daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 30th, 2008, 01:51 AM   #2641
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
From what i read, left hoggers are common in Seattle and Portland areas. Americans drivers are so selfish.
Left lane hogging is an epidemic in Seattle, it drives me nuts, omgahh
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2008, 01:54 AM   #2642
HAWC1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
Instead of those "exit only" signs, they should make a different road marking for exit lanes. We do it this way in the Netherlands:

The U.S. does too, at least in Washington.

Old July 30th, 2008, 06:53 AM   #2643
HAWC1506

Is someone hired to mow the grass on Dutch highways? That looks better than my lawn.
Old July 30th, 2008, 11:27 AM   #2644
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

They do that from time to time. However, sometimes American landscaping looks even better. In the Netherlands, it's just grass, in other countries they also put some nice palm trees, flowers, etc.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2008, 06:33 PM   #2645
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

And in the Netherlands the grass stays greener because we don't have the big droughts like in the US. In Georgia some people paint their grass green because they're not allowed to water it.
Old July 30th, 2008, 07:04 PM   #2646
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10394

Here, they make small-time offenders and laborers mow the lawns in the median.

Always seeing big yellow signs with the word "MOWING" frequently.

I feel sorry for them at times, especially when it's hot like it is now.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2008, 07:22 PM   #2647
pwalker

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506 View Post
Left lane hogging is an epidemic in Seattle, it drives me nuts, omgahh
Yes, and what is even more frustrating is many do it on purpose because they don't want people driving over the speed limit. Seattle is filled with elitist drivers who would be run off the road in places like Boston or D.C.
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2008, 09:55 PM   #2648
HAWC1506

Quote:
They do that from time to time. However, sometimes American landscaping looks even better. In the Netherlands, it's just grass, in other countries they also put some nice palm trees, flowers, etc.
Most of the time though, the median is just a concrete barrier and it is really an eye sore. Concrete becomes dark and cracks after a while and it gives a sort of old, run-down feeling to the highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10ROT View Post
Here, they make small-time offenders and laborers mow the lawns in the median.

Always seeing big yellow signs with the word "MOWING" frequently.

I feel sorry for them at times, especially when it's hot like it is now.
I sometimes see Washington State troopers supervise traffic violators picking up trash off to the side of the road.

Now, here's my vision of an ideal U.S. highway.

Old July 30th, 2008, 11:50 PM   #2649
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3707

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker View Post
Yes, and what is even more frustrating is many do it on purpose because they don't want people driving over the speed limit. Seattle is filled with elitist drivers who would be run off the road in places like Boston or D.C.
Baltimore has those drivers too.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 12:30 AM   #2650
HAWC1506

Quote:
Baltimore has those drivers too.
I'd love it if a law was passed that would suspend licenses for a year for passing on the right and hogging the left lane. Half the drivers in the U.S. will disappear.
Old July 31st, 2008, 05:41 AM   #2651
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3707

Yet some European forumers think US drivers are disciplined.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 09:26 AM   #2652
HAWC1506

Quote:
Yet some European forumers think US drivers are disciplined.
oh good god...well I guess there's a difference between polite and disciplined. Polite, yes I think American drivers are much more polite than European drivers.
Old July 31st, 2008, 07:04 PM   #2653
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10394

It depends on the metro.

Connecticut drivers are relatively polite (they suck, but it's more of a passive style), but drivers in Boston and New York are not in any word polite. Road rage is common there.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 08:25 PM   #2654
rick1016

Likes (Received): 15

This question may have already been asked, but are there certain areas in the US where Interstates are paved specifically with asphalt, and others concrete?
rick1016 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 11:55 PM   #2655
HAWC1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick1016 View Post
This question may have already been asked, but are there certain areas in the US where Interstates are paved specifically with asphalt, and others concrete?
Generally, areas with high volume traffic are paved with Portland Concrete Cement. Outside of city cores though, the pavement becomes Hot-Mixed Dense-Graded Asphalt. Then once you get into mountains where there are colder, harsher weather patterns, again the road surface will become concrete. The reasoning behind that is because concrete is less prone to rutting from studded tires.

Sometimes though for resurfacing projects in city cores, another type of pavement is used. It's called polyester concrete. Regular PCC pavement takes weeks to dry and fully settle and obviously, it is impossible to close down an entire highway in the middle of downtown for a month. The polyester concrete is then used because it dries in two to three hours. In Seattle once, it rained during resurfacing so crews bought an old jet engine that was turned into a giant blow dryer to help the polyester concrete dry. During that project, 2 to 3 lanes of northbound I-5 closed around the clock Aug. 10-25, 2007 for 1.13 miles.

Now there are several pilot projects that are beginning to use Open-Graded Friction-Course asphalt, which is porous and as a result, much quieter. Those are generally in the suburbs where residential units are close to the highway. Currently, two types of quieter asphalt are being tested. There is a polymer-modified asphalt and there is also a rubberized asphalt and both are porous. They are currently being tested for durability.

Then there is also quieter concrete, but that is just PCC with different texturing techniques. Here's the Washington DOT Description:

Quieter concrete – made quieter by using different texturing techniques.

* Longitudinal tining – creates shallow channels in the concrete using a rake. Longitudinal tining is different than traditional transverse tining because the channels are made in the direction of traffic flow.
* Diamond and whisper grinding – used on existing concrete. Crews use diamond saw blades to remove a thin layer of hardened concrete creating a texture pattern similar to corduroy.
* Dragging – includes carpet, burlap and Astroturf™ dragging. Crews drag an inverted section of artificial turf or other material behind the paving machine.

Just for fun, here's the blow dryer:

Last edited by HAWC1506; August 1st, 2008 at 05:51 AM.
Old August 1st, 2008, 09:27 AM   #2656
ChrisZwolle
Road user

About the noise issue;

PAC is the quietest, but also needs to be repaved the most often. Hence, where you need it the most (urban area's), you can't because you would have to repave roads around the clock. I noticed PAC already has track formation in 2 - 3 years after being paved.

PAC is doing very well in rain (no splashing up), but it does particularly bad in ice storms, since all the vents will fill up with ice, so you can practically ice skate on it. Therefore, PAC is not suited for area's which are prone to ice and snowstorms.
Old August 1st, 2008, 01:37 PM   #2657
HAWC1506

Could you tell me what PAC stands for? I don't think I have ever heard that term before. By the way, I think it was in the German Autobahn thread when we were talking about pavements, you mentioned Dense-graded Asphalt Cement used on the Autobahn. That turns out to be similar to what most northern states in the U.S. use. Dense-graded Asphalt Cement is similar to the dense-graded hot-mixed asphalt. I am not sure what the slight differences are, the engineer that I asked only said that "HMA and asphalt concrete are similar."

Quote:
I noticed PAC already has track formation in 2 - 3 years after being paved.
Wow that's not a very durable pavement. Do you know where they are used? I doubt that will ever pass in the United States since we tend to build a road and leave it for 15-20 years before touching it again...
Old August 1st, 2008, 02:18 PM   #2658
ChrisZwolle
Road user

PAC = Porous Asphalt Concrete.
Old August 2nd, 2008, 02:41 AM   #2659
HAWC1506

Quote:
PAC = Porous Asphalt Concrete.
Ohhh yeah Washington tested a type of porous asphalt and ruts developed within four years.

Here's a picture.

Now here's the data for quieter pavement.

I'm guessing that the drop in April was due to the steep rise in gas prices, resulting in less noise on the highway.
Old August 2nd, 2008, 04:29 AM   #2660
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

^ that pic looks like the road was opened to traffic when the asphalt was to warm

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban