daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 14th, 2008, 03:54 PM   #2761
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

I noticed even LA has few traffic jams during the summer months. When can we expect the holiday season to be over, and traffic turning back to normal? In Europe, it differs a bit, southern countries have usually the entire month of august vacation, while northern countries usually go during Juli, the Netherlands and Germany for instance already coming back from holidays and go to school.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 14th, 2008, 07:30 PM   #2762
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3706

Maybe its due to high gas prices? Americans don't have long vacations like many countries do.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2008, 07:44 PM   #2763
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The number of miles driven should decrease way more than those 60 miles/month/drivers license they seen now, in order to have nearly no traffic jams.
Old August 15th, 2008, 02:48 AM   #2764
hoosier

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakRidge View Post
And then their is the cost issue. Making a vehicle achieve 40mpg is not really necessary if gasoline is cheap. What's the point? Had Europe developed around the automobile, had gas been cheaper in Europe, and had population density been similar to that of the United States I am sure that European car development would have been similar to the development of the automobile in the United States.
The U.S. is pretty densely populated in many parts, there are just a few states that are pretty empty. It was conscious government policy to build America for the automobile. Streetcars lines were torn up, billions were pumped into airports and roads and rail was left at a huge comparative disadvantage. Local zoning laws permitted auto-centric sprawl and racism led whites to flee the inner-city.

Good MPG is important because burning less gas produces less toxic air pollution.

Europe has a dense freeway system in addition to a good passenger rail network. Europena governments aren't controlled by auto manufacturers and oil companies.
Old August 15th, 2008, 07:15 PM   #2765
X236K

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
Good MPG is important because burning less gas produces less toxic air pollution.
Pollution is IMHO a secondary problem in developed countries. Current economic slowdown, soaring material prices and Peak Oil are the topics of the day. Soon the gas polution problem will start to disappear as less and less crude will be available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
Europe has a dense freeway system in addition to a good passenger rail network. Europena governments aren't controlled by auto manufacturers and oil companies.
Europe is controlled by European Commission which is controlled by... ergh...? How are they elected..? Who controls them..?
X236K no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2008, 02:49 PM   #2766
horiababu

Likes (Received): 0

Oh, i heard also about policemen in Miami who don't know English. Is that true?
horiababu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2008, 08:26 PM   #2767
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
I noticed even LA has few traffic jams during the summer months. When can we expect the holiday season to be over, and traffic turning back to normal? In Europe, it differs a bit, southern countries have usually the entire month of august vacation, while northern countries usually go during Juli, the Netherlands and Germany for instance already coming back from holidays and go to school.
Summer usually loosens up a bit with most people traveling somewhere else. I noticed that during the summer, rural traffic increases by quite a bit though. I traveled through I-90 and I-82 and I don't think I have ever seen so many cars on rural highways. It could be that summer is an agricultural season so all the farmers and trucks start doing traveling.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2008, 10:34 PM   #2768
swaugh3

Likes (Received): 7

Denver: The Controversy of Interstate 470

For some reason, Interstate 470 was never constructed. Instead we now have E-470, a toll highway that spans the eastern half of the supposed-to-be beltway and Colorado 470 (C-470 by locals) that takes up the western half. Both highways have yet to form a complete beltway as the northwest segment has yet to be built. Toll or no toll, why wasn't Interstate 470 constructed?
swaugh3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2008, 10:36 PM   #2769
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Wikipedia:

Quote:
Originally planned as Interstate 470 in the 1960s, the beltway project was attacked on environmental impact grounds and the interstate beltway was never built. The portion of "Interstate 470" that was built as a state highway is the present-day SH 470, which is a freeway for its entire length.
So, same thing in a different package. You see that in Europe too, with expressways which meet motorway standards popping up all over the continent, especially in Central and Southern Europe.
Old August 17th, 2008, 06:50 AM   #2770
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
Wikipedia:

So, same thing in a different package. You see that in Europe too, with expressways which meet motorway standards popping up all over the continent, especially in Central and Southern Europe.
Also, the money that was budgeted for I-470 was instead spent on metro-area transit improvements. Since the need for the road happened anyway, the only way to get it financed was through toll revenue bonds.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 05:54 AM   #2771
Mr. Met

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgplayer19 View Post
What a nonsense!Why would they built a multilane higway all the way to Churchill(pop:1000 I think).In my point of view it's better to connect Winnipeg and Regina
It may not be important where it starts or ends, I think it is more important of what is between the two.
Mr. Met no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 09:45 AM   #2772
HAWC1506

Okay most ridiculous piece of news I've EVER heard:

Don't be a slowpoke in left lane, police say

By Yoshiaki Nohara and Jerry Cornfield, Herald Writers
It's a problem that many drivers cause on freeways without knowing it's illegal.

It's against the state law to go slow in the left lane of highways and back up traffic. Violators could face a fine of $124.

Troopers rarely issue a ticket, State Patrol trooper Keith Leary said. They try to educate drivers that the fast lane is meant to be used for passing, Leary said. Once a driver finishes passing another vehicle, they need to return to the right lanes.

"It's something people forget about," Leary said.

Slow drivers in the fast lane frustrate others, Leary said.

"It could definitely be a trigger for road rage," he said.

Tom Santeford of Camano Island said that sometimes he see drivers going too slowly in the passing lane. Many drivers also go much faster than the speed limit in that lane and stay there after passing other vehicles.

Allowing drivers to go faster along the passing lane than in other lanes would improve traffic flow, Santeford said.

His wife Kelly Santeford said that some drivers seem to be using carpool lanes for passing. The state finished widening I-5 with new carpool lanes in Everett this year to move traffic faster.

"It's little confusing sometimes," she said.

Carpool lanes aren't to be used for passing, Leary said.

Herb Durant and Tasha Nagy often drive from Abbotsford in British Columbia to Seattle to spend a weekend. Slow drivers back up traffic in the left lane in that province as well, but it's legal do so there.

The couple said they didn't know it's illegal in Washington. Durant said he usually drives in the very right lane along I-5.

"I have a lot of patience for driving. I love to drive slow," Durant said.

He said he can see why going slow in the passing lane is dangerous.

"They should get a ticket," he said. "They are as dangerous as going at 120 (mph)."

State lawmakers say they are not considering changing the law. They want the State Patrol to focus on education rather than ticketing for enforcement.

Rep. Liz Loomis, D-Snohomish, the vice chairwoman of the House Transportation Committee, said that she hopes the State Patrol is emphasizing the "common courtesy" involved in slower drivers getting out of the fast lane so the flow of traffic isn't impeded.

"I wouldn't be running around giving people tickets," Loomis said "I would be out educating people about why it's the law and why it's just common courtesy to stay in the right lane to let faster traffic pass you."

The law's intent is to make sure the flow of traffic is maximized and bottlenecks prevented, said Rep. Norma Smith, R-Clinton, a member of the House Transportation Committee.

"If there are people creating a hazard you want the State Patrol to do what's appropriate," she said. "I would expect the State Patrol will use common sense."

Danise Bell of Marysville said that she tries to avoid driving in the passing lane where drivers go too fast or too slow.

"I see them a lot," Bell said. "It causes traffic problems. It becomes a mess."

Troopers should ticket those drivers, Bell said. A law without enforcement is worthless.

Troopers don't plan to crack down on drivers in the left lane, Leary said. They want drivers to know the law and follow it.

"This is not an old law we are dusting off to come after you," he said.
Old August 25th, 2008, 10:01 AM   #2773
G5man
High Speed Rail fan

Likes (Received): 37

That was on the major Seattle TV stations about a month or two ago. I see quite a few people that create blockades from going the same speed in the left lane as the guy in the right which does get irritable.
G5man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 01:10 AM   #2774
HAWC1506

Yeah but what's a law if there is no enforcement?
Old August 26th, 2008, 04:17 AM   #2775
ManRegio
A darle átomos.

Likes (Received): 3072

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeimieLvr View Post
The Downtown Connector, the I-75/I-85 combination that runs several miles through Atlanta, is 8 lanes on each side much of the way. Sometimes traffic moves, sometimes it doesn't.
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gt7348b/55607824/
No frontage road on that Freeway????.
I believe that all the Freeways in the US have frontage or acces road.
Old August 26th, 2008, 05:09 AM   #2776
algonquin

Likes (Received): 22

I was on the I-90 today outside of Buffalo. The tollbooths in the US are ridiculous; there was a traffic jam just to get through the damn thing. Then another to go over Grand Island. They need to ditch those in favour of fully electronic tolling. No stopping, no slowing down, no traffic woes. And no need for a fistfull of dollar bills in your car either.
algonquin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 05:18 AM   #2777
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10381

Yeah, Grand Island is ridiculous. I feel sorry for the people living there dealing with those tolls.

The view from the north bridge of NFON's (niagara falls, ont) skyline is great though.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 05:42 AM   #2778
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManRegio View Post
No frontage road on that Freeway????.
I believe that all the Freeways in the US have frontage or acces road.
Frontage/access roads are more the exception than the rule on USA freeways/tollways. Some areas use them more than others (ie, Texas and metro Detroit, MI), but they are the exception.

Local access is normally maintained via nearby streets.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 06:21 AM   #2779
Fern~Fern*
Non-Registered User

Likes (Received): 489

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXFallenXx View Post
I'm pretty sure you're talking about the North American Union conspiracy crap, right?

^ Are you sure it's a conspiracy XfX???
Old August 26th, 2008, 06:49 AM   #2780
Sea Toby

Likes (Received): 1

The NAFTA highway will be I-69, from Laredo to Detroit. Its the only planned extension of the interstate highway system. In Texas, much of Hwy 59 and Hwy 79 will be turned into an interstate, controlled access highway. Since the state of Texas has ripped off its state gasoline tax per gallon, more than half of the tax, to fund schools and hospitals, the Texas DOT has no money. The contractor for I-69 in Texas, the formidable HPZachary will fund the highway improvements with short toll road bypasses around every town on the route. The interstate will be free between towns, but there will be significant tolls bypassing the towns, effectively building a long turnpike for through traffic.

Because of huge growth of Texas, along with the Nafta traffic, Texas roads will have double the traffic of today within 20 years. So if you think traffic is horrible now, it will be more awful in 20 years. The Trans Texas Corridors scheme of Governor Perry failed to pass in the state legislature. While the rural areas of the state have conceded that the Dallas and Houston urban areas can have toll roads, the rural areas are against toll roads in the rural areas, except for I-69.

The Texas DOT is so scrapped for money today, much less the future, they have already conceded that there won't be another state highway built. They have also said without managed lanes on the freeways, none of the freeways will be expanded. The key is the word managed lanes, another word for a toll road. At a time when much of the interstate highway system will have to be rebuilt, the state DOT only has funds to resurface current highways, there is again no money for new or expanded roads without managed lanes.

Frankly, the state of Texas needs to stop raiding the state highway tax funds, finding another alternative to fund schools and hospitals. Yes, a tax increase. Otherwise, Texas faces a huge financial crisis, come hell or high water. This information comes from the state of Texas DOT, in every highway project projected for the future.

I thought I would add a side note here at the end. Considering that the price of oil has tripled within the past two to three years, its amazing how many still refuse to increase the gasoline tax a few cents a gallon or significantly change the tax system to fund schools and hospitals. If the public can swallow $3.00 increases for a gallon of gasoline, surely several cents of new taxes is nothing in comparison.

While many northern Americans find that graph posted before unreal, the simple truth is that graph reflects trucking patterns today and projected into the future. Its the old Sun belt vs. Rust belt argument all over again. The south is growing, the north isn't. Texas is no longer the fifth largest state per population, it is now Second only to California. The Houston and Dallas/Fort Worth metroplexes have already passed Detroit, and will soon pass Philadelphia for fourth. In twenty years, both are expected to pass Chicago for third. Both within 20 years will only be behind LA and NY.

Much more trade is expected from Asia in the future. Unfortunately, we only have five transcontinental mainline railroad east-west passes. No more railroad passes are expected. Yes, the continental divide is that tough. Give credit for the five we do have to the nineteenth century railroad barrons. Thanks to Panama widening the canal, Texas and many southern ports will be expanded. Unfortunately, that can not be said of the west coast ports, all being squeezed by housing areas. There is another railroad line through northern Mexico, the South Orient line. While its a good railroad in Mexico, Union Pacific abandoned its southwest Texas connection to South Orient. The state of Texas DOT is attempting to find funds to rebuild this connection, to create a sixth railroad pass for the USA/Mexico. Canada has two passes too, but they are just as busy as ours hauling Canadian goods.

Last edited by Sea Toby; August 26th, 2008 at 07:18 AM.
Sea Toby no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban