daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 26th, 2008, 11:21 PM   #3121
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Older Belgian drivers are educated by their parents. Driving education isn't very well and my experience is that they are worst in Wallonia. I experienced more dangerous situations in the few times a year I drive there than the rest of the year in the Netherlands.

But I heard US drivers ed is very bad. They say "2 rounds around the block and you get your license" here. I don't know if that's true, seems exagerated to me.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 26th, 2008, 11:22 PM   #3122
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

According to some of my (American) friends, it only cost them about $100 to get lessons and a licence. To me this looks like 3 or 4 lessons, no more. However, I could just be American exaggeratism.

Chris: shouldn't "more worse" be "worst"?
Old October 26th, 2008, 11:25 PM   #3123
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Not, if you're drunk.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2008, 11:26 PM   #3124
ChrisZwolle
Road user

thank you

I have spend about € 1500,- / $ 2000 on my license, which I got pretty fast for Dutch standards (24 lessons, passed theory and practice exam in the first time).
Old October 26th, 2008, 11:28 PM   #3125
Timon91
Error

I told my friends it costs you an average €2000 to get your license in the Netherlands, and they were all stunned. I don't think I'll get it because I just can't afford it. I mean, I don't earn millions as an Assistant Floor Manager at Albert Heijn.
Old October 26th, 2008, 11:30 PM   #3126
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I payed for my license by working at Albert Heijn (Dutch market leader in supermarkets)
Old October 26th, 2008, 11:33 PM   #3127
Timon91
Error

Really? How long did you work there? I work at AH now for about 1½ years, and I don't earn lots of money. Anyways, I get a higher wage in a few weeks because it's my birthday soon. That'll be another €0,50 extra per hour. Quite ok!
Old October 26th, 2008, 11:36 PM   #3128
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I worked there 24 - 32 hours a week, so it adds up then.

What about this American drivers license? An exam alone costs like € 180 or something in the Netherlands. But I heard American students on high school also have classes about drivers ed. They should do that too in the Netherlands.
Old October 26th, 2008, 11:37 PM   #3129
Timon91
Error

An American drivers license is $35, AFAIK.
Old October 27th, 2008, 12:29 AM   #3130
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3706

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Older Belgian drivers are educated by their parents. Driving education isn't very well and my experience is that they are worst in Wallonia. I experienced more dangerous situations in the few times a year I drive there than the rest of the year in the Netherlands.
That's how you learn to be driver in the states.BTW, are there any regional differences in terms of driving habits in Belgium?
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 12:35 AM   #3131
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post

But I heard US drivers ed is very bad. They say "2 rounds around the block and you get your license" here. I don't know if that's true, seems exagerated to me.
I just took drivers ed. It's a complete joke. What you said was not exagerrated. To get your drivers permit, you don't even need to take drivers ed. All you have to do is go to the Department of Motoring, take a test about some basic rules of the road, and if you pass, you get a permit. Six months later after you've practiced a bit, you take the written test again, take the pointless 'driving' test, show them you can read 12-point font and you get your license.

Oh by the way, motorway driving is NOT part of the test.

Americans don't even need drivers ed to get a license. It's quite sad. My dad was trained in Taiwan (pretty strict training), and when he was driving here in the U.S., a police officer was impressed that he could parallel park in a small space.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 12:41 AM   #3132
LtBk

In MD, you have to take a 20 question quiz to get a permit, than take 30 hours of driving class(I think) plus 6 hrs driving with the teacher, and 60 hours of driving with you parent or somebody who is 21 and has been driving for at least 3 years. Than after 6 months, you go to the local DMV and do a driving test, which is all about parallel parking, 3 point turns, turning into intersection, and parking! If you pass, you get you license.

Last edited by LtBk; May 17th, 2009 at 06:25 AM.
Old October 27th, 2008, 01:20 AM   #3133
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
BTW, are there any regional differences in terms of driving habits in Belgium?
Wallonia (worse) vs. Flanders (better), I think.
Old October 27th, 2008, 01:26 AM   #3134
7t

Getting a driver's licence in New Jersey is like getting a tooth pulled out of you without any anesthetic.
You have to complete a 50 question test in the computer and questions are different each time you go there. And you have to wait 1 week before you can redo the test again.
On top of that, you have to wait 1 month till you go for the driving test.

In California it's a bit easier but what sucks about it is that you only have 3 chances to get the written test right. 30 questions and you can only get 6 wrong.
Once you fail you'd have to start the procedure all over again. They'll take your photo, you pay a new $28 fee... etc
But there's no waiting time like in Jersey though.
7t no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 01:41 AM   #3135
LtBk

Keep in mind that the steps I mentioned for getting a license was a recent change 5 years ago. Before that, it was MUCH easier to get a license here.
Old October 27th, 2008, 02:47 AM   #3136
HAWC1506

No matter what, US drivers ed is not up to modern standards. I don't know what is up with Americans but they all think that they deserve to have everything, and the government is allowing them to do that.

Well you know how that turned out, we practically ruined the world economy...
Old October 27th, 2008, 08:00 AM   #3137
HAWC1506

btw, I'm performing with the Seattle Symphony in March if anyone's interested lol
Old October 27th, 2008, 09:18 AM   #3138
busterrobertson

Likes (Received): 0

yeah they have talked about the trans texas corridor...some of my friends have had land bought to create it, but theyve shut up about it due to the gas prices...however in texas the texas government has said the speed limit will be 85mph.

it will be wider than a football field containing train tracks, truck highway and car highway
busterrobertson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 10:22 AM   #3139
Timon91
Error

Sorry, it will be a little far and expensive for me
Regarding all said above about obtaining your drivers license, there seem to be differences in how difficult it is to get it. Besides NJ, are there any other states where it is very difficult to get? I wonder if people go to the ''easy'' states if they live in a "difficult" state, if you know what I mean.
Old October 28th, 2008, 12:57 AM   #3140
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowledge View Post
I encourage people discussing the NAFTA superhighway a rail way issue, to please dig deeper. The Security and Prosperity Partnership agreement put into play by Bush in 2005 leads us down a narrow path that we can never turn around once we head down it. The first red flags are that the SPP was never voted on by congress or the parliament. Yes this might help will congested roads, but you have to look at the bigger picture. One once built they will effectively be able to now by-pass our union ran dock yards and ship FDP into Mexico via Mexican ports. The drivers will not be American they will be Mexican, they customs they go through will be Mexican smartpods built by our tax dollars here in the states. The drivers will fall under NAFTA regulated driving standards and not U.S. Dept of Road Safety laws. They highways will be tolled out and privatized to foreign and domestic investors and the current one in Texas is leased our for the next 50 years the the Spanish firm Cintra/Zachary. They land layout will be seized through eminent domain, these are cattle ranchers,farmers and everyday people. This will hurt small communities that depends on truck drivers to come through their small towns and create growth. The Mexican truck drivers will have a Citra Pass or EZ pass which is a RFID based ID that will allow for quick passages through customs, this will lead to increased money laundering, smuggling drugs and people. European Union was introduced as a steal trade ideology by think tank groups, later to develop into expansion of trade to merging communities and laws into a group and now a Euro currency and a EU Law. The NAU is not a conspiracy as many would have you believe it is very real, and backed by both parties McCain and Obama. You say not so, The Council on Foreign Relations has laid out plans and research papers to help drive global think tanks to slowly give up our sovereignty in the name of greater good, I can provide pdf. files of speeches if asked. You ask how does Obama apply to this, when asked at a speech in Nebraska he acted like he was oblivious to the NAFTA superhighway and the NAU, Fact: Michelle Obama is a active member of the CFR, Obama himself has spoken their on several occasions. McCain received illegal contributions from the Rothschilds during his campaign running, Rothschild whom are a foreign interest and a branch of many organizations hold investments in the NAFTA superhighway, i.e. JP Morgan, which has been in bed with the org for centuries. I could go on more about this aspect and provide proof, but I want to stick to this topic and not get side tracked. Kansas 3 Millions tax dollar for a smartport for Mexican custom officials, Laredo, TX drug gangs fighting for territory because this city is the bloodline for major trafficking, Laredo is one of the first major cities with the roads being built as we speak. Once this is done we will have our land seized, taxed on our roads, and lose our jobs. This is all in the name of security and prosperity giving you false illusion of democracy. Their is no difference in Republican or Democrat. Please write me back let me know what you think [email protected] also sign my petition http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/sto...ain-for-profit
1:45:16?

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban