daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 13th, 2008, 11:43 PM   #2921
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

I was very interested in the LA metropolitan area a while ago, and did some research on it's freeways.

I made a list of the metropolitan area (not as defined by the CSA, but by build up area, so including inland empire, but not the desert area's of SB and RIV county.

This list contains the number of kilometers of a certain road width compared to the total mileage. Exit only or weaving lanes are not counted here, only through lanes. Parallel lanes are accumulated, but only if they're through lanes, there aren't many of them in LA (there should be more though).

2x2 = 82 km / 1384km
2x3 = 304 km / 1384km
2x4 = 291km / 1384km
2x5 = 586km / 1384km
2x6 = 110km / 1384km
2x7 = 14km / 1384km
2x8 = 2km / 1384km
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 14th, 2008, 12:20 AM   #2922
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Old September 14th, 2008, 03:47 AM   #2923
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19156

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Wow it looks bad.
But when thousands of people moving every year to hurricane prone areas it will only get worse.
I don't get why people migrate to the low lying areas of the Gulf.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 05:17 AM   #2924
jchernin

Likes (Received): 536

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
On the picture above, if you continue driving toward San Francisco, you will soon (~1 km ahead) find yourself on a 2x2 motorway. It's not a big deal since most of traffic exits at CA-99. Prior to this junction, I-80 has 4 lanes in W/B direction.
im afraid ur mistaken. unless i misunderstand u.

the freeway (thats i-80) never gets smaller than 2x3 (thats three thru lanes in each direction) between sacramento and san francisco, and its mostly four. Its doesnt get smaller than three lanes in the other direction (eastbound) until after auburn!

i just drove it so im sure of this fact (from tahoe). i also just checked on google maps.
jchernin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 05:27 AM   #2925
[email protected]
aberdonian

Likes (Received): 2

Dann 1113. The biggest bits of Interstate construction that I know of going on right now are: I 99 around State College in PA. (this will eventually extend to I 86 at Corning NY by upgrading US 15.) I 22 in MI/AL the conversion of US 78 to Interstate between Memphis and Birmingham( almost complete). The conversion of NY 17 to I 86 in New York State.
crieffite@comcast.ne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 09:36 AM   #2926
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchernin View Post
im afraid ur mistaken. unless i misunderstand u.
Yeah, I was wrong on this one. And I drove there as recently as 2 months ago My everyday routine for 3+ years was US-50.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 08:20 AM   #2927
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
*sigh* there goes our tax dollars...
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 03:46 AM   #2928
HAWC1506

Hey check out this project.

I-5 - Boeing Access Road to King/Snohomish County Line Pavement Repair

Project Status: August 2008

We have begun design work.
Construction will begin in early 2009 and will be complete by the end of the year.
Drivers should expect between eight and 14 weekend closures in which one direction of I-5 will be reduced to just two lanes of traffic. At times only one lane will be open.
We're also planning on at least 100 overnight closures with one direction of I-5 reduced to one or two lanes of traffic.

The pavement on I-5 in King County is more than 40 years old, twice its planned design life. Crews will replace deteriorating concrete panels in both directions and in the express lanes.

Heavy truck traffic has resulted in extensive cracking.

Crews will also repave the NE 50th St. on-ramp to southbound I-5.

Keep in mind though, this project is for 'emergency repairs,' meaning that it's not the entire roadway that is being replaced. It's just the worst of the worst that is being replaced and will act as a 'long-term temporary' solution before the I-5 reconstruction. Don't ask me when, I doubt that even god knows when that will be. For those of you wondering, the pavement is 9-inch thick Portland Cement Concrete. The pavement is so bad right now it looks and feels like driving on cobblestone. Almost like this:

Last edited by HAWC1506; September 17th, 2008 at 03:52 AM.
Old September 17th, 2008, 06:45 AM   #2929
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Two words:

'Studded tires'

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 08:39 AM   #2930
urbanlover
Living for the city

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1113 View Post
Any current significant freeway projects of note in the US?

I know one of about 15 mi or so is opening in just a few days in the Salt Lake City metro. Any others?
In Detroit, MDOT is just of over half finished with the Ambassador Bridge Gateway. The bridge carries most of the surface trade between the US and Canada and did not have direct freeway access to I-75 for trucks which clogged local streets. So the state is spending $200 million to build the new interchange, and rebuild nearby parts of 75 and 96. Work should be complete in the fall of 2009.

Project homepage
http://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0,1607,...614---,00.html

Before

After

The Detroit Free Press recently did an update on the project with a number construction pics

Trucks line up to haul away dirt, part of a continuous loop of big rigs removing materials from the massive construction site at the Ambassador Bridge Gateway project

This pylon will help support the cable-stayed pedestrian overpass at Bagley in southwest Detroit

The Ambassador Bridge looms in the left behind a skyscape of construction cranes and roads and bridges in development

Tim Keener, 43, of Madison Heights works on steel girders supporting what will be a ramp from southbound I-75 to the new Ambassador Bridge plaza when it reopens in fall 2009

Expanded polystyrene foam is widely used as a lightweight replacement for unstable soils. Because it's lighter than dirt and gravel, it puts less pressure on retaining walls, and its density makes it stronger than it looks

These piers ultimately will support a ramp from the Ambassador Bridge plaza to southbound I-75.

urbanlover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 01:01 PM   #2931
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post

Two words:

'Studded tires'

Mike
No self-respecting road authority would leave the pavement the same for 40 years on a busy freeway. Even concrete doesn't last that long.
Old September 17th, 2008, 04:09 PM   #2932
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Urbanlover, any word on what Ontario MTO is gonna do about Huron Church Road from the bridge to the 401? I know throughout the years, we've heard from several Windsor ppl that are sick of the stop and go truck traffic that's making their city's pollution and traffic so bad.
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 06:13 PM   #2933
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Why did it take them so long? I also wonder why border crossings with Mexico are so unconnected.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 08:26 PM   #2934
pwalker

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506 View Post
Hey check out this project.

I-5 - Boeing Access Road to King/Snohomish County Line Pavement Repair

Project Status: August 2008

We have begun design work.
Construction will begin in early 2009 and will be complete by the end of the year.
Drivers should expect between eight and 14 weekend closures in which one direction of I-5 will be reduced to just two lanes of traffic. At times only one lane will be open.
We're also planning on at least 100 overnight closures with one direction of I-5 reduced to one or two lanes of traffic.

The pavement on I-5 in King County is more than 40 years old, twice its planned design life. Crews will replace deteriorating concrete panels in both directions and in the express lanes.

Heavy truck traffic has resulted in extensive cracking.

Crews will also repave the NE 50th St. on-ramp to southbound I-5.

Keep in mind though, this project is for 'emergency repairs,' meaning that it's not the entire roadway that is being replaced. It's just the worst of the worst that is being replaced and will act as a 'long-term temporary' solution before the I-5 reconstruction. Don't ask me when, I doubt that even god knows when that will be. For those of you wondering, the pavement is 9-inch thick Portland Cement Concrete. The pavement is so bad right now it looks and feels like driving on cobblestone. Almost like this:

"long-term temporary"

Only in Seattle!
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2008, 03:13 AM   #2935
HAWC1506

@Urbanlover

Those are some sweet looking bridge piers!
Old September 18th, 2008, 04:24 PM   #2936
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNN
MINNEAPOLIS, Minnesota (AP) -- The new Interstate 35W bridge is open in Minneapolis, a little more than a year after the last one collapsed into the Mississippi River.

A procession of vehicles led by state troopers, emergency vehicles and state highway trucks led motorists across the bridge in both directions shortly after 5 a.m. Thursday.

Traffic was heavy as a mix of cars, motorcycles, trucks and buses started streaming across the bridge. Vehicles moved slowly at first, but then picked up speed.

Many vehicles honked their horns as they drove across and a few motorists waved American flags.

The $234 million bridge was completed on budget and more than three months ahead of the December 24 deadline. That means the contractors -- led by the team of Flatiron Construction Corp. of Longmont, Colorado, and Manson Construction Co. of Seattle, Washington -- should get a bonus close to the contract maximum of $27 million, though the actual amount hasn't been determined.
That's fast

Old September 18th, 2008, 06:14 PM   #2937
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Hopefully this one will hold better than the last one
Old September 18th, 2008, 08:48 PM   #2938
hoosier

Likes (Received): 60

Quote:
I noticed this freeway in St. Louis, the SR-364, which carries 48.000 vehicles a day, but has an insane 12 lanes! Why the hell is that?
(this picture shows the 10-lane section).
It serves a rapidly growing suburban area and that picture is taken where SR 364 merges with SR 94.
Old September 18th, 2008, 08:57 PM   #2939
hoosier

Likes (Received): 60

U.S. 31 upgrades get under way
Upgrades in Kokomo and South Bend will be backbone of area's development, Daniels says

By Dan McFeely
[email protected]

KOKOMO, Ind. -- Two key segments of the $1 billion upgrade of U.S. 31 had their groundbreakings Wednesday, marking the start of a South Bend-to-Indianapolis highway project that Gov. Mitch Daniels believes will be the future backbone of an economic development boom for north-central Indiana.

Noting specifically the potential for developing the former Grissom Air Force Base in Peru -- home to Indiana's longest runway at 12,501 feet -- now being marketed as the Grissom Aeroplex, Daniels said the U.S. 31 project will be vital in attracting new business opportunities.

"I don't know yet what it will be," Daniels said, "but I know this highway is going to help economic development flourish and make Northern Indiana even more attractive to businesses."

The former Air Force base, just north of Kokomo, is now controlled by the Miami County Economic Development Authority, which markets it as a potential industrial park and air facility with 170,000 square feet of hangar space and a nearby 360-acre park for industrial use.

Standing in a cornfield a few miles east of Kokomo, Daniels helped turn the first official spades of dirt for the $345 million Kokomo bypass -- actually, the city's second bypass -- a 14-mile interstate-quality highway that will replace the current bypass built in 1952.

Earlier in the day, Daniels did the same thing in South Bend, where the northern tier of the upgrade also got under way.

The final link -- a stretch of U.S. 31 that rolls through Westfield and Carmel -- is not as far along in the process, but officials hope to have environmental studies completed by the end of the year.

Dennis Faulkenberg, executive director of the U.S. 31 Coalition, believes Hoosier drivers will be able to cruise from Indy to South Bend with no stoplights and little congestion by 2017.

That's good news for motorists who have long dreaded the congestion of "stoplight city."

"It's awful. The stopping and starting, stopping and starting . . . then when you get it going again, boom, you have to stop again," said 46-year-old truck driver Tony Tharp, who was hauling plastic from Elkhart to Kentucky on Wednesday afternoon when he stopped at a fast-food restaurant for a break.

"I think this new highway will save us about 30 minutes of fighting through this mess," he said.

State officials are not sure exactly how much time will be saved, as traffic patterns change dramatically in Kokomo, thanks to major factories that have shift changes coinciding with rush hour.

James Bunch, 41, grew up in Kokomo and, like most locals, he knows when to avoid the highway: "Six to 7 a.m., the noon lunch hour, the 2 p.m. shift changes and 5 to 6 p.m.," when local drivers flood the bypass and mingle with semis and statewide traffic.

"The stoplights are not in sync at all," said Bunch, who works at a roadside flag and sign store on the northern edge of the city. "Sometimes you have to sit through five light changes."

While the news of a new bypass is good for motorists, it might not be so good for fast-food restaurants and other businesses that have thrived on the state traffic for years.

"I think a lot of these places are going to miss that traffic," Bunch said.

But Kokomo Mayor Greg Goodnight thinks smart planning can prevent too many businesses from suffering.

Wednesday's groundbreaking took place less than three miles from the current U.S. 31, along a county road that will be the focal point of the first part of the new project. HIS Constructors has been hired to build a two-span bridge that will carry local traffic over the new bypass.

Work will begin by mid-October, according to Terry Morgan, president of the firm.

Between now and 2013, the Indiana Department of Transportation will let 10 more contracts to complete the project, which will be paid for by Daniels' Major Moves money, proceeds from the lease of the Indiana Toll Road.
Old September 18th, 2008, 09:05 PM   #2940
ChrisZwolle
Road user

However I hardly can believe that there are really large congestion problems on the US 31, aren't they thinking of making it an Interstate Highway? Maybe extending it into Michigan to Benton Harbor off the top of my head.

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban