daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 13th, 2008, 10:07 PM   #2601
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

What do you guys think about Philadelphia? How's traffic there? Traffic.com doesn't report that many traffic jams, though I see on Google Earth there aren't so many expressways, and the ones that exist aren't wide (Schuylkill is only 4 lanes). They have some massive boulevards though, the Roosevelt Boulevard is 12 lanes wide.

However, Philly's suburbs are not very dense, spread out, and the agglomeration sprawls out over a gigantic area, also in New Jersey. Philadelphia city proper, however, looks very old, especially the residential area's.

I really love the name "Philadelphia". I think it's one of the most beautiful names for any major US city.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 14th, 2008, 12:43 AM   #2602
hoosier

Likes (Received): 58

I thought it worth mentioning that there will be a formal groundbreaking ceremony on Monday, July 14th for construction on the first segment of new terrain I-69 in Indiana. The segment is 1.77 miles long and will run from the I-64/I-164 interchange to SR 68. The price tag is $25.3 million.

Furthermore, the state plans to have work either finished or substantially completed on the first three segments of I-69 by 2015. This would mean a limited access freeway would exist from I-64 to U.S. 231 just NW of Crane Naval Warfare Center, a distance of nearly 70 miles.

Last edited by hoosier; July 14th, 2008 at 12:49 AM.
hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 12:56 AM   #2603
hoosier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
What do you guys think about Philadelphia? How's traffic there? Traffic.com doesn't report that many traffic jams, though I see on Google Earth there aren't so many expressways, and the ones that exist aren't wide (Schuylkill is only 4 lanes). They have some massive boulevards though, the Roosevelt Boulevard is 12 lanes wide.

However, Philly's suburbs are not very dense, spread out, and the agglomeration sprawls out over a gigantic area, also in New Jersey. Philadelphia city proper, however, looks very old, especially the residential area's.

I really love the name "Philadelphia". I think it's one of the most beautiful names for any major US city.

Philadelphia is a very old city by American standards, having been founded by Quakers in the 1680s.

The city had an extensive freeway system planned but many routes were cancelled as they would have carved thorugh dense and long-established neighborhoods. Coincidentally, there were also plans for a far more extensive subway system in the city than exists today.

Currently, I think the Philadelphia metro area has an adequate freeway system in terms of coverage and length but their location and especially condition leave much to be desired. The poor condition of the roads is due to their old age. As with most urban freeway systems, Philly's requires extensive upgrading and lane addition in certain parts.
Old July 14th, 2008, 02:12 AM   #2604
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19130

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
Wow that sounds like a great trip. I'll definitely take some pictures.
We drove from Orlando through New Orleans, El Paso, Phoenix, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Death Valley, Yosemite, San Francisco to LA and then all the way back to Florida, to Miami actually.
It was around 6500 miles in 15 days
Unfortunately it was before I bought my camera so I don't really have pictures from that trip
But I didn't make this mistake again and next time I went to US I had my camera ready
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 03:30 PM   #2605
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Abandoned Pennsylvania Turnpike, not far east from Breezewood, PA.

This section included 3 tunnels, which had, at that time, only one tube. It was considered less expensive to construct a whole new section of the Turnpike than to add a second tube.
Old July 14th, 2008, 03:42 PM   #2606
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The Delaware Bridge between Delaware and New Jersey. It currently carries Interstate 295, however I think they'd better reroute I-95 across this bridge and the New Jersey Turnpike, giving a more direct route between New York and Baltimore.
[IMG]http://i36.************/eqcu1d.jpg[/IMG]
Old July 14th, 2008, 04:27 PM   #2607
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Interstate 70 in the Glenwood Canyon, Colorado:

Highway number overlap of two different states:

Underground Coal Fire in Centralia, PA destroying a State Route:
Old July 14th, 2008, 06:10 PM   #2608
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Abandoned Pennsylvania Turnpike, not far east from Breezewood, PA.

[snip]

This section included 3 tunnels, which had, at that time, only one tube. It was considered less expensive to construct a whole new section of the Turnpike than to add a second tube.
This section of abandoned highway, including the two tunnels, is being converted into a bicycle/recreation trail.

I have always thought that it would me a great location for shooting post-apocalyptic movies, too.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 11:03 PM   #2609
hoosier

Quote:
The Delaware Bridge between Delaware and New Jersey. It currently carries Interstate 295, however I think they'd better reroute I-95 across this bridge and the New Jersey Turnpike, giving a more direct route between New York and Baltimore.
Well, changing the number of the turnpike really doesn't make any difference. The reason the southern part of the NJ turnpike is not numbered I-95 is because the Federal Highway administration wanted I-95 to run through Philadelphia. Originally, I-95 was meant to continue north from Ternton, NJ and merge with the NJ Turnpike in SW Metro New York City near New Brunswick, but residents along the corridor revolted and it was never built.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somerset_Freeway

Currently, Pennsylvania is constructing an interchange between I-276 and I-95, afterwards the easternmost leg of I-276 will be designated as I-95 which ends at the NJ Turnpike SE of Trenton. Then I-95 and the NJ Turnpike will run together through the rest of the state.
Old July 17th, 2008, 07:26 AM   #2610
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4266

Quote:

The Schuylkill Expressway is terrible. It is 30 years outdated, but they can't widen it because it's along the river. It jams up all of the time.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2008, 07:31 AM   #2611
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4266

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
Well, changing the number of the turnpike really doesn't make any difference. The reason the southern part of the NJ turnpike is not numbered I-95 is because the Federal Highway administration wanted I-95 to run through Philadelphia. Originally, I-95 was meant to continue north from Ternton, NJ and merge with the NJ Turnpike in SW Metro New York City near New Brunswick, but residents along the corridor revolted and it was never built.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somerset_Freeway

Currently, Pennsylvania is constructing an interchange between I-276 and I-95, afterwards the easternmost leg of I-276 will be designated as I-95 which ends at the NJ Turnpike SE of Trenton. Then I-95 and the NJ Turnpike will run together through the rest of the state.
Additionally, the Federal government was lucky to be able to sign any part of the Turnpike as I-95. new Jersey built the Turnpike and other expressways before the Interstates, and I beliebe that they originally told the government to build a completely new I-95 all the way into New York.

I think it's fine the way that it is, with I-295 carrying traffic to the New Jersey Turnpike. Traffic can get bad here in Delaware as you apporach the split, since out-of-state traffic is weaving all over the place to get into a lane for their destination, but the state puts up signs that are miles ahead telling people what side of I-95 they need to get on, depending on if they're going to Philadelphia or New York. I think the first sign telling people about the split is right when you cross in from Maryland.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2008, 10:06 AM   #2612
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

I am going to be meeting two WSDOT engineers for a job shadow in a few days. If you guys would like me to ask them any questions, please tell me, and I will try to take some notes.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2008, 04:21 PM   #2613
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Yesterday I made some pics of the I-95 north, and of the I-93 north. Boston centre-Peabody. I'll post them when I get home (takes another month), because I've left my camera cable at home.
Old July 20th, 2008, 05:44 AM   #2614
go_leafs_go02

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by H123Laci View Post
Cool!

So you need a fake moustache and a sunglasses and you are untouchable...
you haven't seen the latest episode of Top Gear then have you? :P
go_leafs_go02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 08:40 AM   #2615
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506 View Post
I am going to be meeting two WSDOT engineers for a job shadow in a few days. If you guys would like me to ask them any questions, please tell me, and I will try to take some notes.
Yeah, why the hell the WA DOT switched back to outdated US customary system?
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 05:57 AM   #2616
Timon91
Error

I also made some pics of the state road 2 in MA. Quite a good road actually (also for speeding, on sunday morning )
Old July 24th, 2008, 07:29 PM   #2617
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon Kruijk View Post
I also made some pics of the state road 2 in MA. Quite a good road actually (also for speeding, on sunday morning )
Kewl, can you post them in the Non-interstate thread? I'd like to see them.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 11:58 PM   #2618
Timon91
Error

I will, as soon as I get home. Now I just have to take care that I don't accidently delete all my pics.
Old July 26th, 2008, 10:28 PM   #2619
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Okay guys, here's a batch of pictures. There are I-90, I-405 and I-5 in Washington State. I took them on my trip to Mt. Rainier. Sorry about the quality though, I was stuck in the third row of a Toyota Sienna.

I-90. This one's a little confusing. The Eastbound direction is cut off on the right. So what you are seeing is westbound and an on-ramp.

Right before the I-90 and I-405 interchange. I had to take this out the back window.

Again

On a I-405 ramp overpass

I-405 pics

Now here are I-5s coming back from the trip.

Then a few more I-405s

I-405 coming onto I-90

A little past the I-405 and I-90 interchange. The left ramp is a direct access HOV ramp. Notice the salmon by the junction.

Enjoy!

Last edited by HAWC1506; July 26th, 2008 at 10:34 PM.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 10:43 PM   #2620
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Beautiful and smooth. Thanks for sharing.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban