daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 1st, 2008, 03:52 AM   #2821
G5man
High Speed Rail fan

Likes (Received): 37

Curious, wouldn't have it been better to have police metering traffic onto the freeway out so that traffic could flow at around 45 mph/70 kmh? Or is it better to let contraflow jam like this?
G5man no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 1st, 2008, 05:25 AM   #2822
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506 View Post
Thanks! No it is not. In Washington, it kind of goes something like this:

starts out 2x4
Milepost 1: 2x3 with a middle reversible 2-lane HOV for about 8 miles
Milepost 8: 2x4 again
Milepost 15: 2x3
Milepost 20+: 2x4

Then past that section when you reach around milepost 50-60 or so, it drops down to a 2x2 for central Washington. In rural areas, there is really no need for a 2x3. I heard that in some areas, it's not even a dual carriageway, although I haven't confirmed it with anyone. I should go check out Google Maps when I have time.
I-90 just east of Lookout Pass in Montana was 4 lanes undivided, but a concrete barrier was installed that section within the past few years.

I-90 is entirely dual-carriageway now.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 10:12 AM   #2823
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3706

Hey HAWC1506, has lane discipline improved in Seattle area ever since police start enforcing it?
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 11:44 AM   #2824
Grayproduct
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBoi View Post
Seriously, that is a beautiful picture.
Updated view

I-90 floating bridge

Can you spot the left lane driver?

Random I-90 e/w bound shots:

(all taken by myself)
Grayproduct no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 12:34 AM   #2825
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Lane disipline is non-existent in the Seattle area. People are still in the left lanes. Trucks are still in the passing lane. Nothing's gotten better. As far as I can see, nothing will get better. Politicians just ignore the issue, highway patrol just want money from speeding tickets, and traffic law enforcement in Washington State is still an absolute joke.

Here's an article I wrote about the issue. It talks about everything from statistics to laws and enforcement: http://www.autosavant.com/2008/08/28...-on-the-right/

Leave a comment please :]
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 01:38 AM   #2826
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayproduct View Post
Updated view

(all taken by myself)
Where these pictures are taken?
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 01:42 AM   #2827
LtBk

Quote:
Lane disipline is non-existent in the Seattle area. People are still in the left lanes. Trucks are still in the passing lane. Nothing's gotten better. As far as I can see, nothing will get better. Politicians just ignore the issue, highway patrol just want money from speeding tickets, and traffic law enforcement in Washington State is still an absolute joke.

Here's an article I wrote about the issue. It talks about everything from statistics to laws and enforcement: http://www.autosavant.com/2008/08/28...-on-the-right/

Leave a comment please :]
No surprise there. I don't think anybody is going to know lane discipline unless there is there in people's mentality on this regard. And there are some people think American drivers are disciplined!
Old September 2nd, 2008, 02:03 AM   #2828
HAWC1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
No surprise there. I don't think anybody is going to know lane discipline unless there is there in people's mentality on this regard. And there are some people think American drivers are disciplined!
American drivers are far from disciplined. I don't think I've seen any developed country with worse drivers than the United States.

There are countries who have drivers that follow the law and drive well. There are also countries who have drivers who don't follow the law, but drive well. Then there are countries where drivers follow the law, but aren't the best drivers. Finally we have the United States, which is a country where drivers neither drive well nor follow the law.

If the United States were to undergo Germany's drivers ed program today, I won't have any doubt that at least 30% of the drivers would be eliminated from American roads.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 02:17 AM   #2829
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
I noticed both of my teenage sisters staying in the left lane of the hightway. When I asked them about it (both have passed driver’s ed), neither claimed to know what I was talking about and argued the fact with me. It’s clearly an education issue.
So some Americans don't even know the left lane is overtake-only? I wonder how many that would be (%).
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 02:25 AM   #2830
LtBk

Which countries have you been?
Old September 2nd, 2008, 03:09 AM   #2831
Grayproduct
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
Where these pictures are taken?
These were taken near Vantage, Washington. Here is a more complete view if you'd like.

Pano:
http://img527.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pano11ta5.jpg

South

North
Old September 2nd, 2008, 03:27 AM   #2832
HAWC1506

Quote:
Which countries have you been?
UK, France, Japan, Taiwan (developing country with some of the most skilled drivers, although they don't follow the rules), U.S., Canada. Looking forward to Germany and Italy in a few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
So some Americans don't even know the left lane is overtake-only? I wonder how many that would be (%).
Not only some. Most don't even know the left lane is for overtake only. The law is clearly stated in the drivers manual, but it's not practiced, nor is it known by the majority of the drivers.

In the rural areas though, people do keep right except to pass. Although I suspect it is more of people being courteous rather than obeying the law. There are signs that say 'keep right except to pass' though. If you look at the picture above posted by Grayproduct, you'll notice that trucks stick to the right side of the road.

Generally, people who live in rural areas know the law better than people in urban areas, which is understandable because traffic volume is so low in rural areas. The argument is that in urban areas, there is too much congestion to enforce the law. Well what about the 16 hours of the day that are NOT congested? People are still driving in the passing lane when there is no congestion.

Last edited by HAWC1506; September 2nd, 2008 at 03:33 AM.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 03:37 AM   #2833
HAWC1506

Oh and btw, welcome to the thread Grayproduct :]
Old September 2nd, 2008, 05:28 AM   #2834
Grayproduct
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Oh and btw, welcome to the thread Grayproduct :]
Thanks! I'm glad to be in the company of intelligent individuals.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 11:55 AM   #2835
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Quote:
And there are some people think American drivers are disciplined!
Actually, I hear it all the time from people visiting the states.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 12:15 PM   #2836
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Sometimes they're quite dangerous and reckless, sometimes they're good. Personally I think Dutch drivers drive a little more careful
Old September 2nd, 2008, 02:26 PM   #2837
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Nice view of the I-10 west of Baton Rouge, LA.

[IMG]http://i37.************/rtnxg8.jpg[/IMG]
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 02:57 PM   #2838
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Generally, people who live in rural areas know the law better than people in urban areas, which is understandable because traffic volume is so low in rural areas. The argument is that in urban areas, there is too much congestion to enforce the law. Well what about the 16 hours of the day that are NOT congested? People are still driving in the passing lane when there is no congestion.
I'd say people in cities are lazy to change lanes all the time (beside some/most of them not even knowing about the law).
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 08:49 PM   #2839
LtBk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Actually, I hear it all the time from people visiting the states.
They haven't driven much than. Come drive to MD and see how "disciplined" drivers are.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 05:07 AM   #2840
HAWC1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I'd say people in cities are lazy to change lanes all the time (beside some/most of them not even knowing about the law).
Ohhhhhh no they are not lazy to change lanes. I drove today during rush hour and everyone was weaving in and out. Especially during exits. If you leave enough space between you and the car in front of you, chances are someone is going to cut in for no reason at all.

I did notice though on State Route 520, *many* people keep right except to pass. It's two lanes with the carpool lane on the right (which is a bad idea and causes lots of uneccessary weaving). Truck traffic is restricted to only the right lane (general purpose lane), so even though traffic was rather heavy, everyone could drive above the speed limit at around 65-70 mph. I was impressed. Things would be even better if the carpool lane was just a shoulder that will open to carpool traffic during rush hours. I think that is the way it should be for all highways, instead of having an additional lane on the left or right.

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban