently stated that some cities are reducing the cameras because people are actually obeying the lights and less revenue is collected in relation to the cost of the cameras!
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 01:34 AM   #2583
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
It's the vehicle of the owner, thus his responsibility what happens to it. Unless you can prove your car was stolen or something like that.
No. It's the responsibility of the person DRIVING the car. He or she must obey the traffic laws. If a cop pulls them over he's not going to write a speeding ticket to the vehicle's owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon Kruijk
That is indeed the easiest way, and it saves a lot of trouble when you might have to prove who was driving, et
I sure hope they'll have to prove who was driving. Isn't that the point of justice? You can't just go around making assumptions when a law is broken; someone should have to PROVE that you did whatever you've been charged with. I don't want to get in trouble for something I haven't done just to "save a lot of trouble" for the authorities.
Billpa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 01:35 AM   #2584
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506 View Post
Don't most insurance companies in the U.S. follow that policy? It's like if a gun is stolen from your house and you don't report it to the police as theft, then you will be responsible for it if a crime was committed with the gun.
Oh, this isn't how it should be. One thing is getting a simple fine b/c of someone else speeding with your car (though you can't be happy with it), other thing is when someone runs over a pedestrian with your car.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 06:31 AM   #2585
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

The Dan Ryan - Chicago

Old July 9th, 2008, 07:32 AM   #2586
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Went to the park today, and running over that park is an I-90 bridge. I snapped a few not-so-good photos off of my phone. Sorry for the quality, that was about as good as it can get with the bright sun.

This I-90 bridge carries traffic on four lanes in each direction (3 general purpose + 1 HOV) and also a two-lane center reversible HOV system.. This section of the bridge is also where the center reversible 2-lane HOV begins/ends. Carrying a total of 10 lanes of traffic, the bridge also has shoulders on both sides of traffic (each direction) and a separate bicycle path on the side. I believe the bridge is relatively new compared to surrounding structures. Possibly not more than 20 years old.

First an aerial view from Google Maps.

Looking east

Looking west. Notice the person near the bridge support. It's actually a bigger bridge than it seems on the picture.

Looking west again.

Looking north at the houses.

Looking northeast about 500 feet away from the bridge.

Looking northwest.

Looking northwest again with the picknick area.

Last edited by HAWC1506; July 9th, 2008 at 08:16 AM.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 08:06 AM   #2587
HAWC1506

Also, the stretch of I-90 on the island just west of that bridge earned an award for design.

Here's the Google Map location for you to explore a bit. Just follow I-90 throughout that whole island and I must say, it's quite impressive. The satellite pictures are very new, so you can see the construction activity that's going on there. The project is adding an additional HOV lane to the outer roadways, adding on to the reversibles that already exist.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=...=13&iwloc=addr

Last edited by HAWC1506; July 9th, 2008 at 08:11 AM.
Old July 9th, 2008, 09:42 AM   #2588
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506 View Post
Don't most insurance companies in the U.S. follow that policy? It's like if a gun is stolen from your house and you don't report it to the police as theft, then you will be responsible for it if a crime was committed with the gun.
no, gun laws are very different from driving laws. Theres a reason there isnt a waiting period to buy a car. My uncle totaled my moms car last year and got charged with reckless driving, not my mom.
en1044 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 08:32 PM   #2589
HAWC1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
no, gun laws are very different from driving laws. Theres a reason there isnt a waiting period to buy a car. My uncle totaled my moms car last year and got charged with reckless driving, not my mom.
I guess that's more reasonable for the owner of the car. But then your mom's insurance rate would go up still right?
Old July 10th, 2008, 02:22 AM   #2590
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19132

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
That's interesting. I'll be driving from Phoenix to Austin during the middle of this month. I can't wait. Plus I'm taking my favorite airline American Airlines out to Phoenix so it will be a fun travel trip.
I did I-10 from Florida to LA in 2001.
Anyway I hope you'll take some pictures.
When I was there they were doing some resurfacing east from El Paso. I wonder how the route looks now.
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 05:25 AM   #2591
Tritons

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Do they have a lot of these in the United States?
Well, they love the red light cameras here in San Diego, 'cause they put them in all over the county. They've also reconfigured many of them to snap pictures from the rear of the car rather than from the front, because a lot of drivers drive around without a front license plate (which is illegal in CA) and they couldn't give some people a ticket if they didn't have a front plate. With the new cameras, now they're guaranteed to have a visible license plate.
Tritons no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 09:03 AM   #2592
jchernin

Likes (Received): 536

Quote:
Do they have a lot of these in the United States?
u see them everywhere in cali.

Quote:
Interesting stats I found about the condition of Interstate Highways throughout the United States.

[IMG]http://i32.************/2mxllk.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i29.************/2hi1rfd.png[/IMG]
wow, california is like at the bottom of every list. how embarrassing
jchernin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 09:47 AM   #2593
H123Laci
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by X236K View Post
In Czech, the driver must be unambiguously recognizable on the picture that is attached to the fine... otherwise the owner of the car may refuse to tell who actualy drove (if the driver was a family member).
Cool!

So you need a fake moustache and a sunglasses and you are untouchable...
H123Laci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 03:45 PM   #2594
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

About this list of Interstate conditions: it is really bad in MA, I wonder what they call good and what they call poor.
Old July 10th, 2008, 09:40 PM   #2595
HAWC1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon Kruijk View Post
About this list of Interstate conditions: it is really bad in MA, I wonder what they call good and what they call poor.
Yeah same here, the only reply I ever hear when I ask that question is that "the condition is bad." I think that says something though haha.
Old July 10th, 2008, 09:54 PM   #2596
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

The road ahead is empty.
It's paved with miles of the unknown.

This song suits really well. (City to City - The Road Ahead)
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 02:05 AM   #2597
HAWC1506

You, sir, just made my day.
Old July 12th, 2008, 09:32 PM   #2598
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4266

That's not an Interstate, though.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2008, 09:33 PM   #2599
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

No, it's US 93 between Las Vegas and Reno.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2008, 10:02 PM   #2600
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
I did I-10 from Florida to LA in 2001.
Anyway I hope you'll take some pictures.
When I was there they were doing some resurfacing east from El Paso. I wonder how the route looks now.
Wow that sounds like a great trip. I'll definitely take some pictures.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban