daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 27th, 2008, 04:53 AM   #2621
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Great pics
Yesterday I made a few pics (5 or sth) of the I-85 southbound in GA.

Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2008, 07:17 AM   #2622
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Beautiful and smooth. Thanks for sharing.
I-90 is pretty nice. I-405 is also pretty nice (for the most part). They're both mainly asphalt, but due to studded tire use, the pavement is actually very rough. Ruts begin to develop after a while. The concrete ones are the really bad ones though. I-5 through Seattle has not been touched since its construction in the 1960s. I'll see if I can get some pictures of those later.

Even the best highways here still lag behind most European countries though.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 07:38 AM   #2623
-Corey-
Je suis tout ŕ vous

Likes (Received): 5227

Damn, California is always on the bottom

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 10:32 AM   #2624
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
Also, many exit signs still don't have the exit numbers (California was one of the last states to implement exit numbering).
As always, Caltrans doesn't have enough money, so they only add the exit numbers if they have to maintain or replace a sign. It could take well over a decade before all signs have exit numbers. From what I've seen from pictures, some signs seems to be over 4 - 5 decades old.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 10:32 AM   #2625
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

A month ago, I drove from Pullman, WA to Sacramento, CA (~1300 km). Since my wife is not keen on highway photography, no pictures from me However, I could observe some interesting differences between three states that we passed - namely, California, Oregon and Washington.

The best drivers are Oregonians, hands down. The worst cops are in Washington. The most lenient cops were of California Highway Patrol. The worst drivers are Californians, hands down. What bothered me in California was the absence of green mile-markers. In California, they put white markers that have very small font and show the county name and the number of miles since the beginning in this particular county. Looks like they are installed for DOT/CHP and are not very helpful for ordinary drivers. Also, many exit signs still don't have the exit numbers (California was one of the last states to implement exit numbering).
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2008, 12:06 AM   #2626
HAWC1506

Quote:
The worst cops are in Washington.
Care to define "worst"?
Old July 28th, 2008, 03:39 AM   #2627
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3706

Quote:
A month ago, I drove from Pullman, WA to Sacramento, CA (~1300 km). Since my wife is not keen on highway photography, no pictures from me However, I could observe some interesting differences between three states that we passed - namely, California, Oregon and Washington.

The best drivers are Oregonians, hands down. The worst cops are in Washington. The most lenient cops were of California Highway Patrol. The worst drivers are Californians, hands down. What bothered me in California was the absence of green mile-markers. In California, they put white markers that have very small font and show the county name and the number of miles since the beginning in this particular county. Looks like they are installed for DOT/CHP and are not very helpful for ordinary drivers. Also, many exit signs still don't have the exit numbers (California was one of the last states to implement exit numbering).
Been to the Baltimore/DC metro area? Drivers are very stupid here. And aren't Oregon drivers stupid in the Portland area?
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2008, 08:18 PM   #2628
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10380

Alex, have you ever been to the East Coast? I think you would HATE the drivers here.

Drivers in the Northwest, from what I have heard, tend to be the best in the nation.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2008, 10:19 PM   #2629
LtBk

Best in what? I personally think US drivers are stupid compared to European drivers(with some exceptions of course).
Old July 28th, 2008, 10:44 PM   #2630
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I've seen lots of driving video's from Illnesinthesand on youtube, and what would bother me the most as a European drivers is that everybody just sticks in a lane he likes, both cars and trucks. I hate that, you have to switch lanes all the time to overtake someone.
Besides that, traffic seems to be kind of disciplined, everybody takes their time. In Europe, there are non-stop guys on the left lane driving as fast as possible. You feel hunted if you overtake someone at the speed limit (=75 - 80 mph).
Old July 28th, 2008, 11:28 PM   #2631
LtBk

People here do overtake at speeds higher that the speed limit. I personally don't take care if people is overtaking everybody at 80+mph speeds as long as they know what they dong.
Old July 29th, 2008, 01:13 AM   #2632
HAWC1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
I've seen lots of driving video's from Illnesinthesand on youtube, and what would bother me the most as a European drivers is that everybody just sticks in a lane he likes, both cars and trucks. I hate that, you have to switch lanes all the time to overtake someone.
Besides that, traffic seems to be kind of disciplined, everybody takes their time. In Europe, there are non-stop guys on the left lane driving as fast as possible. You feel hunted if you overtake someone at the speed limit (=75 - 80 mph).
Unfortunately, it's an American legacy. Even in drivers ed, you will see driving instructors overtake on the right. It will take lots and lots of time and effort to correct this habit (if they even bother correcting it at all).
Old July 29th, 2008, 02:54 AM   #2633
Timon91
Error

My experience of US drivers is that they are more dangerous in especially overtaking. Because on Interstates there are a lot of 'exit only' lanes and you drive on one before you know. People are thus more eager to take the middle lane, causing faster drivers to overtake on the right.
Old July 29th, 2008, 09:29 AM   #2634
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Instead of those "exit only" signs, they should make a different road marking for exit lanes. We do it this way in the Netherlands:

Old July 29th, 2008, 09:54 AM   #2635
pi_malejana

Likes (Received): 188

here's the Delaware Memorial Bridge which carries I-295...

Old July 29th, 2008, 09:28 PM   #2636
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

A couple from around my metro, I-4, I-275, I-375

I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 10:11 PM   #2637
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There doesn't seem to be damage to the Los Angeles freeways after the 5.8 earthquake that hit around noon local time.

There seem to be some problems on the 91 freeway according to sigalert:

Quote:
Per 86-95 North 241 to East 91, Separation on the Bridge, Its a Pretty Good Size, There is a Separation Gap, Advise Caltrans to Look at

Perm 86-91 K, the Transition West 91 to South 241, at the Bridges Crosses Over the North Transition Separated Out, Obvious Signs of Separation, Need Caltrans to Check

Will Lanes Need to Be Closed? Thanx Transportation Management Center

Not on the Lanes Being Shut Down, the Bridges Need to Be Checked Out

Per 86-S3, Have the 405 /55 Units Check the Bridge Overpasses and Transition Roads at 55 and 405
edit:

Quote:
On Scene in the Area, Both Flyover, Car Pool Lanes, to the 405 /5 Area and the Truck Bypass, All the Expansions Joints Are Larger Than Normal, Request Caltrans

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; July 29th, 2008 at 10:33 PM.
Old July 29th, 2008, 10:14 PM   #2638
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10380

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
Best in what? I personally think US drivers are stupid compared to European drivers(with some exceptions of course).
According to this link:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/AUTOS/05/26/...tes/index.html

Oregon and Washington were found to have the best results from a state drivers test (don't ask me which one), and not surprising, Rhode Island and Massachusetts ranked among the lowest. Not surprising to me...drivers here are the worst. No signaling when changing lanes and hogging the left lane is the majority here.

My state, Connecticut, was 44 out of 51 (DC was counted).

As for comparing us to European drivers, maybe so.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 11:06 PM   #2639
LtBk

From what i read, left hoggers are common in Seattle and Portland areas. Americans drivers are so selfish.
Old July 29th, 2008, 11:53 PM   #2640
Timon91
Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
Instead of those "exit only" signs, they should make a different road marking for exit lanes. We do it this way in the Netherlands:
This is the best way to handle it. I hardly see people overtaking on the right in NL.

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban