daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 19th, 2006, 03:35 PM   #261
Cloudship

Likes (Received): 97

Is there a technical reason why they do not build a normal bridge there?
Cloudship no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 20th, 2006, 01:49 AM   #262
sequoias

Likes (Received): 14

The reason why they do not build a normal bridge is because Lake Washington is about 900+ feet deep at the deepest point which makes it nearly impossible to put in piers and stuff like that in theory.
sequoias no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 09:08 PM   #263
dwrecker

Likes (Received): 0

That pic of I-80 at the Bay Bridge toll booth is amazing. That freeway is huge out there. I think they are constructing 1-10 out here in Houston that size or so. As dense as SF is, its hard to believe that they are beat by San Diego(population wise).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bay_area

dwrecker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 09:38 PM   #264
Minato ku

Why many interstates have not fence at middle in rural area ?

Old June 20th, 2006, 09:46 PM   #265
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Does it even matter by such width...
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 10:22 PM   #266
boricuba
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

I Think from the point of being an engineer is that the U.S interstate system is not only the largest and most complete system on earth but is also the best.

It is true there are some rundown areas but the system is so extensive that the good over takes the bad.

In regards to autobahn i think is great but it suffers what mainly allot of highways, streets, avenues in Europe suffer there not wide enough! In America Interstate, avenues, streets,boulevards are more impressive than small curvy european routes. That is why American trucks are more bulky and bigger.

when the 1996 olympics in Atlanta allot of Europeans went to my school georgia tech for the aquatic sports and they were all really impress by the georgia road system some germans admitted to me that they were superior in wide lanes to autobahn.
boricuba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2006, 12:00 AM   #267
phnzn2

Sorry doublepost.

Last edited by phnzn2; June 21st, 2006 at 12:07 AM.
phnzn2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2006, 12:03 AM   #268
phnzn2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boricuba
I Think from the point of being an engineer is that the U.S interstate system is not only the largest and most complete system on earth but is also the best.

It is true there are some rundown areas but the system is so extensive that the good over takes the bad.
The US Interstate system, besides being the largest system by its size, is however not the densest one (the Autobahn system in Germany and Switzerland is much much denser). And Interstate is definitely not the best:

http://www.transact.org/library/deco...iondecoder.pdf

Half of the nationís roadways, and nearly 70 percent of urban roadways, are in poor, mediocre, or fair condition as of 2001, the most recent year for which data is available.
The state of Hawaii, with 89.7 percent of its roads in less than good condition, has the worst roads in the nation as of 2001. Missouri, where 87.5 percent of all roads are in poor, mediocre, or fair condition, is a close second. In Michigan, nearly 90 percent of urban roads are classified as in less than good condition. And in Massachusetts, more than 88 percent of the stateís rural roads were found to be in poor, mediocre, or fair condition.

Despite a fairly dismal starting point, road conditions in a handful of states actually worsened from 1994 to 2001. In the state of Utah, for example, the portion of road miles in poor, mediocre, or fair condition grew by almost 121 percent. In that 8-year period from 1994 to 2001, Californians saw a 25 percent rise in the portion of roadway miles in less than good condition.

Virginia, for example, spent only 13.4 percent of itís federal highway funds (excluding planning and engineering) on road repair and rehabilitation during the ten year period since 1992. This low spending is reflected in the condition of the stateís roads. As of 2001, nearly two-thirds of Virginiaís roadway miles were found to be in poor, mediocre, or fair condition. Yet despite the obvious need to repair existing roads, the Virginia Department of Transportation instead dedicated almost 41 percent of the stateís available federal funding to the construction of new roadway capacity.

(Also have a look at the table over there. Such proportions are rather unusual in Europe).

Quote:
In regards to autobahn i think is great but it suffers what mainly allot of highways, streets, avenues in Europe suffer there not wide enough! In America Interstate, avenues, streets,boulevards are more impressive than small curvy european routes. That is why American trucks are more bulky and bigger.

when the 1996 olympics in Atlanta allot of Europeans went to my school georgia tech for the aquatic sports and they were all really impress by the georgia road system some germans admitted to me that they were superior in wide lanes to autobahn.
When one mentioned the mediocrity of US rail you justified that by pointing the difference in transport paradigm between the 2 continents ("the US is an automobile society"). Now you just seem to overlook the difference and superimpose the US model, saying that Europe's roads "suffer" from being not as wide as those in the US.

Looks like you never cease to interchange viewpoints whenever necessary. Also, how "some" Europeans marvel at the United States seems pretty much exciting, huh ? Some Germans admit Georgia's roads are "superior" to Autobahn. Some European pilots have never seen such traffic as at O'Hare and Hartsfield. Some this, some that... That said, Georgia has, according to the aforementioned source, some of the finest roads (if not the best) of the entire US (only 2.8% are not in good condition). You probably didn't show those Germans Kansas City or Saint-Louis, I suppose ? This again illustrates how selective, one-sided your information always is.

Last edited by phnzn2; June 21st, 2006 at 01:22 AM.
Old June 21st, 2006, 12:28 AM   #269
Minato ku

U.S interstates are the opposite of French autoroute

France autoroute are good in rural area and bad in big urban area (especially inParis and Lyon)
U.S interstates are good in urban area ( L.A Houston..) but bad in rural area

German autobahn or french autoroute is a smaller network than US interstates
German autobahn over 12,000 km
French autoroute over 12,000 km
US interstates over 90,000 km

it is normal that the motorways in France or in Germany are in better condition than US interstates
Old June 21st, 2006, 12:34 AM   #270
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
As far as I know the reason for your trucks being longer is the fact that u don't have a length limit as Europe does.

And for the freeways: this Autobahn really looks like some vow wow. It's just because they are free of charge and without speed limit. Big deal. Like there's a lot of police presence on freeways. At least in Europe it isn't. Beside that they are overcrowded since there are few big rural areas in Germany, I mean I don't probably have to tell u the density of people in Germany and the US. Btw, try the freeway Salzburg (Austria, but close to Germany) - Rosenheim (50 km before Munich) and u'll be 'amazed'.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2006, 01:19 AM   #271
phnzn2

Quote:
Originally Posted by minato ku

France autoroute are good in rural area and bad in big urban area (especially inParis and Lyon)

it is normal that the motorways in France or in Germany are in better condition than US interstates
It is wrong to say that the US Interstate is better in urban area than in rural ones. It is the reverse that is true. The following source (the same as the one I gave above):

will confirm that.

Your data for the German Autobahn and the French autoroute are quite correct, but you largely overestimated the US Interstates. As of 2002, the Interstate totalizes 75,198 km (and not over 90,000 km).

Besides, there is nothing "normal" about the US Interstates being in worse conditions than the German Autobahn or the French Autoroute. How about comparing the autoroutes and Autobahn with road network in separate US state ?
Old June 21st, 2006, 01:38 AM   #272
Minato ku

Quote:
Originally Posted by phnzn2
It is wrong to say that the US Interstate is better in urban area than in rural ones. It is the reverse that is true. The following source (the same as the one I gave above):

will confirm that.

Your data for the German Autobahn and the French autoroute are quite correct, but you largely overestimated the US Interstates. As of 2002, the Interstate totalizes 75,198 km (and not over 90,000 km).

Besides, there is nothing "normal" about the US Interstates being in worse conditions than the German Autobahn or the French Autoroute. How about comparing the autoroutes and Autobahn with road network in separate US state ?
Ah interstates are financed by state
indeed by state is not normal

I overestimated U.S interstates sorry (japanese traduction in bottom )
Old June 21st, 2006, 01:42 AM   #273
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Likes (Received): 71

Taken into account the US is about 18 times larger than France, and even more comparing to Germany, the 90000km figure, although impressive, is not that amazing...
Old June 21st, 2006, 02:40 AM   #274
boricuba
BANNED

Quote:
The US Interstate system, besides being the largest system by its size, is however not the densest one (the Autobahn system in Germany and Switzerland is much much denser). And Interstate is definitely not the best:

Half of the nationís roadways, and nearly 70 percent of urban roadways, are in poor, mediocre, or fair condition as of 2001, the most recent year for which data is available.
The state of Hawaii, with 89.7 percent of its roads in less than good condition, has the worst roads in the nation as of 2001. Missouri, where 87.5 percent of all roads are in poor, mediocre, or fair condition, is a close second. In Michigan, nearly 90 percent of urban roads are classified as in less than good condition. And in Massachusetts, more than 88 percent of the stateís rural roads were found to be in poor, mediocre, or fair condition.

Despite a fairly dismal starting point, road conditions in a handful of states actually worsened from 1994 to 2001. In the state of Utah, for example, the portion of road miles in poor, mediocre, or fair condition grew by almost 121 percent. In that 8-year period from 1994 to 2001, Californians saw a 25 percent rise in the portion of roadway miles in less than good condition.

Virginia, for example, spent only 13.4 percent of itís federal highway funds (excluding planning and engineering) on road repair and rehabilitation during the ten year period since 1992. This low spending is reflected in the condition of the stateís roads. As of 2001, nearly two-thirds of Virginiaís roadway miles were found to be in poor, mediocre, or fair condition. Yet despite the obvious need to repair existing roads, the Virginia Department of Transportation instead dedicated almost 41 percent of the stateís available federal funding to the construction of new roadway capacity.

(Also have a look at the table over there. Such proportions are rather unusual in Europe).

When one mentioned the mediocrity of US rail you justified that by pointing the difference in transport paradigm between the 2 continents ("the US is an automobile society"). Now you just seem to overlook the difference and superimpose the US model, saying that Europe's roads "suffer" from being not as wide as those in the US.

Looks like you never cease to interchange viewpoints whenever necessary. Also, how "some" Europeans marvel at the United States seems pretty much exciting, huh ? Some Germans admit Georgia's roads are "superior" to Autobahn. Some European pilots have never seen such traffic as at O'Hare and Hartsfield. Some this, some that... That said, Georgia has, according to the aforementioned source, some of the finest roads (if not the best) of the entire US (only 2.8% are not in good condition). You probably didn't show those Germans Kansas City or Saint-Louis, I suppose ? This again illustrates how selective, one-sided your information always is.

I am not talking about density! At All

You confused personal experiences with your that is why thery are called personal experience.

Let me tell you you butt in into every single argument that i made trolling around all forums looking for me!

You are always looking and talking about something else.

I am an engineer and you are not!

If we are going to talk about poor roads lets talk about POrtugals, Italy,s
Poland , Romania,Slovakia, Czheckrepublic, even some parts in cologne, dresden, lets not even talk about Great britain there are worst that some that you are indicating.
Old June 21st, 2006, 03:01 AM   #275
boricuba
BANNED

When it comes to the U.S system it is very selective that the angry asian which is not even an Engineer picks a internal study of 2003 to only proof that in some parts of the U.S system of roads they are underfunded. And that roads are not to U.S Standards which are their own. I am pretty sure that Germany, France, Italy local goverment and departments of transportation also think they are under budget.

The U.S system is devided into varios entities

Federal goverment fully funds! and Administer
U,S interstate
U.S routes
And other routes and roads under dept. of interior

State goverments They run and fund!

Turnpikes, State roads, Highway, freeway expressway

County and Cities form Expressway authorities or road and highway authorities. they are local funded for maintanace but they get state money to build City and County expressway, streets, roads, streets, boulevards etc..

Municipalities they mainly get there money form counties and State but the Municiaplity must mantain it.

Municipal roads, service roads, streets, avenues

The U.S system is to vast even to compare with germany or which ever country!

I have travelled in Europes Highways like the Autobahn it is the best in Europe but not the best in the world by far. And many countries like Portugal, Italy, greece, hungy, Poland check republic road are still not roads that belong to industrilize countries.

For Exa,ple i think that South Afica, Australia, and Japan have better roads than Europe.
Old June 21st, 2006, 03:47 AM   #276
phnzn2

Quote:
I am not talking about density! At All
which means I do not have the right to mention it, either ???????? Given the fact that you claimed the US to be "BEST", and given the fact that a good system might be of considerable density.

Quote:
You confused personal experiences with your that is why thery are called personal experience.

Let me tell you you butt in into every single argument that i made trolling around all forums looking for me!

You are always looking and talking about something else.

I am an engineer and you are not!
I'm not talking about "something else". Sorry buddy, I'm talking about how the US Interstate might be the "best" system in the world, which is a subject YOU initiated. I'd like to learn more about how your "personal experiences" being an "engineer" have taught you that the US Interstate is superior to any other highway network, a point you have not yet proven and which is very interesting indeed.

Quote:
If we are going to talk about poor roads lets talk about POrtugals, Italy,Poland , Romania,Slovakia, Czheckrepublic, even some parts in cologne, dresden, lets not even talk about Great britain there are worst that some that you are indicating.
I don't care about poor roads (if any) in Portugal, Italy, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, the Czech Republic or in some parts around Cologne, Dresden, or Great Britain. What I do care about, on the contrary, is if the following statement can be considered acceptable:

The US Interstate is the best system in the world.

Last edited by phnzn2; June 21st, 2006 at 07:35 PM.
Old June 21st, 2006, 03:57 AM   #277
phnzn2

Quote:
When it comes to the U.S system it is very selective that the angry asian which is not even an Engineer picks a internal study of 2003 to only proof that in some parts of the U.S system of roads they are underfunded. And that roads are not to U.S Standards which are their own. I am pretty sure that Germany, France, Italy local goverment and departments of transportation also think they are under budget.
For the n time boricuba has failed to prove he has the competency to read and understand simple English. The 2003 Study does not vaguely point to "some parts of the US system that are underfunded." Indeed, the study says: a very considerable portion of US road system is not in good condition.

Also, you stated that the US standard for highway is higher than the one used in other parts of the world. I am so sorry to tell you: this is simply ridiculous ! Standards may vary, but what is the silly Department of Transport to set them so high that practically HALF a nation's network is deemed unsatisfactory ??????? Sorry buddy, such high proportions can mean only one thing: that US highways are seriously problematic. And the common perception that Interstate sucks is not exactly unfounded, either !!!!

When I pointed out a study suggesting Boeing violating WTO subsidy laws, you said the study goes back to the Arms Race period and is therefore unreliable. You did not further justify. Now once again boricuba is finding a pretext to disqualify a study, this for the X time shows how skewd you are.

Quote:
The U.S system is devided into varios entities

Federal goverment fully funds! and Administer
U,S interstate
U.S routes
And other routes and roads under dept. of interior

State goverments They run and fund!

Turnpikes, State roads, Highway, freeway expressway

County and Cities form Expressway authorities or road and highway authorities. they are local funded for maintanace but they get state money to build City and County expressway, streets, roads, streets, boulevards etc..

Municipalities they mainly get there money form counties and State but the Municiaplity must mantain it.

Municipal roads, service roads, streets, avenues

The U.S system is to vast even to compare with germany or which ever country!

I have travelled in Europes Highways like the Autobahn it is the best in Europe but not the best in the world by far. And many countries like Portugal, Italy, greece, hungy, Poland check republic road are still not roads that belong to industrilize countries.

For Exa,ple i think that South Afica, Australia, and Japan have better roads than Europe.
Juggling with tons of "facts" in a last desperate attempt to mess up everything again, I see... You seem so quiet about the unseeming coincidence of Germans admiring Georgia - and not any other state's - 's highway ???????????

Last edited by phnzn2; June 21st, 2006 at 07:30 PM.
Old June 21st, 2006, 04:42 AM   #278
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
By the way, do you really know anything about Portuguese roads? Some 10 or 20 years ago they were bad, that's true, but nowadays we have fine motorways. And believe me, I wouldn't trade Portuguese motorways condition by american interstates ever!
We have a network (which can and is being improved in terms of extension) of modern motorways in excelent condicions. Much better than the conditions of the average interstate I'm sure.

Quote:
But what you think shouldn't be taken very seriously, right?
Old June 21st, 2006, 11:46 AM   #279
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:

Thats as of 2001 now its totally different many cities and states are having highways repaved or widened or have already done so at the turn of the century we realized our roads have fallen behind with quality and we are doing something about it. Go drive on a freshly paved or repaved highway in america its an extremely smooth ride.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 01:11 AM   #280
2000_Watts

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by minato ku

Go to the Chicago, Kansas City, or New Orleans urban areas and see how good the interstates are...
2000_Watts no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban